[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 352
Thread images: 30

File: Film5483_35.jpg (3MB, 3089x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Film5483_35.jpg
3MB, 3089x2048px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese.
What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1275640
>>
>>1279376
i literally just dropped 400 bucks on a 3some in roroponggi.
>>
>>1279380
name of the place?

>>1279376
>Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese.
So there's this site http://www.singlemanstravel.com/kinpeibai-yoshiwara-soapland/, basically listed all the foreigner friendly place for sex. So is the site right?
>>
>>1279376
What camera and film stock was this pic taken with?
>>
>>1279388
Minolta SRT-101 with a 50mm f/1.7

Film was Fuji Venus 800
>>
>>1279382
I have a 30 dollar bj bar around the corner, but can't go... Damn...
>>
File: FuranoSkiAreaMap.jpg (383KB, 700x498px) Image search: [Google]
FuranoSkiAreaMap.jpg
383KB, 700x498px
Hey guys, I'm going to Japan this December/January and will be spending about a week around Hokkaido. I'd like to book a ski package, has anyone had any experience doing this?

At this moment, I'm travelling solo but that may change. I'm going to be doing it on the cheap, only staying at hostels, flights will be paid for with my airline points. That said, I don't mind splurging a little bit for a ski package as I know they're usually expensive anywhere in the world.

I'll appreciate any tips, suggestions and recommendations that comes my way.
>>
>>1278428
I'll take a higher resolution picture in a few days.
>>
>>1279380
Penetration included? Name of the place pls.
>>
Best season to visit Japan?
http://www.strawpoll.me/13447491
>>
>>1279444
I'm in Tokyo now, said I'd visit Akihabara later to check her out, not sure when I will, maybe tomorrow.

I also need a good suck, so I hope there's a bj bar near. Need to ditch my "mother" first...
>>
Going with a group and using my CC for some purchases. Everyone in the group seems to be flipping out about me wanted to use a credit card spouting "japan is a cash country". I get that smaller shops could be cash only but don't see how larger chain resturants could survive without credit card machines.

I'm going 90% cash, 10% card(most for like breakfast, 711 snacks, stuff at lawsons, etc). That shouldn't be a problem with a card right?
>>
>>1279546
You're right. Everyone is stupid and you know best always.
>>
>>1279546
keep using cc. I use cc whenever possible. Who cares about what your friends think. Tell them it's not 1990s anymore.
>>
>>1279546
In Tokyo, most places will take CC. Most restaurants, all convenience stores, most shops. PASMO reloads and initial deposit are cash only. I used my CC as much as possible as well. Just a warning thougj, make sure your CC doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. That's another 2.5% or more you pay on each purchase.
>>
>>1279380
Did you have full sex? if so name of the place please. I want try out a Jap girl in a few weeks.
>>
What are the advantages/disadvantages of going to Japan for the 2020 Olympics? What things will be harder/easier to do from all the things going on in the city, etc. as opposed to a trip to Japan another summer?
>>
>>1279637
If it's anything like the London games, you can expect Tokyo to be much busier and there to be lots of security around the Olympic venues. I wouldn't be surprised of airlines and hotels jump up their prices during the games either.
>>
>>1279640

This is just persona thinking but I can't imagine anything whatsoever that would be better during the Olympics. Even the touristy things you might like to do that may have increased their capacity for the games are only doing so because that threshold is going to be immediately met. This isn't just an average day where you and a handful of other tourists are there it's the entire world. There may be some kind of unique events and stuff set up specifically for that time period but I can't imagine it's worth the crowd. And guarantee everything is going to be more expensive.
>>
>>1279641
Yes, it's difficult to recommend visiting Tokyo during that period unless you actively want to watch the Olympic events.
>>
I've only spent a couple weeks in Japan, but I plan on staying there for 1-3 months very soon. I'm going to practice learning code while I'm there, and plan on staying in a hostile in Kyoto, Osaka, or Tokyo.
It seem I can get away with $20 per night, which is nice. Any thoughts on this? I'll not bring much other than some clothes and my laptop, so I'll be exploring and studying.
>>
>>1279687
>hostile
>>
Whats the best maid cafe in akibahara?
>>
>>1279687
I don't know what your question is or if you need anything but have fun!
>>1279717
can't go wrong with Maid Dreamin or whatever it is called
>>
>>1279376
Why are the trains so good? even more so the monorails.
https://youtu.be/bdt1zzp6Tcc
>>
>>1279907

Remember to report this faggot for advertising :)
>>
>>1279382
>>1279477
>>1279613
>mfw this is why they never open their shit to foreigners

same goes for the best bars to pick up women, never let other foreigners know, they sperg out and fuck shit up like nobodies biznass
>>
>>1279382
The post says "ALMOST completely inaccessible" and then proceeds to list options. The site is probably not wrong. No one will argue this.
>>
Gonna be in Tokyo for 3 nights in December, should I be focusing on anything other than the main tourist spots?
>>
>>1279613
Why don't you just use Tinder like a normal person unless you're some no-chin mouth breathing fat-ass.

>whoremongers

Stooping to shrimp dick salary man level, baka.
>>
>>1279915
>people believing that he got 3p for that price
>people believing him at all when he said in Roppongi
>>
>>1280007
why not? a hooker for an hour runs $150-200 so two would be $400. Sure Kabuchiko is the #1 place but there are also some in Roppongi. Not to mention he didn't say he got the hookers in Roppongi: he might have just been staying there in a hotel and called them in
>>
>want to travel to japan
>have zero experience with travel, let alone abroad
>can't find anyone to go with me
>>
>>1279915
>sperg out
Anon, all I did was ask for the name was the place. Is that not an appropriate question?
>>
>>1280064
I'll join you in exploring Japan if our dates are similar since I'll be there by myself as well.
>>
>>1280064

Go on your own man that's what I'm doing next month. I don't like traveling with someone else it becomes a crutch to insulate you from anything too foreign and it keeps you from really diving in. It happens to a lot of people who study abroad with their school too. You just gravitate towards the familiar and end up frequenting foreigner bars and not participating in the culture and new experiences around you.
>>
>>1279637
They push an agenda for globalism in Japan. Already now more and more shit gets translated to English. Even the snacks in the Konbini has English translations now. That means more and more weebs are coming and Japan is going to end up as a multi cultural shithole like any other places on earth right now. That's what going to happen
>>
>>1279915
Don't be so rude. I'm going to tell my /trv/ friends right now how to get the best girls. Talk to some of those friendly nigerian touts in Roppongi or Kabukicho and they will lead you to good spots. They know all the perfect places to find nice girls.

Actually, no don't do it.
>>
How do I into cell phone in Japan?

Cheaper to bring my phone and buy a plan or get a burner or what? USA Verizon fag btw
>>
>>1280099

Check with Verizon first some companies offer a plan that lets you use unlimited texts and data in Japan. Think T-Mobile does for sure.

If not your options are a Japanese sim card or renting a wifi hotspot.
>>
>>1280100
Thanks.

I paid for a plan in London but can't remember the price.
>>
>>1280100
What are the advantages and disadvantages of either?
>>
Only get a burner phone if your phone is not compatible with b-mobile and you don't plan on using your cellphone as the primary camera/social media hub.

personally I just went and got a dual sim 150 dollar asus phone and planning to use it. Actually started using it as my main phone since the specs are decent
>>
>>1280106

Don't take my word for it because I've never done it, I'm going next month, but with the pocket wifi you can connect multiple devices and you'll have service even in the boonies but you have to frequently recharge it and carry it around whereas the sim card you can just pop into your phone (will require playing around in the settings) and while it's only going to work for whatever device it's in you at least don't have to worry about recharging or keeping track of it. You'd probably want to keep turning off your pocket wifi when not using it to conserve battery which might get annoying if you're expecting calls/texts or something.

Watch out that your phone isn't sim-locked too. I'm not sure if Verizon does that with their phone.

Pocket Wifi
+Potentially more coverage for rural Japan
+Multiple devices
+Instant access
-Battery
-More to carry (Might even need a portable battery pack/charger)

SIM
+Nothing else to carry
+Don't have to worry about battery
+No need to turn off/on can just use your phone normally
-Some companies are SIM locked
-Can't use multiple devices (No laptop or if you're going in a group everyone needs their own SIM)
-Better in inner city than rural areas
>>
Verizon allows you to pay $40 a month for unlimited everything in Japan. Easiest way there is, I believe.

If you aren't going to use your phone often, it's $10 a day on only the days you send/receive texts/phone calls.
>>
Anyone what's a good wifi rental service company? Been looking around and I've noticed there's a bunch of different options with varying prices. Anyone know which one is better, or are they all the same?
>>
Going to Osaka for about 5 days in october, already booked my lodgings at a hostel. Just wanted to know if it is feasible to do day trips to Mount Koya, Kyoto and Nara within those 5 days or is it stretched a bit too thin? I've read up on Mount Koya and if anything I'd want to just arrive there by late afternoon, go through Okuonin and go back to Osaka. Anyone have experience with that?
>>
>>1280142
I recommend you spend a night on Mount Koya. It was only $90 for a temple stay and it was the single most relaxing and awesome thing I did in Japan.
>>
>>1280131
b mobile is probably your best bet
>>
>>1280115
>Can't use multiple devices (No laptop or if you're going in a group everyone needs their own SIM)
Most phones can teather, set up a hot spot, or bridge via usb.
>-Better in inner city than rural areas
what? this isn't necessarily true in any circumstance.
>>
>>1280198

I just mean service wise. It's going to be much the same in Japan as it is over here where you'll have better service in Tokyo than a mountaintop in Osaka
>>
>>1280201
Your mobile wifi is going to use the same towers that your sim card uses. There is virtually no difference. The biggest factor is literally just that the pocket wifi will broadcast a small wifi network for devices, vs. a phone that might not do hotspots(which most all modern phones do).
>>
>>1280115
>>1280131
>>1280204
If you are only using your phone, get a data sim. You don't have to worry about charging a separate device or returning it. I used Yokosim on my trips and had no problems, ordered from Amazon so I could take it with me. My carrier now offers a fixed daily price for data in Japan so will try that out next time.
>>
I've been to Tokyo a few times with company, but I'm looking into going to Osaka and the surrounding cities solo early next year. Flights are pretty cheap, and I'll be on a tighter budget.
I haven't booked anything at all yet but I've been doing some research and would appreciate if you guys could recommend places to check out.

