[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 29

File: Picture-5.jpg (793KB, 1000x663px) Image search: [Google]
Picture-5.jpg
793KB, 1000x663px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese.
What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1266133
>>
So i've been exploring the second hand marketplace for clothes but i'm looking for a couple of specific things when i go in october.

Firstly, anybody know of neighborhoods with a good used videogame selection? Looking for old consoles and the like but would like to avoid Akiba tourist traps as much as possible.

Also interested in Denim.
>>
Hey guys. I just arrived at Narita. I'm currently using T-Mobile international roaming and it's decent so far. Just wanted to give my input since there are a few people in these threads that ask about T-Mobile international data
>>
>>1268908
>but would like to avoid Akiba tourist traps as much as possible.

what makes you think Akiba is a tourist trap? Just because there are a lot of tourists there? It's primarily geared towards Japanese Otaku, not tourists
>>
>>1268915

Mostly just parroting, i suppose. It's defined as a tourist trap by a lot of people so i guess that's why i call it that. I guess i'm still looking in the Akiba area but for more stores akin to super potato.
>>
Will I have any trouble bringing NHS prescribed ADHD medication into Japan?
>>
>>1268902
Would someone in the thread that can write Japanese please do a quick google to see if there is any show in Tokyo next week with Dinosaurs? I can only find English articles that are outdated and lack information.
>>
>>1268924
They will throw you in jail if they find you with any stimulant medication. They also probably won't check your luggage, but that's a decision for you to make.
>>
>>1268936
Even if it's something that's non-addictive, has no high or anything of the sort, and is prescribed by government doctors to primary school children?
>>
>>1268908
You'd likely have a better chance of finding old consoles at Nakano Broadway than Akiba, but Akiba still has a lot of stuff. I'd only call it a tourist trap if you're only going there for "lol japan so wacky and randum XD". If you're a weeb and know what you're looking for, Akiba's pretty likely to have it. It will be crowded though.
>>
>>1268938
What ADHD medication do you have that fits the non addictive category?
>>
I going to japan for my first time. Hoping to spend 3 weeks there. My plan is to visit Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. Does anyone have experience visiting these 3 places on a single journey? Thinking midnight bus to get from kyoto to osaka. Or is there worthwhile places that is worth seeing between Kyoto to Tokyo?
>>
>>1268962
concerta xl
>>
>>1268973

You're going to have to do some research. You need to submit a Yakkan Shoumei if you want to bring your methylphenidate prescription.
>>
>>1268988
a quick google about that suggests I don't need a yakkan shoumei to bring in methylphenidate if it's less than a month's supply, does that sound right?
>>
A while back I started a thread with questions about my upcoming trip to Japan, when I hadn't book anything.

My flights (booked together) are:
08. July:
Düsseldorf - Frankfurt 11:40 - 12:30
Frankfurt - Nagoya 13:40 - 08:20 Uhr +1
09. July:
Nagoya - Sapporo 09:50 - 11:35
14. July:
Sapporo - Tokyo (Haneda) 13:30 - 15:05
21. July:
Tokyo (Narita) - Düsseldorf 11:00 - 16:00

My first stay is in Sapporo
Check-In 9. July
Check-Out 14. July

My second stay is in Tokyo
Check-In 14. July
Check-Out 21. July

This is my first trip alone and to another continent. I hope I don't fuck up anything. I already exchanged 60000 JPY in case my Credit Card (Visa) doesn't work. Another fear I have is, that I might miss the flight from Nagoya to Sapporo.
>>
>>1269091
Just a heads up, you can't buy most things in japan with a credit card, its highly cash based. Even train tickets are all cash unless you pay for the fancy express lines.
>>
File: 1486048462225.jpg (17KB, 313x286px) Image search: [Google]
1486048462225.jpg
17KB, 313x286px
So I just bought a round ticket to Japan, and am pretty fucking excited. I'm gonna stay there for about 3 months, but I have some questions that are currently bogging my mind.

I've never traveled abroad. Once I get off the plane, what is the customs official gonna ask me?
Specifically, do I have to show him my bank account to prove I can support myself while in Japan?
This scares me a little, because I plan on staying in hostels and couchsurfing, and spend as little as possible. My parents may give me money while I'm there if things get rough. But I'm nervous that if the official doens't think I have enough money for my stay he might send me back. So, do they ask for evidence of economic supportor not?
>>
>>1269157

Pretty sure if you have a return ticket they don't give a shit. Shit, I didn't and they didn't seem to care.
>>
>>1269159
you went there on a one way ticket? did they ask you for proof of onward travel?
>>
File: 1494299832211.jpg (124KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1494299832211.jpg
124KB, 400x300px
>>1269157
>never been abroad before
>lets go to random country that i've seen in anime for 3 months
ok buddy, this is why everyone hates weeaboos, I stayed in Japan for 2 weeks and I was ready to get the fuck outta there, Japan is not like people say it is, atleast test the waters before going for that long of a time
>>
>>1269161
Not him but I've been to Japan without a return ticket and they didn't care.

>>1269157
I don't think they're even allowed to ask that, assumin your country gives you visa free entry for 90 days. No fucking idea what you're going to do for 90 days though. Have fun
>>
>>1269165
I agree with this guy, as I said I have no idea what you're going to do for 90 days, maybe spend more money and go to other parts of Asia?
>>
>>1269171
>>1269170
>>1269165
I'm not a weeaboo in the slightest, I'm just interested in the country and it's culture. I speak intermediate Japanese and want to get to know their land as thoroughly and fun as I can.

And I thought almost every country got super histerical about foreigners traveling with a one way ticket, it surprises me that the Japanese of all people don't seem to give a shit.
>>
>>1269170

Of course they're allowed to ask. Why shouldn't they be able to?

>>1269180
>almost every country got super histerical about foreigners traveling with a one way ticket

Depends where you're from (i.e., what passport you carry). If you're from a first world country (or close to it) it's generally OK as they won't suspect you of planning to become an illegal immigrant. If you're from a third-world shithole it's a different story -- you may very well then be asked to show proof of onward travel and/or the ability to support yourself while in Japan.

>>the Japanese of all people don't seem to give a shit.

They very much give a shit. Again, it depends where you're from. If you want better advice, better answer this question.
>>
>>1269165
He can just fuck off and explore other parts of asia if he gets bored and doesn't wanna stay the full 3 months, christ why does nobody on this board have an ounce of common fucking sense...
>>
>>1269184
not that guy, but I'm from Mexico and haven't been asked for POT the few times I've gone to Europe. Never been to Nippon, tho, but I'm saving up for it. Will I be asked for a bank account balance or something?
>>
any way me and my 3 mates (17-18) can visit a bunkasai, i've googled for 10 mins and couldn't find shit. cheers cunts
>>
>>1269225

Mexico is included in the visa waiver program, so probably no. If worse comes to worse, as long as you can show them some cash plus a credit or debit card you'll be fine.
>>
Wrapping up my trip shortly. Best experience among the locals was hands down stumbling into a karaoke bar in shinsekai.

One guy wanted to practice his English and between our shared knowledge everyone was able to communicate. We drank and sang with them then wandered around together. Aside from one of the dudes reaching for my buddy's junk at one point, it was excellent all around.

In Hiroshima one dude wanted a photo with us. Kek
>>
3 more weeks to go yay

I'll have an afternoon/evening in Kobe and want to try the highly memed Kobe beef. Any place you would recommend (travelling alone so somewhere where I can sit and eat alone without seeming like a weirdo pls)
>>
File: 1498631561120.png (124KB, 750x780px) Image search: [Google]
1498631561120.png
124KB, 750x780px
>>1269225

Fellow Metzikan here, I'm off to Tokyo in 4 weeks; how friendly are the Japs to us not-entirely-white folk?
>>
>>1268909
I was just going to go with one of the Japanese data sims you can get from Narita.

How does T-Mobile international compare? I don't already have a T-Mobile sim, I'm on Giffgaff (O2) so I was wondering whether if it was worth it or I should just go with bMobile or Sakura.
>>
Does anybody have experience staying in manga cafes for sleep? I'm trying to be frugal and want to know how availiable they are. They're usually not full right so I don't need to book in advance?
>>
>>1269107
what? i just bough my suica card at a vending machine yesterday using my credit card
>>
>>1269270
unless you travel during silver or golden week no. Their not really comforable though and usually only have a chair for sleeping. I'd recommend a capsule hotel/hostel instead or maybe Karaoke
>>
File: smartphone softbank.jpg (121KB, 960x300px) Image search: [Google]
smartphone softbank.jpg
121KB, 960x300px
I don't have a smartphone, but I feel it might be extremely useful in my trip.
I mostly need to check hyperdia, googlemap and have an access to my mails.

I may also bring a memory card so I can use it to take pictures.

