[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 34

/QTDDTOT/ - Version #15159

Old thread died so I'm starting a new one. I'll start by asking: what are some nice cities in Europe to spend some time in that WON'T be fully booked for July already? I've tried finding an apartment in some of the bigger cities in Europe (Budapest, Prague, London, etc.) and they're all booked for a large amount of days.

Any less known but equally beautiful cities that won't be booked to hell for July/August?
>>
>>1263012
Find tier 2 and tier 3 cities. Don't bother with London, Paris, Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam, etc.
>>
>>1263060
What do you mean by tier 2 and tier 3 cities? Also, it would be nice if they have a main airport, because I'm scared of getting lost with the public transportation.
>>
>>1263061

Probably the capitals of less touristy countries and regional capitals in some of the more popular countries.

What kind of activities do you like doing? Then we might be able to suggest some.
>>
>>1263092
Hiking, swimming, going out to drink, walking around town. I tried looking at Freiburg, Germany, but all the good apartments were booked at least once in between the time I want to spend there.
>>
What are some countries/major cities that are good for one-week visits? Ideally, places where you can "see everything" within a week, or be reasonably satisfied spending that amount of time in.

Somewhere other than Hong Kong, if possible. I'm saying this preemptively because a lot of people say that Hong Kong can be "done" in a week; not only is it common knowledge, I've already been there and I love it.
>>
>>1263096

Have a look at Brasov
>>
>>1263107
Thanks. Why Brasov?
>>
>>1263111

Somewhat touristy area, meaning its friendly and easy as a foreigner.
A nice old town with lots of nice buildings and historical monuments, also many nearby towns with similar kinds of towns. Also lots of nice castles and other ruins around (Including 'Draculas' castle).
Lots of bars and places to eat (as its a tourist area) with a combination of locals and tourists.
Good hiking opportunities nearby (it lies on the Southern Carpathians).
Cheaper than western Europe in all regards (food, accommodation, transport).

Not sure about swimming opportunities, but I'm sure there would be something.

I'm not entirely sure if there would be much accommodation left as it is somewhat popular, but I'd defs give it a check.
>>
File: yot.png (128KB, 331x477px) Image search: [Google]
yot.png
128KB, 331x477px
I'm thinking of moving out of America, at least for several years for grad school and after, but I don't really have any idea where to go. I've never left the US, and I've been left wondering recently if there really might be a better country for me to live in.

I mean, of course it'll ultimately boil down to what school I can get into, but I'd like to at least start thinking of places to check out. I really just want it to be safe, hopefully a bit more on the rural side, and not super racist.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:
>Auckland
>Dublin
>Edinburgh
>Montreal
>Luxembourg
>Leiden
>Toronto
>Vienna

Any thoughts on these places?
>>
>>1263118

A heads up:

In most cases taking a course out of your home country means you will be paying full tuition fee's, this makes it quite expensive ($20'000+ in lots of cases). On top of that you need to pay for accommodation and stuff like that.

Some places in Europe offer free university, but (from other threads I've read before), its hard for internationals to be admitted. Also I'm not sure if this is only for undergraduate positions.

Also most countries will only teach their courses in the national language (exception of some Law and business related courses) meaning you often need fluency in the language before you even arrive (as they have entry tests).

Also, why? Like what specifically is driving you to move away?
>>
>>1263118
>I've never left the US
I see so many of you faggots like this, different people like different shit, I personally thought I'd love all Austrian cities, thought, Innsbruck was subpar, but that's me

Visit the fucking places you want to live, are you autistic?

I wouldn't move out if I were you, you are clearly to immature to do it, it's like you fags think everyone acts the same as Americans, Europeans are different in a bad way, trust me.

So my advice is travel, do rely on others to decide a place that you will live

Faggot.
>>
File: 1450495861891.png (384KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1450495861891.png
384KB, 640x480px
>>1263123
That's helpful to know. Thankfully I'm not especially concerned about the money, and in terms of the language, the larger international schools seem to teach a decent amount of their masters programs in english-- but that's also why I'm looking for more english friendly places.

>Like what specifically is driving you to move away?
I've visited a decent amount of the major U.S cities and I've lived in D.C, L.A, and Portland respectively over the last 20 years. And honestly I just haven't found a place here that I've ever really loved or felt comfortable in.
There are too many cars here, it's getting harder to avoid the politics, I don't find a lot of cities aren't very pretty, and I just don't feel like it's really my country.

