[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Is dehli belly (travelers diarrhea) really unavoidable in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_6682.jpg (47KB, 635x261px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6682.jpg
47KB, 635x261px
>Is dehli belly (travelers diarrhea) really unavoidable in India?

I've traveled to many third world countries and has zero problems with this, However people make it out to be unavoidable in India.
>>
>>1285540
D
>>
>>1285540
I don't know why India would be different than anywhere else.
>>
It is avoidable. Just don't eat anywhere that is quiet, because the curry sits there for hours and bad bacteria grows. If you go somewhere thats busy the curry is constantly being freshly made so its hot and therefore safe.

When i was there I met a girl that had been there for 7 months and had yet to get delhi belly. I fell kill after 3 weeks and it took me out for a couple of days.

India is just uniquely filithy and it is very common for travellers to fall ill at some point.
>>
>>1285672
>India is just uniquely filithy and it is very common for travellers to fall ill at some point.

This almost makes me not want to go as I will only have 10-11 days there so getting sick for 3 would ruin the itinerary all together.
>>
My friend who goes to Southern India regularly told me she takes probiotics the week before each trip, and that she's totally fine like that.
>>
i was there for 5 weeks and never had the shits

eat where it;'s busy and/or you can see them making the food and most importntly wash your hands properly before every meal
>>
>>1285540
Many years ago (oldfag) I spent about a year in India in total. Sick all the time. Nowadays I do not get sick there anymore though. Your experience depends on your own immune defence, as well as choosing the right places to eat. Sort out your own diet long before you go, and chances are you can stay healthy.
>>
It's up to many things, including luck. I was around Delhi for a week with a group of friends. We pretty much ate the same food the entire time. About half of us got it, I was one of the lucky ones who didn't.
>>
>>1285540
I took no precautions in Mexico and avoided TD, from what I've heard from other travelers you shouldn't make any special precautions because you'll just end up missing out on potential experiences. Don't know about India though.
>>
>>1285749
India is unique. It's a super shit hole.
>>
>>1285540
spent a week there, took care not to swallow water when taking a shower, was ok. also only ate at nice restaurants.
>>
I stayed in India a year. I got sick two weeks in and stayed sick for the year and a year+ (still not quite right) afterwards. I had to take albendazole a few times to kill the giardia and whatever else parasites I had. glhf op
>>
>>1285578
E S I G N A T E D
>>
Is this a problem in SE Asia too? Worried about shitting myself in Bangkok. I suppose I should have Immodium on me at all times.
>>
>>1285979
I went to Thailand and Cambodia (and china) and I had zero problems with it. I wasnt very picky either with where I ate.
>>
File: 1763106692_6c584d47e1_o.jpg (208KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
1763106692_6c584d47e1_o.jpg
208KB, 800x532px
>>1285540
Find a local live culture yoghurt and eat it at the earliest opportunity. Kymys works as well, and is available in India IIRC
>>
>>1285540

Purchase the strongest probiotics (that don't require refrigeration) possible prior to leaving, IIRC it's 100billion organisms per capsule, 2 of those a day will be a very good defence against the likes of Delhi/Bali/Asia belly symptoms, given they offset the unfamiliar bacteria which makes you ill by sheer weight of numbers. I'm not guaranteeing it, but I'm yet to get ill after travelling the length & breadth of SE Asia, including rural Myanmar.
>>
If you avoided it in other third world countries you are fine.
>>
>>1285979
Never had problems in Thailand,
Eat in streets full of rats and roaches ,
No problem
Indians whipe their arse with their hands and dont wash them after,
Thats why India is so bad
>>
>>1286235
india is a complete other level

everyone gets sick. everyone. because as the poster above highlights, they LITERALLY use their left hand to "clean" their ass after defecating. no soap, no ater. then they do everything else using their left hand, including preparing food. but they EAT using their right hand.

they never invented the pinnacle of technology "the fork"

genius sanitation.
>>
>>1285815
This. People remark on how they can start to smell the foulness while they're still flying into the airport. You're literally breathing shit particles in, constantly, in India. Those disgusting monkeys shit everywhere. It's like living inside a sewer.
>>
>>1285979
I've been to Thailand half a dozen times, only had a problem once, and it was just a "have to take a squirt, whew, all better now" deal.
>>
I'm also travelling to Delhi soon, but I hear that pollution is a big problem. Do I need a face mask?
>>
my father was bedridden for a week shitting and puking uncontrollably in india (dheli)

concensus of people I've spoken to on the road is that if they din't get sick they were traveling with someone who did, or stayed with several people who got sick
>>
I was up and down the west of India earlier this year and had only minor problems OP, though a lot of people I know did get sick.

Just use some sense, I mostly ate at nicer clean places the first couple of days, western food too, then once I was there a week I would eat anywhere so long as it was busy. I've been through SEA without too much trouble, one day of mild runs but never more than that. If you haven't been bothered before I don't think you will now.

In regard to all the comments on how shitty India is, they're wildly exaggerated because it's just funny, it is a shitehole, but nothing too extraordinary after Cambodia I think. Plus it's such a seriously interesting place it's well worth the odd shitting street. Good luck.
>>
>>1286367
Ots not exaggerated.

If you get a bad case of the runs on many cases you have literally caught cholera. A disease that would kill 10% of a country's population at a time

Imagine just catching the bubonic plague as part of the daily routine

They are literally only saved by western medecine and are in the process of breeding drug resistant viruses and vacteria

It is not "fine"

They need to let the west take over or be nuked
>>
>>1285979
Stayed in a working district in bkk for nearly a month eating street food for every meal, never had a problem.

Stayed in Malaysia a handful of places eating street food every meal, no problems.