Accommodation: I was recommended K's House and Sakura House from someone on here before, private hostel rooms.

Nightlife: Dotonbori and Shinasaibashi seem to be the best areas to hang out, but I've also read Shinsekai is amazing at night, same with the S. Corridor heading up to Dobutsuen-Mae station? Is the Misono Building cool after hours? Live music would be a highlight anywhere.

Beyond that, a day trip to Kyoto, not sure about Kobe, and would like to spend a few hours near the sea. Any ideas? Kinda thinking out loud here but I'm sure many of you have been and can give some insight.
>>
Say I buy a JR pass, how easy is to go around with it? I mean knowing which train to get in, where it goes, where to get off. I known basic Japanese and it will definitely be better when I be there, but it is still scary to be going around in a foreign country.

Also can you trust the Google GPS on my phone? It's pretty reliable when I'm at unknown cities here but how is it on Japan?
>>
>>1280268
very easy with the jr pass.
You can always ask the people working there, they are pro. Tip: Station is "Eki".
Just be careful not to catch a local train instead of a rapid/express/wathever. I made the mistake at Imabari because there was no English on the screen near the track. Made my trip way longer.

But seriously always ask if you have any doubts.
>>
>>1280268

Download Hyperdia. Most station stuff will be in English too anyway.
>>
>>1280274
So you can get in any train you want? I thought you had to go to a stand where you show them the pass and they give you the ticket.

I can get into the area where the trains stop and just ride myself as much as I want around the country?
>>
>>1280289
That's only if you want reserved seating on a bullet train or express train. For unreserved seating on any JR train, you just show the pass when you enter and exit the station.
>>
>>1280289
Also, do this>>1280288

For Japanese rail, Hyperdia is the single most useful app you can get. Also, for the JR pass, do some fare calculations before purchasing to see if you actually need one.
>>
How are the prices at Uniqlo? I'm moving to Nagoya in October and want to wait to buy clothes until I get there. I imagine it's almost the same as a discount store/thrift shop?
>>
>>1280289
Everything with a JR logo you're free to board except for the better classes on the shinkansen. Its such an incredible deal Japanese nationals are not allowed to get it
>>
>>1280306

Where the hell did you get that idea? Uniqlo is good clothing definitely not thrift store level stuff.
>>
>>1280220
if you have a locked cellphone by carrier get the wifi thing. otherwise get the sim and hotspot
>>
>>1280310
>I was only pretending to be retarded
I honestly don't know, I've been without sleep for 3 days now anon, pls no bully. Any good recs for a somewhat inexpensive store?
>>
Where to get a pocket wifi? I don't need sim card. No one to call.
>>
>>1280316
You can't get a sim card with voice calling as a gaijin tourist anyway.

Unless you are traveling in a group, a sim card is much better. You don't need to carry another physical device nor worry about keeping it charged all day.
>>
Any cool night spots recommendations for a solo traveler in Tokyo?
Ben Fiddich is pretty dope
Looking for else that provides a unique experience.
>>
File: c176.jpg (79KB, 792x457px) Image search: [Google]
c176.jpg
79KB, 792x457px
On the subject of phones, which apps would you guys recommend for a non-Japanese speaker traveling to Japan and specifically Tokyo?
>>
>>1280306
Uniqlo is basically the Asian H&M/C&A.
>>
>>1280384
the google translate app
>>
>>1280384

Hypderia for trains and Yomiwa for translation.
>>
>>1280389
>Yomiwa for translation
How well does that work, exactly?
>>
>>1280310
If you want some good clothes, I would advise against shopping from there. As >>1280385 says, it is very basic and boring clothing. The thermal clothing is okay for the price though.

>>1280306 there are a lot of well priced thrift stores all around Japan, as well as heaps of independent clothing brands that are cheaper and equally if not better quality than Western brands. I suggest doing some research and finding where the best alternative lifestyle districts are in Nagoya. They'd be less gentrified than Tokyo, so it would have to be cheaper.
>>
>>1280306
Uniqlo jeans and basics (tees, socks and thermal underwear) are god tier for the price.
Flannels and linen shirts are good.
Stay away from things like their coats and dress shirts they're usually plasticy and fit badly.
>>
So I have around 160 000 yen and I'm staying in Tokyo for a month, my flights and place to stay are already paid, do I have enough money to survive the month, I'm not a big drinker or visit clubs and such really at all. What is a good daily budget?
>>
>>1280142
I agree with >>1280191. It will take a long time to get out there and back, but I heard it's a beautiful trip. I went by car and really loved the area, but I would just stay one night. There isn't too much to do, but what is there is really breath-taking and relaxing.
>>
>>1280408
That's a really good suggestion, thanks for the info!
>>1280418
That's good to hear, I was hoping to pick up just the basics at the start then move on to getting some fancy pantsy stuff later on.
>>
>>1280348
There was a neat bar that specializes in Belgian craft beer, Delirium Cafe Reserve, if you lile that kind of thing.
>>
>>1280424

A month might be rough. I'm going for two weeks with 2k USD and considering it a budget trip. Eat at konbini and dollar sushi and avoid tourist traps
>>
>>1280615
Would I be okay if I can gather ~60 000 yen more for my trip?
>>
File: 200_s.gif (38KB, 452x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
38KB, 452x200px
>>1280268
google maps works very well, i used it to use the subways system
>no japanese
>>
How much should I set aside for 2-3 weeks in Japan? I'm not sure when/where I'll go, but I want to make sure I'll have enough money.
I don't drink or party, and I'm mostly interested in cultural and historical stuff (i.e. temples, museums, old buildings, and general whack Japanese places such as Akihabara).
>>
>>1280615
Personally, I had a hard time spending $1400, not including lodging, rail pass, and flights, in a 3 week trip. And I'm a major weeb.
>>
>>1280668

That's actually good to know. I didn't think I'd spend all $2000, the only really expensive thing I have planned is Tokyo Disney & Disney Sea. But it's good to know I can be a little more lax with my budget.
>>
>>1280670
It helps that I did my best to limit myself on souvenirs. I spent around $45 USD on the KanColle arcade game in my last two days, along with another $200~ on stuff from Amiami, Mandarake, and a used book store in Nagasaki. Other than that, my souvenirs were a bunch of mugs and a sake set, around $40. I did a lot of traveling in the 3 weeks as well, so I had a lot of cheap conbini meals along with a few $30-$60 meals at higher end places.
>>
How is the best way to get to Narita Airport Tokyo? Having Shinjuku nearby the hotel...

Yellow JR line to Tokyo and then the blue line to Narita? How long would it take? I have a JR pass.
>>
File: news3-scroller.nar - Copy.jpg (34KB, 299x218px) Image search: [Google]
news3-scroller.nar - Copy.jpg
34KB, 299x218px
>>1280666
Including the flight I'd say about $2500-$3000 minimum. It really depends on when you go, where you go, and where you come from.
>>
File: 62417829_p0.jpg (74KB, 462x502px) Image search: [Google]
62417829_p0.jpg
74KB, 462x502px
>>1280694
So how do I go about getting souvenirs back home? I plan on buying mostly books and maybe a couple of figures, with some other stuff friends have asked for. Should I bring an empty suitcase or mail it home?
>>
>>1280698
I found it, never mind
>>
>>1280698
N'EX

>>1280709
Depending on what you have, either ship it back through mail or buy a cheap suitcase from Donki. Also plan ahead if you want to mail it home. I tried this last minute, couldn't find a post office, and had to do the suitcase instead. I had a 26" suitcase I brought with me, and I bought a small carryon for 4k yen that I used to carry what wouldn't fit in the big case.
>>
>>1279376
>Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese.
So what do men do there? Catch the nearest loli and rape her?
>>
>>1280726
Go on Tinder
>>
I know Roppongi is foreigner central when it comes to nightlife, are the Japanese that party there more likely to be fluent in English? I'm just looking to party with natives and cross that language and culture gap as best as possible.
>>
>>1280712
Thanks, I think I'll try and find a post office near the bnb. I could always ask the host if they're around. I can't mail alcohol can I?
>>
>>1279986
If you only have 3 nights, nah. Go for the big stuff first, and if you come back another time you can hit the more niche attractions.
>>
Where would I be able to find a sexy calendar? Adult shops don't have it...
>>
>>1280064
Just go dude. Japan is one of the easiest countries to navigate solo. Plus, >>1280089 is right. Going with another person restricts your freedom.

It seems tough if you've never done it, but I swear, solo travel in japan is fun and super easy.
>>
I'm going to Tokyo for two weeks alone for the first time. Should I have an itinerary or is better to just kind of experience things? Seems like in any direction you go there's a ton to go. I was thinking of just taking an area by day. Shibuya one day. Shinjuku another. Roppongi. Chiba. Etc and just exploring them to their fullest. But I worry I might miss things and waste time being inefficient with my roadmap. On the flipside trying to plan everything out seems stressful without even knowing where everything is and how train times will work and permit me.