I know moving won't solve all of my problems, but I'd just like a serious change of pace for awhile, and living abroad seems like a sensible way to do it.

>>1263125
Chill out dude. I'm about 2-3 years away from going to grad school, and it seems like a pretty good time to try and live abroad for awhile.
>it's like you fags think everyone acts the same as Americans, Europeans are different in a bad way, trust me.
I don't think that, that's part of the reason I'd like to move for awhile. I'm kinda sick of Americans.

And it's not as if I'm making the decision now, I just wanted some basic feedback on these places, see how other people liked or disliked them, or if anyone had any suggestions.
>>
I have a QTDDIOT
Are you expected to tip bellboys in expensive hotels when outside of the USA?
Specifically China, but in general do people do this anywhere other than the states?
I know you aren't expected to tip in restuarants etc but what about hotel services like bellboys?
>>
>>1263118
>>Dublin
Eirefag here, starting college in September so I have a bit of knowledge on courses and shit here.
Dublin is a cunt of a place to get accomodation and even if you do get it its very expensive. And like >>1263125 said youll have to pay the full tuition fees
Theres a lot of universities in Ireland not in Dublin worth checking out. NUIG, UL or Maynooth just outside Dublin.
What sorta course would ya be looking for?
>>
>>1263129
Going to do a Masters in Europe is a great idea. Don't focus on the typical 4chan negativity.

Most northern European countries offer English postgraduate degrees (that what most European countries call what American call graduate degrees), and most of them have no, or very low, course fees. (It ends up being an economic plus for the countries because you're consuming, creating jobs, and paying tax while you're there.) The Nordic (except Finland which recently started to charge fees for non-EU students) and Benelux countries specialize in this, also to a lesser extent Germany. You'll find your program will be full of people from all around Europe and the world, including locals.

It's worth saving up and taking a cheap trip to Europe to visit some places before you apply, though. You can do this quite cheaply; get a copy of the "Europe on a Shoestring" guide, even if it's just for "armchair travel".

When you get closer to applying your decision will be narrowed down by what you want to study. European universities offer some quite specific Masters programs, so there might be only a handful of places that offer that MSc in underwater cement engineering or whatever.
>>
>>1263245
U of Dublin Trinity has one of the best Humanities divisions in the world, which is why Dublin's on my list at all. That's good to know about the accommodation though.

>>1263255
Thanks for the positivity! This is really helpful.
>>
>>1263117
I was in Brasov two weeks ago. I can confirm, it's very nice and has a good variety of things to do. It gets kind of crowded in parts though, mostly a few streets in the old centre. Not Vatican levels of crowded, but it's not an 'undiscovered gem'.
+there are lots of hiking trails close by that are super quiet.

>>1263102
Belgium, Denmark, Czech Rep?

>>1263182
Europe: If they carry your stuff, yeah.
Btw in many European countries you do give a tip, just a smaller one. Rounding up the number for instance.
>>
File: 1469642154011.jpg (111KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1469642154011.jpg
111KB, 1680x1050px
Any podcast episodes, books (that have an audiobook out for them), or YouTube videos that /trv/ suggests?
>>
>>1263269
Michael Palin documentaries. The one in the Himalaya is the best.
>>
>>1263269
You can see all Rick Steves' guides on Youtube. They're aimed at middle aged folks, but he's a cool guy. Check out his Iran video.
>>
>>1263263
>>>Humanities

Sheesh man I hope you're a trust fund kid. Good luck man, hope it works out for you. Either way you'll make some memories.
>>
If I attach a tent to my bag on the outside with Carabiners would it be safe enough to go into checked luggage on a flight
>>
>>1263396
>checked luggage
All I will say is that if airport security decides that your bag deserves extra scrutiny, they will have a really fun time opening up that tent.
>>
>>1263396
it depends.... i would just put the whole thing in a huge trash bag, to be sure nothing gets torn off.
>>
Anything that I can buy to make my things more safe from being stolen?
>>
>>1263396
Anything you attach to the outside of a pack, attach it like a motherfucker. Find a way to seal the drawstring of the tent. I lost the rainfly for a $300 tent that way.
I also lost the cap off of one of my water bottles. Assume those guys can and will dismantle everything.
>>
Alright. I'm going to Canada soon, and I'd planned to go to Keji Park in NS until I realised that there was no bus for another month.

