[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, thinking of going to Ciudad de México for my first international

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

File: Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png (190KB, 2000x1143px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png
190KB, 2000x1143px
Guys, thinking of going to Ciudad de México for my first international trip and even though I love mexican culture, I'm kind of afraid of the crime there (don't know if it's a meme or what).
Does anyone had experiences about that who can share? Is the subway safe?
>I kinda have a thing about subways
>I want to see some shit outside of the regular tourist routes, like sports
>>
I'm going to Mexico City next Monday.

Haven't been there before, but from everything I can gather, the city itself isn't particularly unsafe.

You should avoid certain areas after dark and stay out of the slums at the northern and southern ends of town, though. I've also heard the suburbs in the State of Mexico can be nasty and rather crime-ridden.

I think the "Mexico is violent" meme stems more from the kidnappings and gang wars which occur in states like Michoacan, rather than touristic parts of Mexico City.

Watch your wallet, don't stumble around drunk after dark, and don't leave your hostel with hundreds of dollars, and you should be okay.

Will give you some more info after I actually get there, kek.
>>
File: Sin título.png (620KB, 1110x1113px) Image search: [Google]
Sin título.png
620KB, 1110x1113px
This is incomplete, but it can give you an idea.

And >>1263401
>You should avoid certain areas after dark and stay out of the slums at the northern and southern ends of town, though. I've also heard the suburbs in the State of Mexico can be nasty and rather crime-ridden.
>Watch your wallet, don't stumble around drunk after dark, and don't leave your hostel with hundreds of dollars, and you should be okay
Pretty much this
>>
File: map_mexico_city.jpg (160KB, 1110x1104px) Image search: [Google]
map_mexico_city.jpg
160KB, 1110x1104px
>>1263454
Clean version
>>
>>1263391
>thinking of going to Ciudad de México
Cool! You'll have a great time.

> for my first international trip

No, no, no. It's going to be shitty and overwhelming for you. Go to somewhere like Playa Del Carmen, Puerto Vallarta, Puerto Escondido where you can talk to the locals in English and there are some comforts of home around. CDMX is a bit much for the first time out of the country solo.

>Is the subway safe?

Take uber. It's pretty safe during normal hours but you need to fight to get onto the subway cars, even on the weekends. And you will get pickpocketed if you have something interesting in your pockets, it's not easy to defend against because of all of the normal pushing that you have to do.
>>
>>1263472
I can speak spanish though.
>>
>>1263473
As in, you have experience talking to natives outside of school? Usually people that have just taken classes can't actually talk to locals until they get used to it.
>>
>>1263491
Only with argentinians and it wasn't that pleasant because of my accent.
>>
im a white looking american (mexican family), not fluent in spanish but ok enough. I lived in Tacubaya on and off from last summer through a few months ago. Been all over the world but CDMX has wormed its way into my heart as my favorite city in the world. If you're smart and dont get off being a shitty tourist type you'll be fine. People there friendly and willing to help regular folks. Everything is cheap as shit including uber but sometimes b/c of traffic the subway will be faster, just stay away during rush hour. So much history and archaeology that is so accessible and the party scenes are chill. Dont go to those resort beach towns, all the same and boring as shit. CDMX as a first time international trip is totally doable, I've seen wide eyed white tourists do it tons of times, I did it as a teenager after high school a few years ago.
>>
>>1263492
this is me >>1263496
i speak shitty texas spanglish and literally no one cared, sometimes they asked where I was from but i got no negativity from it
>>
>>1263454
Pretty accurate, just visit all blue and purple places and you will have a good time
>>
>>1263391
Nice, a lot of people came to visit.

Second, the Metro is easy to understand and there´s always a cop to help in every station, but it is not a good idea if you are coming alone and dont speak spanish, you may get lost.

There are a lot of places to visit if you want sports, biggest sport here is soccer, but also baseball and football in some places, if you want something a bit more special there´s the Horse race too.

There´s crime like every other city in the world, just dont go alone to lonely or poor places, stay where there´s people and you will be fine, people here help tourist.
>>
>>1263516
>>1263454
What's the problem with red?
>>
>>1263391
Mexico City (DAY F-AY) is awesome. Just don't try to ride the metro or get anywhere fast during peak traffic 6-9 am and 3-9 pm.
>>
>>1263521
ghetto neighborhoods or high crime areas
>>
I'm in CDMX right now and its incredible. I feel very safe especially near the city center where there are police every fucking where. You'll have a great time OP I'll definitely be coming back here
>>
>>1264370
>especially near the city center
That's not exactly a safe place if you wander to the wrong street, no matter how busy it looks, honestly. Thieves are not rare even if they are not violent in that part of the city. And even if the police isn't colluded with criminals, they are very incompetent and under equipped.