Is it a good idea to rent one since there is a simcard in the offer. I don't want to buy one for myself, and I don't really have the time before the trip anyway.
>>
>>1269274
I see. I was planning to alternate between hostel and manga cafes. I'll guess I'll go full hostel.
Do you recommend renting bikes. Should I just go subway/buses to get around or does anybody recommend cycling in cities?
>>
Haneda Karaoke tonight. Anyone want to join?
>>
Should I worry about getting yen before I go, or can I just stick my card (mastercard debit) in an ATM in Japan and get money out at a reasonable exchange rate without a fee?
>>
>>1269273
That was a weird machine, then.

>>1269274
Capsule hotels are not actually a cheap option. The tend to be about double the price of a shitty hostel. (Their primary demographic is drunk salarymen who missed the last train and need somewhere clean and private to crash, not cheapos who can't afford a full room.)

>>1269282
Don't be so easily discouraged. Try staying in a cafe for a night, and if it's awful, go back to your hostel. Also different ones have different options, so there might be some that are more cozy than others.
>>
>>1269413
depends on the area and season, I sometimes found capsule hotels to be cheaper than a hostel dorm bed
>>
>>1269270
I stayed in one, you only rent the things for hours and not days so if you want a place to keep your shit you'll have to pay for a locker on top of it. Aside from that it wasn't comfy (rubber room with rubber pillows) and it was a bit bright because people still needed to be able to read manga. You'd be better off with hostels for sure.
>>
If I'm already here, and want a Japan rail pass, do you think I could just buy it and get a friend to send it to me? Do they actually check your travel plans?
>>
>>1269409
I would get a small amount just in case. Ask your bank or cc company if they have international ATM fees. Also call them and let them know you're gonna be using it in Japan so they don't freeze your account or something
>>
>>1269409
You could always open a Charles Schwab checking account to pull out your money while you're over there. Free account with no foreign transaction fees on the debit card, they don't charge for out of network ATMs, and any ATM fees charged by the ATM owner are refunded at the end of each month.
>>
File: 1492878891958.jpg (1MB, 1980x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1492878891958.jpg
1MB, 1980x1080px
Hey guys, about to leave for Japan for 19 days, and just wondering if anyone has any tips about gyms in Japan?
Is it going to be difficult and expensive for me to find a nice gym to train in for an hour or two during my stay?
I am planning to ride the Shimanami Kaido while I am over there to keep myself fit, and climb Mt. Fuji too. But it would also be nice to pop into a gym and maintain my muscle mass while I am visiting. Any advice please, /trv/? Or any suggestions about other activities I can do while I am over there to keep fit and active?
>>
>>1269568

How much muscle mass do you honestly think you'll lose in 19 days? I'll give you a hint, it's fuck all.
>>
>>1269571

my wording was poorly chosen, I simply enjoy training and would like to keep myself in fine form for when I return so as not to lose too much progress. also I don't want to be gaining too much fat, either.
>>
>>1269578

Well, you can go running and do bodyweight exercises obviously and they have a lot of free outdoor playgrounds with gymnastics stuff like pullup bars and rings. You should be fine with that. I'm not much of gym guy myself, but from what I've heard, the gyms in Japan are pretty shitty especially when it comes to weightliftung and I'm also not sure whether you can just walk in.
>>
>>1269571
That's what I say every time the 19 days expire.
>>
Do you guys know any major city to enjoy the underground music scene there?
>>
File: 1493228946151.jpg (40KB, 491x694px) Image search: [Google]
1493228946151.jpg
40KB, 491x694px
>>1269259
Also interested in this. Mexican here but have the almond eye, and get confused for Filipino all the time. From what i've read that may be worse.
>>
How do I get a yakuza bf? Asking for a friend.
>>
File: 1499156213621216351629.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1499156213621216351629.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
At the Tokyo Dome ready to watch some. Pretty good atmosphere so far.
>>
File: spicy.gif (2MB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
spicy.gif
2MB, 540x540px
Any recommendations for language schools?
I have a few I'm looking at but I'd like to get some other opinions.
>>
>>1269598

Be a worthless whore with low moral value.
>>
>>1269604
how's the weather in japan right now? i'm gonna be there in a week and was wondering how bad itll be to walk around
>>
Arriving in Tokyo on friday night, staying in a hostel in Shinagawa..What cool shit will be going on? After all it's friday night, any club recommendations ?
>>
Didn't realize it was July 4th here and presented my JR pass at a regular jr station. It expired July 3, clerk told me it expired, I apologized and asked him for how much the fare was, which was only 170 yen.

He never looked at my passport or anything but he did keep the pass. I hadn't entered the station, so I didn't get to actually use it, but I'm still nervous about the possibility of being charged a lot of money for the trips I took while it was valid.

Given the circumstances I just described and me being a foreigner (like all Jr pass users) would you say that the situation is likely going to be fine or that I should expect to be charged a penalty?
>>
>>1269624
I would rather call you a fucking autist
>>
>>1269624
christ, why is it always the most autistic beta fags that travel to Japan

rhetorical question I know the answer
>>
>>1269606
Depands what you want to focus on. I chose Akamonkai in Tokyo.
>>
>>1268902
what's the cheapest (not shitty) place to live in japan
>>
>>1269639
America
>>
Do you need to have a return ticket ready when you enter japan?
>>
>>1269645
Specifically do you need a return ticket if you are a EU citizen.
>>
How do I order a long black in Japan? I'm going to be needing to do this about twice a day while I travel the country. Also, is it similar to the system I am used to where bigger size = more caffeine (multiple shots of espresso) or ???
>>
>>1269653
just go to Roppongi
>>
>>1269654

Fucking lol
>>
File: laughing shiba.jpg (62KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
laughing shiba.jpg
62KB, 640x640px
>>1269654
holy fuck
>>
>>1268908
>Firstly, anybody know of neighborhoods with a good used videogame selection? Looking for old consoles and the like but would like to avoid Akiba

what the fuck am I reading
>>
>>1269228

if you find one that's on, just go to it? it won't be like your animes though, and you'll be stared at like crazy (not a bad thing but you'll be exotic af at a local high school festival) they are little school events they aren't posted up online as tourist destinations, they'll be in the local paper or something
>>
>>1269228

Why do you want to ruin these peoples little school festivals with your obnoxious asses? Fuck outta here
>>
>>1269228
https://www.gakufes.com/
>>
>>1269618
Today was cloudy with some rain, its been humid as fuck the past few days, tho.
>>
>>1269635
What is the answer?
>>
>>1269678

You already got it.
>>
i'm currently weighing up mobile data options.
Will I be able to get by in major cities by just using free WiFi (in cafes, stations etc)? Only need to get directions off google maps every now and then and find nearby places to eat etc.
>>
>>1269668
that website is perfect thanks a hundred mate
>>
>>1269686

Last time when I was in Japan, I didn't have much problem when just using free Wi-Fi but I suggest that you download some offline maps or getting a physical maps for navigation..
>>
>>1269690
How vast is the coverage in Japan?
>>
>>1269686
every starbucks has free wifi and they're fucking everywhere in the city
>>
>>1269693

I was only in Tokyo, I use mostly free Wi-Fi in my hotel some area that offer free Wi-Fi like train station and coffee shop.
>>
>>1269686
personally I found the free WiFi coverage to be pretty bad. I'd recommend a pocket wifi
>>
>>1269686
I had issues with free wifi. Tokyo has poor coverage, meaning I would have to find a department store or be at a train station (or starbucks/other coffee shop) to actually connect. Once I connected, my browser (chrome) refused to let me do anything on the network because it was unsecured, and wouldn't let me accept and go online anyways like it usually did at home. My second trip, I just rented a portable WiFi device and had no issues.
>>
Why does every (((travel guide))) shill Tsukiji so much? Do I have to go if I don't give a fuck about fish or sushi? They make it seem like a mandatory place to visit.
>>
>>1268902
Hey guys, I'm going in August and I got a question:
Is it true that japanese people don't like talking to streangers?
Me and a friend rented an airbnb in Shimo-Kitazawa because we thought it would be a nice way to talk to locals (the University is not far, so young people who are probably good at english)
Is it realistic to meet new friends this way?