Is there another park worth hiking around in Halifax?
>>
>>1263462
>I also lost the cap off of one of my water bottles
Stay strong. We are praying 4 u.
>>
>>1263458
What sort of things are you talking about? You worried about pick pockets, or having your luggage looted, or being mugged, or what?
>>
How realistic is it to camp in sweden for about a week with no real experience. I remember seeing something about like hiking trails with cabins to rent or something like that. sorry if this is a bit vague
>>
File: Pacsafe_55L_10170999_Neutral.jpg (641KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Pacsafe_55L_10170999_Neutral.jpg
641KB, 1500x1500px
>>1263458
Maybe a pack net/bag protector (pic related)?

It's a net of steel cable that you lock around your backpack. Makes it harder to open compartments, plus you can actually lock it to something (such as fenceposts, lampposts, bedposts, tables, benches, etc.).

Pros:
>gives you some peace of mind
>is better than nothing

Cons:
>expensive as fuck
>not a perfectly flawless security system
>heavy (this is mainly a concern if you're one of those carryon-only travelers)
>>
>>1263012
I'm going on a trip to Turkey, Egypt, Greece, Albania, Croatia and Italy.
If I buy a prepaid sim in any of those countries, will it work in any of the other countries? Will I pay out the ass for this?
Thank you very much
>>
>>1263012
I online-checked in right now and have my boarding ticket, I guess. I have a visa for the destination I am headed (China), but I didn't have to put any details in there. Am I supposed to go the check-in stuff at the airport anyways then? Or is it not required to show anyone my visa, unless I am asked.... somewhere, someday?
Otherwise, I'd be heading straight through the security check since I'll be only having hand luggage.
>>
Asking the experienced travelers:
I'm a EU citizen arriving from Munich and going to NYC with a layover in Atlanta in fall but my stop is only 2 hours long. Is this enough time to clear customs/security, coming from abroad?

Adding to the problem, last year I entered the US by land on a bus for a few days. When I left the US the Canadian border guard didn't take my I-94W form while he was inspecting my passport.
I noticed this when I was checking my passport two weeks ago. So I sent the uncollected form with a credit card billing proving banking activity which shows that I left the US in time and that I didn't overstay my visa waiver. There was a separate mailing address for uncollected forms and instruction on how to get one's travel record corrected.

I now worry whether they will update the data-base in time and whether they will give me shit for this at security, possibly making me miss my flight. I will carry everything that I sent with me, just in case.
>>
>>1263118
> Toronto

Ahaha Jesus if this is anything to judge your list on you haven't done any actual work/research. Toronto is easily the worst city to live/visit in Canada. Seriously I'd rather be in the middle of fucking nowhere in bumfuck Saskatchewan than Toronto
>>
>>1264381
I think he committed the grave sin of googling pictures of the location.

Man, those search results can be very misleading. You can search just about any city, and you can find visually stunning photos of the place, no matter how shitty it actually is in real life.
>>
How much actual cash should I take with me to South America for a month ? I will be using my credit card as much as possible but I know I can't use it everywhere. How much does /trv/ suggest taking ?
>>
>>1264373
you'll be fine regarding the i-94w - that used to happen to me all the time and all i ever got was light scolding from some immigration officer. they obviously have ways to track people beyond that form - i suspect they might check airline records to see if you were on the flight out and then just mark you down as having departed correctly. after all, it's important for them to know who actually broke their visa / visa waiver vs the thousands who forget the form. if not, just say what airline you left on and they'll pull you aside and check the records then and there. you're fine as long as you did leave when you were supposed to.

as for a 2 hour stopover, that's absolutely fine so long as you don't get delayed. a delay of up to 40 minutes or so can typically be made up in the air. a delay of an hour and a half would put you on the ground with less than an hour to get through and at that point it's in fate's hands. more than two hours and you're fucked. note that departure times are departure from the gate - the arrival time typically has 20 minutes taxi time built in so don't freak that you're not in the air by departure time.

the crucial thing here is whether it's all one ticket, one booking. if it is they just put you on the next flight, whether you're with the same airline or not. one airline comps the other for making you miss your flight. but if you booked two separate tickets - say you booked munich - atl with lufthansa on their website, then atl - nyc with jetblue on theirs, then you have NO protection and i would advise changing your flight to be sure.

i was going miami->nyc->london and decided to add a flight to dublin, which I booked two weeks later. the flight into london was delayed, missed my flight and had no protection, had to buy a new ticket. i knew that risk, but it hurt. had i booked all at the same time, I would have been fine.
>>
if I go to europe, am I safe to try busking in the subways/streets as a foreigner or would I get deported without a work visa? Or does it vary by city?
>>
>>1264435
Plausible deniability in those situations.