How have you guys who have been before generally done it?
>>
Anyone know if the sumidagawa fireworks are canceled because of the rain?
>>
>>1280785
I just got back to the hotel. I think they cancelled it because it really started to poor... I'm soaked, so did anyone clever enough to buy an umbrella see fireworks?
>>
>>1280706
Netherlands, probably going in summer (July-August), maybe going from Tokyo to Kyoto or vise-versa with some places in between.
I also don't plan on buying a lot of weeb/geek stuff, so that will probably help my budget.
>>
>>1280424
I lived in tokyo for a month on about ~600 USD. That includes the occasional fancy meal and various museum admission fees, plus booze (store-bought, much cheaper) every night. I had to be frugal with most meals (I ate like, nearly 100 bananas in 30 days because they're pretty cheap), had instant ramen more than a few times, but I was never in any danger of starving or getting stranded, and still had a great time of travelling the city and seeing the sights. You'll be fine.
>>
>>1280726
Nothing. Assuming they're well-adjusted adults, they go to temples, arcades, museums, and restaurants, and just don't voraciously and desperately pursue sex for a couple weeks while they're on fucking vacation.
>>
Anyone got info on wonderfest? I found out late and want to try attending.
>>
>>1280740
I'm not sure what the rules for shipping alcohol is, but I'm almost positive its easier to bring that back in your checked luggage. A lot of shops will box and pad the bottles you buy as well.
>>
>>1280825
WonFes is a Sunday only thing, and if I timezoned correctly it's over now.
>>
>>1280805
That made me feel lot better, thanks man.
>>
>>1280850
>>1280825

Scratch that, I timezoned wrong. Makuhari Messe, Tokyo. I forget the rail line. Starts at 10 AM Tokyo time I think, on Sunday. Go attend, theres usually some cool stuff even if you aren't a weeb. I was at the Winter 2017 Wonfes.
>>
I'm heading to Tokyo in mid-september and was hoping to climb Fuji, however I get there after the official climbing season has closed, along with most of the huts. How difficult would it be to get to the summit and watch the sunrise, whilst having like no sleep along the way?
>>
>>1279546
everyone in your group is an idiot. ALMOST everywhere I go takes CC. I've had a lot taxis and a couple restaurants ask me to use CC so they don't have to deal with inconvenient change. I use CC a lot so I don't burn through my cash. Always make sure you have enough cash though. Make sure you have cash for bars, local public transit, and just in case for small stores and restaurants. Generally places where you'll be spending over 1500 yen accept credit card happily.
>>
>>1280872
This, I used CC wherever possible, which was 70-80% of my purchases. Rest was cash.
>>
>>1280306
Hey I live in Nagoya, you can find a lot of really cool stuff at Osu Kannon for cheap I think that's what you're looking for from what it sounds like. . You can get nicer brand name stuff west of central park . Like another anon said Uniqlo is basically like an H&M. You can explore the underground shopping centers and the department stores too, but I've never found anything there I would buy.

Hope you enjoy Nagoya Anon. If you want feel free to ask me any questions, I've lived here for 6 months. Not a long time but I've learned some things.
>>
>>1280860
You can climb it until late November and after that only if you have alpine climbing experience. I wouldn't climb it alone to be honest at night in off season and I have alpine experience.
>>
Can I have fun in Japan with 300 for the week?

Not including flight and hotel/air bnb
>>
>>1280806
>fucking vacation
>no sex
wait a minute
>>
>>1280856
Headed out after a shower and some grub. I hope there's no issues getting in.
>>
>>1280938
Ps: thanks!
>>
>>1280907

Define "fun"
>>
>>1280950
Eat Japanese food (nothing extravagant but still stuff that I can't really get in California), go check out an onsen, fun nights at the club with girls who want to interact with me to practice and use their English. Maybe go out with one for a couple days...
>>
>>1280853
No problem. I've done two other trips to Japan on pretty much the same budget as well (2 weeks and 3 weeks), so it's definitely doable. My expert advice for super-low-budget travel would be to be fairly stingy for at least the first half of the trip, and save the more exciting, big-ticket stuff for after you've gotten a sense of how your budget is holding up.

>>1280908
Yeah, a vacation from fucking. Duh, anon.
>>
>>1280879
Hey thanks for the info! I actually have a couple questions. Are there any lowkey bars you would recommend? Any lesser known places to grab a good bite to eat? How is the weather usually? From what I've read the weather can be kinda iffy depending on the season. One more, any recommendations on areas to shop that won't break the bank? I'm not going to have a lot of money when I move out there so I would love to know of some good shops that are rather inexpensive. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks anon, can't wait to get there!
>>
Traveling alone
3-4 weeks
Budget not an issue, but aiming for hostels for the social part

Was about to book Vietnam, but tempted into booking Japan. Anyone who has been to both and can give their preference?
>>
Just choose the option that interests you more, you can always travel to the other place later, if your first idea was Vietnam and you are really interested on it, then go for it.
>>
>>1281019
>>1280977
>>
>>1280977
I also wanted to spend a long time there like 3~4 weeks since I want to go there so much and for a long time. But money aside, I wonder if I won't get tired or run out of places to visit.

Has anyone stayed for longer periods?
>>
>>1281033
I can tell you that anywhere you stay that's not your home for long periods of time will get boring. It will get monotonous. It will get expensive and sometimes lonely.

Reality is most places are the same when it comes down to it. People working, people drinking, people sleeping, people eating.
>>
>>1280963
Are there any lowkey bars you would recommend?
It depends if you're looking for an expat bar or a local bar. If you're looking for some cheaper drinks in a lowkey setting you can just go to a restaurant and hang out and drink. I got kinda tipsy in a Yamachan this weekend because I was bored and hungry.

There's loads of british style pubs in Fushimi if you're looking for something like that. Generally tho in Japan drinks at bars on the expensive side.

Any lesser known places to grab a good bite to eat?
It depends what kind of food are you looking for? There's restaurants everywhere.

One more, any recommendations on areas to shop that won't break the bank?
I think your best bet is to go around Osu Kannon it's like a covered outdoor mall that is huge. Tons of cheap places. There's also a really good brazilian place there which may answer your food question.

I think the weather has been great here and heard it doesn't get that cold in the winters like where it snows everyday and shit. Summer is really hot, but personally I don't mind it because I'm from humid climate.
>>
How do you guys manage without knowing Japanese?
>>
>>1281068
All the signs in major cities are in English. Use google translate app if you need anything.

Helps if you are enjoy being by yourself.
>>
>>1281067
I was looking for some local bars, expat bars seem like a bad idea because I want to immerse myself in the culture if that makes sense. Local bars would be ideal. I'll be sure to check out some of those pubs in Fushimi though. As for food I was hoping for some basic stuff, nothing to fancy or anything, I imagine walking around would be my best bet. However, Takoyaki is my jam so anyplace with that is A-OK in my book. I'll check out Osu Kannon for sure, that sounds really fun honestly.
Thanks for the info man! It really helps.
>>
>>1280744
Make at least a basic itinerary and "experience" things in between. If you don't, you'll be overwhelmed or miss out on things.

My first trip I wanted to go to Akiba but didn't research specific places. Ended up leaving before visiting any of the major stores because I had no idea where the good shops were.
>>
Maybe this is a stupid question, but does anyone know where I could get nunchucks or something similarly martial arts themed in fukuoka? I need a souvenir for my brother.
>>
>>1281059
Damn that feel.
>>
>>1281088
Traveling is a means to find yourself bro. You'll never get any lasting satisfaction from external sources.

You first, always.
>>
>>1281068
As >>1281072 says, pretty well all street signs, public transport signs, etc are in English as well as Japanese. A lot with Chinese and Korean as well.

Everything that is important to you will be in English as well as Japanese. This is actually a perk because in an English speaking country, we are overloaded with information because everything is written in English and there is no escape. In a non-English country like Japan, only the important things are in English, so you're not constantly digesting superfluous information like adverts and whatnot. It can be quite liberating going to a country with little English because of that.
>>
It's >>1281124
I'm not sure if I explained that second part well but hopefully you get the idea.

Japan is great for people wanting to travel to Asia in easy mode.
>>
any suggestions on what to do in osaka?

I've got a trip to japan with 2 other friends and everything is mostly planned out except osaka. Will be there for 3 days.
>>
Is TokyoCheapo the best place to find sample itineraries? I just want a loose guide to keep me on track while I explore Tokyo.
>>
>>1281140
It's pretty good. It'll show you a few things that you might not otherwise know about. But a real, full itinerary will require a little more legwork.
>>
>>1281135
Eat street food and go drinking in Dotombori
Visit Osaka Castle
Go clothes shopping in Orange Street, if you're into sneakers, there are a few shops with limited edition sneakers only available at that store
If you're into rides, go to Universal
If you're into art, the National Museum of Art has some Cezannes, Picassos and Ernsts, as well as Japanese artists
Theres also a big aquarium in Osaka but I haven't been to it yet

I like the nightlife in Osaka more than Tokyo, so if you like going out then I'd definitely recommend it.
>>
>>1281033
>>1281059
Well, booked 2,5 week in november.. and still going to Vietnam beginning 2018.. Japan was cheaper than I expected.. cheers
>>
Okay so, I want to plan a trip to japan for me and my GF, I want to stay in a more rural area because one of my main motivations is photography but I'd also like to be able to easily get to a big city so that I could go on day trips to landmarks etc, I'd be looking at about a 2 week stay.

>what is a rough budget I should set for two people for 2 weeks in a small city
>is two weeks enough to see 2 or 3 major tourist spots and chill
>what prefecture would you recommend
>>
>>1279376
https://youtu.be/x_gj1c7AW88
>>
>>1281205
>>>/int/77746751
>>>/int/77746729
Really, dude?
>>
>>1279444
>>1279540
Looking forward to knowing someone saw. I think they placed it behind one of the registers on one of the top two floors, they seem to wait until it's full of pictures to put on display in the stairs.
>>
Is Japanese television as cheesy and soap opera-esque as the ads on the trains make them seem?
>>
moved to kyoto two weeks ago for work and while i've been here before, the prospect of being here for at least a year is very alienating. it turns out japan isn't a great place to move to if you already have serious depression + anxiety.
>>
>>1281234
The extremely serious dramas are all very good, but the regular ones with comedy mixed in/rom-com ones tend to be very hit or miss but are a lot easier to like if you don't think of them as American drama/comedies but more like they are filmed plays. The overreactions make more sense in that context and its what audiences expect.
>>
How much clothing do you guys pack? I'm gonna be there for two weeks. Wondering how often I'll be able to do laundry at one of the coin laundromats. Figure I can hit up a sento while my stuff washes every couple days. I'm probably just taking jeans and white tees. Keep it simple and easy to pack.
>>
>>1281309
Be warned, shit's gonna be pretty hot most likely.
>>
>>1281202
Went with my GF for a month this spring. We picked out a random town on a map and ended up going to Kumanoshi in Mie prefecture for a few days. It was obviously off season for tourists, but it was amazing. So quiet and small, you can bike around to everywhere inside Kumano city, see rice fields and all sorts of shit. Also the beach in nearby town Akashita (a town so small it doesn't have a wikipedia page, and no restaurant during off season) is amazing. Recommend Mie prefecture due to obscurity.
>>
>>1281231
Couldn't find it unfortunately. Back home now, bummer
>>
File: 1497099757259.jpg (128KB, 1199x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1497099757259.jpg
128KB, 1199x1199px
If you are western, stay out of japan. We do not like you dirty disrespectful monkeys throwing trash around our cities. Even worse is if you are brown skinned, everything said before applies to you. We recommend you stay in your own crime-ridden cities and don't bring your problems here.

We built this land, and we don't need smelly disrespectful foreigners destroying it.
>>
>>1281240
Better yourself or get out.