Still, most likely thing is that nothing will ever happen to you in that part of the town, but stay cautious my friend.
>>
>>1264376
And by centre I mean the historic centre
>>
>>1263454
>tfw I was born and raised in Ciudad Neza

I know its a shithole but it's my shithole and I look forward to going back every year.
>>
>>1263496
Much easier for you than someone that doesn't have a background with mexican culture. I *LOVED* CDMX, spent a month there, had a girlfriend that I'll prob go back and visit sometimes, but I wouldn't recommend it to a first-time traveler. Initially it comes off as dirty, dangerous, overwhelming to the average American.

I'd really highly recommend going to Oaxaca as your first spot. It's culturally very Mexican, but it's way nicer to wander around and see sights in and it has an immediate charm because of the architecture. Only problem is that it's hot as balls during the day.
>>
OP, stay in Condesa, not in Centro Historico. If you stay right in Hipodromo, in some hostel around Parque Mexico, that would be ideal. Really cool, safe place to wander around.
>>
Lets say you live and work in CDMX or any big city like GDL. is 12000 pesos monthly a livable wage?
>>
>>1264520
Yes
>>
Anons. Im a Mexican citizen by birth, ive been living in the U.S undocumented since i was 3. Long story short I've been considering going back to MX. Ive have been looking up call center jobs, tourism & other english speaking jobs. I know you have to revalidate your studied and so forth. Lets says i go ahead and complete all the revalidation's and such. My question is it worth it living in Mexico as an english speaker? with an education in the U.S? What is it like living and working in MX?
>>
>>1263472
this is total bullshit.
> but you need to fight to get onto the subway cars, even on the weekends

it's ridiculuosly crowded only during rush hours, like 18-21. You don't need to fight though. It's just a huge crowd that moves you forward. At other times it's just fine.

Also taxis are abundant and safe. You only *need* to use uber duing the night when going from drinking places, becayse taxis are gonna overcharge you like crazy.
>>
Does anyone know if American carriers like T-Mobile actually offer full data coverage in Mexico?

I saw on their website that they offer 'free' international roaming in Canada and Mexico, but the last time I passed through Ontario, I didn't get a signal until I was crossing back over the border to the United States.

I'm staying for a month and am planning to get a SIM anyway, but I wanted to call an Uber from the airport rather than dealing with taxi bullshit.
>>
>>1264586
Yes my dude. I was down in Puerto Vallarta for a week and all my friends couldn't call worth a shit from ATT and Verizon but on T-Mobile just switch to Telcel under carrier options and your set. You have to change carriers while your in the other country but T-Mobile has a deal with them so you don't pay extra. Make sure you plan has the free in Mexico thing.
>>
/trv/, I was thinking of going to CDMX too, but I want to go to games at Estadio Azteca and wherever the baseball team is going to play. Are those areas remotely safe?
>>
>>1264520
Depends on your lifestyle and where do you want to live.
>>
>>1264528
If you have a college education it maybe worth it, if you don't stay in the US.
>>1264596
If you want to see a match at the Estadio Azteca you should come between August and November or January and May. It's relatively safe but you should exercise caution, I would recomend going with a local because it can get pretty hectic, if you can't just use Uber.
>>
>>1264591

Thanks.

I just checked and I guess I have to pay an extra $5 for UNL roaming in Mexico.