>don't blatantly ask for money
>"I never did this for the money, officer. I was just playing my guitar and these locals started throwing their change at me"
>>
>>1264438
alright, i'll give it a shot and try to look up information for each city I go to
>>
>>1264435
I'm pretty sure in some cities you need a busking "permit" or some shit like that, I remember dudes in Berlin telling me about it. Plus busking and street performance is a big deal in some Euro cities, like it is in NYC; some of the performers are super territorial.
>>
out of germany, italy, austria, and switzerland(lol), which country would have the best bang/buck ratio for women, whether brothel or just being a foreign white man at a bar?

>tfw broke up with gf for being crazy
>>
>>1264454
yeah i'll take it city by city. I bet i'll figure out pretty quickly what's gonna end up happening. I'm bringing a ukulele and if I think I can make it work I'll buy a hundred dollar instrument and make a real go of it but I think it's not gonna end up happening
>>
>>1264462
Germany is the easiest choice. Switzerland is the most expensive and with the most prude girls. All except Italy have easily available legal brothels in the larger cities.
>>
>>1264410
only take enough cash for two nights, if you have a card why carry around more cash?

I would consider getting a back up credit card though from a different institution, a travel card works well as back up
if you're relying on card having two helps

>>1264428
this. you want protection against the first flight being delayed; be that insurance, flying with the same carrier etc
>>
>>1263334
My plan is to become a Humanities professor, so yeah it'll be fun. The stem meme is over emphasized, and honestly the research and argumentative skills required can still make Humanities degrees a helpful asset.

>>1264381
What's so bad about Toronto? The main reason it's on there is because UoT offers one of the best Humanities programs in North America.
>>
>>1263012
So I might be going to Japan soon and had a couple of questions, they might be better asked in the Japan general, but at least one of them is pretty general so I figure I'll try here first.

Basically, I'm planning on travelling around the country with no real set itinerary and I'm wondering what I should put on the customs form. Most countries I've been to ask for an address, and since I don't have a specific address what should I do? Just put an airbnb/hostel/hotel as the address even though I'd only be there for a couple of days?

My second question is a bit more specific to Japan, but worth a shot here. Do I need an outgoing ticket? Most places don't seem to ask for anything like that, but I'd hate to end up in Japan without a return flight and be turned away at customs. I'm in Asia already and might be travelling elsewhere in Asia after and I don't want to waste money on a flight when I don't know where I'm going. I think I've been to at least one other country (can't remember which) that wanted to see proof of an outgoing flight, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Japan specifically since it seems to vary by country.
>>
I'm an American staying with a couple different people in Germany (via couchsurfing) next month. What are some small gifts I could get in the US that aren't available in Germany?
>>
>>1264657
Well, aside from the fact that U of T is kind of a strange university, Toronto is not a very nice city. It's very gray and industrial looking. The neighborhood around St. George (the u of t campus) is one of the best in the city, and even that isn't that nice IMO.
It's just kind of a grimy city, that's all. Montreal is better, Quebec City is better, lots of smaller cities are much nicer too. If you want to know more about Canada, let me know.
The other issue with U of T is the admission requirements are quite steep, so be aware of that. Not sure how they take in graduates, but it might be a complicated situation.
>>
>>1264428
>airline records to see if you were on the flight out

Airlines have to report departures to the authorities these days. The problem was that I left the US by land and then left Canada on a plane. I was supposed to give my form to the border guard and I hadn't kept my boarding passes. I think I will be fine now. I will keep all my old boarding passes from now on.

>>1264553
I bought the ticket on the airline's website after looking it up on a search engine.
>>
>>1264706
Get something stereotypically American(except for a gun). The gaudier the better.
>>
>>1264754
That's not very helpful. I'm not gonna give people shit covered in flags. I was looking for specific suggestions from Germans.
>>
>>1264782
Peanut butter?