>>1281202
Go to Tokyo and take the train to surrounding locations.

>>1281135
For Osaka stay in hotel and eat out at expensive restaurants. Fly out of Kansai.
>>
>>1279987
Tinder sucks for men in the west, imagine Japan with the lenguage barrier. Any experience picking up girls there in Tinder?
>>
>>1281392
Kill yourself bitch.
>>
Gonna be in japan from feb 10 to march 10, people have told me that the best time of the year to go is autum or srping, but this winter was the only time I could go for an entire month.

Is the winter in japan too cold? I've read that it goes from 0Cº to 12Cº, but that doens't tell me much. Also, what things would I be missing from going on winter time instead of spring time, or what things I would be able to see or do in the winter that I woulnd't be able to in other seasons?
>>
In Osaka. Foreigner friendly places to eat? The social awkwardness that comes from only speaking English is killing me. Will it get a little easier once I get to Tokyo?
>>
>>1281499
No. Just accept it and deal with it. Tons of people come to the US who don't speak English and they get by, even with shittier service and servers who are less accommodating. Enjoy the social pass that comes with no expectations on you.
>>
>>1281326

Yeah I'm going mid-August so I'm for sure expecting the humidity. I have shorts but idk feels a little TOO touristy. Figure jeans and v necks will be light enough.
>>
>>1281465
Im going in december and wanna know about the weather too.

Anyone?
>>
>>1281465
>>1281530
It's largely relative on where you're from and where you're going. Winter in Kyushu will be significantly different from winter in Hokkaido. Look up the average temperature and snowfall for the areas you'll be visiting.
>>
>>1281534
I'm going to stay mainly in Tokyo.
>>
>>1281392
Maybe tinder sucks for unattractive men with no social skills. Learn to take care of your appearance and communicate with people correctly and tinder is awesome. I get a lot of great use out of it.
>>
>>1281465
>>1281530

I stayed in tokyo for about a week in january and it was fine. I do like the cold, but even considering that, it was pretty mild. I brought a medium-weight jacket and some flannel and felt good the whole time.
>>
landing in tokyo next week, hows the weather?
>>
>>1281617
Little rainy. Pretty cloudy. Hot and humid enough to make you want 2 showers a day.
>>
File: da.jpg (50KB, 778x571px) Image search: [Google]
da.jpg
50KB, 778x571px
>>1281617
Seriously, though. Just a Google search away.
>>
im going to tokyo with only 1000 bucks for a week. what can i do in a week with all of that?
>>
>>1281637
You will be quite comfortable if you don't buy any really expensive meals or souvenirs.

If you just Google 7 day Tokyo itineraries, you will most likely be able to afford to do most of them.
>>
>>1281579

No need to be an ass to the dude. He's right. I've had success with it since I started using it 2 weeks ago, but theres no denying that if you dont speak nip your options are a lot more limited. Why shit on him for pointing out a reality?
>>
>>1281662
I wasn't talking about tinder in Japan. I've never used it there, so I wouldn't know. I suspect it IS difficult and maybe even a waste of time to some degree. But I was responding to his comment that tinder sucks even when there's no language barrier.
>Tinder sucks for men in the west
So I wasn't shitting on him for "pointing out a reality," I was shitting on him for misrepresenting reailty by making broad generalizations about tinder being bad based on his own personal experience of it being bad. If it's not working for him, it's because he's not doing it right, not because the platform is fundamentally ineffective.
>>
>>1281365
What is this? Shilling? Trolling?
>>
File: 4YmxuVh.jpg (20KB, 361x250px) Image search: [Google]
4YmxuVh.jpg
20KB, 361x250px
>>1281682
I've seen some tinder hookups with a 'pro' guy. A collage. Didn't save it.

What the guy did had was that broad chin, was abviously muscular, had a straight cut and when he text them he went straight to the point while making fun of it/being cool about it/didn't give fucks - that is, hooking up for t3h sex.
I.e. "Hey. I don't give a fuck. I am willing to fuck your brains out any day for an ice cream. But you gotta pay for the ice cream. How does tonight, your place and coffe afterwards sound?"

Nothing else you text will be taken seriously, so might as well be totaly degenerate about it anyway. Most women don't care about promiscurity. They just want to fuck with a hot guy. THE hot guy.

They will drool over you completely right on the spot. Even if they probably could guess they're numer 100 on the list they won't care about it as long you're hot and you're interrested/don't care/just want sex. They will pay your drinks. Have sex in their parents bed. Hook up after never seeing you. Almost anything.

They will do almost anything. As long you're attractive. They just want dick from a dick if you follow the procedure as long there's no strings attatched.

Of course, being fun/casual/whatever just makes it easier for them to fall for you. That's how it works. It's really fucked up.

I don't know why people bother with that shit. Perhaps it's important in these times not to show you care, but most people also don't want to care, and a man doing exactly that just flips most women on just like that. I've seen it so many times. Cutting the bullshit. No need for feelings. At all.

Serious relationships are almost not possible in this western culture because of exactly that - the "sexual liberation". Enjoy your fiddling.
>>
>>1281392
I just tried lesbian Tinder around Shinjuku and it fucking rules. I just swiped right on the attractive foreign and Japanese girls who had English in their bios. (I don't know any Japanese apart from oishi and kawaii). A lot of them just explicitly say why they're on Tinder. Usually even if their bio is vague you can derive if they want to hook-up or serious dating or friendships. I got 5 matches while being pretty picky and I'd say I'm pretty close to getting a date with one of the Japanese girls, I'm probably only going to hang out with the others if they remain interested. This was the result of 2 days of casual swiping. I should add that I've had positive experiences with straight Tinder and lesbian Tinder back in Europe too, though. If you're good with getting Tinderdates in your homecountry as a straight dude you should have no problem in urban areas in Japan as well. Especially given the fact that lesbians always have a harder time with their lovelife in conservative spots like Japan.

>>1281579
This
>>
>>1281757
>lesbian Tinder around Shinjuku
Guess I'll get the app when I'll be in Japan in september, if there's so much cute lesbians on it over there.
>>
>>1281786
My tip is to avoid the Japanese girls who have pictures with a cat filter or some other filter that makes them look more "beautiful" (it really doesn't). They're most likely as straight as you can get, so straight that they won't even experiment.
>>
>>1281787
Thanks gor the advice. No, no more straight girls, please, I just can't. Also planning to go to ni-choume and whatever Osaka could offer with lesbians bars.
>>
>>1281789
Maybe I'll see you in September then. I like ni-chome a lot, but got no experience with Osaka's gay scene.
>>
>>1281790
That'd be nice. I decided to go all out once I'll be in Japan; it can't be worse than my country, and I'll try to hit ni-chome at least once or twice since I stay 7 nights in Tokyo.
>>
going to stay in japan for 6 months.

what kind of adapter would I need to use my european PS4 in Japan?
>>
>>1281731
lmao holy shit this is the most white knight beta cuck shit I've ever read. Your Nice Guy impotent rage is tangibly oozing out from my monitor. You realize that there's more than one type of human being on the planet, and that applies to women, too, right? Some chicks just wanna get fucked. Cool, that's good for them, and I'm glad they've found what makes them happy. Other women want something different, like getting fucked and watching GoT, or getting fucked and having a weird vegan dinner while talking about geopolitcs, or having dinner and going to a museum, or literally ten thousand other things.

I've had tinder for a few months now, gotten a couple dozen awesome dates out of it, gotten laid when it felt right, and made more lasting, non-sexual relationships than that. I'm about averagely attractive (maybe less because I've got dad bod), but I put effort into my appearance and into the conversations I have, like >>1281579 said.
>>
>>1281724
Do you know what "shilling" means? What could he possibly be trying to shill with this post?
>>
>>1281913
you don't need an adaptor, you just need a different power cable. It's a standard figure 8 power cable that you can get from nearly any tech store. Just bring in your one and show the part that plugs into the PS4 to a store assistant while saying you need a new one.
>>
>>1279376
Which makes it all the more important to ask about how to access it. . . .

Anyone know of a good brothel that has hookers who fuck dogs?
>>
>>1282058
>Which makes it all the more important to ask about how to access it. . . .

Are you dumb? It's not because you can't find it, it's because the touts will literally not let you in because you are a gaijin.
>>
I have 4 weeks booked in japan from august 9, spending the first and last in Tokyo, how will obon week impact my first week, shop closures/city travel? Is august really unbearably hot? Last time I went it was may/June and everything was great
>>
>>1281365
>We built this land, and we don't need smelly disrespectful foreigners destroying it.

That's where you're wrong, Bucko. SCAP built your land and country after you threw it to the dogs of militant nationalism.
>>
>>1282069
You ignored the best part of his post
>>
is $4000-ish realistic for 21 days if i slept in the cheapest of cheap hostels and not eating out that much?
>>
>>1282146
not including airfare, sorry to double-post
>>
>>1282146
In what kind of world do you live where 4000$ for 21 days, without airfare, is too little for Japan?
You can easily go for that amount of time with 2000$, unless you plan to spend 1500/2000$ on the flight.
>>
>>1282146
that's plenty. tokyo is really not that expensive
>>
>>1282158
>>1282159
i'll take a prop plane if i have to, desu, the trip doesn't matter to me so long as I can arrive in one piece and not lose my luggage

But that's reassuring to hear, I've heard it can be expensive. I do plan on dropping some money on a train pass so i can check out the country and visit some temples, but i was worried about not having enough between lodging and eating out/seeing the sights
>>
>>1282146
I've managed around 1200 USD for 15 days, so that's plenty. It includes everyting except travelling. Bought a 2 week rail pass for about 600 USD as well.
>>
>>1282170
damn, that's not bad, what would you say was your biggest expense? what was your diet like?

