[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok guys, so the university I attend has great exchange programs,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: Flag_of_Japan_and_South_Korea.png (56KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Japan_and_South_Korea.png
56KB, 2000x1333px
Ok guys, so the university I attend has great exchange programs, and I was wondering which place is better to stay for a longer time (around 1 year I suppose? Maybe 2) Seoul or Tokyo? Have you been to any of the places? Please share you experiences! (By the way, I would study Korean/Japanese in this period)

Thanks!
>>
What university can you choose in Tokyo and Seoul?
>>
Tokyo by a country mile.
>>
oh boy here come the weebs...
>>
OP. Don't ask the question here. You're asking an incredibly polarizing question on a Japanese inspired image board. You're going to get overwhelmingly biased answers.

Both Seoul and Tokyo are incredible. Have pretty girls, good food and have so much shit to do. There's no wrong choice.

My advice, look up the food, see which one is more inline with your palate and make a decision.

Obviously if you're into esports, kpop, jpop , anime, kimchi, sushi, snaggle toothed qts, long legged qts, cheap drinking, kimonos, or hanboks will impact your decision.

Do some research, but take the responses here with a grain of salt.
>>
>>1285446
I agree. If you're going to be there for a year, Tokyo is much better. At some point, you WILL just get sick of the pollution, the habitual rudeness of Koreans, the hyper-emotional
way Koreans handle any situation, the filth on the streets, and the nasty smell of Seoul (imagine a portapotty overlaid with the scent of garlic and chili paste), the unceasing noise, the monotonous food. Some people on here just jump at the chance to defend korea, but if you are going to be there for a year, Japan is just a straight up nicer place that won't grate on your nerves. Everyone is very polite and nice, the culture is fascinating, it's clean, and the food is much better most of the time. That's as close to an objective fact as it get. Seoul is good for a wild weekend.
>>
>>1285368
what kind of things do you like?
which language/culture is more interesting to you?

as long as we don't know those things about you nobody can give an adequate answer

i can only say that i loved staying in tokyo for a year and never got bored or sick of it once. if you have any questions about it, i'll be happy to answer them.

I only visited seoul for a few days and i don't speak korean so i probably can't give a fair assessment on it. generally speaking it also seemed like a nice city, but with much less to do and see than tokyo. korean food is great but then again so is japanese food.
>>
it's cheaper to live and go out in Seoul. Also the country is more compact and transportation is cheap and easy. Not that Japan is any less practical, in fact it is probably more so, but the cost of travel can be high in comparison. Japan is quick flight away if you want to head there on breaks.
>>
>>1285368
Tokyo and seoul are not really on the same level. It is love comparing newyork city, and boston. Or comparing paris and marseille.
Both big cities, but one is way bigger and has more things to do.

I have beento both, loved both but couldnt see myself living in seoul for a year.

Korea is great, but the food is a little on the bland side, and tokyo has more to do.

You won't be bored in either city, so you can't really go wrong.
>>
Seoul has about 3 days' worth of stuff to do and things to see. a week if you're being really, really generous. Tokyo has a lifetimes' worth.
>>
yeah wrong place to ask. this board will tell you the Seoul is an absolute shithole while Tokyo is some weeaboo utopia. If you want party, go Seoul, if you want culture, go Japan.
>>
File: IMG_20160729_204830.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160729_204830.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
As others have said, you will not get an unbiased response here. Not to mention, I assume most posters have only visited these countries for a short time (if at all), so your responses will be uninformed.

>Seoul has about 3 days' worth of stuff to do and things to see. a week if you're being really, really generous. Tokyo has a lifetimes' worth.

Ah, here's a good example. Yes, a city of 10 million people (25 mil in the metro area) has only three days worth of things to do. Yes, uh-huh. You definitely know what you're talking about.

As for my opinion, you'll have a blast in either city. I prefer Seoul because it's cheaper and, if you're white, you'll get a lot of special treatment. Tokyo is probably more interesting to the average person, and especially if you're a weeb, but it's expensive.

disclaimer: I have lived in both countries, in cities near (but not in) the capitals.
>>
>>1285456
OP, this is the correct answer
>>
>>1285368
most people that come to /trv/ are weeabos who masturbate to cartoon girls and cant hold a proper conversation without the fake politeness that asian countries have. so I'll just go and post the positives about korea since nobody else will.

lived in both, now living and working in china. travel to both regularly for vacations and visiting friends.

>food
great despite the comments, there's plenty more than the chili and spicy shit that travel guides. most people that say it's shit or bland didn't spend more than a week around. if you're a student and lift/exercise a lot there's plenty of healthy protein rich tasty dishes.
>price
seoul is cheaper than tokyo. especially night life is significantly cheaper.
>social code
personal issue but I loved how koreans are brutally honest. if you ask someone out, they reject it in public with no issue. if someone text you, they actually want to talk to you. both china and japan has a huge social issues regarding keeping face, never being direct about anything.
>dirty, polluted
I never cared about pollution living there, china on the other hand..
there are areas that pile up garbage on the streets but it's easily avoided unless you're crawling home from some bar at 4 in the morning.

