[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice on hostels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: just can't win.jpg (20KB, 285x248px) Image search: [Google]
just can't win.jpg
20KB, 285x248px
I've been staying at hostels for years and I need some advice about something, It's probably not a big deal but it's been gnawing at me

>be me
>stay at hostel a week on and off while I day trip
>only two employees, I get along well with one of them
>I often do the dishes while I'm sitting around, cook for whoever is there.
>only the one I get along with is working this one day, and he's "working" sitting on his bunk
>some guests come in looking for him and I go fetch him
>then some more guests come asking about the check out time and I tell them; because I know; because I've been staying a week.
>second hostel guy sees this and asks the one I get on with to give me a telling off for doing their job and risking the guests hearing the wrong thing
>I overhear this, because they are five meters away
>the one I get along with comes out and tells me I'm overstepping the mark
>tell him I get it, point made.
>then the second one sees fit to come out and berate me "you don't work here" "I know you're just trying to help" "you could mes everything up"
he really was quiet rude, and I was offended not only that he didn't just tell me himself
but that after sending someone else to tell me he felt the need to tell me himself again.

Was what I did really deserving of that?
at the risk of sounding like a dick I am a paying guest, and I was just trying to help, and nobody had warned me before

I always try to help people out where I can, and I'm worried now that my efforts are generally misplaced
>>
>>1294760
You are way too agreeable, you're probably the type of person who goes to crazy lengths to help other people while your own life is not so great. If you're still fixated on that little conflict you're probably overly emotional as well. I was just like you, what helped me understand what I was really doing was a book called "No More Mr. Nice Guy" that made me realize I wasn't actually doing these things to be nice. You think that there's some sort of "social contract" where if you act ridiculously polite and motherly then people will give you what you want. It's repulsive behavior and the staff was right to tell you to stop.
>>
>>1294764
that i a very strong opinion and not at all what I expected.
I am a deeply unhappy person, that is why I try to be nice to other people; and while I suppose it's true that I expect something I think everyone does that to some extend and it's not like.

how you make the leap to considering that repulsive I'm not sure.
>>
>>1294768
> I am a deeply unhappy person
THAT is what needs attention, not hostel guests and dishes and other things that are someone else's job. Work on that depression my man, there are many paths you can take to fix your life but trying to get value out of other people by bartering with charity is not one of them.
>>
>>1294770
well that advice is all find and good, but I just want to know if they guy at the hostel was being an asshole; not the subliminal reason it bothered me so much
>>
>>1294774
I'm the guy that called you a cuck. The way you tell it it seems that they are dickheads, yes, both hostel owner and guy who complained.

You just seem autistic to me. Work on that.
>>
>>1294774
It sounds like they are assholes but they are right.
>>
>>1294778
>>1294781
yea that's about the conclusion I came to, thanks guys

I'm on a long term trip and I've been more drifting that traveling as of late, really I want to stay somewhere longer term but nowhere seems to work out for me
>>
>>1294774
Because you give em the creeps.

You're supposed to be just polite with the staff, eventually get a drink with them if they like mingling with the travelers and that's all.
Not spending way too much time in the hostel doing a job that is not yours, and being overly clingy.
>>
>>1294786
You should check out workaway.info or WWOOF, it's mentally and spiritually boring to drift without having some task to do and having an entire new group of people around you every day.
>>
If you're unhappy and want to help people, you should volunteer with people that actually need help, you should not do some lazy asshole's job for him in the hopes that he will validate you.
>>
>>1294760
You never know what kind of day some people are going through. That's my general approach to dealing with conflicts with people I don't know. Maybe his car broke down on him, the bills are piling up, and his girlfriend is screwing the mailman. You're on travel mode, so everything is a bit more relaxing and carefree from your perspective. But for all you know, other people around you are going through some shit.

From your story, I don't think you're in the wrong at all. For all you know the guy was just venting some frustration out on you because he thought he could get away with it.

Brush it off and continue being chill and helpful. If this happens again then it's a cause for alarm.
>>
>>1294805
haha that's on point criticizm

actually I was going to do some volunteering so I decided to stay in a Cambodian town where a program was kicking off; but after a week I lost the desire to help the people.
Unfortunately I find a lot of volunteering requires skills I don't have, the world needs doctors and teachers not backpackers

>>1294823
I figured he was venting on me because I was doing his co-workers job while the co-worker was playing football manager
not sure really
>>
>>1294840
So volunteer at home. Visit the elderly, feed the hungry, etc. etc.

Helping people isn't something you have to fly all over the world to do.
>>
>>1294846
I used to do runs for the bread at the end of the day for the homeless/dysfunctional, but we got shut down by the bakery corporate offices
"the homeless might get sick and sue you"

I told corporate I was broke, which they should have known because they write my payroll; and that suing me would be a fruitless effort

Charity work is really hard
>>
>>1294849
No, it isn't.

If you don't want to get sued, work with an established charity group in your area.

As sure as there's air to breath, there's a charity in your area looking for people to deliver meals to the elderly and visit with them.
>>
Hey OP, don't listen to the other faggots that replied to the thread telling you're a cuck or offending you. I perfectly understand how you feel because I think me and you have a very similar carácter, we both want to help other people and we both feel very unhappy and a bit hurt when the people we wanted to help don't recognize this or worst, they get angry for this. The fact is, I still think the two guys were in the right here.

If the Infos you gave to the guests were wrong, the two guys would have been in troubles. If the owner of the place arrives and he sees that a guest like you was working as a receptionist, the two guys would have been in trouble. It's understandable that they wanted to draw a line, sure maybe they were a bit harsh about it, but you're in the hostel to have fun and rest, they're working there. Sorry for the bad English, but I'm writing on my phone.
>>
>>1294768
You may be a number two on the enneagram, or in that point right now due to stress. Imo, you didn't deserve a berating by the hostal "staff" not doing there job. However, it is not your place to do there job, simply direct the other guests to them.
>>
>>1294760
is that the guy who died from mt. vesuvius?
>>
>>1295110
actually, yes.
>>
>>1294760

>tell another guest the check out time
>the cunts working there abuse you

should have told them to get fucked and left
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.