I've heard there are some hostels that give you a discount/let you stay free if you do work/chores, is there any truth to that?
>>
File: 1421321721796.jpg (25KB, 610x407px) Image search: [Google]
1421321721796.jpg
25KB, 610x407px
Hey guys, I just found out At the Drive In is going to be in Japan when I'm there, I figure it would be cool to go to a concert while I'm there, especially one of my favorite bands. However I'm not sure about this Japanese ticket website, it's called eplus, I speak no Japanese of course, so I'm not sure if its okay to pay with an American credit card, or if i Get an e-ticket or something. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?
>>
>>1282144
*my post
>>
>>1282172
Most would be a night at Koyasan...all together probably the accomodation was the biggest. The more you stay in one place the cheaper it is, aka my 4 nights in tokyo was cheaper than a night at koyasan.
Foodwise: bought a triangle sandwitch and a coffee at the 711, and usually a rice ball or two for lunch, dinner usually something hot (ramens, udons, okonomiyaki, etc.) it was enough for me personally. Had soba at matsumoto (soba festival, yay) and sushi in kanazawa.
I don't know about doing chores for discount, I literally spent a night and moved every day to a new city (except kyoto and tokyo, 4 nights each).
>>
>>1282179
Is it a resale website? I had a horrible experience with Ticketcamp due to the language barrier, and got half-scammed two hundred bucks.
>>
I've been here for 5 monthes now.
This weekend i had 3 different girls back at my flat on 3 consecutive nights (all japanese).
1st girl: no stunner but pretty w nice body. super timid. i was pretty drunk and trying despite her unwillingness. eventually realize what i was doing, stopped, felt bad. woke up in the morning and she was gone.
2nd girl. 30 years old, divorced. pretty, a lil bit chubby but still sexy nonetheless. loves sex, make her cum several times, my best sex in japan yet.
3rd girl. really interesting, lovely, and attractive. watch a movie, i start making some moves. mfw this is going nowhere. she tells me she;s had bad experiences with bf in the past w sex. wont even let me kiss her (driving me crazy since this girl has a gorgeous body). she shares my bed for the night. driving me nuts since i can't fuck her. she's so sweet and innocent, tell her in the morning she shouldnt be with me & say goodbye.

i have a gf, who is sexy and pretty, but not the most interesting company and despite gorgeousness is shite in bed.

this has been my experience in japan 80% of the time. maybe im going to the wrong places but i find casual sex here is almost non existant. and if you do find a girl whose willing, chances are she's a virgin, or unbelievably shit in bed (theres a word for it here, akin to dead fish) [ie: does fuck all, just lays there].

alot of girls here are undeniably beautiful, but good sex it seems is hard to come by.

tldr: looking for good sex in japan (non prostitute) hook-up with an older girl.
>>
>>1282208
How you find those girls?
>>
>>1282211
one on tinder, and the other 2 at a bar.
if you have a bit of self confidence, are somewhat attractive, and know how to make girls laugh, it's bloody easy to sit and talk to a girl at a bar. you just take it from there really.

i think japan is one of the easiest places on the planet to meet girls. i watched a friend of mine last week (i say, friend, he's actually a bit of a twat) talk every single japanese girl passerby to come sit at our table. he wasnt attractive, japanese, and didnt have the machismo you think necessary, he just had balls and confidence. and it fucking worked. it works a million times better if you can speak japanese though.
>>
>>1282208
>>1282223
>i have a gf

Did you cheat or is it an open relationship? Or did you mean past tense?
>>
>>1281947
Sure. Congratulations. I don't know why or who I am white knighting, but sure. Impotent rage shit isn't my deal either, I guess. I have scored plenty of times but the feeling of how immensely worthless a show that has been going on is what I am left with. Every time - orgasm or not.

My point is: Good luck trying finding a cute, innocent girl you want to spend your life with and not only just t3h sex then.

What you think is cute is what I perhaps think is sexy. What I think is sweet and innocent is perhaps not what you find sweet and innocent.

Me just being a nice guy won't help shit. I already know that. What I think they tend to see in me first is the "I don't care about them" part. That's when they bash their hair around, or show off their ass afterwards. I just don't wanna play that game with every. fucking. one. on the fucking street.

I am, truly, just being bored off the face of this planet by the game/appearance shit going on.

I know me/they don't got anything in common other than the lust, but.. Just. How about no?

Fucking first is a-okay for you, I guess. But I don't believe that's the first steps towards a lifelong development of soul bonding between people who can love each other.

Good day.
>>
I'm planning on going to Japan and staying around the Tokyo area for maybe around a week.
I really don't travel much and when I checked the sticky I got a bit overwhelmed with the amount of information.
Anyone have recommendations on what to see and do?
I'm not interested in prostitution or sex.
>>
>>1282300
Oh, I should probably note that I'm quite proficient in reading Japanese.
>>
>>1282300
japan-guide.com
>>
Is two weeks too much to JUST do Tokyo? I'm looking up itineraries but everywhere I find one it's a two week entirety of Japan itinerary. The Tokyo ones are like 2 to 4 days. I want to do Tokyo Disney one and Disney Sea another day but even if I then take a whole day to explore Tokyo in each direction that's still barely a week. I'm going with about 2-2.5k so I wasn't really planning on getting a rail pass. I guess I can just kinda keep it lowkey and relaxed. Spend a couple days in each area of Tokyo and see the nightlife in each area as well. How much would it break the bank to take some of the longer trips outside of Tokyo? I'm going in August so I was thinking I could try climbing Mt. Fuji or something perhaps maybe find a legit tattoo-friendly onsen rather than having to settle for a sento.
>>
should I do march or april for a 3wk trip? the fares are cheap this far out, and I'd kill to see the cherry blossoms but i heard it can get even more crowded around then
>>
I want to climb Mt. Fuji when I go, any advice? I've seen conflicting information on how to dress, what to bring, when to go, whether it should be a 2 day or 1 day thing. Has anybody ITT done it before?
>>
Been making a basic list of things I want to check out just from looking around at sample stuff and other guides. It's rough and in some places it's just general "that area" but I was wondering if there's some more low key stuff that you guys know about or anything big that I've missed that's worth checking out.

Mt Fuji
Mt. Takao - Monkey Park
Takaragawa Onsen
Tokyo Disneyland
Tokyo Disney Sea
Nikko
Kawagoe (Little Edo)
Kawasaki (Anata no Warehouse)
Takasaki (Daruma)
Okutama (Full Day Hike)
Yokohama
Jogashima Island/Misaki Town
Nagatoro River Tour
Chiba City
Harajuku [Super Yosakai 8/26-27] -> Meiji Jingu -> Shibuya (Crossing/Hachiko)
Ginza -> Tsukiji Fish Market -> Hamarikyu Gardens (Sumidagawa River Tour) -> Tsukishima (Owl Cafe/Fukuro no Mise) -> Monjya Street (Monjayaki/Okonomiyaki) -> Imperial Palace
Akihabara (Rainbow Bridge->Odaiba [Big Gundam])
Asakusa (Kaminarimon Gate) [Samba Carnival 8/26]
Ueno (Tokyo National Museum/Ueno Park)
Shinjuku (Gov. Metro. Bldg./Samurai Museum/Gyoen Park/Golden Gai)
Tokyo Tower/Skytree
Roppongi (Mori Tower/Nightlife) [Roppongi Hills Bon Odori 8/25-27]
Tamagawa Fireworks Festival 8/19
Ohi Racecourse Flea Market (Weekends)
>>
>>1282418
Ueno is nice. I would set up base there. It is on the circle green train line that allows you to get around the city pretty quickly and is pretty quiet and chilled out. Some really good business hotels there with nice baths and super cheap.
>>
How to survive August/September weather? I come from a country with 30C summers on hotter days but humidity is like 30-50%
>>
>>1282069
Wrong. There are places for foreigners. Lurk more.
>>
>>1282433
duck into as many places with AC as possible. Don't over exert yourself and make liberal use of the plentiful beverage machines for cold ones and or convenience stores. Bring lots of extra t-shirts as well as you will sweat through them quick.
>>
>>1282446

Not sure if you're trolling or just dumb. He's not going to find any place that will let him watch a bestiality show. Nobody is debating the existence of the Yoshiwara soaps, THC, and Jan Jan.
>>
>>1282418
Definitely go to Kamakura. Chiba City is probably not worth it.
>>1282432
As someone who lives in Tokyo I can second this. Ueno is very comfy, central and nice. You won't feel sufficated like if you stayed in Shinjuku or Shibuya. Ueno has the park, all the museums and the zoo, plus a restaurant street.
>>
>>1282447
Purchasing from a vending machine is literally the most expensive purchase you can make for a drink outside of a hostess bar. There are so many conbinis that there really isn't a reason to use them and they should be avoided
>>
>>1282456
Ueno sucks at night though. Its much nicer to stay in a place with a night life so you aren't forced to stay out late or take a taxi back.
>>
im going to be living in tokyo for a year starting next month. anyone living there now willing to add me on LINE so i can ask random questions?
>>
>>1282432
>>1282456
>>1282495

Thanks for the advice. Already got myself booked in Toshima though. Not sure what the nightlife is like there but it doesn't seem too far from everything anyway. Will definitely check out Kamakura though. Would love any more recommendations of what to add or lesser known places.

Also don't know if anyone is familiar with it but I was considering the Tokyo Wide Pass since I'd be going up to Gunma for Takaragawa, Nikko as well as Fuji. But IIRC the pass is only for three days and I know hiking Fuji itself is already considered a two day experience.
>>
File: HZNJB6L[1].png (720KB, 1031x588px) Image search: [Google]
HZNJB6L[1].png
720KB, 1031x588px
>>1282502

Forgot pic of where I'm at
>>
>>1282391
I'll just throw it out there that I bought airfare like 2 months ago for the end of March and early April mostly because I want to see cherry blossoms.
If you want to see them, then go around that time, it's gonna be hard to get an opportunity to see the cherry blossoms in Japan without a lot of people. It's a popular thing.
>>
>>1282529
alright, I'll buy the tickets now while they're $900~

do you think the cost of hostels will go up significantly as well? hotels, sure, but i'll gladly stay at a hostel further from the center of tokyo if i can land 3000 a night
>>
>>1279376
My buddy just got home from the Marines, he is trying to convince us to take a trip to the places in Asia that he visited. Our group seems pretty interested in Tokyo Japan.

We are thinking of going in January because I'll be done my college degree in December. We are thinking January because it's a good amount of time to prepare and it will be a period of time before me and my Marine friend will have to find work. Plus my other two friends who have jobs gotta build pto's to go on the trip.