I used to prefer Seoul when I was a student and had a big social network there but these days I go to Tokyo more often. mostly because money isn't a big issue anymore.
>>
>>1285737
It's refreshing to see some one who has actually traveled to Seoul and knows what's up.

I fucking miss Korean food so much.
Daktoritang
Mulhwei
Nyengmyeon
Sannakji
Gopchang and makchang
Ori-bulgolgi
Jang-uh
Yukhwei
Even their chain chicken restaurants and samgyeopsal were dope
>>
>>1285368
There's a reason why South Korea and Koreans are considered china-tier while Japan is objectively one of the most respected countries in the world on the basis of its contributions to culture, technology and the modern world in general. Choose carefully.
>>
>>1285826
Here's your reply. Now go away.
>>
Why would you go to Birmingham when London is right next door? Why choose Philadelphia over New York City or D.C.? Why choose a dirty superficial provincial uncultured shithole full of depressed plastics over one of the most cultured, most renowned cities in the world? Why choose an ear splitting, spit-sounding, whiny, ugly language like Korean over a much nicer language like Japanese? Plus, Japanese people are actually smart enough to use kanji.
>>
>>1285368
For what it's worth, I have a friend who studied in Korea for a while and absolutely hated it.
>>
>>1286213
>Plus, Japanese people are actually smart enough to use kanji.
explain more please
>>
>>1286254
It's a Shitpost

>no other language can surpass the superiority of muh Nippon steel, language, culture, pubic hair, and snaggle teeth.

Korean students also get pressure to learn 한자 which is quite similar to kanji. Just the old Chinese characters. Plenty go to after school academys to learn the stuff. Older Korean buildings and restaurants have the characters scattered about as well.

Before anyone asks I've taught English Osaka and Busan. Both countries are worth a visit and have plenty of opportunities.
>>
>>1286376
Using Chinese characters isn't something to be proud about, imo. There's a reason why most languages use alphabets, and there's a reason why Korea scrapped chinese characters in favour of their own system.

But yes you're right, that was a shitpost anyway.
>>
>>1286254
Koreans have to use their ugly stick n circles letters because their brains aren't good enough to use based aesthetic Chinese characters
>>
>>1286381
I was just stating what Koreans do, not what's good or bad. To my understanding it's for traditional purposes and in conjunction with history.
>>
>>1286444
>Koreans have to use their ugly stick n circles letters because their brains aren't good enough to use based aesthetic Chinese characters
trolling like a cunt I see

if anyone cares. koreans have an alphabet, takes about 24 hours to learn and after that you can read. this means any english words written can be read very easy.
>>
>>1286213
>Provincial.
Kek. I have no dog in this fight, and I visited both, but that would be the last thing I would use to describe Seoul.
>>
Korea is a country you visit once then never the desire to go back again. Partly because it's just not that interesting, and partly because there's about one week worth of stuff to do. When you're in Korea, you quickly realize there's nothing underneath the surface. I have never met a repeat visitor to Korea that wasn't a Korean immigrant, US military, or working there.

Japan is a country that's renowned for repeat visitors. I know a lot of rich, cultured whites that make a point of visiting as often as they can, sometimes every year. Japan is incredibly fascinating, deeply cultured and you won't even scratch the surface if you travel around the country for six months. There's enough there for a lifetime. People really do fall in love with Japan in a way thats not really possible with Korea.

There is literally no one who knows both countries well that will disagree with what ive written above unless they are Korean or are just really deluded koreaboos.
>>
>>1286381
>there's a reason why Korea scrapped chinese characters in favour of their own system
yeah, pressure from american post-war administration + nationalism in the south and communism + nationalism in the north.
it wasn't done for practical reasons. china, taiwan, singapore and japan are doing just fine with their script systems. They have high literacy rates and the amount of time needed to acquire the scripts doesn't seem to have a negative effect on their educational results in other subjects.

there are arguments to be made for the abolition of chinese characters but in the same way you could argue that "there's a reason why" they survived for thousands of years.
>>
>>1287167
>There is literally no one who knows both countries well that will disagree with what ive written above unless they are Korean or are just really deluded koreaboos.
that's a meaningless statement
>>
>>1287235
You're deluded if you don't think real life preferences at least correlate to the actual quality of the destination.
>>
>>1287167
Meh, my Japanese wife loves to shit on China and Korea but has still visited Korea multiple times. Theres a lot of interest in food tourism from Japanese people though and if you like Korean food you're going to get the best for a lot cheaper than you'd get in Japan.
>>
>>1287275
Korean food is really smelly and nasty. Very one dimensional, everything tastes like salt, chili paste and soy sauce.
>>
Every experienced east asia travelled knows that South Korea is a completely worthless destination except for the ridiculously easy women.
>>
>>1287167>>1287502
>>1287603
>>1286236
>>1285826
>>1285490

Wow the weeb shitposts are putting in slightly more effort than usual.

OP as a general rule.
If you see anti-Korean pro-Japan posts without any sort of logic or explanation of why they think the why they do, it's a weeb shitpost.