Would you recommend doing that or just getting a SIM in Mexico? I feel like it'd be more convenient to have a Mexican number, unless most providers there allow free calls to American cell phones.
>>
>>1264598
Lets say: Not a shitty neighborhood were i will get mugged, or kidnapped. Something middle class? where i can save money and get by? Is GDL better to live in that CDMX? Im relatively low profile i dont drink or party, mostly stay in and play music and shit, occasionally catch a concert, exercise, etc. i cook in also. Where would i be better off with a salary of 10k-13k pesos a month?
>>
>>1264600
What college education is most likely to land you a well paid job there? What are the well paid jobs there? Is the IT/Software Development field well paid? thats currently what i am studying.
>>
>>1264602
Relative to the rest of Mexico, both cities are expensive, the median wage in Mexico is $15K per month, so could live a relatively comfortable albeit slightly frugal life. Mexico City has a better nightlife, public transport system, museums,weather but it's more polluted and unsafer than GDL. I can't tell you much about living in GDL as I've never lived there but it is cheaper than CDMX and women are better looking. In either city you will definitely need to live with roomates, so try to find apartments near big universities, as it will be easier to find english speaking people and rents will be more affordable. Depending on where you live expect to pay anywhere between $3k and $7k per month on rent for a room so take that into consideration.
>>1264604
There are plenty of jobs for CS graduates in Mexico, you can expect to earn between $20K-$27K pesos per month, which is good in Mexico but not so good compared to american salaries for the same field. Speaking spanish will probably be a most for some companies.
>>
The economic disparity between MX & the states is vast, regardless of that i think the quality of life makes up for it. What are your experiences in MX? Anything you would recommend to someone in there early 20's who is considering living there? I have heard there is a lot of favoritism, amongst other things. care to dispel some myths? Also thank you for your input. Its extremely helpful.
>>
>>1264623
You can start living in CDMX first and I used to live there, its huge, theres a lot of things to do but on the down side, its polluted and crowded.
Now Im currently im living in Monterrey its a desert city north of Mexico, I love the mountains that surround the city and if you're not used to a hot place this will overwhelm you. 42C 107.6F almost 3 months per year. Think Arizona heat but less abrasive. Also another good thing besides cheap living and mostly all people understand english. If you need more specific information on both cities just ask mi amigo.
>>
>>1264623
I concur i have seen some images on google maps, is CDMX similar to NYC? I have heard this comparison a few times. Are Polanco & Roma really "all that"? Why did you decide to stay &/or move, idk you but it seems as though you are american (sorry if im wrong) based on your grammar. I have so many questions about Mexico in general. I have heard the women in Monterrey are beautiful as well. how is the weather year round,In both cities?
>>
>>1264609
>$3k and $7k
>for a room
> and with roommates to split the rent
That's what entire apartments cost, and paid by a single person. I currently live in colonia Roma Norte in a 60 meters square apartment, and it costs 7k per month,

And Roma Norte is not exactly a cheap place.
>>
>>1264652
>Are Polanco & Roma really "all that"?
No, there are richer places and by far. But in terms of how rich people are: Polanco > Roma, though. Alfonso Cuarón is currently making a film set in colonia Roma in the 70s.

I don't know about Monterrey, but in Mexico City, typical spring weather is around 19°C at 1-2pm and around 10°C in the morning and night, typical summer weather is around 26°C at 2pm, autumn is similar to spring, but with a lot of rain, and winter can reach temperatures of 0°C (somewhat rare) in the morning, with 13°C at 2 pm. Rainy season lasts for some months, between July and October. Temperature rarely goes beyond 30°C or 0°C Pretty comfy if you ask me.
>>
>>1264672
>That's what entire apartments cost
So what, is like 7k pesos in CDMX gets you a good apt? What about GDL? What kind of people live in Roma norte?
>>
>>1264679
Wow that weather sounds amazing. Is it humid during the summer? What are the richer places in MX, about how much is a decent apt in an ok neighborhood.
>>
>>1264652
Women in monterrey are the best, and cool headed too. CDMX has some good girls too. The weather in Monterrey can get to -2C 28.4F (probably a day or two) in the winter and 42C 107.6F in the hottest week on the summer.
>>
File: Roma.png (2MB, 1363x656px) Image search: [Google]
Roma.png
2MB, 1363x656px
>>1264688
Yes, you can rent a good apartment in a nice place with that. I could take a while to find it, good apartments in places like Roma are usually above 10k, but I've seen them in 5500$ even. There are other places like Narvarte or Alamos with a similar standard of living but 3k less expensive.

People in Roma Norte are upper middle class hipsters. Pic related is an average street there.
>>
>>1264689
It can range between 5k to 10k depending on a lot of factors. There are cheaper apartments and more expensive ones, but those are usually not worth it unless you are barely middle class and got lucky (for the ones below 5k), or are somewhat well off (for the ones above 10k). You just have to be persistent in your searching to find the good ones.
>>
>>1264760

Hate to ask, but does anyone have tips on getting laid in Mexico City?

Sex isn't at all the underlying purpose of my trip, but I let my last break-up get to my head and haven't gotten laid since November.

I'm a pretty normal-looking white guy with an average body and pretty bad Spanish. I remember getting laid in Colombia and Nicaragua was pretty easy, provided the girl sort of spoke some English - what's Mexico like?
>>
>>1264832
What I meant is don't be a dick and pay for her drinks, Mexican girls have a thing for foreigners. Just don't be a loud gringo and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1264842

Are you Mexican, Anon?

I only ask because I've found local men tend to exaggerate how interested their women are in foreigners, no matter where in the world you are.

Anyway, sounds good.