>How is Tokyo in January?
I> was thinking of saving up 2-3,000 USD to spend while on the trip, will that be sufficient for a week?
>Whats a good way to meet locals? We are planning to check out clubs and generally see as much as we can, but I'd like to interact with people there as well. Meeting girls would be a bonus.
>How do I not come off as a douche bag American? I wanna try being a good guest in their nation... when I am trying not to get a little affection lol
>umm, how do I get my weeb fantasies crushed?
>general tips from anyone?
>>
>>1282540
>How is Tokyo in January?
Japan is a place that actually has and is known for its seasons. So the typical depiction of that month in fiction is generally what you're gonna see in Japan.
>2-3000 USD for a week
More than enough
>Whats a good way to meet locals?
Honestly, knowing Japanese. There's not really a fetish for western guys that crosses the language barrier. And at least trying will make them happy. Foreigners love when people attempt to speak their language.
>How do I not come off as a douchebag American?
You won't be the only tourist but generally just look up how to behave, what to wear, etc. Take off your shoes when you're supposed to (please wear socks), bow, don't be loud on the rail or at dinner.
>>
>>1282544
Are things expensive in Japan?

I hear its very cheap and other times I hear its on par if not a little more expensive there.

I am thinking of shopping for mementos, food, entertainment, transportation, etc.
>>
>>1282549

It's not as expensive as all the rumors make it out to sound. If you're shopping in all the designer district or balling out in Akihabara on otaku shit then yeah it'll break the bank. There's a lot of gimmicky dining places and nightlife that can add up too. But if you're going to see Japan rather than be indulgent and a party boy it's totally doable on a budget. It's more of do you want to SEE Japan or do you want to be a tourist.
>>
>>1282549
What are you comparing?

Are you trying to mine cryptocurrency? Electricity is double the most expensive places in the US.

Are you trying to live in a busy interesting place. You can easily find a place in the middle of Shibuya on a moderate salary. But the place will be small.

Are you trying to eat large amounts of meat with every meal. You'll get fucked over, especially if you're eating out.

Are you willing to cook Japanese food like a Japanese person. It'll be as cheap as anywhere you've ever been.
>>
>>1282495
Fair point, though I suppose it really depends on what you're into.
>>
>>1279376
https://youtu.be/dnoi1GfwSzg
>>
I'm in Japan now, what should I do for my last 3 days here?

>in Tokyo
>visit every single sightseeing place
>tfw "it is not as everybody expects to be"
>>
File: 20160605-P6056648.jpg (132KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
20160605-P6056648.jpg
132KB, 680x383px
I moved here last year but I've got a full time job so I haven't really gotten out of Tokyo much.

Are there any cool non-Tokyo places you guys would recommend I could spend about a week going from one place to another?

I've already visited Kyoto, Osaka, and Kobe last year. And I go to Okinawa often. So maybe something less common, like Shirakawa, Kamishikimikumanoza (pic related) or some onsen? (Been to Hakone once a long time ago, but I guess it'd be ok revisiting if there's other places nearby)

Also, I speak nip, so that's not an issue.
>>
>>1282687
Hit up a happening bar if your Japanese is conversational
>>
I'm interested in joining the Yakuza. What are the steps to complete this process?
>>
>>1282695
You could go around that are with shirakawa. Enjoyed that area the most from japan. After arriving to japan my route was narita->matsumoto (landed in a soba festival next to the castle, that wasnt planned, but was interesting)->nagano(only a night)->Tateyama kurobe alpine route (in hindsight I shouldve stayed for another night at the top and climb to the top as there wasnt enough time if I wanted to reach kanazawa)->kanazawa(favourite city of all really)->takayama(couldnt be at the festival as everything was booked). This area is really my favourite of everything I've seen from Japan (been to kyoto, nara, koyasan, hiroshima, miyajima, himeji and tokyo as well). Couldn't cram in shirakawa-go, so thats another place around there to visit.
>>
Any big events going on in early November?
>>
is the Nebuta Matsuri worth checking out? Might head north for it.
>>
File: 20160701_171616.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160701_171616.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>1282405
I went in early July last year, not long after the mountain opened and right before Japan started its summer break. The mountain was far from empty but it wasn't a crowded line to the top like I've seen from other climbs later in the season. Dress very warm and in layers, it's freezing up at the top. Think ski clothes. Bring ample water, food, and a flashlight.

I climbed overnight and I didn't bother getting a hostel (they're like $70 for a foot of floor space.) I was at the top a bit before sunrise but clouds obscured my view so it was absolutely not worth it to have done it at night. If I'd have done the climb in the day then I'd at least have had a chance at some clear views on the way up. If I were to do it again (I wont) I'd start as early as the bus can get me from Kawaguchiko to the 5th station and I'd pause and rest at every station on the way.
>>
>>1282832

How long did it take you to get up? I was thinking of just climbing through the night as well. I want to get the Tokyo Wide pass and do a day at Fuji a day in Nikko and a day up around the Gunma onsen areas. Tokyo Wide is only a three day pass so if I took multiple days for Fuji it'd mess things up.

Also, do the stations stay open at night? I thought the whole getting your walking stick branded as you go up was a really neat idea but not sure if that kind of stuff would be offered late at night.
>>
>>1282832
I want to climb it, but don't want to carry around a ton of extra clothes for a single day. I would also want to do the climb as early as I can in the morning. How long did the climb take you?
>>
File: 20160702_044723.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160702_044723.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>1282834
Well I took my sweet ass time, I started at 3PM and got to the top around 2AM. I took a few naps and ample breaks in that time because I was intentionally trying to slow my ascent so that I'd get there as close to 4AM as possible. The climb doesn't take a ton of time, you just have to keep yourself aware of altitude sickness. I absolutely booked it on the climb down and it still took 2 hours though.

I don't know anything about the Tokyo Wide pass but to get there I stayed the night in Kawaguchiko in the Fuji 5 Lakes area. The bus from Tokyo to there is ~$26 and the bus from Kawaguchiko to 5th station is like $10.

The stations don't close at night but the attendants do sleep. When I was climbing I met a group of marines who were dead set on getting their sticks branded so they awoke an attendant at every station on their way up. The attendants didn't seem to mind too much.

>>1282845
Yeah I did the climb at the end of a 50 day trip through hotter climates. I'd brought a sweater with me the whole way exclusively to wear it on Fuji and it turned out to not be nearly warm enough, I should have left the sweater home and bought something actually sufficient in Tokyo.
>>
>>1282686
>>>/int/77861249
>>>/int/77861195
Again???
>>
>>1282686
>>1282989
>>>/ck/9250551
Found another one. Jesus Christ, man.
>>
Are there any love hotels with onsens? Is there any way to have sex in an onsen without getting deported?
>>
thinking i need a change of pace in life new place new people. whats it like finding emoloyment as a westener and living in japan, maybe a year or 2? i know little japanese but im not sure what career opportunities i could have or even if i could live well over there. any advice or stuff i should know?
>>
>>1283025

You either know nothing about sex or nothing about onsens because that would be awful.
>>
File: 1483375438837.gif (404KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
1483375438837.gif
404KB, 342x342px
>tfw your student visa is being processed
I am so fucking excited holy shit, any of you guys living in Nagoya?
>>
>>1283037
99.9% of people have two options.

1. Become very skilled in your field, find employment at a multinational company in your home country, work there for many years, and attempt to eventually get transferred to their office in japan.

2. Become an english teacher, a living meme with very low pay and no opportunities for advancement who is looked down upon by literally everybody, both in japan and in your home country.

I sincerely hate to crush your hopes this way. It sucks, but it's the truth.

But think about it. Why would anybody in Japan hire you over a native? It's extra paperwork, extra hassle, you aren't fluent in their language (even if you become "fluent," you'll never be at the level of a native speaker, and it just adds another layer of complexity), and you won't fit into their workplace culture as readily. Unless you are much, MUCH more qualified for the job than literally every other applicant, there's no reason to hire you over a native.
>>
>>1283065
>2. Become an english teacher, a living meme with very low pay and no opportunities for advancement who is looked down upon by literally everybody, both in japan and in your home country.

This is vastly over stated on here. Most Japanese don't look down on the profession of teachers at all. Students who have had long term teachers at for profit language schools may form a negative opinion over time due to turn over and lack of progress but it is in no way a wide reaching opinion. Nobody cares outside of the country besides others who have done the job that know its a dead end job. The biggest issue is that there is no room for advancement if you've done it for 5+ years and really the only people that know this are former English teachers. If you have a plan to get out of it (attending grad school after or attending a language school while teaching for instance), theres not much of a down side to doing it.
>>
File: I HATE SAND.jpg (235KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
I HATE SAND.jpg
235KB, 1280x720px
>>1283065
OK not that guy but what if you're planning on going into television so you you can eventually go into film.

Can I after an few years of experience at a TV station in a big city in my country go to Japan and got a TV job there? Surely they wouldn't mind a white guy behind the camera or doing production.

Also does Japan work with a lot of foreigners when it comes to film nowadays? I know that they did some stuff with Russia back in the day, but I've heard not hide nor hair about it, really.
>>
>>1283072
You would need to know very good Japanese.

It would be easier to get a job as a creative, such as an actor or model, rather than a camera operator or production assistant.

Japan loves foreigners for acting and modelling, both black and white people.
>>
File: _DSC1149_resize.jpg (3MB, 4200x2800px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC1149_resize.jpg
3MB, 4200x2800px
>>1281631
>34° and 71% Humidity
Luckily i got there in spring
>>
>>1283072
It's not that they MIND it. It's that it doesn't benefit them in any meaningful way and is more complicated than just hiring a native.

>>1283083 has it right.

>>1283070
Okay, I did overblow it a bit. It's not like, the WORST thing in the world. But it does have a pretty big downside in that it eats up a year of your life and gives you essentially nothing in return, professionally, socially, or financially. And if you're in your 20s (the only demographic I can really imagine would want to become a language teacher), losing that year is kind of a big deal. And anybody who has even a passing knowledge of the english-teaching-abroad industry (even other english teachers) or a vague familiarity with the concept of weeaboos WILL understand the position you're in and consider you somewhat of a loser.
>>
>>1282501

pls im a cool guy i promise
>>
>>1282208
do you speak Japanese? Are you doing street approaches?

I'm intrigued
>>
so how long could i "survive" in japan with a 10k euro budget. I wanna travel all around japan. Will 10k be enough for 3 months ?
>>
File: longhairWOW.gif (3MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
longhairWOW.gif
3MB, 800x600px
>>1283083
Good point. Where should I learn the moonrunes? Also, isnt there multiple japanese languages(Kanji, ect)?

Also, I was never one for being in front of the camera. Im rather quiet. I just dont have that... "presence", y'know.

