[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cities for remote workers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: Mallorca-Gold-13.jpg (466KB, 2000x1339px) Image search: [Google]
Mallorca-Gold-13.jpg
466KB, 2000x1339px
Hello /trv/,

I work as a software dev and recently came across the opportunity to work remotely. I would like to move out of the UK and live somewhere in Europe. My budget is $2500 a month but I'l like to keep it to $2000.

What cities would you suggest? Here is what I would prefer:
>fast internet (required)
>hot weather
>safe
>relatively cheap (so not as expensive as cities as London)
>lots of stuff to do
>big bonus if near the beach

I've been looking at nomadlist.com and got Tenerife and Las Palmas in the Canary Islands as suggestions. Jeju Island was another suggestion if I want to move out of Europe.

Spain sounds perfect as the language is simple and it has a lot to do. Barcelona seems cool too.

Any remote workers that can offer tips or suggestions?

Thanks!
>>
File: Ronda, Spain.jpg (1MB, 1220x689px) Image search: [Google]
Ronda, Spain.jpg
1MB, 1220x689px
I dont know about the Islands, but mainland Spain has some god awful internet connections

T: Expat, been living in Malaga, Valencia & Cadiz. Maybe Barcelona and Madrid might have decent connections,but elsewhere I have seen grossly overpriced and very slow connections for today's standards. I paid 40€ per month for the shit and download speed was 300 kb/s at MAX
>>
>>1284843
>300 kb/s at MAX
that's dire
I've heard of the infamous slow internet speeds in Spain, nomadlist lists them as good though.
>>
Spain really has horrible internet speed, same goes for Italy.
Romania has quite decent speeds here and there, has some beaches, nice mountains.
I would just go with the Netherlands desu. Shuttling between Haarlem and Zandvoort aan Zee.
>>
>>1284865
I'd prefer hotter weather year-round. I'm looking to move somewhere, not just visit. If you pay for good internet speed in Spain rather than some random cheap service, won't you get it?
>>
>>1284842
Mexico. Very good internet infrastructure, I pay $80 for 200mbps and get the advertised speed. Easy language to learn, great food, very low cost of living, free healthcare to legal residents.

You can live in Guadalajara, the tech capital of Mexico with very cheap cost of living and hours away from one of the best beaches in the world, Puerto Vallarta.
>>
>>1284893
How safe is it? I'm a small female and would likely be living on my own. Nomad list says it's not safe. Looks beautiful though, thanks for the suggestion!
>>
>>1284864
Yeah and occasionally it doesnt work for 5-30 minutes and so on (happens about few times a month randomly). This is the most expensive option too and was supposed to be the best one. This one was Orange. Tried Vodafone earlier and also tried Movistar. Movistar was the best one, but not that great either.

I didnt live in the middle of nowhere either. Few kilometers out of the centers (9km in Cadiz, 4km in Malaga and 3km in Valencia)
>>
>>1284909
Depends where you live. Certain neighborhoods in Mexico City like Roma and Condensa are hipster. You could walk around naked. The further south you go the safer you are. 99% of drug violence occurs near the border.

If you live at Puerto Vallarta then its even safer as their is a heavy police presence and little to no violence because of tourism.

The main dangers are those of a big city i.e muggings. Mexico has several international airports allowing for you to enter and leave quickly and without too much hassle. You get an automatic 6 months Visa just by entering the country (depending on nationality).

For a one bed room apartment you'll probably be paying ~$300 usd or ~250 euros a month. Electricity and food are very cheap and you can find prices online to get a rough estimate. Most big cities have all the conveniences you could want like Amazon.

Nomad's list takes into account the entire country so it's not very accurate in terms of safety. I know hundreds of nomads/expats living in Mexico who are pale as a sheet, many of them women and they are just fine.
>>
>>1284922
Thanks for the info, anon!

>You get an automatic 6 months Visa just by entering the country (depending on nationality).
I'm a British citizen, which is why my first thought was to stay in Europe, I won't have to worry about visas. Even when Brexit happens, I have another EU citizenship so I'll be fine.
After the 6 months, I have to leave and then come back (assuming I don't want to move on), right?

>For a one bed room apartment you'll probably be paying ~$300 usd or ~250 euros a month
Damn...that's hella cheap, brilliant.

What's the weather like year round?
>>
>>1284925
Weather is great in my opinion. Here is a yearly thingy.
https://weatherspark.com/y/3866/Average-Weather-in-Guadalajara-Mexico
Usually sunny and warm never too cold. There is a rainy season depending on where you are at.

The Visa is the easiest part of Mexico. You can easily apply for residency without being a citizen and live their legally for I think 5 years without renewing and you can keep your existing citizenship(s).

Puerto Vallarta in particular has amazing weather and is known as the 2nd calmest bay in the world. On the otherside is Cancun which is also pretty great. Any other questions I'll be happy to help.
>>
>>1284950
That sounds great.

How easy is it to get around language-wise? I speak intermediate Spanish and plan on getting fluent but in the meantime I suppose it won't be too hard traversing in English?

Also how easy is it to live healthy? Are gyms and healthy food popular?
>>
File: market.jpg (354KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
market.jpg
354KB, 1024x768px
>>1284961
There are some English speakers. English is required subject in school so I don't doubt you would at least be understood by a good amount of people.

There are also entire neighborhoods filled with expats that speak only English so you can always find someone to converse with.

