[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me where to go next to experience the most culture shock.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

Tell me where to go next to experience the most culture shock. I will only have 9-11 days including transit days. I will give you some history about myself.

>Have visited China, Thailand, Cambodia
>also visited Russia, ukraine, georgia
>leaving from the east coast of the US (probably IAD)

I have really liked all of the Asian Countries I have visited because they were so much different than home, however there are also some unique differences with east europe.

I am thinking India would be the best bet for transit time as well as just how different it is compared to the US. I was also thinking about Vietnam/Laos or Indonesia. However somewhere like Mongolia or Kyrgyzstan/Kazakhstan would also be very interesting. What does /trv/ think?
>>
>>1279693
>culture shock
India
>few tourist
Central Asia.
>>
If you have the money, consider Bhutan. If you don't have the money, consider Nepal (aka Bhutan Liteā„¢).
>>
>>1279725
What about Bhutan is expensive?
Food, lodging and transport aka everything?
>>
>>1279693
Most culture shock would be somewhere deep in the middle east or North Africa.
>>
>>1279727
>What about Bhutan is expensive?
>Food, lodging and transport aka everything?
Can't do it as an independent traveler, only on a guided tour with a gov't licensed provider, and the government sets the daily rates at a minimum of something like $250/day. They're very explicitly opposed to letting in hippy backpackers like Nepal.
>>
>>1279732
>They're very explicitly opposed to letting in hippy backpackers like Nepal.
What if you dress like a hippy but you also happen to have a lot of money?

'Cause that's kind of where I'm at. I don't wear stylish clothes, and I generally prefer to travel with one backpack. For added measure, I even have long hair & facial hair. I do shower, at least.
>>
>>1279693
I love Laos and Vietnam, but Laos apart from economy and politics is very similar to Thailand (terrain is visually much like Northern Thailand, cuisine and language much like Northeastern Thailand [Lao and Thai are nearly mutually intelligible--Lao people watch Thai TV without subtitles], and the rather more in-your-face aspects of Vietnam are vaguely reminiscent of China. So while these places may be shocking compared to home, they have a lot in common with places you've already been, so they're perhaps not the greatest choices if you're seeking something new and different.

India can be really mind-blowing. Very intense, very large, very colorful, very crowded. Some great food. High risk of stomach upset.

Central Asia could combine some of your Asian interests with some of the post-Soviet vibe you've experienced--I might choose that, personally. There's also a lot of Russian spoken if you have some. Even a lot of educated Mongolians have some Russian, actually, though it was never a true SSR.
>>
>>1279733
You can't backpack in by yourself is the major distinction, and local standards of dress and decency are very conservative (national dress is mandatory for citizens, and for anyone who does business with officials--my Indian-American friend who does work there has to wear saris to all her meetings, even though she wears jeans in her office at home).

I don't believe there's an explicit dress code for tourists, but if you didn't look presentable you would make a bad impression.
>>
>>1279701
Probably the best post here. India will completely obliterate you in what to expect
>>
>>1279744
>You can't backpack in by yourself is the major distinction
Actually, I read that you can go alone, it's just more expensive (groups of 3+ are the cheapest).

As for the dress code, I wouldn't mind dressing like one of them. Hell, I've always wanted to wear local clothes at least once in my travels.
>>
>>1279693
If you are looking for total culture shock, I suggest:
Bhutan
India
Mongolia
Kyrgizstan
Iran
Obscure Chinese provinces like Sinkiang or Inner Mongolia
Central Africa
>>
check out Venezuela
>>
>>1279778
not him but,

have you been to Mongolia? I have been thinking about it.

I'm fascinated by the steppe and its people
>>
>>1279701
>>1279740
>>1279778
What about India is so culture-shocking? Not OP
>>
>>1279787
the lack of loo

stacks of poo

no shampoo

poo covered shoe

can't eat moo

nothing is new

full of hindu

toilet is in situ

food will make you spew

goat is tough to chew

children grab at you

did I mention the poo?
>>
>>1279787
POO
>>
>>1279790
Ohh (You).
>>
>>1279786
Not him, but I have been there. It's another world. Just the vast, arid emptiness is beautiful. Would recommend it. Just be aware that it's practically impossible to do any independent travel there due to a lack of infrastructure. To see anything outside UB you need to have a local guide or at least a driver.
>>
File: 3swgcv.jpg (65KB, 625x468px) Image search: [Google]
3swgcv.jpg
65KB, 625x468px
>>1279693
>I will only have 9-11
>>
>>1279728
hes probably not looking to die from terrorism, which means the countries left open to him are pretty much countries that are trying to embrace a good amount of western ideals.
>>
>>1279740
See that is kind of how I am thinking, Central Asia would be a good blend of the bizarre from both parts of the world that I have visited. However I have worked up a couple of rough linearities for the area and I cant help but feel like a lot of the trip would be empty. While I am looking for culture shock as my main thing I would at least like a few major things to see while I am there and that is where Central Asia in general is lacking.

>>1279778
Iran would be my top choice however besides the newly implemented restriction on US citizens (not sure how long it last) the fact that US citizens have to have a guide the whole time kinda kills that idea, same thing with Bhutan although I must admit given the price difference and my amount of interest in that area I would go to Nepal before Bhutan.

Much of what you heat about India centers around southern and central india in terms of shock value, but how is northern india? Places like Leh?

Also Burma is interesting to me, it seems like a pretty unique blend of India and SEA. However I know there are some restrictions on movement within the country but I dont think its too the degree of Iran or Bhutan.
>>
In order to experience culture shock you have to have some amount of privilege. So fuck you OP not everyone has the privilege to vacation at others cultural expense.
>>
>>1279693
Culture shock really isn't a thing unless you're extremely sheltered, totally unwilling to try new thing, and/or you spend a significant amount of time in a single place (ATLEAST a month)
>>
>>1280189
>real traveler
>>
I experienced culture shock in Paris. In New York, the Chinese speak Chinese in Chinatown. Even outside Chinatown, it's extremely rare to see 2 Chinese speaking English to each other

In Paris, they all speak French way more than Chinese
>>
>>1280197
Yea multiple study abroads and living abroad proves you wrong. Most people when they are new to a country, especially one they planned to go to, are very excited for atleast 2 weeks. They usually don't find the differences inconvenient and most people have done some sort of prep. Culture shock really doesn't settle in until you actually begin to miss home and the minor or large difference start to truly inconvenience you.
>>
>>1279786
>>1279832
I've heard that those goddamn Mongorians like to beat up anybody remotely not Asian. When they're done that and there's still time left, THEN they'll start going after the non-Mongolian Asians.
>>
Try Morocco, or anywhere in western Africa.
>>
Detroit
>>
>>1279918
Literally nothing to do in Central Asia.
>>
>>1279778
>Iran

Wut

I mean, it's obviously not Western and you notice you're in a theocracy but I never really experienced culture shock there. Fuck compared to India it was like coming back to western civilization
>>
>>1280226
I've lived in a small Montana city all my life, basically never traveled (biggest city i've been to is Seattle and it kicked my ass) and I'm going to Tokyo next year.

Should be fun.
>>
>>1279693
>culture shock
Amsterdam.
Going there after being in Prague was a slap in the face.

I spent 5 weeks in Hanoi, (as well as short stops in Hoi An, Da Nang and Saigon) Vietnam is a must, hands down beats any of the food in China.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.