>>1283103
Yeah, I suppose it is always easier to hire natives than some jackass on the other side of the planet, no matter the country.
>>
>>1283242
>Isn't there multiple Japanese language

Yes but it's not like Mandarin/Cantonese where you learn one off the other. You're going to have to know all three. Hiragana and Katakana you'll have to actually understand and the Kanji you're just going to have to pick up over time since it's basically pure memorization and mnemonics.
>>
File: 1498593045399.png (514KB, 572x421px) Image search: [Google]
1498593045399.png
514KB, 572x421px
>>1283246
So...

They speak three languages at once?

What.
>>
>>1283247

Essentially yes. Hiragana is the basics. Katakana is loan words. Kanji are simplified representations of ideas that make it easier to read and organize sentence. So you can have sentences containing all three: hiragana, katakana, and kanji, at once.
>>
>>1283250
So Hiragana is basically what they speak, Katakana being loanwords like SPONGEBOBBU and shit, whereas Kanji is sort of a written form?

Guess I gotta do some research about this. Is there any websites/apps/online course for learning this stuff?
>>
>>1283252

That's basically it but the written form will have hiragana and kanji mixed together. It makes it so that things look like actual sentences insteadofabunchoflettersjumbledtogetherwithoutspaceslikethis
>>
This is probably a question with an obvious answer. But if I were to say planning to visit both japan and hong kong while spending a longer time period in japan it would be much smarter to just book a back and forth flights to japan and while in japan just order a back and forth tickets to hong kong. Correct? Is the transition between countries smooth in that region of the world? What I mean by this is that is it a pain to get through customs?
>>
>>1283252
It's not three different languages. It's three different writing systems, of one language. Don't let that anon's retarded analogy discourage you. You can learn how to read hiragana and katakana in one week. Kanji will be your whole life
>>
>>1279525
Not him but wtf everyone vote autumn? Isn't mars-april during hanami the best time to visit?
>>
>>1283268
Hanami is amazing but its completely dependent on the weather. It can literally be any time from late march to early may. Even if you time it perfectly its like 2 weekends tops or only a couple days if it rains. Plus the weather is comparable but Spring is far more expensive than Autumn.

Plus Halloween in Tokyo is currently the greatest Halloween celebration in the world.
>>
I understand that climbing Mt Fuji in november is not an option.

Any alternative places to climb or hike during this time?
>>
>tfw I would check the Japan general every day and dream about moving to Weebland
>read some of the dumbest things I've ever seen, but also get some good advice
>now living in Japan
>tfw I made it
I've been frequenting this general for years, and now I have no reason to. I don't have friends, so you guys are kinda cool. Thanks for the laughs boys, I'm off to join the Yakuza.
>end personal blog
>>
>>1283252
Kanji - Used for most words (nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs). Most Kanji have multiple readings and meanings depending on context (which other Kanji they are compounded with) that you have to memorize. Sometimes, the reading will be given to you in the form of small hiragana above them (called furigana) if the reading is obscure or unlikely to be readily known by the reader.

Hiragana - Used primarily for grammatical purposes, like verb conjugations, conjunctions, prepositions, etc. For example, a verb will be written in Kanji and immediately followed by its conjugation in Hiragana.

Katakana - Mostly for foreign loanwords, onomatopoeia, and proper nouns with "foreign" names.
A normal sentence will have a mix of Kanji and Kana. You could technically write a sentence that *sounds* proper in only Hiragana, but it actually makes it harder to read since Japanese doesn't use spaces between words, soyoursentencewouldhavetobeslowlypickedapartbythereader. Kana only represent syllable sounds, and have no inherent meaning on their own without any context, just like a single letter doesn't mean anything on its own in English.

Kana can be learned in a day or two, just like a new alphabet. Kanji will take you years to be at a functional adult level, and there a many Kanji that even the average Japanese adult will not understand because they're so rarely used.
>>
>>1283260
For further specification how does it compare to say the customs in the united states?
>>
>>1283294
Bumping this anon, I would love to know some places where I could hike in Japan. Hotels with hot springs are optional, but beneficial.
>>
File: 4IGu68R8_mnnk[1].jpg (37KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
4IGu68R8_mnnk[1].jpg
37KB, 600x400px
>>1283294
>>1283311

Idk how they'd be in November but my itinerary here >>1282418 I found a couple places. Mt. Takao isn't too far from Tokyo and has a monkey park at the top and Okutama has full day hiking trails through the nature.
>>
>>1283307
Us customs is a disaster mostly because CBP is a shitshow. Smoothest transitions can be had as a white person in Asia.
>>
>>1283064
Live near Kuwana just across the border in Mie prefecture. Have fun it will be a blast. While Tokyo is more cosmopolitan, Osaka more gritty and fun, Kyoto more sophisticated I think Nagoya is a perfect place to land. Unfussy and down to earth.
>>
>>1279376
Is it true a lot of them speak english? Is it hard to get around not knowing how to speak the language?

I'd really like to go there someday, but i find it hard to picture it being tolerable if i dont remotely know the language, I'd consider at least making an attempt to trying to learn it but i know it would obviously be very hard, and i would probably still have trouble communicating with anyone
>>
>>1283364
yeah well a lot of stuff is hard, it's the difference between going to visit and see stuff vs really being immersed in the culture, it's up to you
>>
>>1283364
and no, getting around in city areas is easy, not so much in the boonies
>>
>>1283304
What do you do for work in Japan?

Also, would the Yakuza really take on a foreigner? I'd doubt it. They might use you as a drug mule or mole in non-asian countries tho maybe?
>>
Is there anything to do around Mt.Haruna besides sperg out about Initial D
>>
I'm looking at buying some baseball gear while in Tokyo. What are the better stores as far as range goes?
>>
>>1281059
You forgot pooping... foods gotta go somewhere right?
>>
not that other baseballfag but does anyone know if they sell "standing room only" tickets for sold out games at the tokyo dome? ? ?
>>
>>1279431
bump
>>
>>1283429
Baseball gear as in a NPB gear or for you to play baseball?
>>
>>1283472
To play, but wouldn't mind some NPB merch as souvenirs
>>
>>1279376
Hey guys, I've got a question. How do Japanese people feel about fitness, and what constitutes "muscular" or "large" to them?

Reason I ask is that I'm builtfat, and in my country I'm nothing special; you can find about 30 like me in any gym around the place. I'm also a mite under 6'2, which isn't that much taller than the average.

Recently there was a Japanese exchange student I met, and she apparently thought I was a minor giant. That being said, she was a pretty small girl, and I have no idea if that's a normal attitude.

Also, on a few /fit/ threads, I remember somebody saying that Japanese people didn't really lift all that much; is that true? How do they feel about Japanese nationals lifting, and does it differ from
how they feel about Westerners lifting? What kind of physical activity is considered normal or cool over there, if any?
>I'm really just interested in exercise culture in other places, since I found out not all countries have the same ideas that mine does about it, or the same ideas about what kind of body is normal
>>
File: 00[1].jpg (49KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
00[1].jpg
49KB, 640x425px
>>1283496
>How do they feel about Japanese nationals lifting
Truly, it's mostly reserved for gay fellas.

>What kind of physical activity is considered normal or cool over there, if any?
Running or biking, mostly. Maybe some team sports like soccer or rugby.

Also the left side of pic related is considered "gori macho" or "gorilla-sized macho".
>>
>>1283496

Japs have it backwards. Bishie twink fuccbois are what the girls look for whereas muscle and bodybuilding is typically see as homosexual.
>>
When I was visiting kanagawa, I bought a one day bus card ( I still have no idea how to use their bus normally ). Does card like that available in all city ?
>>
>>1283304
Good on you, bud. Sincerely. Please stick around the threads to offer advice to us lowly tourists. Congrats on living the dream!
>>
>>1283364
>Is it true a lot of them speak english?
Not at all. In major cities you'll be hard-pressed to find anybody who speaks any english outside of gaijin bars and information booths at major tourist attractions, and in the boonies english speakers are virtually nonexistent.

That said, the country is incredibly easy to navigate even with no shared language.

>>1283390
>taking it seriously
>>
Quick question, is there any direct Shinkansen from Tokyo Shinjuku to Osaka?

All I can see is that I need to go from Shinjuku to Tokyo Station or Shinagawa, and then take the bullet train to Osaka.
>>
>>1283496
6'2" and builtfat is gonna look like a fucking grizzly bear in japan. I'm considered scrawny back home and in japan I'm breddygud level.
>>
>>1281135
Toya-san and minou kouen are some good day trips.
>>
File: IMG_20170803_101112.jpg (35KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170803_101112.jpg
35KB, 540x540px
Planning a trip to Japan next summer. This'll be my first trip alone but I'm not exactly nervous however I do have some simple questions:

>How common is English spoken? I assume I'm safe in major cities like Tokyo, but I also wanted to see a lot of the countryside. Can I get by by learning basic phrases?

>I always hear about the cynicism and hatred Nips have for Foreigners. Is that very obviously felt when over there?

>How many days should I give to see Tokyo? It's the largest city in the world but I will only have around 7-10 days for the whole trip.
>>
>>1283569
English is not really necessary, you can easily get by with body language and some minor japanese. I had no problems getting my point across and I speak only the very basics. Just be able to say hi, thank stuff and say bye; unless you want to talk to people.
No trace of hatred throughout my trip (2 weeks, lots of cities and small towns). They just keep a certain distance that you might not be used to, thats about it.
I spent 4 days in tokyo, but it was too much for me. Others will say its not enough for anything, depends on you really what you like and look for.
>>
>>1282179
>Eplus is not going to work for you.
You need a Japanese address, Japanese phone number, and Japanese credit card if you choose that payment option. You also need to be able to write your information in Japanese and switch between kana character widths. It took me so many attempts to get my account and was so frustrating.

>Your alternative
You can ask a friend in Japan to get it for you. Or you can go to a convenience store and buy the ticket at one of their multi-purpose touch screen kiosks, but you'll need to know some Japanese. If your concert has an "L-code" go to Lawnsons convenience store. If it's eplus 7-11 and family mart should work too. Look up tutorials on youtube for more info on the machines to help you navigate. I think the machine will print a paper you take to the cashier where you can buy the ticket plus a small convenience fee. But if the show it sold out before you arrive you're screwed. You can sometimes buy tickets day of, but they cost a little more, they might be sold out, and you have to find the ticket booth at the venue to buy a ticket.
>>
>>1283594
Sorry, *Lawsons
>>
I plan to attend Wrestle Kingdom (Wrestling Show) in january in the Tokyo Dome. Does the staff helps you to find your seat/guides you over there?.