Also what to do in Kitazawa especially?
>>
what are the most popular places for a westerner to find a jap to fuck?
>>
>>1268909
Thanks for posting this! That's probably what I'm going to be using. I'm going to be there for school for five months, so I was hoping I would be able to use my own phone and service provider.
>>
Going to Japan for a little over 3 weeks, leaving at the end of the month. I'll be in and around Tokyo most of the time, but I need to go to Nagoya for a few days during my second week. What's the best bet for accommodations these days? AirBnB or something?
>>
>>1269763
No you don't, however for anyone else I would say it is worth it. The hole in the wall places alone make it worth eating at least once.
>>
>>1269784
A bar or club, roppongi hills is the most common. I would say outside of those establishments people don't really seek out foreigners so much.
>>
>>1269838
IMO opinion I prefer the hotels catering to business travelers. Nagoya has a more internationally oriented hotel industry simply because of the automotive/ aerospace and heavy industries present. Heck half the foreigners in Nagoya fly in straight from Detroit.
>>
>>1269765
>so young people who are probably good at english
If you japanese young people who can speak english, try the forex students at an american university. Upper education won't be a guarantee for lingustics
>>
>>1269281
NO NO NO!
me and my friend did this the first time in Japan from Softbank. There was a huge deposit in the fine print, you basically buy the phone and rent it at the same time. I don't know your budget but you might not want to drop $500 on a deposit in the middle of your vacation.
Just buy a fucking smartphone already and rent a SIM or wifi dongle
>>
>>1269648
No, but you need to specify a return date when you enter, a date within the 3 month Visa free period. But I doubt you need the actual ticket.
But it's a lot more expensive with two one way tickets so why wouldn't you?
>>
>>1269847
how viable is tinder there?
>>
>>1269866

Not very.
>>
Hey,
I'll be arriving in Japan (Shibuya Airport) the day after tomorrow, and I have 2 days after that before my homestay begins, but I have no fucking idea about what should (could?) I do in the meantime
Also, what's the best option for staying in for the night in a relatively comfortable setup? I have cash but I am fucking trash when it comes to actually speaking in japanese, but if anything, I'd like to avoid the tourists.
>>
>>1269932

You are a tourist.
>>
Anyone been the New York bar in Park Hyatt? It's the one from Lost in Translation.
>>
>>1269950
Do you have a real question?
>>
>>1269866

I got laid in Osaka thanks to Tinder, bit awkward with the language barrier but still...
>>
>>1269955
I was wondering how busy it usually was and what's the best time to turn up to get a seat by a window, I was planning to go on my own for a couple drinks and just stare outside.
>>
>>1269265
d/a, but I travel with someone who uses T-mobile international and it worked pretty well in Tokyo, Kanagawa and bits of Hokkaido, but it was slow as fuck. I had bmobile and let him tether a couple times when he needed to do something other than just messaging.
>>
I'm going for the first time for a week in October by myself. Any other solo travelers have any Japan horror stories? I already know to stay away from the Nigerians in Roppongi
>>
>>1269845
>hole in the wall

I read that all the restaurants near Tsukiji have lines out the ass daily.
>>
>>1269972

Not really. Japans pretty dull in that regard, it's incredibly safe and people mind their business.
>>
Just arrived, we're staying in Ueno (just next to uguisudani station), can anyone recommend a nice place to get lunch/dinner nearby?
>>
>>1269998
Also, where should we go to get adapters/pay as you go SIM?
>>
>>1269972
The Nigerians are much worse in kabukicho. That said they aren't even bad at all, you just have to tell them no and keep walking. It's not like they physically force you into their clubs or anything, I would say I don't understand why this board is so afraid of them but some of the stupid shit I've seen posted in this general makes me not question any of the things you people do.
>>
>>1269998

Can't help you with that, but google maps has the explore tab that shows restaurants nearby with reviews. Unfortunately they're 90% written by nips who give 3 stars and the translation is so ambiguous as to whether they actually liked it or not.

>>1270019

Don't know how the locals tolerate them.
>>
>>1269157
Hey. I'll be in Japan for 3 months as well. Just wondering have you already decide where you going to stay? Like hostel/airbnb from places to places or rent an apartment for 3 months?
>>
Finally got my itinerary mostly together, wanted to share and look for some things I shouldn't miss. It's a bit rushed but I think that's doable:
29. July: Arrive in Tokyo, spend night near the airport

30. July: Move near Shinjuku, do some shopping and preparation

31. July: Get up early in the morning to catch a train at 5-6 AM to Okayama. Gonna be only using local trains so the trip is going to take around 12 hours in total. Depending on time/motivation, see something in Okayama.

1. August: Take the train+ferry to Naoshima and explore the island (+overnight stay)

2. August: Move to Takamatsu, buy Shikoku rail pass, spend day in Kotohira and move to Matsuyama in the evening (check out Dogo Onsen)

3. August Day trip to either Ozu or Uchiko and see Matsuyama castle

5-7. August: Kochi. Not sure what I want to do here exactly but the town seems cool

7-9. August: Iya Valley. Want to do some hiking and exploring here.

9. August: Make my way back towards Tokyo, staying overnight in Kobe

10. August: ??? not sure if I should go straight to Tokyo or possibly stay somewhere near Shizuoka or so for another night. I would like to see some tea fields with a Fuji backdrop but not sure if August is the right time for this.

11-17. August: Tokyo

As I wrote this down, I noticed I have one additionally day in Shikoku I didn't account for. Any recommendations on where I could add it?

Thanks!
>>
>>1269639
You might want to be sitting down for this news.

Cheap places to live are shitty places to live, bud.
>>
>>1269882
Could you elaborate? Is it just that people there don't use tinder, or is it more a problem with cultural differences in relationship expectations, poor communication, etc.?
>>
>>1270069

Both I guess. People don't really use it, and when they do, they seem to miss the point.

There's sluts, no doubt, so why not give it a shot. Just not the range of sluts lime back home.
>>
>>1269595
Bumping for this
>>
What do you think about Asaka, Saitama? Is it a good spot to get to central Tokyo at any hour?
>>
>>1270046
I'm covering some similar ground, not quite overlapping with your dates.

Suggestions for Shikoku (will have car, have a night booked in Tokushima), and northern Hyogo (Travelling w/ rail pass - staying Kinosaki)
>>
In Tokyo subways, can you get on the train with your bike (if it's not too crowded I guess)?
>>
>>1270046
I doing my first trip to japan in a week.
I wanted to do a lot of shit including going to Shikoku but in the end I had to scrap that part.
Iya Valley was part of the plan but back then I read that it's kinda annoying to access without a car. I hope you looked into that.

I wishto give the proper time for Shikoku another time since there seem to be plenty of comfy towns all over it.
>>
Hi. This is my first time posting in /trv/. In a month I'll be leaving for Tokyo to study a semester abroad. I'm pretty much ready, the only thing I have left to do is pack.

But there is just one thing I'm left to wonder about: I read earlier in this thread that Tinder isn't extremely useful for hook-ups. I should also mention that I am a lesbian. What are my options for dating foreign/Japanese girls? Should I still try Tinder or are there any other dating app options that are foreigner-friendly? Other than datingapps, what is customary for meeting other lgbt people? Other than the gay nightlife scene, I mean.

Also, is the average Japanese person OK with a gay foreigner?
>>
>>1270100

Faggots don't get a whole lot of respect in Japan. Pretty rare to find some 'out n proud' types I'd imagine.
>>
>>1270105
Yeah, that's what I am thinking. Still looking for dating tips (digitally or irl) from my fellow homos if they post here. It shouldn't be that hard, I hope. I have no trouble landing a date here where I live, just need to be able to adapt.
>>
>>1269747
You just have to keep refreshing, eventually the network will be accepted and will ask you to accept terms.

It's fine.
>>
>>1270114
Hard refreshed a shit ton, only a handful of networks would eventually work and speed was always dogshit on them. Mapping things out while outside my hotel was an exercise in frustration on public wifi.
>>
>>1268908
>anybody know of neighborhoods with a good used videogame selection

H A R D O F F
A
R
D
O
F
F

Just try any place that has a Hard Off nearby.
There are shops called "Book-off" everywhere in Japan that have a decent /vr/ selection, but the best /vr/ related things are in the Hard-Offs, specially in the "Junk" corner. You will find stuff they mark as "broken" but usually it isn't or is easily repairable as far as /vr/ stuff goes, and it is cheap as fuck. They have bins full of games there but it's mostly crappy sports titles and RPGs, which might only be interesting if you can speak fluent Japanese. They do have "working" stuff (consoles and games) elsewhere in the store but most of the stores know their prices, even though it's still much, much cheaper than in Akiba.
>>
File: titsorgtfo.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
titsorgtfo.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
>>1270100
>>
>flight paid for
>hostels pretty much all paid for (minus the last week, but )
>JR pass paid for
>got around 80,000-75,000 Yen per week planned out
>friend telling me that won't be enough get by on

Is he just retarded? I'm having a hard time thinking how you go blowing 11,000 yen per day unless you taxi everywhere eat at all the american style places that are overprice, then go drinking every night. I'm going over everwhere I want to go and not seeing how I would be spending over 6,000 yen a day.
>>
>>1270165
Yes he's retarded.
>>
>>1270168
Thanks, figured as much heard anons do a month on 1000.

Also anyone be in japan during a Typhoon? Expierenced them a bunch on the east coast, never really was that big of a deal except how the news/weather stations made a fuss of it.
>>
>>1270165
Food and shopping. I could have easily spent an extra $100/day but we were travelling too much and having even a small carryon luggage was already a pain.

Still ended up averaging 10000 yen a day.
>>
>>1270100
>>1270110
If my yuri manga is correct you should go to coffee cafes and talk to the barista.
>>
>>1270100
>Also, is the average Japanese person OK with a gay foreigner?
If you're studying at an international uni, you probably won't be interacting with anyone super traditional. I'd say most people won't care unless you try and make it their business, and in that case they'd be judging you more for broadcasting personal stuff than for being gay.

