[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vienna Thread - off the beaten track

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 133654.jpg (179KB, 825x550px) Image search: [Google]
133654.jpg
179KB, 825x550px
I will be in Vienna for 8 days at the end of the August. I will be visiting most of the museums, from Old Masters to Narrenturm. So you can also tell me about what lesser museums are worth, be it a coffee museum or some water creature exhibit.

What I'm looking for are sideshows and ways to avoid tourist traps (if possible). I'm looking for places to eat that are not upscale yet offer tasty food, good desserts, best places to drink coffee since I'm a coffee fiend and already know about famous Vienna coffeehouses. I'm looking for good bookstores, antique shops, board game shops, and any sort of shop selling goods that are somewhat hard to find in other parts of the world. I'm also listening to recommendations about day trips outside city, interesting parks and suburbs, and thrift shops and used goods markets.

Based on this writeup please provide any information you deem relevant. Thank you.
>>
>>1287537
They have some great whorehouses there, try fkk Babylon or goldentime
>>
>>1287539
that's nauseating

to each his own, but I'd rather visit a museum than be near some crusty syphilitic whores
>>
Lived in Vienna a few years heres my basic input. Museumsquartier is worth walking around and has some pricey cafe options, the exhibitions are pretty hit and miss though but I've been to a few that were worth the money. Walking up Siebensternstrasse behind the MQ has some nice restaurants open at night, generally the 7th and 4th districts are nice areas to live in and walk at night.

From MQ the heldenplatz, stephansdom and Naschmarkt are easy to walk to on foot. Augarten, Belvedere and Schönbrunn are worth visiting imo, subway system should be fairly easy to get around with and the stations should also have a small picture or description of other highlights in the area. Id recommend a tagesticket / day pass which is cheaper if you ride more than 3 times a day if i remember right. The should also be valid for most intercity buses and trams but i would ask to confirm since they change the rules often

Donauinsel is worth a relaxing day, milleniums tower i guess if youre in to shopping.
>>
>>1287537
I like Cafe Sperl, which has a pastry/cake that is all their own, sperlschnitte, which is like a cross between penuche and a brownie with a definitive almond flour taste (to me).
Reinthaler’s Beisl has a leberknodelsuppe and other traditional food and very close to the Sisi tour at the palace. Don't forget to skim past the end of the tour china collection and go out to the library.

Hear some music, but do it right, hear it in a church like Karlskirche.

One popular day trip is to take the train to Melk, and visit the Benedictine abbey (one of the best intact libraries that survived medieval times). The town is cute with gardens and vistas too. Then take the danube cruise home, passing the wachau valley vineyards and river towns, stopping in spitz, durnstein, krems and the various ports and finally back to vienna. Its narrated and open top deck.

For shopping, vienna is known to make really lovely tailored dresses and traditional men's clothing, as well as leather goods, glass (pick up a chandelier to send home, jewlery, anything related to instruments.
>>
>>1287651
Thanks, these are the sort of recommendations I had in mind.
>>
>>1287545
Anything specific?
>>
Where do they serve the best beer in Vienna?
>>
>>1287543
Honesty, depends on the type of museum and the type of prostitutes for me.

There's definitely room to enjoy both. In this case I'd probably opt for the museum because it's Europe, so the ladies are likely boyh over priced and over aged.
>>
File: 1502661577916.jpg (172KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1502661577916.jpg
172KB, 1080x1350px
>paying for whores when there's Tinder

I'm 8/10 and I travel Europe most of the spring and summer by means of laying the pipe well. Tinder finds the accomodation, charm does the rest.
>>
>>1287545
>Donauinsel
not really
>>
>>1288553
6/10 and I can pull just from foreigner bonus.
>>
>>1287543
The girls in goldentime are hot, young, and clean.
>>
>>1288696
But prostitution is rape so it doesn't matter
>>
>>1287543
Or just , y'know, be a fun person to be around and get laid normally like my men here >>1288553
>>1288689

Why would anyone waste x amount of Euros for something so trivial . Go to Thailand for that shit
>>
A good night cafe if you want to meet crazy people from all social backgrounds is cafe bendl. Its a night cafe with smoking allowed and looks very old but its an authentic viennese drinking place.

