[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, any of you guys ever used those water bottle with a filter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: vader water ocean.jpg (874KB, 4000x5648px) Image search: [Google]
vader water ocean.jpg
874KB, 4000x5648px
So, any of you guys ever used those water bottle with a filter that claim to remove various shit-liquefying organism from the water? Or used on one of those UV sterilizing pens?

I know many of you will have opinions as to whether a traveler should just man the fuck up and drink the water, or whatever, but that is not what interests me -- what I am wondering is has anybody used these devices, and did they work for you?
>>
I use the sawyer mini filter when i'm on multi-day hikes if that's what you mean
>>
I would double up on the water-cleaning. Use a filter (preferably Sawyer Squeeze, not Sawyer Mini), AND use water purification tablets. Filter for the bacteria & protozoa (and some viruses); purification tablets for the other stuff that the filters can't catch.

I specifically recommend the Sawyer Squeeze because the Mini clogs easier. You'd have to backwash the Mini more frequently, and some users have reported slower waterflow over time, even with backwashing. Also, the Mini is rated for 100,000 litres, while the Squeeze is rated at 1,000,000. The only good thing that the Mini has going for it is the form factor, and even then, the Squeeze's size & weight isn't prohibitively large.

I realize I may sound like a Sawyer shill, but you're more than welcome to look at the specs for competing filters. Sawyer's specs are pretty damn convincing, though (I believe Renovo's filtration is slightly better, but they're usually very expensive or don't last as long).

If you want to read up on water purification tablets, give this article a try: http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2014/01/need-know-water-tablets.html

Last but not least, take diarrhea medication (such as Imodium) with you. You just never know. Alternatively, if you're mainly staying in cities or places with storefronts, you could just do your entire trip on nothing but storebought brand-named bottled water; there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>1282030
Thank you for a detailed and helpful response. I'll look into what you wrote.

Iwas originally looking at something like pic related -- I'm not going tobe filtering water with a lot of sediment or other stuff to clog the filter quickly, just want to screen out the wrigglies as much as possible that might be in otherwise clean-looking water.

And yes

Never travel 'cross the sea|,
Without Imodium, A.D.
>>
>>1282761
Forgot to post pic.
Also, anybody used the SteriPen. I feel a deep sense of skepticism that the amount of UV exposure it puts out is going to do much for you, but would be interested in anybody who has used one letting me know what the experienced.
>>
>>1282764
I personally am not a big fan of the SteriPen. I think the cons outweigh the pros.

Pros:
>works faster than water purification tablets
>doesn't affect taste

Cons:
>expensive
>fragile-looking
>electronic, ie. life depends on batteries, and being that it's electronic, it will one day fail
>>
>>1282971

Thanks for responding!

I would agree with your list of pros and cons, though to me the issue of not impacting the taste is a big enough pro to make it worth using -- IF it works.

But having messed with UV sterilization in aquarium keeping, I am skeptical that it can actually do what it purports to do. I guess the water getting treated DOES stay around the UV source longer than water passing through a ine in an aquarium filter would, but still...
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.