>>1270217
>Also anyone be in japan during a Typhoon?
Yes, a few. I haven't found them to be a big deal if you're in a city, unless you need to go somewhere --
it's an absolute bitch getting out to Narita when all train and bus routes are closed.
>>
>>1270230
I guess I should go into a bit more detail.

Doing:
>2 weeks at the same hostel in Tokyo so not traveling with additional bags outside a small backpack for day trips I might be taking. Hostels paid for so don't assume it in my average daily cost
>~2200 yen, 500 for snacks/water
>~1000-2000 yen for bus day trips in and outside tokyo
>~4000 yen for trinkets (save anything not bought for next day)
8700 tops

Weekends
>add ~3000 yen for drinks/bar
11700 yen on weekends

I'm not huge on buying tons of stuff either, outside of a few small trinkets(used video games, books, some CD's) and what not I am mostly backpacking + additional carryon in japan.
>>
>>1270245

>Yes, a few. I haven't found them to be a big deal if you're in a city, unless you need to go somewhere -- it's an absolute bitch getting out to Narita when all train and bus routes are closed.

Shit man... I was expecting to arrive in Narita on friday...
>>
>>1270263
shouldn't be a problem, typhoons generall last a day or two tops, they tend to blow out really quick once they hit a land mass.
>>
>>1270263
Isn't the typhoon supposed to be gone by then?
Also this >>1270266 transit was only disrupted for about a day.
>>
Anyone know the rules regarding porn when using one of those Internet Sim cards? I know they have no fair usage policy, so it should be fine. And what about uncensored porn?
>>
>>1270269
Don't see why they would care or monitor, hentai doujins and such are sold pretty regularly iirc. Worst case is you just use 4chan for shit. Japan isn't like china. Besides, you could probably just download shit off your hotel wifi or bring it with you from the us.
>>
>>1270266
>>1270268

I see that is good. By the way did the typhoon cause any damage outside Fukuoka too?
>>
>>1270272

I guess I was just paranoid over getting stopped at the airport on my way back for watching uncensored porn
>>
>>1270274
Typhoons are more regular in tokyo than hurricans are to the US, usually damage is fairly minimal and cleaned rather quickly.

>>1270275
They ain't going to make you open up your laptop so they can go through every folder. I don't they would even check your laptop, just don't look sketchy and leave all your porn on the login screen to your device labeled PRON PLZ NO LOOK!!!
>>
>>1270075
Still got no answer
>>
>>1270293
no you're in fucking Saitama. If you want to live in Tokyo, move to Tokyo
>>
Heading to Akiba today, looking (among things) to find some initial d merch, maybe a hoodie or shirt, for my little brother. Where should I look?
>>
So i'm trying to schedule a trip to Japan in the upcoming months, and i'm finding really difficult to find Shinkansen schedules to see if it's worth purchasing a JR Pass

Is there a gaijin-easy and comprehensible timetable or something out there?
>>
>>1270337
http://www.shinkansen.co.jp/jikoku_hyo/en/sanyou/sdh_tokyo.html

Less than a minute on google. JR pass does more than bullet trains some busses allow you to use your JR pass as well as small trains.
>>
>>1270100

To answer the question for real, Shinjuku-2-Chome is the gay nightlife district, there's likely to be bars and hookup spots there, and the average Japanese person won't care (being a foreigner will be the more defining characteristic). Foreigners (especially whiny beta males) will definitely be angry about it though, especially if you start banging more Japanese girls than they do.
>>
>>1270100
I'm convinced that the people saying tinder doesn't work in japan probably never made a tinder except for japan, uploaded a total of 1 awkward bathroom mirror selfie photo and didn't just swipe yes to everything and actually tried being selective.
>>
>>1270357

Why do you say that? I've had success with it in multiple cities back home, but people just don't use it as much here, and those that do tend to be trashier on average. Not sure what's controversial about that opinion?
>>
Any decent guides on finding cheap/free events or things to do in and around tokyo?

Found a few things but most seem to be old posts that I can't confirm are still around. Going to be in tokyo for about 20 days before using my JR pass to get around to some other places like hiroshima and such
>>
What's the best way of getting from Tokyo to Niigata?
>>
>>1270376
If no other stops, busses can get you there pretty quick and painless for 3500 yen, will always depend on what other stops you have as well
>>
>>1270373

Tokyocheapo is a good one
>>
>>1270376
What are your criteria?
Price? Speed? Comfort?

If you don't care about price, the Shinkansen is pretty good.
>>
File: 1489545643425.png (420KB, 645x552px) Image search: [Google]
1489545643425.png
420KB, 645x552px
I am probably gonna jump around Japan with a friend in september for about a month and I am wondering what Ill actually need, thinking to bring 2k for spending/food money since I am staying with my friend in his rooms for the duration of the trip. also how hard is it to find some whores for a stupid gaijin.

I have never traveled outside of the country and I am in the middle of getting my passport.
>>
>>1270445
Depends, do you have a method of transportation with your friends? JR passes are a good value, but that doesn't mean they are cheap. 2k in food/spending isn't a whole lot for the month, but some anon's have reported getting by on half that for the month.

>also how hard is it to find some whores for a stupid gaijin.
Whores? meh, hard if you don't know the language if you have local friends ask them about touristy spots. With 2k though drinking/party spots might be a bit tough. Gaijins? probably easy in September, just look for anime hubs and such
>>
>>1270451
Yeh I would probably end up needing a train pass, I also know a few guys that are locals so they might be able to get us in somewhere I guess. Thanks for the help.

though what is this I hear about them needing to check your bank account? I'll have the money but now Im kinda worried since I'm technically a NEET because all my work is under the table.
>>
>>1270477
>though what is this I hear about them needing to check your bank account?

Pretty sure that is only for people doing extended stay visa's over 90 days or something, they want to make sure you have enough to cover you. Never got asked about anything when booking my month in Japan. Anything else about bank accounts is usually let your bank know before traveling so you can get money out at 711
>>
>>1270083
nice, how long are you going for? I'll probably stay the extra night in Uwajima, as this would allow me to see all 4 original castles that are located in Shikoku
>>1270090
first trip and Shikoku is pretty ambitious, I'm on my 4th now lol. yeah unfortunately I don't have a license so I can't visit many places there though western Iya seems to be pretty accessible from where I'm staying
>>
my flight leaves in the morning, im a bit nervous i have never been overseas before, but fuck it i'm going to eat myself a dank weed cookie right as I get to the airport lololol and none of you autistic fucking anime loving sperglords can do a single thing to stop me! wooo!
>>
>>1270549

You sound more autistic than any weeb I've ever met.

On a related note, I just found a massive chunk of bong resin on the sole of a pair of shoes that were in my bag and I'm thanking fuck some sniffers didn't pick up on it.
>>
>>1270090
>>1270546
I visited the Iya Valley by train and bus many years ago. It can be time-consuming depending on where you're coming from and you have to be careful about the extremely infrequent buses, but I found it do-able and pretty low-stress (the journey is gorgeous if there is visibility). Hotel Iya Onsen's baths down by the river were sublime in May (they're not very hot).
>>
>>1270553
can you visit the Hotel Iya Onsen as a day guest as well or would I have to book a room there? Also good to know, any hikes/mountains you would recommend there?
>>
>>1270554
>can you visit the Hotel Iya Onsen as a day guest as well
I believe you can, though I think it is pretty pricey (~1700y). The logistics of getting there, having a soak, and getting back might be tight. I stayed a night at the hotel.

>Also good to know, any hikes/mountains you would recommend there?
Unfortunately no, I didn't spend much time in the area at all. I do hope to get back there and do more exploring someday.
>>
I'm curious if there's any westerners living the meme of working with games in Japan ?

I have done expat work in some countries so far. Most pay significantly better because of foreign specialist skills. Even in other Asian countries like China or Singapore.

The few people I know that went to Japan for this type of work (both westerners and other Asian) seems to be weeabos that sold out much to cheap. I doubt there is many professionals or even expats other than teachers here but I thought I'd give it a chance to ask.
>>
2 more weeks before humidity hell, but It'll be worth it.
>>
>>1270553
damn a room for one night is 900$, I think I'll go for the day pass lol

I'll make sure to post some pictures when I'm back if you lurk these threads!
>>
>>1270568
Yikes, I paid 48,960y for three people (dinner/breakfast included) back when I went. Either they've gotten much swankier or it's some peak season shenanigans.