Visit both.
>>
All weeb-shits aside: Japanese universities are easier. Korean Universities can become pretty difficult and a lot of the times there is not even an option to do a resit on exams. This is the objective truth. If you decide to pick J-Unis, you will have a lot more time doing fun stuff. On top of that, Japanese universities are more acclaimed than Korean ones. If you can land yourself in Tokyo Uni or Waseda Uni (especially Tokyo), you got yourself a good spot.
>>
>>1287779
As an American headed to a year abroad at a Japanese university, everything I've heard is that high school is the hell years, and university is the reward for hard work done. Essentially no accountability, very little threat of failure, but you have the social capital/cachet of having been accepted into [whatever institution].

I don't know if that's true or not, but in my little part of the world university experience at a Japanese university seems like it carries more weight than equivalent hours at a Korean one.
>>
>>1287167
There is literally no one who knows both countries well that will agree with what youve written above unless they are just really deluded weeaboos, even japs know their country is shit.
>>
Ah..you guys just haven't opened your eyes. South Korea is a state of mind. You just have to accept it and go along with the flow.. get out of Seoul, spend a night in a retro motel where you sleep on the floor, take a boat to an island, drink soju in a small town, see some rice paddies, take an intercity bus, try to banter with the crotchety old people, go to underground shopping centers, find a rooftop party, dance until six am... Korea has a lot of soul if you bother to just look and korean people are much easier to befriend than Japanese...you people bashing Korea just need to open your eyes.
>>
>>1287929
they're spergs who can't talk to people, that's why they enjoy japan
>>
>>1287929
>Korea has a lot of soul
Lmao
>>
>>1287790
What Uni are you headed to? Is it in Tokyo?
>>
>>1285368
You should decide your university according to your what you really want to do. Even so, if I give you some advice, you will be really really tired with large population of Tokyo. You have to take trains with too many people crammed in it every morning. And Tokyo is one of the most largest and density city in the world (the urban are of Tokyo is much bigger than that of New York) so please be careful.
>>
>>1287774
>If you see anti-Korean pro-Japan posts without any sort of logic or explanation of why they think the why they do, it's a weeb shitpost.
>without any sort of logic or explanation
>explanation
>Visit both.
Is this supposed to be ironic? You literally just did exactly what you claimed to be "shitposting".
>>
File: 1501564629066.png (19KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1501564629066.png
19KB, 512x512px
>>1288752
Are you merely pretending?
>>
>>1288752
>ironic
>literally
>shitpost
Anon, I honestly think you have no idea what any of these words mean.

If you've browsed the board for any length of time you'd be aware of the constant bashing of Korea vs Japan.
>>
>>1285368
I've lived in both OP so I'll give you my personal opinion. Tokyo (and Japan in general) is better for travelling and seeing cultural things however people are very distant and it's hard to make friends and form lasting relationships especially if you don't speak Japanese. Korea has a lot of things to do and see but not as much as Japan, I prefer Busan over Seoul since it has more cultural things while Seoul is more of a very modern city, Koreans are a lot nicer than Japanese and you can make a lot of friends easily if you're a social person that knows how to drink. The food is great in both countries and it really comes down to your personal taste wich is better, I prefer Korean food because I like the spices they use better.
>>
>>1287167
>Japan is a country that's renowned for repeat visitors. I know a lot of rich, cultured whites that make a point of visiting as often as they can, sometimes every year. Japan is incredibly fascinating, deeply cultured and you won't even scratch the surface if you travel around the country for six months. There's enough there for a lifetime. People really do fall in love with Japan in a way thats not really possible with Korea.
You know that Korea is one of the most popular vacation destinations for Japanese right?
>>
>>1289202
i dont have a dog in this fight, but people fly 5k miles and spend thosands of dollars in japan

japanese spend 30 dollars on a plane ticket and have budget beach trips on the weekend in korea, like germans going to greece

it really isnt the same. no one would go to korea if it cost the same as a first world country
>>
>>1289205
>it really isnt the same. no one would go to korea if it cost the same as a first world country
It is a first world country and the prices are quite like a lot of (also first world) European countries. It's a lot more expensive than my country (Spain) and yet people from here love going there.
>>
>>1289207
the prices are half that of a first world country and it still lacks essential components of first world services, such as liquid markets

your mistake is in assuming that spain is forst world

my point remains, no one would go to korea if it cost the same. would you go to greece if everything cost 3x as much?
>>
>>1289214
>would you go to greece if everything cost 3x as much?
I am very interested in ancient history and the ancient Greek, Roman and Byzantine empires so I would definitely still go to Greece if it were expensive, kind of a bad comparison. I honestly don't know if I would have gone to Korea if it were 3 times as expensive, what I do know is that I thoroughly enjoyed the 6 months that I've spent there and will return soon when I have the chance.
>>
Most people doing business in Asia (bankers, consultants) try to spend as little time as possible in Korea and get over to Japan or SE Asia as soon as they can, for what it's worth.
>>
>>1289239
[citation needed]
>>
>>1289239
this is straight talking out your ass
>>
Here comes the retarded Japan vs. Korea thread with retards that haven't been in either country for more than 3 days, if at all.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.