[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A friend of mine is conviced that New York City is the culutral

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: NYC.jpg (11KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
NYC.jpg
11KB, 318x159px
A friend of mine is conviced that New York City is the culutral capital of the world. I dont even know who determined that. Now he wants to pay a buttload of money to get there to experience all that diversity.

Only problem is he is from Europe and he was never been to Italy, France and other countries that in my opinion have way more history and culture to offer and would be much cheaper. What do you guys think?
>>
>>1269675
London is the #1 global city and cultural capital
>>
>>1269680
This I can believe. Its got a long history.
>>
>>1269675
So what? Americans go travel Europe seeking "culture" even though they've never explored most of their own country. The real question is why do you care? New York is a good place to visit regardless of where you are from or what you have seen.
>>
>>1269675
Cultural capital =/= city/country with more monuments/landmarks/history etc. Also keep in mind that we often consider more culturally high other countries customs simply because we're used to our own.

If your friend thinks of New York is the cultural capital of the world because it has good art museums, contemporary architecture and fancy shops he's probably dumb as a rock, since on this aspect everything is highly subjective. He can prefer NY, but not consider it objectively better than the rest of the world. On the other hand, if by "cultural" capital he means a place where culture gets "produced", where more "happenings" happen, he could have a point (while leaving out London, Berlin, Paris, Tokyo or many others is still dumb). If he's a painter that has the talent to break into an art scene he may very well go to NY, if he's just a rich kid that wants to feel like he's living a "cultural" lifestyle he's probably an idiot to begin with.
>>
>>1269687
That doesn't matter, it's a cultural capital because it has been enriched in recent years thanks to the influx of immigrants and a progressive mayor who injected new energy into the city, being Muslim instead of yet another white person.
>>1269698
>If your friend thinks of New York is the cultural capital of the world because it has good art museums, contemporary architecture and fancy shops he's probably dumb as a rock
This. It's the melting pot thing, the immigrants who make a city a cultural capital. Not the fucking museums lol.
>>
History is overrated. Sure it can be fun to look at a big rock or statue and say "boy, this rock is a thousand years old!". But the culture is more important and new york definitely has that.
>>
>>1269710
Again, it all depends on what's the lifestyle you (or OP's friend) want to live. There's a lot of cities that attract strangers and have a vibrant popular culture scene. If OP's friend's concept of cultural life is going to exibitions, dress fashionably, partecipating to poetry slams or smoke pot with his favourite local indie group after their gig (nothing wrong with all these things, mind me) there's no need to go as far as New York. If he's a painter/writer/actor that wants a city with a vibrant network of galleries/editors/theatres to try to make his way into then NY is surely a good choice.
>>
>>1269716
Yep. Museums show the history of white people. Culture is about diversity and is chiefly produced by minorities (and women).
>>
File: 1488953801253.jpg (86KB, 550x756px) Image search: [Google]
1488953801253.jpg
86KB, 550x756px
>>1269710
>melting pot
>is simply just overrun with muslims.

I hate you faggot Americans with your Jansport backpacks who see kebab shops as a sign of culture. Just because a city is infested with muslims does not make it a "beautiful melting pot",

It just makes it an islamic welfare state.

T. Londoner
>>
>>1270423
We don't like it any better than you do.
>>
File: 1454467662879.png (56KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
1454467662879.png
56KB, 1000x500px
>>1270423
>>
lel what the fuck

Tell him to go to Hong Kong instead. Hong Kong is literally known as the "World City."
>>
NYC is literally the capital of the universe. You're just a dumb faggot yuro who has never experienced the greatest metropolis that has ever existed.
>>
>>1270423
>thinking NYC is overrun with muslims
>living in London

lol
>>
File: 1499305344431.png (10KB, 254x199px) Image search: [Google]
1499305344431.png
10KB, 254x199px
>>1270449
>still no quick way to get to queens from brooklyn
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.