I dont speak japanese and english is my second language. (I can understand it perfectly)
>>
File: tumblr_n5tpchFrog1rfngx5o1_250.png (139KB, 250x272px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5tpchFrog1rfngx5o1_250.png
139KB, 250x272px
>125k JYP in cash for spending money.
>Pre-booked tickets for:
>Disneyland (2-day)
>Puroland
>Robot Cabaret
>Ueno Zoo
>Entire apartment in Tokyo for 7 days + the night we're leaving, so we can go straight to the airport.)

Right now I also have 7 days lined up for Kyoto at the beginning - But I'm wondering if I should knock that down to 4-5 and add those to Tokyo instead?
The only things we have planned in Kyoto are visiting at least one fancy restaurant, exploring the city and hiking to shrines. Might make a day trip to Nara. Does that really need 7 full days?

On the flipside, we have five full days planned in Tokyo already, and will want to do a lot of shopping on top of that, and there are day-trip hiking locations closer to Tokyo.
>>
>>1283606
Spent 3 days in Kyoto, more than enough imho.
>>
I'm planning to study in Japan, is 2000€ a month enough over there?
>>
>>1283606
I had 5 days in Kyoto and still left without getting to see stuff I had wanted to see.
>>
>>1283548
>>1283499
>>1283496
Lol I'm 6'4" 220lbs with tattoos all over my body and long blonde hair

This will be fun.
>>
File: 61539069_p0_master1200.jpg (83KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
61539069_p0_master1200.jpg
83KB, 800x600px
Hey m8s. I was thinking of staying in Tokyo for 3 weeks and I wanted to ask the people here who might have some experience a thing or two. I'll be on my own. I'm not worried about my safety, seeing as I'm male and it's fucking Japan, but I'm asking because I'd like to know if Tokyo solo travel is a fun experience. For a place to stay, I've got a few airbnb places scoped out that also lend you a portable wifi router for free, for around 35€~ a day. For travel inside Tokyo and food I've calculated about 20€~ a day. Anything I should definitely pack? What should I know before attempting this? If I want to meet likeminded travelers, where to go? I'd like to see all the obvious touristy shit, but apart from that I've got no idea what to do. Is 3 weeks still adequate or maybe too long? I'm planning on spending the whole 3 weeks in Tokyo. I'd like to see more of the country, but train costs and accomodation etc. would fuck with my budget.

All in all I'm looking at a 2k€~ vacation.
>>
>>1283606
>Pre-booked tickets for Disneyland

Is that recommended? I'm going for two weeks but haven't decided when I wanna hit Disney and Disney Sea so I was just gonna buy em when I got there
>>
So ill be in Osaka for 5 days, is Nara, Kyoto and Mount Koya doable within that timespan?
>>
>>1283601
there should be people to guide you there, even if their english is bad, most staff members will at least try to get you to your seat. There are also a lot of signs at the dome, so you have nothing to worry about. Also congrats anon, I hope you have a great time and I hope my boy Kenny finally overcome the odds.
>>
>>1283064
Damn, I remember when I applied for the semester abroad in Japan and it got accepted. Brings back the feels. Gonna be a damn good time for you. Have fun and don't study too much
>>
>>1283698
Thanks man! I appreciate the kind words.
>>
How often are yukata worn in the summertime by regular people? Planning on buying one during my trip in Harajuku and I know it's gonna be way more liberating and comfortable than any clothes I'm bringing. But I know it's not really something you just bust out and wear around all day.
>>
File: ken.jpg (55KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
ken.jpg
55KB, 600x800px
>>1283774
Go ahead buddy, liberate yourself.
>>
>>1283797

That's the plan. Hence my question.
>>
>>1283774
Usually just at festivals.
>>
>>1283687
Thanks dude, def rooting for Kenny.
>>
>>1279376
https://youtu.be/KFtgKAne_CA
>>
>>1283569
I spent nearly a month in tokyo and didn't scratch the surface. It is, like you said, the largest city in the world. You can hit most of the "major" attractions (a couple museums, akihabara, a couple temples, golden gai) within a few days if you rush yourself. If you only have 10 days for the trip, I'd say Tokyo could fill at least 3 or 4 of them, but have a detailed schedule so you can make the most of those.

1 or 2 people might give you surly looks, but the majority will either not care or be friendly. The stories of widespread hatred and public death glares mostly come from bros on a lad's holiday who yell on the streets and puke in traincars.

English is not as common as people might have you believe. Even in cities, it'll be fairly rare, and in the country even rarer. But you shouldn't worry too much, the whole country's easy to navigate with only basic japanese.

Good luck!
>>
>>1283460
>>1283460
>>1283460
pls rspond
>>
>>1283883

The only thing I worry is that I'll be starved for conversation
>>
>>1283883
Define... Basic Japanese.
>>
My plane ticket says I get two checked bags included, but All Nippon Airways website says economy only gets one. So which is it?
>>
What are some good gaijin bars in Osaka?
>>
>>1283895
>>1283895
I misspoke. I should have said "no japanese." If you've got literally ZERO skill (aside from hello, pardon me, and thank you, which you should always know), you'll still be able to communicate what you want via gesturing and get across simple questions like "how do I get here" by saying the place name, maybe pointing at a map, and looking confused. It might get a bit frustrating at times, but you'll never find yourself totally stranded and helpless. If you know basic phrases like "I'm looking for," "how much," "this one," or "where is the," etc you'll have an even easier time.

Now, >>1283894 has a legit point. If you're going solo and looking to make social connections at bars, hostels, etc. then conversational japanese could come in handy. Stuff like "My name is anon, I'm from here, I like this stuff, where are you from, what do you do?" and beyond. But even if you don't have that, you honestly probably won't go crazy. Just talk to people at home via text, fb messenger, snapchat, insta, etc. once a day at least. It can be a little wonky because of the time difference, but it'll still provide that social contact you need.
>>
>>1283931

Isn't Roppongi kinda foreigner central for nightlife too. Might facilitate some connections with other tourists and give you a bit of a break from things.
>>
What are some good cat cafes in Tokyo?
>>
>>1283911
International is always 2 bags
>>
>>1283894
>go to a cheap standing bar
>have Google translate app
>say hello
>>
Anyone know where to get tentacle hentai? I've been to a few melon books and haven't been able to find anything that looks like it would have legit tentacle penetration.
>>
>>1283968
Kirk pls go
>>
>>1283931
Gotcha. Thanks pal. I've been to Thailand and I got away with only learning 8 or 9 phrases. I was hoping Japan would be similar. Sounds like it'll be even easier.
>>
>>1283672
Going for 3 weeks as well.. Got the JR pass thing for unlimted JR train travel, so I will try to see as much of the country as possible
>>
>>1283963
Thanks, now I can fill them both with souvenirs.
>>
Where can I buy a nice knife? My dad loves to cook and I want to get him a good knife.
>>
I'm gonna go to Japan for about a month and I wonder how hard it'd be for me to go there without having made reservations at hostels/hotels/airbnbs beforehand. I know a couple of places I wanna visit but I don't wanna feel tied down.

Are all the hostels/hotels gonna be fully booked in late august/september?
>>
>>1284137
At the very least, book a place to stay for several nights in Tokyo for when you arrive. Hotels or hostels are preferred for this to avoid AirBnB cancellation issues. Book as needed for the rest of your lodging during your stay, but watch how quickly things are drying up on booking websites in the weeks leading up so you don't get stuck with no place to stay.
>>
Any places to go during new year's eve?. I will arrive in Tokyo on december 29th. I'm traveling solo.
>>
Anyone ever tried KFC in Japan?
How does it taste in comparison to American KFC?
>>
reading is HARD
>>
>>1284131
Kappabashi in Tokyo. It's all cookware shops and many knife specialists.
>>
>>1284160
have fun,most of the popular places are ridiculously crowded.during new years period you can buy fukubukuros
>>
>>1283241
>Will 10k be enough for 3 months ?
Yes. Though you can make your money run out a fair bit faster depending on where you eat/stay and so forth. But 10k can last 3 months fairly easily, you don't need to cut corners in everything either.
>>
>>1284281
This. I lived near there for a while, tons of options for kitchen supply. Also very convenient to Senso-Ji temple, so you could do those both in a day.
>>
File: bacon master.jpg (66KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
bacon master.jpg
66KB, 640x640px
Any good restaurants where they serve quality American food in Tokyo?
You know, big juicy burgers, fries, fried chicken, lots of bacon and cheddar, that kind of thing.
>>
>>1284328
>>1284281
Thanks I'll head there.
>>
Does anybody knka of a foreigner friendly brothel in Osaka that offers cosplay like HTC?
>>
File: 1480213153996.png (10KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
1480213153996.png
10KB, 284x284px
I'd like to go to Japan with my dad this Spring. My dad used to do business in Tokyo, but all he ever really did was see a few of the tourist sights because he was always there for work. He said Akihabara was cool in the 80s but now it's a lot of the same shit. So, he isn't thrilled about my choice but he is willing since I've always wanted to go and every time I'm in Asia I miss it.

Do you guys think if I plan it well he can see a side of Tokyo he'll enjoy?
He was interested in seeing something like Kioto, what do you guys think?
Reading this thread I mostly see budget travelers, but what are the best hotels in Tokyo now if you have a large budget? I see there is a Peninsula (my favorite in Hong and Mandarin, anything else I should consider?

One of my interests in Tokyo is I love subcultures: I'm not a weeb but I'd like to see the anime districts and the NEETs and people who have checked out of life I hear about on 4chan sometimes. What are the best areas to see that as a complete outsider (basically never watched anime)?

Also I love Japanese aesthetics. Is there some good places to see how the homes are built and Japanese architecture/design?

For things to do I read the sticky and will continue to lurk here since I have lots of time before going. Sorry for such a long post.
>>
New thread

>>1284613
>>1284613
>>
>>1281647
How the fuck do you guys spend so much?
Even with eating out everyday and buying all of my friends and family souvenirs I never went over 70 dollars per day.
>>
>>1284358
Authentics in Akasaka for burgers and Soul Food House in Azabu-Juban.
Thread posts: 352
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.