Same with Taiwan and Vietnam.

ymmv. SEA is generally pretty good I think. Most places aren't remarkably dirty, daily trash pickups etc. Ha Noi is especially nice (apart from heavy pollution).
>>
>>1286473
Pretty irrelevant to the thread but thanks for demonstrating my point for the OP.
Wasn't there a serious Indian shill here a while back always posting how India is a first world country? He was a fun guy.
>>
Pretty similar advice to others.
Start taking probiotics a few weeks before you and continue while your there.
Only drink bottled water. Be aware of street sellers bottled water, generally they refill them with tap water and replastic seal the top. If you go to touristy areas you'll see little kids picking up bottle caps for tat purpose.
Wash hands before eating, maybe take alcohol hand sanitizer.
Don't use tap water to brush your teeth pour bottled water on your toothbrush.
I also took activated charcoal tablets while there
>>
>>1286325

Nah.

The only people you see wearing face masks in Delhi are Chinese tourists.

>>1285540

I've been to India seven times and usually count on falling ill at least once per trip.

Normally I don't come down with anything more than intermittent diarrhea. Spend a day or two recuperating and then I'm usually okay for the rest of my visit.

However, I did get seriously sick my first time. I wound up having to stay two or three days at my now-ex-girlfriend's house. Couldn't get out of bed and almost wound up going to the hospital.

Last time I was in India I got a really nasty throat infection, but I don't think that was from the food. It happened during Modi's demonitization policy, so I couldn't even fucking use ATMs to get cash to see the doctor. I had to borrow cash from a friend to get some blood tests and see a physician who was qualified to actually make a diagnosis and recommend non-homeopathic remedies.

Having said all that, I've met plenty of tourists who didn't get sick while visiting India.

I wouldn't be too fussy about avoiding street food unless you're only staying for a week or two. Sometimes seemingly high-class restaurants have awful, unsanitary kitchens, and oftentimes certain street vendors are surprisingly fastidious about hygiene.

One thing I've noticed in the last several years is that the government (at least in Delhi) has encouraged a move toward using disposable utensils and plates, rather than wads of old newspaper or sloppily rewashed metal forks and pans.

As others have said, you run less of a risk if you hit up restaurants and stalls which have bigger crowds.

That's not guaranteed, though - sometimes what makes you sick in places like India are bacteria which locals have built up immunity to, rather than typical food poisoning culprits like E. coli.
>>
>>1285979
I got the shits in Indonesia, it only lasted like a day. Other than that no problems at all eating nothing but street food in SE Asia.
>>
>>1285979
Take activated charcoal instead of Immodium!
Immodium doesn't clean your belly the way charcoal does. sometimes it just prolongs your problems.
>>
I'm Indian but my parents were born and raised in Canada. I was born and raised in Washington.

I went to India once. Drank some mango juice in the first hour. Got sick for two weeks.

Never going back. As a germophobe, it was a complete nightmare and I don't recommend any of it.
>>
I was going to make a thread about this so might as well ask here, I've travelled to Pakistan before and the tap water was not fit for consumption (had to buy mineral water everywhere)

Is this the same in India?
>>
>>1287379
i regret to inform you that youre gonna have to go back
>>
>>1285540
I returned from a one week in India yesterday.
I visited Varanasi (which was brutally dirty and I was still okay), Sarnath, Agra and Delhi and I had zero problems, you just need to take some precautions.

Before eating use every time a disinfectant on your hands.

Don't drink tap water, buy mineral water instead. Always check the mineral water if the cap of the bottle if it comes down easy or not. If it came down easy then it means they put tap water in it and they glued the cap down.

Don't eat ANY fruit which you can't peel, Banana is okay. This is especially hard to keep when you are seeing random people selling you beatiful fruits in their stands.

If you have a guide, ask his--her opinion where you should eat. If you are travelling without a guide, I would suggest you to forget about the cheap places on the street. You should rather visit a little more expensive restaurants. It is not a problem, it is relatively cheap in india. I always ate good portions of food for 5-6 euros. Watch out that alcohol is expensive.
>>
>>1287409
Yes.

Btw bottled water is not the same as mineral water.
>>
File: Maaza_600ml_wo_Condensation-1.jpg (2MB, 2048x4096px) Image search: [Google]
Maaza_600ml_wo_Condensation-1.jpg
2MB, 2048x4096px
>>1287379
>Drank some mango juice in the first hour. Got sick for two weeks.

I guess this happened with you what I said here

>Always check the mineral water if the cap of the bottle if it comes down easy or not. If it came down easy then it means they put tap water in it and they glued the cap down.

mango juice, especially maaza is fucking god tier. I drank liters of it every single day and I am missing it so much.
>>
>>1287418
True, you had to be careful about brand. In Pakistan, only Nestle was clean enough. Even then I got the shits (I think it was more because they put so much fucking chilli in the food, it messed with my gut too much).
>>
>>1285540
I travel to some designated shit cities all around india regulary. I've never been really ill. Just bring a shitload of medicine (just in case :^))
Don't drink tap water, don't brush your teeth with it. Don't eat on the street, try to find a 4 to 5 star hotel.
>>
So what's the point to travel to India in the first place? Why would someone spend his vacation constantly trying hard not to get sick while dealing with all the filth?
>>
>>1287464
Im staying on 31st December 2019 and see India magically transform into a superpower
>>
>>1287420
I found a store that sells it in America and I've been drinking a ton of it recently
>>
>>1285540
Unless you live in a bubble suit fecal matter is going to enter your digestive system and cause diarrhea .
>>
>>1285678
I do this when I go to mexico and never have a problem either.
Tbh, one should take probiotics before every trip.
>>
>>1287588
Not at India levels.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.