For really good Schnitzel without tourists go to Gasthaus Josefstadt in the 8. District. Big portions and small prices.
If you want to get a look over the city I recommend travelling up Kahlenberg by public/by foot. If you walk of the main road you can sit between the vineyards over the town
>>
>>1291273
What's the cheapest ticket? That weekly ticket that goes for 16 euros but you literally have to buy it on Monday because if you buy it on Sunday it's only valid by Mon? Any other tips for a poorfag?
>>
>>1288686
donauinsel is pretty long and it depends on which part youre at. the more northern you get, the more ghetto it gets. e.g. around millenium tower its bad.

hey OP when the weather is nice then get off at U1 alte donau, this is a part of the danube they "locked off" from the normal river, so its like a small lake. when you get out of the station, turn 90 degrees left and walk 1-2 minutes until you can see a pedal boat rental. ask they guy at the rental to give you a map and go with the boat to "kaiserwasser". its pretty sweet if you just wanna relax, pic related.

otherwise go to the 25 hours rooftop bar. its not super high but has a nice atmosphere, pretty good view and is not as stuck up as most other rooftop bars. this means you can go in there with flip flops and shorts and the drinks are pretty cheap.
best skybar view-wise is le loft, but its expensive and super fancy.

best austrian food is silberwirt. good beer, good austrian food, reasonable prices, pretty central, supernice garden in the summer. however its pretty hidden, so ask around if you cant find it.

for drinking wine, go to "mayer am nussberg" (if the weather is nice). its on the kahlenberg (as someone recommended before), they have really good and cheap wine and you have a nice view over vienna and the vineyards.

especially on thursday, friday, saturday evening, walk down donaukanal (between U1 schwedenplatz and U2 schottenring), tons of bars, tons of young people just sitting around, street vendors selling cheap beer etc.

have fun!
>>
Go see the WU Campus on a weekend if you're into modern architecture.

On Saturday, go check the Flea Market at Naschmarkt. Sure it's really overrun but there's still many interesting things to find. You can also go early in the morning/late in the afternoon to avoid the masses.

If you are into photography, I can recommend the Westlicht museums and surrounding used camera stores. The Ostlicht ist also a gallery/museum with exhibitions and it's free located in an old bread factory in the outskirts of the city.

Bratislava is a nice side trip doable in one day. You can get a return ticket for the 1h train for 14€.
>>
obligatory thread theme

https://youtu.be/oZdiXvDU4P0
>>
>>1292570
>Go see the WU Campus on a weekend if you're into modern architecture.

Great advice, thanks

>>1292560
>hey OP when the weather is nice then get off at U1 alte donau, this is a part of the danube they "locked off" from the normal river, so its like a small lake. when you get out of the station, turn 90 degrees left and walk 1-2 minutes until you can see a pedal boat rental. ask they guy at the rental to give you a map and go with the boat to "kaiserwasser". its pretty sweet if you just wanna relax, pic related.

How much for this? Approx? Will try silberwirt.
>>
>>1292560
It seems pedal boat is 14/hour so that might be doable. Thanks for the kaiserwasser location, looks very nice.
>>
>>1292693
i think they price you per minute, should be about 15 euros per hour approx.

also WU campus is indeed nice, yes - every building was designed by a different architect.
right next to it theres a huge park + big amusement park (prater) with the ferry wheel, one of viennas most famous sights.
>>
>>1292709
also what i forgot, if you go to schloss schönbrunn, go up to the gloriette, the small monument on top of the hill. nice place to chill and have a good view.
>>
What's the best wurst street kiosk in Vienna or at least a good one?

What's the best used bookstore apart from Shakespeare and Co?
>>
>>1292570
>Flea Market at Naschmarkt
When you get to the end of it and it just turns into a bunch of immigrants with floor displays of junk, had a guy try to sell me a busted xbox for 50 euro
>>
>>1293257
I like Würstelstand Leo. Bitzinger is probably the most famous one and it's pretty central. I live near Pilgrambrücke so my go to one is Würstelbox, also seems to have a pretty good reputation
>>
I heard said that some people in Vienna are cold and distant. Is that true?
How did you find the locals, there?
>>
What are the average bill costs for Vienna? Talking about outskirts, not the big old districts. What's the average salary?
>>
Also, any jobs that a foreigner who knows english could do that do not involve back breaking physical work?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.