But seriously, these days if something is in demand people will find it. Maybe a small local beer or whisky from your town that's not sold outside of it.
>>
>>1264485
>I'm bringing a ukulele
I just want you to know that ukulele players are my least favorite kind of buskers. The same probably goes for most people. If you can play violin or some kind of brass instrument, that'll be better.

Visual talent also tends to bring in more money than musical. I've seen a pretty amazing magician when I was in Vancouver, and I saw contortionists in Hong Kong. I was much more willing to give my money to those people. You could probably pick up a few magic skills on the internet.
>>
>>1264657
>UoT offers one of the best Humanities programs in North America
Holy shit, that explains why there are so many goddamn SJWs there.
>>
Can you bring bic disposable razors in hand luggage? I sorta don't want to buy a new pack and have to bin it when I go back
>>
>>1264859
That's a slightly difficult question to answer.

The short answer is "No."

The long answer is that it depends on your airports and airlines. It's possible for your airline to be cool with it, but you still can't bring it because the airport's security won't allow it. For that matter, I would imagine that it's quite rare for the departing airport, the airline, AND the arriving airport to be all in agreement with each other. There's a very good chance that it'll be a "No" for at least one of them. And your chances become even slimmer if you have layovers with different airlines.
>>
>>1264859
Yeah senpai, do it all the time

How does 7000 HKD sounds for a "budget" budget for 2 weeks in Hong Kong excluding airfare and accomodations? Realistic?
>>
>>1264863
I actually did two weeks in Hong Kong with less than that. It's very realistic.
>>
So, me and a close family member are going on a massive cross country trip across the continental US in a car next week. We're starting in the Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio region, going south to Alabama to New Orleans, Texas, up north to Oklahoma to route 66, visiting the four corners, LA, then going up north to Seattle and going back east through the northern parts.

We have quite a bit of money, I have a list of different places to go and all of that, but I thought I'd pop in here to get some recommendations about sleeping accommodations or general tips about long traveling trips.
>>
File: image.jpg (833KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
833KB, 1536x2048px
What would be a better option for exploring neuschwanstien from Innsbruck, a guided tour, or just going by car or train?

It'll be me and two other guys and I don't feel like spending the money for a tour, but I will if it's worth it
>>
>>1264922
Try to cut across Mississippi to Natchez and take 61 down to Nola, You have great food stops from Natchez to New Orleans, my personal favorite on the way is the Francis BBQ in st. Francisville, and about 25 min east of woodville is a place called the vine brothers, and they are fucking great, like a home made comfort food deal, and if y'all are going during hunting season, 100% stop their because it is some of the best food you'll eat.

Also right after Baton Rouge, you'll get to a little town called sorrento, and you take a right off the interstate and drive to the levee and take another right onto the river road to a place called the houmas house, got some nice Louisiana feel to it, used to eat and study there a lot

New Orleans is easy, just eat and drink until you drop and stay where the crowds are and don't venture away from that unless with a local, the Roosevelt hotel is super fucking nice too, especially during Christmas
>>
>>1264937
Well, we planned on taking 65 south all the way to Mobile Alabama and taking the routes along the gulf to Galveston. My companion likes the beaches and the oceanfront a lot.

I'm guessing the places you're mentioning like Houma's House are all creole/cajun places? Looking around online, I'm not seeing much native Louisianan cuisine in New Orleans, lots of expats moved in after Katrina and set up shop there it seems.
>>
>>1264934
You can get there very cheaply by yourself, there is no need to take a tour there.

I have to inform you though, once you are at the castle, you can only enter with a guide, so you can't really visit on your own

It is insanly beautiful though, so it's worth it, one of the best places in germany!
>>
I'm going to Houston in July. Apart from melting, what fun shit can I do?
>>
>>1264859
I do it all the time (with the ever-reliable Gillette Mach 3), but I just searched the TSA website, which gives different answers for "disposable razor" and "razor (disposable)".

http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=razor
>>
How do I deal with flatulence and bloating on a long haul?
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1264943
>>1264943
No houmas house is a plantation styled home, another one pic related is better but farther away