Please do! I haven't come here before now, but I may start lurking.
>>
>>1270566
Tips for humidity? Going from beginning to mid September and quite worried.
>>
How do I not get raped In the ass while having reliable cheap Internet on my phone? Are wi-fi the only solutions?
>>
Anyone in Osaka wanna go drinking together this Saturday?
>>
>>1270581
Buy a prepaid SIM, not too expensive and should be enough as long as you're doing substantial downloads (which you should restrict to wifi)
>>
File: ヲリー.png (189KB, 294x282px) Image search: [Google]
ヲリー.png
189KB, 294x282px
hey guys, got a question about employment

I'm going to be studying at Doshisha University in Kyoto for a year from September and I'm looking at ways to make some cash on the side if I don't get the JASSO scholarship. My back up is English teaching, as I've been teaching Japanese online for over a year now and know there's good cash in private lessons, but I've heard about opportunities of being a fake priest for marriage photos. I'm 6' 2", blond with blue eyes and bearded, so I figure I fit the image well and sounds like a lot of fun, anyone know if this is still going? I've heard that it was a fad in the '90s and isn't so popular anymore, but I'd like to hear if anyone's had this job or knows anyone who has,or any other fun jobs available for 外人 in Kyoto

>tl;dr
Year Abroad student looking for advice on fake priest work or any other interesting jobs available in Kyoto
>>
>>1270577
think August is the worst for humidity, things should taper off from mid September if you're in Honshu

Kyushu is gonna be hot as balls for a while longer though

You could hide out in Hokkaido if the heat's too unbearable for you
>>
>>1270599
Ah damn. I will probably leave Tokyo right when things start to taper off.

Guess I'm just going to have to deal with the cold. Anything else I need to know besides from Uniqlo airism shirts, always bringing water (and sports drinks like Pocari sweat) and going inside for AC every once in awhile?
>>
>>1270598

I know of some honkeys still doing weddings in Tokyo, but they're doing entire ceremonies in Japanese, which they are fluent in. And it's only some weekend side money, not enough to pay the bills alone.
>>
>>1270601

don't expect the evenings to be much cooler, and make sure your hostel has A/C in the rooms. I've spent many sleepless nights in a pool of my own sweat in cheap dorms. Other than that, sounds like you're covered.
>>
>>1270602
Damn, the keigo must be a nightmare for that. I've got three months to practise that before my visa allows for work though. Do you know if they work for a particular company, or do churches employ them individually?
>>
>>1270598
just work the 1-9 AM shift at Lawson senpai
>>
>>1270608

Not sure about that, but I know one friend only does ceremonies out of a specific high-end chapel, which, from what I've seen, seems more likely to be owned by the adjacent hotel than a not-for-profit religious organization.
>>
has anyone completed the 88 Temple pilgrimage in Shikoku here/even visited part of it? considering attempting it come October
>>
Anyone want to hit up roppongi or shibuya tonight? I'm a white male who speaks barely passable japanese if thats worth anything.
>>
Have you ever been to a sushi belt place?
https://youtu.be/yWB2DtVytuo
>>
>>1270830
what if I don't speak any Jap at all
>>
>>1270839
not him but doubt you need much, that area is a huge place for tourist hookups
>>
>tfw feeling uncomfortable on this hot UK day at 28C with 50% humidity
Will I die when I go to Tokyo in the beginning of September with 80%? Fuck
>>
Got chronic diarrhea, and I'm trying to work out what made me sick. Was it the supermarket sushi? The 7/11 meal? The Matsuya beef bowl? I think I should start cooking for myself for a few days...
>>
>>1270838
Several times. If you can find a place that serves really good sushi, it's a great experience.
>>
>>1270838
Yeah, I've been to that one in fact (it's probably a chain.) Me and my friend couldn't figure out how to make the sushi plate release so we could grab it, a Japanese family in the next table spent like 5 minutes laughing at us before the dad took pity and came to show us. Overall the quality was terrible and it made me fairly sick, had liquid shits within 30 minutes of eating. I went to a smaller one on a more recent visit and it was alright though.

>>1270869
I honestly feel eating some bullshit American food every 2-3 days does wonders for my stomach. Hell even while I'm sick some quick nugz can help out my tummy.
>>
>>1270839
Yeah that's fine as long as you're a decent person. Add me on line if you want to go out or do weeb stuff, ill be here until early august. My line is backoftheline
>>
>>1270893

I think you're right, I haven't had any bread and potatoes sitting heavy in my gut for over a week now, never thought I'd miss that shit.
>>
>was really looking forward to experiencing Tanabata
>learn that Kyoto holds theirs in august like the fucking special snowflakes they are.

Woohoo, another score for Kyoto finding ways to fuck me over and piss on any attempt i make to do anything!

I already miss Tokyo.
>>
Going to Golden Gai in a bit. Im down to meet up
>>
>>1270085

Nah dude
>>
Which one would be more crowded on a weekend, Himeji Castle or Nara Park?

I'll be staying in Osaka during a weekend and in Kyoto during weekdays, so I need to decide when to go where.

Thanks!
>>
Can I sleep at manga cafes like Mangakissa and Manboo as a tourist in Tokyo? I heard that you need IDs to stay or use the internet sometimes, so would my passport do?
>>
>>1270936
I haven't been to Himeji but considering its the top castle in the country and well it's a castle compared to Nara which is a huge park + city, I imagine that being busier
>>1270937
you can normally yes
>>
>>1270947
Thanks, I was thinking that too but I guessed there would be a lot of people in Nara on a weekend as well.
>>
>>1270951
well there will be, but as I said it's a huge part and city so the masses will be spread out
>>
>>1270838
If all the sushi there is 100y, that makes me nervous as to quality. I've been to Numazuko in Shinjuki and Ginza, along with Hikarie (not sure if its a chain, it was on one of the upper floors of the mall behind Shibuya station, other side of the station from the crossing).
>>
>>1269665

imagine how fucking hype they'd be though if whitey turns up at THEIR high school festival
>>
>>1269765
>Is it true that japanese people don't like talking to strangers?

I found the opposite, 99% are rushing somewhere and aren't gonna stop to meet strangers, especially in Tokyo but people will actively come up to you, this old guy in Fukuyama came up to me and my gf when we checked out the castle and chatted to us, mainly younger people will come up and say hi though, they are pretty outgoing I was surprised
>>
File: tumblr_lra76ugFcN1qbzo9l.gif (337KB, 250x152px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lra76ugFcN1qbzo9l.gif
337KB, 250x152px
>>1269932
>Shibuya Airport
>>
>>1270137
haha epic dude XD!!! now upload a longcat or cockmongler meme my fellow anonymous poster
>>
>>1269972

make of this what you will, first time me and two other lads went we ended up staying in what years later we heard was the "worst neighbourhood in Japan" in Osaka, and sure it looked pretty sketchy but we were walking around after midnight and didn't feel unsafe
>>
>>1271016
I happened to watch a TV special on that place - if it's Airin-ku - and similar Japanese ghettoes/transient-worker towns, where people who'd lived there for years talked about it.
Foreigners just don't get targeted at all, is why. They provide money to the local businesses, whether hotels or brothels, and the local yakuza doesn't need international attention when Japanese people have just as much money. It's explicitly because it's such a bad neighborhood that foreigners get ignored on pain of tangling with the yakuza - no local or criminal wants awareness of their neighborhood to turn international and likely bring a raid in time for the Tokyo Olympics.
If you're wondering, the TV special is here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh8lb5Z1qTQ
>>
>>1270100

From what I know, gay guys aren't differentiated much from straight guys in Japanese culture. The only flamboyant ones are 'okama' who really flout it and get some stick for it, often cross-dressing. Women, on the other hand, seem worse off than men in most parts of society due to muh patriarchy, but as keeping such personal things to yourself are so highly prioritised there it shouldn't be an issue. if you get stick, it'll be because you're foreign before being gay
>>
>>1271025
>Foreigners just don't get targeted at all

this, nobody will fuck with you if you're foreign
>>
>>1268908
Visit a youtube channel called "The Casual". He's some black dude who lives in Japan and imports shit to other countries. He has a few great videos on he secondhand Jap clothing market.
>>
File: IMG_4679.png (540KB, 514x644px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4679.png
540KB, 514x644px
Considering moving to Tokyo in future. What's a good, cheap place for a 1LDK apartment? Is living in the 'Expat' areas a need (think they're Shinjuku, Shibuya and Minato) or is other areas in Tokyo okay for an expat?
>>
File: 1458538589929.jpg (34KB, 300x343px) Image search: [Google]
1458538589929.jpg
34KB, 300x343px
How do i get there for free?
>>
>>1271079
stow away aboard a cargo freighter
>>
>>1270838
I used to absolutely love Maguro Bito in Asakusa. Sadly I just looked it up and it seems like they moved a few years ago and the quality went to hell, something I'm pretty sad to learn because I'm going to Japan in a few weeks and was looking forward to it.
>>
>>1271079
swim
>>
>>1270067
the equivalent of chiang mai, digital nomads, entrepreneurs etc.. low overhead = more risk taking, but in japan? >>1270067
>>
File: 1498672554048.jpg (70KB, 564x846px) Image search: [Google]
1498672554048.jpg
70KB, 564x846px
So here's what I got; I'm a jobless, 22 year old American ( of Pennsylvania ) Female that's dropped out of high school, and my dream is to visit Japan, possibly live there for a bit of my life. Every time I've told this to another, they would hint to me that I would have best luck with becoming a language teacher, I would be teaching English, but also I'd be learning Japanese before traveling.
Does that sound about right? I haven't looked much into everything and I would truly appreciate the help I need to fulfil my dream. Whether its linking me to a website to further myself, just telling me what I need to know if you're plenty experienced with this stuff already, or anything else I can't think of at the moment! Thank You!
>>
>>1271183
>Does that sound about right?

