[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpacking stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1776.jpg (379KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1776.jpg
379KB, 1080x1080px
Can you guys share some backpacking stories. I'm quitting my job soon to back pack and want to feel the hype
>>
>me and a couple friends decide to hike near a volcano
>they fall in and die
not worth it anon, just keep your job
>>
>>1291205
Fuck, thanks for heads up bro <3
>>
>>1291139
backpacking can be a real eye opener as to how beautiful the world is. Of course there is two sides and you'll see how horrible the world can be. Some of my greatest memories are from backpacking and so are some of my worst
>>
I quit my job, went backpacking for 6 months and now ive been unemployed for 6 months looking for a job.

I'm fed up and might fuck off and go travel again and perhaps do a working visa.

Thankfully I worked my ass up and saved up a ton of money before my trip so i still have decent amount of funds to get by.
>>
Its cool. Rustling through your bag to find your shit can become a huge pain though so i'd recommend packing relatively light.
>>
File: 1285488607993s.jpg (3KB, 126x120px) Image search: [Google]
1285488607993s.jpg
3KB, 126x120px
>lining up at a Starbucks in HK once.
>suddenly a strong smell of unwashed feet
>backpackers with their pig disgusting hiking boots hanged to their huge backpacks, wearing flip flops that were apparently their only pair of spare shoes.
>they look around them with disgusted faces as if they were in the 7th ring of hell, hippies don't like big corporate fascist companies or whatever they consider Starucks.
>complain they could "literally be anywhere in the world, there's nothing remotely authentic".
>making fun of souvenir cups they sell at Starbucks "who travels the world to bring a fucking Starbucks souvenir?"
I do, bitch.
>taking up the equivalent of 8 seats, they were 3.
>leeching off Wi-Fi and air con, stinking up the place.
>mfw they were still in the shop when I passed by several hours later. The cups of the drinks they purchased still in front of them, they didn't even buy again.

Don't piss on globalization while being happy to benefit from it, retards.

This was my backpacking story.
>>
>>1291649
you sound salty you dont have like-minded friends to travel with
>>
>>1291704
What? How do you gather that from my post?
>>
>>1291139
It's fun and you learn how to roll your clothes instead of folding them.

Please do not be an embarassment for your country and anyone who might resemble you.

Also
> pack light and normal (no need for huge hiking boots and a full computer setup)
> money runs fast
> talk to people, a lot : you'll remember meeting a lot more than food or architecture
> there is no point to dive into the most bumfuck part of the country to feel like you're in the "real" [insert country], just ask and let people point you to the nice places, whether cities or towns
> always have TP on you

My personal tip : always have some sort of ice breaker to make acquaintances in rural area. Magic tricks, drinking games, juggling, etc... It helps to open people, even with the language gap.
>>
Anybody got any recommendations for a good backpack? I'm very interested in backpacking and want to take a month or so next summer to do it somewhere. Also, recommendations for places would be appreciated if you guys have any great ideas. Thanks.
>>
>>1291815
See >>>1282863
>>
>>1291205
Is this real?
>>
>>1291649
You should have told them off
>>
>>1291632
Get a front-loading backpack, not a top or side-loading.
>>
>>1291649
Yeah those souvenir starbuck's cups are actually a very cute idea. I don't collect them myself, but they have a definite appeal.
>>
>>1293436
Yeah I started collecting the large ones but they are expensive and bulky.
A friend who travels a lot used to bring me some, while he was big on HRC T's so I would bring him some too.
Then I've switched to smaller cups, but as a big coffee drinker I tend to use them a lot, thus breaking them on a regular basis.
>>
>>1293436
:3 glad to know ping ping made it for 17 cents in Cambodia while gaybucks makes 17 USD and pays less than 5% income tax? So cutsie though ^.^
>>
>>1291139
staying at hostel in Traveling Destination (TM) and gay guy with us had been everywhere we had been but had also seen and done more. Couldn't say shit without this fag bag trying to outdo us.

>Ohhh did you see <insert small tucked away place> while in <location>?
>ohh then you didn't really SEE <location>.

Also met a religious christian fanatic who was traveling the world to spread the word of god.
>>
>>1293439
>t. Typed from my locally sourced, home grown computer while seated in my 100% organic local wooden chair, siping on my hand harvested, fair trade green tea.