If you know even a little Spanish its a great help.

As for health, its even easier than most western countries. There are huge open air markets where people come to sell fresh fruits and vegetables straight from the fields. Every major city is going to have several gyms which are usually pretty cheap. There are even vegetarian restaurants in the fancier parts of town.

Pic related is a market.
>>
>>1284842
What do you guys think about these? Nomad List notes them as cheap, safe and with fast internet:

>Burgas, Bulgaria
>Prague, Czech Republic
>Gdansk, Poland
>Coimbra, Portugal
> Kosice, Slovakia
>Tenerife, Canary Islands
>>
>>1285635
>Burgas, Bulgaria
Bulgaria in general is very cheap. I've heard iffy things about the mafia there, but you should take that with a grain of salt and find out for yourself.

>Prague, Czech Republic
Great city. Loads of expats there already. Be aware that loads and loads of big companies are moving departments there so prices will be going up considerably over the next 5-10 years.

>Gdansk, Poland
>Coimbra, Portugal
Can't comment.

> Kosice, Slovakia
>voluntarily moving to eastern Slovakia

>Tenerife, Canary Islands
The vibe I got was heaps of German and British retirees. Plus, it's an island so everything is more expensive than on the mainland.
>>
>>1284909
Eet ees perfectly safe, senorita. Only four beheadings een my deestreect last week.
>>
Porto, Portugal
>>
>>1285661
>Slovakia
Anyone know what prescription drug laws are like in Slovakia, or Slovenia, or the Czech Republic for that matter? I take a couple of blood pressure medications and where I am in Asia, I can just walk into a pharmacy and buy them. In the U.S. it would be a $200 doctor's appointment and ridiculous prices on the meds.
>>
File: 1596.jpg (68KB, 1000x627px) Image search: [Google]
1596.jpg
68KB, 1000x627px
I've been looking at living in the Canary Islands too. I want to live somewhere in Europe, that looks tropical and has good weather.

But is this a good place to live or just good for vacation?

Best island? I would rather go to Costa Rica but then there's the issue of visa and distance.
>>
You should check our Slovenia. My neighbour is from Sweden and he loves it. Plus everyone here speaks English fluently.
If you live in Ljubljana it's just an hour away from the sea.
It is quite comfy here.
>>
>>1286952
pharmacy is lekáreň in slovakian, that's all i can say.
maybe search for the specific brand name on sites like https://www.magister.sk/, if you find it here, you can buy the stuff without prescription.

even if you can't buy it without prescription, doctor's appointments are much cheaper compared with the us.
>>
>>1286952
>Slovenia
My dad also has problem with blood pressure. Here all prescription drugs are paid with tax payers money, all you need is health insurance. But we still buy some drugs on our own and it's not that expensive. Never been a problem getting stuff you need.
>>
File: koh-samui.jpg (204KB, 1366x905px) Image search: [Google]
koh-samui.jpg
204KB, 1366x905px
So how is Thailand actually? I know Chiang Mai is almost a meme at this point. I was looking at Koh Samui and it's very cheap and beautiful. How would the internet speed be? How safe is it?
>>
>>1287135
bamp
>>
File: IMG_20140529_162556539.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140529_162556539.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>1284842

I would recommend Provence, France

Lots of cities and towns to choose from, ie Arles, Montpellier, Marseille, Aix, Cannes or Nice

Hot all year round with mild winters

Easy access to pristine beaches

Safe and relatively affordable (outside of Marseille)

Lots of fun outdoors activities to participate in

Amazing food, some of the best in Europe. Easy access to italian, Mediterranean, french, world cuisine etc

Fiber Internet speeds are available

French is easy to learn and there are many english speaking expats in this region of France

If I had a EU passport I'd live there for the rest of my life, you are quite lucky OP!
>>
>>1285635
Gdansk is a great city. They're really into beer and food there, very cheap to live. Part of a tri-city setup with gdinya and sopot so there's stuff to do. It's quite touristy though but I'd love to live there
>>
>>1285635
I'm from Bulgaria, none of my friends foreigners have no complains about the life and the internet is actually pretty fast. Burgas is the second biggest bulgarian city on the black sea, I'm from the biggest called Varna and would recommend it to you. You'll love both cities especially during the summer, everything's great and cheap as hell with a western salary and during the winter the capital Sofia is nice.

Gdansk is also nice, beautiful city also but it's more than twice as expensive than in Bulgaria
>>
>>1288938
Hey there

I'm actually Bulgarian too, but haven't been back in years so my Bulgarian is very rusty. I grew up there and i loved it but I don't know what it would be like to live there as an adult. I'm considering going back, but my language skills are so bad now i'm embarrassed lol

During the summer I would love to live there especially to see my relatives. Nothing compares to going back to your home country, even if it's to a tiny shitty town. I've never actually spent a Christmas in BG.

How do Bulgarians react towards other bulgarians who speak "softly" with an accent? I can't read that fast either and my spelling is appalling. I'll get back up to speed of course if I live there, but I heard it's really frowned upon.
>>
Third Bulgarian here.

Burgas is expensive. Budapest is just as cheap and miles ahead. Go there.

>>1289147
>How do Bulgarians react towards other bulgarians who speak "softly" with an accent?

I'm really interested in anyone having BG as a foreign language, and you re-learning it would be interesting to me.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.