No, it's completely incorrect. You cannot get an employment visa in Japan (to teach English) without a college degree. Sorry to crush your weeb dreams, but it ain't gonna happen.
>>
>>1271183
In order to live here, English teaching is probably the easiest route. However a bachelors degree is required to get the visa for such a position, so unless you get a high school degree and then get a bachelors, you're pretty much out of luck.
>>
>>1271183
Show your tits, whore.
>>
>>1271183

You don't need to know Japanese before going there.
You can't get an employment-oriented visa without a bachelor's degree.
You can visit. You can try to get married. You can probably yakuza your way into the sex industry, though that's more common for Russia/SEA and your life will not be pleasant. You can try your hand at one of the 1-2 year cultural experience/etc visas, but you'd need money to live off of. Not much else you can do.

That's the real world for you. Think of it from their point of view: what do they gain from you joining their society? You buy into their social safety net, but what do you contribute? Not trying to be mean but the world's full of closed borders.

Also need to ask yourself why it's your dream if you never went there. Easy way to join the disillusioned directionless weeaboo cohort is to follow the dream blindly.
>>
File: 20170708_015527.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170708_015527.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>1268902

Arrived last night. Was stressful at first, but arrived at my hostel and got my dick succ by some fat british chick. Shits tight. Now to go eat some sushi and ramen and watch anime and bash the yakuza
>>
>>1270565
Gaming is literally the worst area of tech to work in and Japan is literally the worst (first world) nation to work in.

Working with games in Japan sounds like a nightmare, and I love both games and Japan.

You'll have an easier time starting your own company and disrupting all the slow and backwards Japanese companies, but good luck figuring out the Japanese market or making any business deals.

>>1270838
Yea, it was shit. There's nothing good on the conveyor anyways, so you just end up ordering whatever you want like any normal restaurant.
>>
Hey I'm a tall white guy visiting Japan. Is it likely for me to walk into a maid cafe an have sex with an employee? i'm pretty attractive
>>
>>1271234

Yes. In fact by virtue of being tall and white, every woman will drop to their knees and get to work wherever you go.

I sincerely hope you're joking, but you never know with the retards that come here.
>>
>>1270951
>>1270937
I plan on doing the same tonight, share if something comes up
>>
I'm in Japan until the morning of the 19th, when (if at all) should I go see the Ueno Natsu Matsuri? I understand it starts on the 16th and peaks on the 19th (after I've left). Should I go on the first day?
>>
How are the Japanese about swimming in lakes? It's really hot here right now and I feel like I should get out of the city and cool down in a pretty Japanese lake. Is that something the Japanese do and are ok with people doing, and are there any nice lakes in range of Tokyo, Kyoto, or Osaka anyone can recommend?
>>
I need to get to Sapporo; flights to CTS transit through Narita or Haneda with layovers from between 75-100'.

Is that sufficient time to disembark, clear customs, retrieve luggage, transfer from international arrivals to domestic departures, re-check baggage, and then board with a reasonable cushion in case of delays?

I've read that Narita is generally quick (almost everyone transits through in <30'), but I haven't found as specific information about Haneda.

If anyone has general advice for travel and stay though I'd appreciate it. I'll be in-country from September '17 to August '18 on a student visa.
>>
Does anyone have a favourite izakaya in tokyo they can recommend? I've got a lot to do while I'm in japan and vanishingly little time to do it in, so I'll probably only have space in my schedule for one. would ideally be in akiba, harajuku, or otherwise somewhere not too far from ueno, but if you have anything really special elsewhere go ahead.
>>
>>1268924
No
>>
File: doragon.jpg (187KB, 813x885px) Image search: [Google]
doragon.jpg
187KB, 813x885px
>>1271183
Doesn't sound like you have a whole lot of motivation

Here's what you want to do:

-Travel to japan for a few months, live as a resident and see if that's actually what you want to do; look into WWOOF

-If that ends up being something you want to commit to, find a source of income

-Look into fully testing out of a degree, there are a bunch of resources online

-Get motivated

-Spend a year~ or so working through your degree

-Get your degree, then get a TEFL cert

-Apply as an alt or look for job listings on gaijinpot

-Move to japan and become a living meme
>>
For those who work overseas, is paying off your student loans a hassle?
>>
>>1271226
dude kirin tastes like cold ass sweat, try some stuff from sapporo instead
>>
https://youtu.be/K7H4jiMssfs
Why is Japanese instant food so much better than the instant stuff in the rest of the world?
>>
Any recommendations on what to do in Osaka that is perhaps not that well known? I'm in naniwa ward/ near nipponbashi if that helps
>>
>>1271371
stop shilling your shitty channel in every thread and kys
>>
>>1271283
It's generally not a thing - seen as unclean and all that. I suppose if you can find a deserted one, no one will know.
>>
>>1271562
will probably just leave it then, thanks
>>
Going to go once to a maid cafe today, for the memes. Which in Akihabara is the best one to go to?
>>
File: Fr.jpg (107KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Fr.jpg
107KB, 512x512px
a friend of mine is paying for my plane ticket and hes not much for planning. I don't know where to stay, or where to eat. budget might be limited to 1k US dollars.

as far as I know Shinjuku and Osaka are good locations for sight seeing and eating.

I am an indie game developer and illustrator, and I'd like to meet other artists if possible.

any recommendations would be humbly appreciated.
>>
>>1271371
I don't mind your channel dude but it's time to stop.
>>
>>1269932
airbnb
>>
>>1271593
You could check out Tokyo Indies:

http://tokyoindies.com/

And for places to eat this site rocks. I basically just plan my days around meals from here. http://www.tokyoeats.jp
>>
hey trv, so I am travelling with three friends to Tokyo and Osaka in October, is there any good hotels that's similar to the Shinjuku prince around that area? As it seems to be, there are no double rooms as of now. So I'm trying to find other options. Anyone got any recommendations? Just want a place thats close to Golden Gai and close to the station.
>>
>>1271605
hoh, I'll take a look at this indie gathering place. now that you mention it, I've once heard a composer friend talking about this event before.
>>
Anyone know a good hostel that's close to shinjuku? and what is there to do in Osaka? I know about Shimsaibashi and all that, what would be a good location to stay in at Osaka?
>>
I don't suppose anyone here knows about Training Visas to Japan, or specifically whether you need to be a student to apply for one?
I'm looking at an internship over there however it's aimed at students and asking about providing evidence of being one for the visa, but I've recently graduated.
>>
I'm
>>1271278
Concerning
>>1270937
I went to one last night in aki, it was expensive because I went to a popular one because I was already out of time and energy when I started looking for one, but for anyone wondering or wanting to try it out, I'd recommend it, especially if you bathed in the craziness and loud sounds and music coming from everywhere all day, this thing is like a temple, I've never felt so relaxed in my entire life.
There's something about the place what makes it extremely comforting, the drinks are most of the time free and you can stay the whole night for ~2kyen usually, so it's a very good price considering your position.
Some has showers, some don't, some have beds and some don't as well, if you're around 5feet10 you won't have any problem, but some of the rooms might be too short for taller guys.
Concerning the demographic, I've been kinda surprised to see that more than half of clients were actually girls, even overnight.

If anything, I'd like to try out some more, but they are kinda hard to find and the best ones are usually not displayed on googlemaps, if anyone knows some other interesting Manga kissa, especially overnight ones, please let me know.
>>
File: P1010332.jpg (5MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
P1010332.jpg
5MB, 4608x2592px
Tips regarding climbing Mt Fuji?
I'm currently living in Osaka Prefecture. The cheapest way to get to Fuji would be a night bus so I'll probably take that, try to sleep on the bus, then wander around all day and maybe sleep in a park before going to climb at night to catch the sunrise.
I've got good mountain gear, just missing a flashlight. I want to see the stars there although I don't care so much about the sunrise which is why I want to do it at night, but what do you guys think about climbing at night, is it overrated?

Pic is at Katsuoji temple.
>>
>>1271188
OK, thank you for your feedback!
>>1271190
Bachelor's, here I come!
>>1271197
Was it wrong of me to assume gender would matter here? As in, " well usually the females can get hooked up with this job, " or " Females always get away with X Y Z " ?
>>1271206
Simple: I've seen some documentaries and have spoken with a few Japanese people... They are very kind.
>>
>>1271673
>Simple: I've seen some documentaries and have spoken with a few Japanese people... They are very kind.

Seeing Japan from a distance is not the same thing as going there. Going there as a tourist is not the same thing as living there. Don't mistake the culture of politeness with friendliness and openness.
>>
>>1271674
Seriously, this. They were polite in Estonia, but that didn't mean they liked me(us). They just wanted our tourist bucks.