Can't tell if troll or stupid.
>>
>>1291139
>me and friends decided to smuggle a few kilos of mdma to the philipines on our once in a lifetime super special find ourself backpacker trip to the completely unknown and unexplored wild land of SEA
yeah yeah I have so dank stuff, I hate other nigger tier stuffz lad totally worth it
>got private drivers, 5* hotels and our 120l backpacks ready to go
>fuckin cunt of friend get caught by customs
>tells them it's just bantz and they should chill
>they don't buy it
>confiscate the dank as fuck top tier mdma
>had to buy shit tier mdma from the street because that fucker fucked it up fucking cunt
>I guess he is kill or something but who cares right?
>never again
Oh try Poh in Vietnam, totally hidden secret soap water soup that is a mega hidden gem.
>>
This happened recently

>in cologne
>go out and get dinner, then go drinking with canadian bloke i met in my hostel
>we start walking back to the hostel after a few hours
>stumble across age of empires event because gamescon
>ask security if we can come in
>we get in, free beer and food
>at this stage I'm half blind
>all of a sudden, age of empires 4 is announced
>mass hysteria, i don't know what the fuck is happening
>everyone starts to leave, we get freebies (free copy of remastered 1 & 3 games, free beer stein and other random shit
>was a good night
>>
>>1293444
I don't buy things because of their "cute appeal" or whatever gay materialistic consumerism thing you said above.
>>
>>1293622
I'm not the guy you quoted initially, I'm the one he replied to.
I purchase Starbucks souvenir mugs because I drink lots of coffee so I get to see them often, unlike spare coins hidden in a drawer.
They also make nice conversation starters when you bring coffees to your guests and you start talking about trips.

But I guess from the way you post that having friends is probably not your strong suit.
You also sound like you are insecure with your sexuality, just sayin
>>
>>1293933
wow you really told me, glad you got all that from 2 sentences. Back to gaybucks now, don't forget your apple thinkpad and turtleneck sweater!
>>
>>1293439
>:3
>gaybucks
> So cutsie though ^.^

>>1293622
>gay
>>1293950
>Back to gaybucks now

It doesn't even take two sentences tho.
Your overuse of the word "gay" and your ironic use of cute says it all. You hate everything gay and project gayness on irrelevant matters because you have been rejected by women a lot and do not accept being actually aroused by men.
Once you get out of the closet you will enjoy being a Glory-Hole for large Brown men.

:3

^.^
>>
>>1293950
For real. Your superficial standards will (if you're lucky) melt away by your mid-20's and then you can start focusing on really trying to be an honest human being versus someone who's told how to think or how to feel because their rights seemed important when you were 18.

Think for yourself before speaking again, kiddo.
>>
>>1293954
contrived cringe
>>
> GF and I go on fighting spiral,
> yelling, door slamming, crying, everyday
> both have jobs
> we both are medicated
> one day we are walking downtown
> it's so crowded you can barely walk
> stumble into old friend from high school
> he is a real hippie
> tell us he is going to India
> click.wav
> buy him a coffee, tells us all about his plans
> week later we quit our jobs
> convince NGO we'll do some work for them in exchange for roof, food and pocket money
> another week later we land in Kathmandu
> stay 9 months, meet lots of people, make friends, live in the office, have a great, great, life
> both quit meds within 2 weeks
> fighting stops
> best nine months of my life.

> mfw I still live on those memories
>>
>>1293963
So even your cringes aren't spontaneous?
Don't worry it'll pass once you finish high school.
>>
>>1293964
One of the many things that happened:

> come back from breakfast
> while closing the door notice white confused girl walking on street
> she is literally talking to herself and super nervous
> decide to follow her
> she looks pretty crazy
> talk to her
> she is definitely insane
> looks as she has spent some nights out
> dirty but young and beautiful
> only carries small waist bag packed with thousands of rupees she gives to random people
> talks about crossing to India
> she is gonna die if we don't do something
> has thick British accent
> invite her to a milkshake
> convince her to come to "a friend's house"
> house is in reality British embassy
> not working hours so only minimal stuff at embassy
> I enter first. Only local staff, no British in sight
> "how can I help you sir"
> "this is an emergency, I need to speak to someone from the embassy"
> "but sir, I work here"
> "No man, I need to talk to someone that is white, right now"
> white man comes is later
> we're all invited in
> spend the next several hours in the comfy backyard of the embassy
> drinking tea, eating apple crumble and playing badminton while waiting for doctor. I felt British.
> help take girl to local nuthouse
> it's as bad as you'd imagine
> they treat her good and send her back home

> mfw days later a man delivers us a thank you letter with the words "on her majesty's service" written on the envelope
>>
>>1293974
> "No man, I need to talk to someone that is white, right now"
>I felt British
Hell yeah, you did, that post-colonial power move.