I lived in a developing country by myself for a while, so I usually go for a semi-formal look when I go out (dark jeans, dress shoes, nice shirt, etc) and avoid looking like a hippie whenever possible.
>>
>>1264844
Yes, and have some cousins that like to brag about their foreign conquests, one of them married a very nice guy from the U.K..
And where are you from?
>>
>>1264849

I'm from the United States.

I've traveled around a couple countries in Central and South America, but it'll be my first time in Mexico. Spending about a month there before moving onto Africa.

Like I said, getting laid isn't really a priority for me, but it'd be nice to get some action after half a fucking year of ExGfOneitis.
>>
>>1264832
Ok, I spent a few weeks in CDMX going for girls. Ended up finding a great one but fucked a few along the way, was easy.

Here's what I recommend:

* Study up on Spanish as much as you can before you go. Girls that speak English really well are almost always harder than girls that only speak Spanish, or only speak a little English. It's both a class thing, and the fact that English-speaking girls have access to lots more gringos, so you're not as special.

* Look up the hookah lounge right next to Parque Mexico. Get an AirBnB within a couple blocks of there. I swear, this place is amazing for dates.

* Get Tinder Plus before you go, set your location to there a few days before, match and open as many cute girls as you can. It's okay if you open with English.

* Meet the girls at the hookah lounge for drinks, or alternatively meet them for dinner nearby then take them there afterwards

* You can escalate from there, and just like Colombia/Nicaragua you should be making out with them in public, that's totally normal and not weird there. They don't make out quite as quickly as colombian girls, but still way faster than any non-latinas.

That hookah lounge is amazing, the couches and atmosphere there are perfect for escalating. I brought different girls there every night and just made sure to tip the waitstaff really well to avoid problems.
>>
>>1263516
Is Condesa/Roma not worth spending a lot of time in? That's where i'm staying when I go there in a few weeks.
>>
make sure you go up to pyramids. make sure you go down to the old aztec canals. make sure you go to a bullfight. make sure you lucha libre. go to at least one of the big markets. and absolutely make sure you have some pulque. also, take the subway, but avoid rush hours because its insane far beyond nyc or even tokyo because they only have a few lines. i stayed in centro for a week and i spoke minimal poco espanol be cool speak what you can and you will be fine. be sure to always always say something after hola, like hola buenos dios or tardes they are adamant about that unlike anywhere else. gracias adios when you leave or similar always. its just good manners.
>>
oh also go out and see music. they have a fantastic rock scene. roma or centro. afterward have an al pastor taco. that is a specialty. also, go up on the plaza republica arch at sunset or torre latino tower anytime for great views.
>>
>>1264907

Thanks for the tips.

I've already booked a hostel dorm, but I'm willing to arrange something if I meet a girl who doesn't have her own place.

Is the hookah lounge an expensive place? Not to sound parsimonious, but I'm on a budget - I'm traveling for six months via some light savings and freelance writing, so I can't afford to blow $100 on nights out and all.

I'll try to brush up on my Spanish but I only have a couple nights left before leaving. :/

Hopefully I'll learn a bit and get lucky at clubs, too. I almost hooked up with a woman in Ecuador who I approached after a ladies' night got out, but she turned out to be married and her husband came back home right before we were about to go in.
>>
>>1264910
Those are really nice places if you want to go out to bars. It's full of art deco style houses from the last century, surrounded by a million little restaurants and shops. It's also full of parks, so it's pretty nice to walk there. Upper middle class neighbourhoods.

Purple places are just richer (not necessarily a good thing) and blue places are where the main attractions in the city are (museums, archaeological sites, historical places, etc.),

It really comes down to what you want to do.
>>
>>1264924
Okay, thanks! Could you elaborate on why Coyoacan is worth seeing? Is there anything there but the university?
>>
>>1264930
If you are talking about UNAM and university city, that's further south.
Coyoacan is the name of 1 of the 16 "boroughs" within the city, but when people talk about it, they talk about the historic centre of the borough. In times of the colony, and a good century after it, the historic centre of Coyoacan used to be a small comfy colonial town outside the city, and as the city grew in size, it got engulfed inside the City. It's full of big colonial houses, the Frida Kahlo museum is there a couple of blocks away from the house where Trotsky used to live (also a museum), it's full of traditional food stands like churros, it has bars and cantinas (Spanish style bars from a while ago), places where you can buy pulque (a traditional drink; quite good but with a weird consistency you probably wouldn't like if you are not used to it). It has a traditional market full of traditional and indigenous crafts and other interesting stuff. All surrounded by colourful houses with a nice colonial architecture. It's overall a nice place to hang out, but it can a little crowded at times. Although much less crowded than the historic centre of the city.
>>
>>1264917
Thanks saving this. I'm going next week.
>>
>>1264576
When I took the metro on a Sunday at 1PM it was very crowded and took a fight to get on the cars at certain stations.