Russia was a little bit different. That Slavic friendliness.
>>
>>1270929
Tokyo > Osaka > cozy rural villages > any tier-2 city > comfy domestic suburbs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kyoto
>>
>>1268962
it doesnt even matter. Ive lived in sasebo and currently live in yokosuka. Ive flow into the country with 100 caps of adderall xr 30 mgs in a marked bottle and 20 instant release 20 mgs IN AN UNMARKED BOTTLE. im prescribed it and they dont ask me anything.
>>
>>1271688
I liked Fukuoka and Nagasaki

Also Osaka should go before Kyoto down there
>>
Is it best to bring cash in japan?
Should you exchange to JPY before you leave or when you arrive in Japan? If so, any recommendations for good currency exchange places?

Or should you just get a travel money card, load it up, and withdraw a few large chunks of cash every now and then?
>>
>>1271705
just withdraw money at 7-11. they only accept withdraws of 100 dollars or more unfortunately. and the rate of exchange is roughly 1 usd : 112-118 yen these days. its not terrible if you wanna make big purchases. other wise its easy to get some good food and drinks and basic needs stuff like slippers and even knick knacks at thier 100 yen stores in "ginzas" which are basically malls. you can use visa for cabs and stores, but SOME barbershops and 100 yen stores are cash only.
>>
>>1271705
Narita is the one airport in the entire world that won't devastate your anus when changing currency. They have extremely competitive rates. If you have cash, exchange it when you land at Narita. Or, just withdraw money at 7/11 whenever you need it. Same good good rates (whatever your bank charges, basically).

>>1271707
70% of the stores there are also cash-only, and that number goes up drastically when you leave tokyo. Don't let yourself travel without cash in Japan.
>>
>>1271707
Speaking of barbershops.
Can you ask them to shave your bear?
I'm gonna leave with no razor, it would be neet to just show up and get it shaved.
>>
>>1271712
yeah they can give you a really nice straight razor shave and a haircut for around 2000-2500 yen which is around 20-25 dollars. if youre black they wont do line ups for whatever reason.
>>1271711
um ok? ill just go to aeon and use my card for literally anything. anytime. ive lived here for 3 years.
>>
>>1271183
Ill pay for your plane ticket and hotel for 7 days.. In return, I obviously want to fuck you whenever i feel like it.

Btw I'm not joking, the money it cost for a ticket to Japan from America is about the same as buying a high-quality whore.
>>
>>1271593
Staying is easy, there is always cube hotels. Go to the pub crawl events to meet new people ( most speak english there if not all )
>>
I'm planning on going to Japan with a friend (third time for me, first time for him) around New Year's, partially for Winter Comiket, and we were planning on making it about three weeks.
The issue is that both of us are power-weeaboos, and are either not interested in or have already seen the usual touristy sights. I was there last year around New Year's too, which means I know roughly what happens around then and how crowded shit gets.
We'll probably end up having a lot to do between food, drink, gambling, shopping and things that pop up along the way, but if there's anyone who has something they think is a perfect fit for two hardened weebs, we'd love to hear it just so we have time to plan.

We're both young men in our early twenties - skinny computer-repair-store type and Indian-looking guy with big hair. I speak enough Japanese to handle most everyday situations and conversations, though I'm not about to claim I'm not awkward.
One of us is interested in figures, the doujin industry and all stripes of moeshit, while the other is into 48 Group/Sakamichi Series idolshit, Japanese right-wing politics and owarai.
We're not interested in using the gaijin card to get in anywhere - we go where we're allowed to, and if we're not allowed, we're not allowed.
We haven't decided on the exact city yet, and we might either do the Tokyo-Osaka-Fukuoka route or pop up past Niigata first to see a bit more than the backs of tourists' backpacks.
Food, drink, out-of-the-way sights and the like are all welcome.
>>
>>1271718
give me a way to contact you
>>
>>1271733

Haha Jesus Christ

Disgusting
>>
>>1271713
>I'll keep going to this one specific store over and over again until I die or get deported

ahh, using a credit card in japan sure is liberating and convenient, isnt' it?
>>
File: DSC00759.jpg (7MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00759.jpg
7MB, 5472x3648px
>>1269091
Updating this post. Lufthansa cancelt my flight to Frankfurt, but gave me another option. Traveling for almost one day without sleep fucked me up.

No one really speaks English, but up to this point I didn't really need it. This incredible politeness is really weird and nice for a tourist.
>>
>>1271733
I stand corrected, I guess there is a job opportunity for you in Kabukicho after all.
>>
File: 1458410844827.jpg (2MB, 2048x1357px) Image search: [Google]
1458410844827.jpg
2MB, 2048x1357px
I get this is a pretty vague question since everyone has different lifestyles but for those who have been -- how much did your entire trip cost you and how long did you stay?

I'm considering going for 3 weeks and I'm trying to get a feel for the lows and highs of costs.
>>
File: 1444491903260.jpg (86KB, 395x372px) Image search: [Google]
1444491903260.jpg
86KB, 395x372px
>tfw just got business class to Tokyo for 500€

First time business. Let's hope it's as comfortable as people say it is
>>
>>1271808
wtf. where are you flying from?
>>
>>1271810
Not him, but from Germany you can find great deals, around 500-700€ usually.
>>
>>1271784
Quick Breakdown:

I went in the Summer of 2015 for roughly five weeks (June to Early August). The round trip ticket was about $1700 from NC to Narita (Delta).
I booked a decent AirBnB in Otsuka (Tokyo) for the entire duration of my stay ~$950.
I bought the 7 day first class JR Rail Pass for about $340. Traveled to Kyoto by Shinkansen and stayed at a decent hotel for 4 days ($35/night). I used a rented SIM card for roughly $45 and came with 5gbs of data. Used the JR trains countless times around Tokyo ($1.20/one way). Went to Pallet Town and Joypolis (Odaiba) and spent a bit of money for admission fees/souvenirs ($75). Manga Cafes/Internet cafes/Esports-SQUARE/Arcades probably ran me about $200 in total. Budgeted about $30/day for food and daily spending.

My total cost had to have been around $4500 for my five week venture.

You can really make the trip your own though. If you want to live off of 7/11 food and cheap ramen shops you can do that. Skipping the rail pass and only staying in one spot saves you a bit of money. Travel during a less busy time of year (October - January) for great deals on flights. Depending on your location, the flight will easily be your biggest expense. If you are a nonweeb and don't buy figures and go to maid cafes you can save a ton of money. There are a lot of things and places to see for little to no cost. Don't think you will see everything Japan has to offer in your short trip. To sound as cliche as possible, get lost and explore. There are many small shops and restaurants you will never see from the main streets. Traveling with a friend can help reduce cost when choosing where to stay.
>>
>>1271808
Got a round-trip Paris/Osaka, Tokyo-Paris for the same price, in economy class. Oh well, at least I'm short.
>>
>>1271810
>>1271813
Yeah, it's from Frankfurt to rome to Tokyo. It's a pretty nice deal for 470€ considering it's usually 2500€ at least for business and economy is about 600€.
>>
File: 1492523348410.jpg (44KB, 600x478px) Image search: [Google]
1492523348410.jpg
44KB, 600x478px
To my great surprise it seems that I might be able to travel to Japan before dying.

So what are the best places to visit for Edo and Muromachi period architecture (and history in general) and traditional music?
I know Kyoto is a no brainer but what else would you glorious faggots recommend?
>>
>>1271840
Kanazawa without a doubt
>>
>>1271825
Which airline?
>>
>>1271844
That looks lovely, thanks famalam
>>
Christmas in Japan - Tokyo or Kyoto?
>>
>>1271234
Kill yourself
>>
>>1271825
fucking. How did you find that?
>>
>>1271840
For Edo period buddhist and shinto temples/shrines, Nikko has some of the most ornate and intricately detailed architecture that I've seen. Not much to see in Rinnoji as its under heavy restoration, but the rest of the shrines and temples still had a good bit to see when I was there in April despite restoration work. The museum on the grounds also has a ton of artifacts from the temples and also (in the free section) has an exhibit on the restoration process.
>>
Any place you would recommend staying for one night roughly halfway between Kobe and Tokyo?
>>
>>1271711
What about Haneda?

>>1271814
Which was the hotel you stayed in Kyoto?
>>
>>1271784
I went with a friend and I spent about $3000 for 3 weeks. I spent 1500 beforehand on plane tickets, JR pass, and hotels then I spent another 1500 while there. This was in a March
>>
>>1271849
Alitalia business with a Boeing 777-200. Checked the seats beforehand and they look quite comfy.

Let's hope they won't be bancrupt until November. Already received my E-Tickets but I'm going to wait a few weeks before I plan any further.