Bring in more stories, anon, they're kinda cool.
>>
>>1293974
Good on you, anon.

Gonna burst your bubble though, most UK government letter have "on her Majesty's service" on them, even mundane things like jury duty notifications. Not sure if you were implying the queen personally sent you the note, or if you mentioned it just because you thought it was cool, just checking.
>>
>>1293974
>> "No man, I need to talk to someone that is white, right now"
I try to be open-minded on all sides. Unlike most people, I am actually willing to hear out the apparent racist's side, because there must be a reason. So, what is the reason? I can somewhat understand not trusting darkies, but does that really need to extend to government workers?

What would you have done if they had sent a "white" person, but you suspected him/her of being Jewish? From what I understand, most people who make a big deal about race generally distinguish jews as different from whites.
>>
>>1294243
Pretty obvious if you work in 1/3d world countries: most embassy workers are simply not nationals of the embassy they work for : the guards, the receptionist, the cooks, etc. are all locals to save costs.

Only sensitive posts like secretaries, chief of security, etc are actually nationals.

And if the worker isn't actually British, it's very likely he would have just dismissed this lady. It's sadly how it works.
>>
Backpackers are possibly the worst people on earth.
Stay at home, don't ruin it for both other tourists and natives.
>>
>>1294345
Okay, that actually makes more sense. International issues should definitely be handled by international people, not by locals who aren't completely privy to the situation.

I was just confused by "I need to talk to someone that is white," and it looks like I overanalyzed the post.
>>
>>1294346
There are worse types of travelers than backpackers.

>sex tourists
>self-important resort travelers
>Chinese
>>
>>1294360
why don't you fuck off PC police?

Are you the pali from the other 3d?
>>
>>1293968
whatever you need dude
>>
>>1294369
I wasn't being PC (and 4chan is the worst possible place to even try), I just wanted some clarity. I feel sorry for you, being so angry over nothing.
>>
Don't get on the crowded trains or buses at rush hour with your big awkward backpack. The local commuters will hate you. If sounds like common sense but I've seen too many self centered white girls take up half a carriage with their gigantic backpacks with boots tied to the side, oblivious to the pissed off people around them.
>>
>>1294381
>being so angry over nothing
What's with you cucks and always bringing up "angry"?

Is it because you mellow progressive have been taught that anger=bad and to fear it?

You boast about how passive and doormat tier you are
>>
>>1294436
Well, a complete stranger misunderstood my post, told me to "fuck off," and started calling me names. What other conclusions can I draw besides anger? You're certainly not an old-time friend who is happy to see me again.

It's completely normal to be angry, but I think you're wasting your energy on a simple misunderstanding. Had I personally wronged you in real life, I would be more understanding. I do not fear you for your unwarranted abrasion, for fear of the unknown is what produces ignorance in the first place.
>>
>>1294444
quads don't lie, /trv/ has been so beta cringe contrarian these past few days.. not sure what gives?
>>
>>1294243
Yes, there is a reason. I said "I need to talk to someone who is white, right now" because it was the fastest most effective way to get someone with actual power and decision making abilities. Whites only hold this kind of positions there.

As for the jewish, I was very impressed to see that some other white staff members that later came to help where total Jews, speaking to their kids in hebrew and all. Yeah, a jew would have worked to, but I didn't see myself saying "no man, I need to talk to a jew, right now", that'd be very confusing.

