[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey. I'm thinking about doing a volunteering program in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: leshan-giant-buddha-fact-876-2.jpg (270KB, 876x584px) Image search: [Google]
leshan-giant-buddha-fact-876-2.jpg
270KB, 876x584px
Hey. I'm thinking about doing a volunteering program in Asia. I'm kind of new to this type of experience so I don't know shit. I don't wanna pay for the food or accomodation.

Has anybody done it before? Which countries did you go to, and which do you recommend?
I was thiinking about Thailand or Nepal but really any place will do. Also can someone please link some good websites/ngos/whatever that do this kind of thing?

I'm also not so focused on the traveling aspect, cause I've seen some programs where you just do volunteering work a couple of days and then you basically just do an adventure trip around the country.
>>
>>1290119
Also forgot to mention it but I'm not a nativve English speaker so maybe some English teachng programs might be hard to do for me
>>
>>1290119
>I don't wanna pay for the food or accomodation.
Noone wants to babysit your ass for free. If you want a picture with shitskin orphans for your facebook page, you have to pay.
>>
>>1290119
There are no volunteer opportunities in Asia that do not cost over a hundred dollars. Most will cost over five hundred dollars.

You will pay the "volunteer" organization their $500 or $1,000 fee, and they will provide you with meals and accommodation (most of the time), as well as transportation to and from the volunteer site.

If you want a "real" volunteer opportunity in Asia, go to Mother Teresa's mission church in Calcutta, India. You just show up and they will give you something to do. You can read more about it online.
>>
>>1290119
Most volunteer programs in asia(and all around the world) are just scams to make rich girl sjw's pay 1500$ a month to live in a chaired hut on a stinky matress (wich can be done for 300$ in most asian countrys)
Most orphanages in Cambodia and laos are fake (the orphanage pays their parents and they go back home after a couple of weeks)
Any project envolving animals is most defenetly a mony making scam (as if no local people would like to volunteer to help cute elephants and tiger cubs)
All the programs cater to naive rich girls and faggy sjw's who like to virtue signal on instagram and facebook
If you want to help local people you can better fuck some local hookers
>>
>>1290603
>Most volunteer programs in asia(and all around the world) are just scams to make rich girl sjw's pay 1500$ a month to live in a chaired hut on a stinky matress (wich can be done for 300$ in most asian countrys)
Most volunteer programs are fine, they're just overpriced. Retards like you overreact to a few high profile cases of egregious misconduct and make unsubstantiated blanket statements; it's the same as finding a corrupt charity and extrapolating that to "all charities are scams". Yes, if you are an unskilled young man/woman without money and/or connections, you will not be able to accomplish much. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy your time abroad, meet people, and have an interesting experience working in a foreign country.

Anyways OP, this site catalogs most of the major volunteer organizations with reviews. Do your reasearch as some of these organizations will be shit and way overcosted.
>https://www.gooverseas.com/volunteer-abroad/asia
>>
>>1290119

I'm not going to be as hostile as some of the other posters, but there are few volunteer programs which will provide you with accommodation and food in exchange for labor. Usually you have to pay a hefty premium to be given such 'opportunities.'

The exception is non-charitable volunteering - some hostels will take on temporary, unpaid staff for months at a time, in exchange for a bed and the odd meal.

The organizations which compensate their volunteers and don't expect to be paid usually aren't geared towards young people with no skills, work experience, or college education. They tend to want a long-term commitment.

Take the Peace Corps, for instance - it's run by the U.S. government. Sometimes uninformed teenagers on /trv/ or elsewhere talk about the Peace Corps like it's an option for lost kids who don't know what they want to do in life.

In reality, the Peace Corps requires potential volunteers to have at least a bachelor's degree or several years' worth of pertinent experience (in agriculture, teaching, etc). They then provide you with 3 months of rigorous language training, cultural adaptation classes, and a monthly stipend plus a $10k bonus at the completion of two years of service.

A lot of people drop-out (sometimes up to 40% of volunteers in certain countries), because it isn't easy or something you can do without being committed and willing to get very, very uncomfortable.

Other aid-oriented organizations which dispatch volunteers function similarly: they want people with actual skills and degrees, because they're distributing money, writing grants, or providing communities with critical services, not physically building a school or watering plants or some shit.

Not going to say you should write off any hope of volunteering, because that'd be preposterous - just bear in mind that you're not going to get any of what you want without a time commitment and some qualification.
>>
Thanks everyone for the kind and not so kind responses. Now i know that the no fee idea is not an option. Do you think teaching buddhist monks in Tibet for 300$ entry fee is a good one? Kind of a retarded question I knw
>>
>>1291468
>buddhist monks in Tibet

buddhist monks are getting salary now, and 70% of them are having an iphone ipad in their hands with nike shoes. I don't know what can you teach them.

I wouldn't recomend Tibet, I didn't like it. The chinese control is overwhelming and choking. I felt like in north korea with the millitary personal everywhere in Lhasa.

Go and teach in Nepal. They are thankful for every single help from the west. I saw a school, it was awful (and it was one from the "better" ones)
>>
I think it's worth noting that there is a WWOOF presence in Asia that you may be able to take advantage of, if you're looking for volunteering combined with somewhere to stay at. There's a few listings on the other main volunteer hubs like Workaway but your options may be limited in that particular area depending on what kind of volunteering you're looking to do.
>>
>>1290629
>Most volunteer programs are fine, they're just overpriced.
>you overreact to a few high profile cases of egregious misconduct
>make unsubstantiated blanket statements;
I think the blanket statement is that a bunch of uneducated brats from the west are gonna make a positive impact. The only positive thing you do is improve the host nation's trade balance. Cambodian single mothers are even selling their kids to "orphanages" so these volunteers are gonna feel good about themselves.

If you wanna help, get a fkn education that contains a transferable skill.
>>
>>1290120
some will let you. As long as you have some sort of TEFL or whatever. You should strongly consider those as at least you would be getting paid rather than getting nothing and being treated like dog shit.
>>
> paying to do volunteer work
>>
>>1291480
Yeah I meant to write Nepal, I don't know why I wrote tibet. Anyways thanks
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.