>>1271868
german website for cheap travels
>>
I live in the tropics so I'm quite clueless to seasonal wears. What kind of outerwear would I need for an autumn in Japan?
>>
>>1271741
this seems to bothers you more than it bothers me doesnt it?
>>
I've been bumming around Japan for about half a year now, and I want to do a youtube video where I address some questions that people who want to travel in Japan might want to have answered, but without all the JET/weeaboo bullshit. What questions should I address?
>>
>>1272042
What area you live in? And you live in apartment? How much per month?
>>
I'm planning to go to Japan in October.
Since this will be my first (and probably last) opportunity to fulfill the lifelong dream of meeting a Japanese girl, what are the best options for a shy white male? Pubs? Some dating apps?
>>
>>1272071
your weeb dreams will end in crushing failure anon, turn back while you can
>>
>>1271859
Tokyo for sure. Kyoto is cozy and all, but Tokyo will have many, many more activities and christmas-themed items, places, etc. by sheer volume.
>>
>>1272031
Yeah, seems like it. It does bother me when you give misleading advice. Japan is a hugely cash-based society, and if you tell somebody they'll be mostly fine with just a visa, they might take that to heart, try to get by without cash, and have a bad trip. I don't want your bad advice to give other people bad experiences.
>>
>>1272042
>people who want to travel in Japan
>without all the JET/weeaboo bullshit

So who the fuck is your target audience, then?

>>1272071
Dating apps (tinder, + maybe some japan-specific ones, but you'll have to have at least conversational japanese), hobby/language meetups, definitely not bars/pubs.
That said, reconsider your life choices you weeb trash.
>>
>>1272100
are there even Japan specific dating apps like Tinder?
>>
>>1272100
The 2020 Olympics are in Tokyo.
Just saying.
>>
Im scared /trv/ i got off narita airport and managed to get myself a bus ride to osaka with 7700 yen. But now km dreaded that how am i suppose to travel from osaka station to moriguchi district at 4 am. Are there and subway or rail way that I can use?. Please help.
>>
>>1272105
just wait an hour or two at McDonalds and take the first train/subway then. Or if you really have to go there, take a cab
>>
>>1268964
I did Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima. Hiroshima was nice and I had lovely sunny winter days when I was there. I only spent two days tin Hiroshima hough. Not sure you'd want to spend too much longer there. Just really wanted to see a few historical things and try Okonomiyaki.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170710-180013.png (156KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170710-180013.png
156KB, 1080x1920px
>>1272107
This is what i got from google map. I guess i have to somehow ask to buy that ticket. Thanks
>>
Hello I will base myself in Osaka for 1 week, what kind of card should I buy to get around kyoto, Nara and Osaka for cheap? Does it cover wihtin city public transportation too?
>>
>>1271741
Not him, but I used my card at about 80% of places I spent money. Pretty much the only places that didn't take card were small restaurants and shops out in the sticks, and tourist trap on-site shops at big attractions.
>>
Going to Tokyo in the heat and humidity of August/September. Besides from shorts, what kind of pants should I be wearing to keep cool?

I was thinking cargo pants made from poplin.
>>
>>1272128
>cargo pants
You go there.
You see what people are wearing.
You buy something generally similar at Uniqlo.
It doesn't need to be high fashion - just for Christ's sakes try to not look like a goon, because you'll get worse service and so will every other tourist after you.
>>
>>1272157
What happens if me (about 6 feet, about 250) and them (definitely not either of those) are nowhere near similarly sized?

Different person, but I'm going to be staying long-term on a student visa.
>>
>>1272251
First of all, stop saying "they".
Second of all, there are Japanese people in all shapes and sizes. I'm like an inch shorter than you and still spot people who're as tall as me.
Third of all, Japan is a country like any other, and has shops of all stripes for both natives and foreigners. Even if no Japanese person was as tall as you (and you'll be surprised - you're taller than the average Japanese man, sure, but the average of 172cm includes all the elderly men alive in 2010), the country, especially the capital city with the biggest metropolitan sprawl in the world at close to thirty million people depending on where you draw the line, would have plenty of shops for tourists.

If you really, honestly worry about these things, and if you honestly harbor stereotypes like the "big American six-foot man crush puny four-foot limp-dicked Asian domestic abuser and take all women" one, you should probably not go unless you're willing to have to admit you were very wrong.
Do you honestly think Japan is a third-world country where you can't get a fucking pair of pants, because the tiny Japanese dwarves are eclipsed by your American glory and none of them have ever thought of selling clothes to foreigners?
The only reason I don't call you a casual racist is that the expression is overused by casual racists, but rest assured, the sentiment is there.
>>
>>1272270
For a lot of brands I have to wear XXL sizes because I'm a 48-50 " chest. It can be really difficult to find nice clothing in that size, especially for casual wear stuff. I have a jacket that I love which technically fits, but I can't even zip it up because there's literally not enough material to go around my chest (and stomach, which is its own problem).

Same with pants. Getting a 30, 31 " inseam no problem. Getting that inseam in a 38 or 40 or 42 " waist can be problematic, and I'm shopping in my city at stores I know well with brands I'm familiar with. Finding shoes can be a huge pain too. I wear 13/46-47.

I don't think wondering about clothing availability (especially since university correspondence tells me I should pack/bring everything I think I might need because it specifically says men of my height/weight/shoe size are SOL) is particularly unreasonable, so I would appreciate if you didn't give me an unwarranted 'tude.
>>
>>1272278
You do know that a million tourists have asked that before and you're not the first Mighty Whitey to go to Japan and then bitch about being overweight, right?
There are entire stores literally dedicated to people like you, who instead of doing what they can (slimming down for a lot of Americans) or just not coming in the first place, feel that they have the right to be catered to in a country they came to not because of an invitation, but because they thought they had the right to go there for fun.
Search for those. Go there. Buy your special American pants and special American jacket at those stores at a 150% markup instead of at Uniqlo, then go to McDonalds and eat a Big Mac, and then go back to your Holiday Inn and never see any of Japan.
Yes, I am mad. I am mad because even if you didn't pick up on it, every word you write drips with smug, underinformed American entitlement and the snide belief that you are so special that other countries' booga-booga monkey tribes either can't imitate Great America or are hissingly afraid of your terrifying 186cm and 100 superflous kilos.
Do you honestly, from the depths of your heart, think that finding clothes in your size in a thirty-million-plus metropolis is going to be a challenge just because the people there are on average a bit smaller than you?
You're not that fucking unique, and even if you don't think you have your head up your ass, you do. Thousands and thousands of people have come before you and will come after you - everything you have a problem with has already been remarked on by someone else, and if it isn't fixed now, then instead of trying to make every country you go to into Murka, just - you know - fuck off.
If you don't like something about a country, you can either accept it as a part of the country or not come in the first place - because the only thing Japan needs less than one more tourist is one who comes only to try to make it more like home.
>>
>>1272306
Cool, thanks. Was worried if I put a hole in something I'd be up a creek; don't know why the university would tell me otherwise!

Thanks for all your help :)
>>
>>1272315
Stop being an overweight fucktard, and maybe your university won't treat you like a disabled amerilard.
>>
>>1272270
>>1272306
wew weeb-kun, easy with the autism
>>
>>1272096
Thanks for the hint. Gonna have to change my plans a bit.
>>
>>1270245
>>1270353
>>1270357
>>1271028
Thanks everyone. Now I'm off to Nippon to infuriate some foreign whiny beta males.
>>
File: Okinawa_Island-ISS042.jpg (378KB, 1200x1423px) Image search: [Google]
Okinawa_Island-ISS042.jpg
378KB, 1200x1423px
What's Okinawa like, guys? For both visiting and living? I've always wanted to move to Japan. I don't think it's too unrealistic of an idea to move to Tokyo and live/work there for a long time (visited many times, working on saving up to move) and retiring in Okinawa
>>
>>1272306
wew lad, you seem trigged my nig, is fattusfuckus mcburger here really worth your fury?
>>
Where can I rent a pocket wifi router, getting it today, in person, and not at an airport? Everything I see from google suggests delivery takes multiple days for delivery and doesn't talk about collection besides from airports. I'm in Osaka right now and when I'm done with the router I'll be in Tokyo
>>
File: 1498674739942.jpg (131KB, 1001x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1498674739942.jpg
131KB, 1001x1100px
>>1272306

Dat 'tism
>>
>trying to get ghibli museum tickets via JTB
>sold out
>check other sites, it's a 700% mark up

what the fuck man. Anyways, anyone been there is it worth it?
>>
>>1272505
>tfw managed to snag the last 2 tickets for the last day I'll be in Japan after every other day was sold out
>>
first time at a Ryokan, its pretty comfy and the staff is awesome
>>
>>1272562

New bread
>>
>>1272099
LOL sorry but thats not misleading chump. its true they like cash but its a 1st world country so think about that. now im not disagreeing that you need cash. But not all the time like how you are saying. which is misleading. just read the outside store signs or ask "visa daijobu?" jackass.
>>
>>1272278
>I would appreciate if you didn't give me an unwarranted 'tude

AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

Let me fix that for you:

>Stop being mean to me over the internet
>I deserve to get all the information I want freely and easily
>No I won't do my own research or use my fat fucking brain
>>
anyone can recommend hostels in tokyo with single bed and private bathroom? all i can seem to find is hotels or double room with private bathroom

i really dont like having communal showers all lined up together or having to share with other people in my room
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.