I've got no particular problems with any race, I just needed a white man, because I knew he'd be in charge and able to call the shots. And that's exactlly what happened. Had I wasted any time talking to all non whites with no actual power to open the gates and let us in the inner part she would have left, crossed to India and would be long dead and raped by now.
>>
>>1294361
This
>>
>>1294361
>>Chinese
Chinese are really something.
I've personally witnessed chink businessmen wash their face and even spit in shinto "holy water" dispensers or whatever they are in Japan

Greasy motherfuckers
>>
>>1293443
>what is an evangelist
>>
>>1294591
Chinese aren't exactly in best terms with the Japanese so this could explain that.

I never had *too much* trouble about Chinese. I used to live in Paris and I saw quite a lot of them. Most of the time, they have very little knowledge about local customs, are rough at the edges (spitting and shit) and very loud but they are rarely straight up aggressive. All in all, they're not especially bad-minded just very clueless.

Also, they never try to aggro seduce the guide or people in the street - like American fratbros do VERY often.
I lived in China, so maybe I got used to them though.

I had to endure the first batches of Nigerian tourists though, and they're fucking something else. EXTREMELY entitled, straight up nasty, downing alcohol in the plane like mother fuckers, and fucking groping any woman who passes by.

You'll miss the Chinese tourists, compared to these guys.
>>
>>1294715
How often do you see Nigerian tourists anyway?

I imagine them either being way too poor to afford travel, or way too rich to have the same tastes in destinations as I do.
>>
>>1294894
It's starting, the middle class is growing. Since there is a pretty big diaspora in Europe, they travel to see their families and do some tourist shopping.

They're still quite uncommon but trust me, they're coming up.

I haven't seen myself, but I've been told that during the Hajj in the Mecca, they're quite a handful as well.
>>
>>1294591
Sometimes I wonder how the Chinese even manage to navigate through Japan.

I saw it happen in Narita. Some Chinese woman was trying to get information at an airport help desk, and went fucking nowhere. This woman couldn't speak Japanese, and spoke very broken English. The attendant behind the desk couldn't speak any Chinese, and spoke slightly broken English. They spent several minutes playing verbal charades until an interpreter arrived.

If they could have this much trouble at an international hub, how the fuck do they manage their actual trips?
>>
>>1294920
Well, they can read some Japanese and Chinese interpreters are not THAT uncommon in Japan. This woman was probably not very experienced or prepared.

Plus they have internet guides, online maps, etc. to navigate, just like anyone.
>>
>>1293499
how'd he get caught?
>>
>>1291743
seconding people are more memorable than food or architecture.

and ice breaker. I went around eu with a buddy and so many times we'd meet someone at a bar or drinking at hostels and theyd bust out a deck of cards and wed learn some fun new game or trick.
my buddy had a slimmer design guitar made for travel and he'd play with people etc too.
>>
>>1294915
their middle class isnt really growing significantly. but going from 0 to 1 makes it look so. their economy is commodities. theyll be back to living in mud huts soon

>>1294920
they go in tour groups becauae theyre afraid of this
>>
>>1291649
Backpackers can be some of the fucking worst trustafarian dick weeds on the planet
>>
>>1291743
What about topics to get people talking? Any go to questions you use?
>>
>>1293443
Travel one uppers are the fucking worst. A close second was this fucking guy I was stuck at in Merzouga Morocco with who was from Amsterdam. Dude would not stfu about American politics and acted like he knew more than I did. Met a couple two days later and had dinner with them, they said they ran into a guy who was from Amsterdam at the last town they were in. I asked if he was tall, insufferable, and full of himself.
>Yep, same guy didn't even need to hear more
Moral of the story, really fucking work on your people skills before you go somewhere.

>>1293622
Ouch, cut myself on that edge

>>1294361
Order is reversed, Chinese worst. Backpackers 4th.
>>
>>1291139
one time my neurons recognized the high genetic symmetry of another phenotype. she engaged in a demonstration of neurological symmetry by engaging in highly precise syncopathed rythyms. it stimulated my hindbrain, amd after exchanging pheremones i engaged in genetic exchange inaide of her with a reasonably high chance of implantation. it really juiced up my dopamine receptors.
>>
>>1293443
>Also met a religious christian fanatic who was traveling the world to spread the word of god

God is real though, if you're an atheist you'll see for yourself once your physical human vessel dies
>>
>>1294427
I'm sorry if I had a train to catch and I cant afford to have my luggage shipped.
>>
>>1297034
Please tell me how/why god is real.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.