You don't *need* to use Uber, but for a first-time international traveler from the US, it's best to use it 100% of the time. Pickpockets aren't a thing in the US. And even for me as an experienced traveler, Uber was so cheap that it wasn't worth the extra hassle of using the metro.
>>
>>1264586
T-Mobile works better in Mexico than it does in the US, honestly. It's great.
>>
>>1265967

I lived in India for two years. That sounds like the Delhi Metro. I doubt I'll have any problem.

>>1265968

Thanks. I just paid for another month of service and am going to add international roaming.

I guess SIM cards in Mexico are $10 or $15, not including service, so I figured footing another $40 for T-Mobile unlimited talk and text would be the better option.
>>
File: Mexico Collage.jpg (8MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
Mexico Collage.jpg
8MB, 5000x5000px
>>
>>1265982
>the naked girl on the bottom left
always gets me
>>
>>1265967
>Best to use Uber 100% of the time
once he gets to know his area, he won't need to use it as mich
>>
Can anyone give me an idea on what to expect for budgeting in Mexico?

I'm pretty content visiting a few museums, seeing a handful of sights, and doing some self-guided hikes in safe natural areas.

I'm taking a six-month trip, with a month spent in Mexico. I won't have very much money to begin with, but I earn a minimum of $1k per month from a website contract.

Thinking $35 per day, tentatively. I'll only have around $500 leftover by the time I leave Mexico, but for 1.5 months after I'm staying with a friend in a poor African country. He says I only need $150 per month since room is taken care of and everything else is dirt cheap.

Is $35 per day good enough for Mexico, especially outside of CDMX? I'm not expecting to do anything crazy, I just wanna see some cool stuff, eat decent food, and maybe meet some Tinder grills and go on hikes
>>
Can I hijack this thread for a short second? What's the simplist way to get to Tijuana from San Diego Airport? This wiki travel guide is super complicated

>Go outside the airport and take the airport express bus, which is route 992. Buy a day pass from the bus driver for USD$5, which will also cover the trolley. Take this bus to the first stop on Broadway in downtown. From here, you should see the American Plaza Trolley station. Walk over to the west side, and you will catch the Blue Line trolley to the last stop in San Ysidro. Upon arrival everyone will get off the train. Follow everyone to the left towards the McDonalds building and go past the building to the parking lot behind it, before turning right onto a narrow sidewalk and up a hill to a ramp that leads to the grey border gate. Go through the one-way gate, which leads down into the Mexican immigration and customs office.
>There are the more expensive solid yellow taxis driven by taxi drivers in yellow shirts. The fare for these taxis is USD$5 to Revolution Avenue. Sometimes a taxi driver will ask you to pay USD$6, but you can always get these taxis for $5 or even $3.
>>
>>1266328
just walk lmao
>>
File: iztapalacra.jpg (70KB, 760x416px) Image search: [Google]
iztapalacra.jpg
70KB, 760x416px
>>1263521
Literally some of the most horrible places in the entire country.
Those areas of the city are one giant, ugly, unsafe slum that extends as far as the horizon
>>
>>1266000
It really depends on where you travel, if stay out of places like Cancún and Los Cabos, $35 will be more than enough.
>>
>>1266685
I wanted to go to Jardín Balbuena though, and I feel like it's near those red spots.
>>
>>1266692

Thanks, senpai.

I remember I was only spending $20 or $25 per day in Ecuador - sometimes even less when I did day-trips to national parks and did little other than walk.

Aside from some occasional sightseeing and nights out, I have pretty simple tastes. I know I don't have the money to do crazy adventure activities, and will probably save most of that for when I'm in Tanzania and not paying for a room.
>>
>>1266699
The difference between a safe place and an unsafe one can literally by marked by a single street. Once you cross it you can either be safe or not.

So if you are going to be near a red place if you know a local he can give you a perfectly safe tour.
>>
Outside of tijuana where do I go for sex?
>>
>>1267549
I usually go to your house, your mom is always inviting.
>>
>>1267552
She lives in tijuana tho
>>
>>1267578
Contact her, she is a total whore. I'm sure she'll fuck her own son for 2 dollars top.
>>
'm in zacatecas with my parents to visit family. Anywhere within an 8 hour bus ride worth checking out? I really don't want to stay in this little pueblito the entire 3 weeks I'm here.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.