[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Florida Road Trip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Florida.gif (192KB, 1379x718px) Image search: [Google]
Florida.gif
192KB, 1379x718px
Hey guys. In October me and two friends are going to the Bahamas and after that we are planning on a weeklong road trip of Florida. After that I am going back home (cant leave my coworkers unattended...) but they are staying for a week in Miami. We were planning on renting a car (medium SUV, my friend is huge AF and does not fit in a regular car).

I do not have any previous experience wiht rent-a-car and the prices on the internet seems quite high. I was told to consider Enterprise or Hertz, but they are asking for minimum 190 USD for a week or 500+ for 2 weeks.

Am I doing something wrong here or are these prices normal? Also would you consider keeping the car just for the road trip or also for sightseeing in Miami?
THX
>>
Where are you from anon? And, can you show proof of insurance that would cover your rental, like your awesome geico or allstate policy? That might save you on part of the insurance at least. The friends together roadtrip can also be annoying, because adding a second driver really runs the bill up.

I just kayakcom'd the luxury and SUV category only and saw major brands like hertz and enterprise a little less than your quote, but that is without taxes and all. One trick I do is to find prices on the websites, and then call a location directly. There is sometimes less expensive cars when you pick them up outside of the airport locationsa and vice versa. So...depending where you are staying...you might get a Uber to your hotel on say South Beach, or take Tri-Rail to Metrorail and get closer to your hotel before an Uber, and then do without a car for 3-4 days if you are staying in a neighborhood that you are only going to roll out of bed and drink or swim (South Beach), and then pick up your car at Dadeland location when ready for it.

Miami DOES require a car. You simply cannot do only public transport and ride through downtown, onto Key Biscayne, through Brickell to Coconut Grove, S. Miami and around in the Gables, which are all the places you want to visit/dine/explore. Public transport is both hot and sweaty, inefficient, and at times, unsafe because you are only riding with the dregs of society who can't afford a car in a car-mandatory city. With careful planning it is doable, just not ideal.

One of your roadtrip can and should be to hit up mexican food in homestead, snorkel in Key Largo, drink in Islamorada or take out a charter fishing boat, and then down to Mallory Square sunset in Key West with all of its glorious weirdness. Eat seafood there, explore your literary or gold diving historical bug. A day trip to do swamp things across the Glades and the national parks might be alright too, combined with some Calle Ocho or miami foodie tour stuff.
>>
>>1290152
Sorry I just read October....this is the beginning of the good weather and when the tourists start arriving, so maybe your quotes are higher than the one I just ran. Look at a AAA membership for discounts. I get car rental coupons in every bill, and as well with the Allstate bills.
>>
>>1290152
Dont buy the overpriced salt water taffy off the highway on the coast.
>>
>>1290158
Wow nice guide, thx. Anyway I'm from Italy, my two friends are from Slovenia. I don't know what proof of insurance is...
>>1290160
What is AAA membership? Lol this stuff is all new to me
>>
Check out Turo, the app. It lets you rent random peoples cars (like airbnb for cars). I haven't used it yet, but from what I can tell it is much cheaper than going with a formal rental company.
>>
>>1290311
Thanks, Doug.
>>
>>1290311
But is it safe?
>>
Another question. Would it be possible (and cost effective, maybe even cheaper? ) to just buy a car and resell it after the trip? I have no clue how things work in the states, but I imagine it would be difficult for a foreign tourist to do so...
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.