Sadly your chance of tasting real Cajun cuisine is slim to none, Nola has good gumbo, etouffee and all that, but no place and I mean no place has it like the locals do, it's just how it is, but the food in New Orleans is the best in the world hands down, but if you want, "holy shit I didn't know food could taste like this" food, you'll have to find a old person in the towns surrounding and pay them, if you can get it, buy sautéed snapping turtle, I'd take a meal of that than a Ruth Chris steak with the jumbo crab meat

Also the coast is the most boring as shit after mobile, literally trees on one side and trees on the other all the way to Baton Rouge, I've lived in the area for 21 years, trust me 65>Mobil>Nola has no coast whatsoever, and lol good luck driving the coast of Louisiana, it's not worth it, wait for that shit in Texas, take 84 west right after evergreen to Natchez, it'll feel like you are driving through the backroads of the south while you aren't

But that's just my 10 cents, if you want to see the gulf coast you won't see it from Mobile to Nola
>>
For the first time, I'm travelling while both unemployment and not in school. While I'll be starting a new school when I return, I won't have proof of it until I get back from my trip. I know this will cause a new line of questioning at customs. For the most part will I be okay? My visit is only for a week and I already have my tickets home.
>>
>>1265271
What the fuck, this question either makes no sense, or is lacking context.

If I were in your shoes, I would mention that your purpose of travel is pleasure/leisure. That's usually all that you need. At most, they will ask about your exit plan, in which case your ticket home is all you need.
>>
are there any european forums for hitchhikers?
>>
>>1265066
>How do I deal with flatulence and bloating on a long haul?
Anti-gas pills, simethicone.
Avoid gassy foods. Take a look at IBS diet, called the "low FODmap diet" for a good idea of foods that don't digest well without that effect.
Don't chew gum, inhaling gulps of air with each bite is known to add air to your system.
Avoid soda/carbonated drinks. Stick to still water.
If you haven't tried it, you should take some probiotics to get your intestinal flora as varied and effectively in balance as you can possibly make it. Anything off, will eventually get into a better situation, and flatulence should go down a bit. Many of the products have blister packs great for travel or carrying in your pocket. 3x-6x/day is easy like that.
>>
>>1265271
I don't really think something will happen. Carry some bank records with you proving that you can support your stay abroad just in case and you will be fine.
>>
>>1265271
You are, professionally speaking, "a full time student".
There's no law against that. Keep your old student ID like it's the same school you're going to (since you don't have the new one ID yet, if it makes you more secure to have some proof). No one will really know anyway.
What are you traveling on? Your savings.
But, who really supports you? Your family until you graduate.

That'll be good enough for most customs questions. Where ya going?
>>
>>1265093
>Sadly your chance of tasting real Cajun cuisine is slim to none.
Yeah, that's how I figured it at least. I had a friend from the area that raved all about the wonderful food down there but he couldn't cook his way out of microwaved burritos and ramen. I'll keep it in mind though.

>>1265093
Not even on highway 90? We were going to avoid interstates like I-10 and take highways/backroads whenever possible.
>>
File: silence.jpg (21KB, 453x412px) Image search: [Google]
silence.jpg
21KB, 453x412px
>>1265298
Are we not good enough for you anon?
>>
>>1265304
Israel, which is why I ask. I know their customs can be pretty rough compared to the places I've been to before.
>>
What the fuck counts as a credit card in Germany? I'm told I need one to rent a car, but I only have a regular Visa card. Visa Classic is what my bank says it's called. Does this still work, or am I stuck?
>>
>>1265507
Of course a Visa is a credit card. It's the single most popular credit card in the world by a pretty huge margin.
>>
>>1265509
Yeah, but my card isn't a "credit" card if we're being specific. It goes directly to my bank account, which technically makes it a debit card. My friend on the other hand is convinced that when they say credit card, they mean the card I have, so I'm confused as fuck.
>>
>>1265511
Visa Debit? That is a bit of a blurry line, maybe someone else will know more specifically about car rental in Germany. You could always call a rental agency beforehand and ask about Visa Debit, I'm sure they'd know the information.
>>
>>1265331
90's not bad it'll just take longer, but I guess that's not a problem
>>
>>1265341
anytime I do a thread it gets no more than 4 responses.
No stories, no meetups
>>
>>1265511
>>1265512
It's not a blurry line whatsoever. There is no credit line given to a person who has a Debit card. It is just a point-of-sale method. Visa and MC are simply banks similar to any other bank. Pulling money of you an account is dissimilar to giving a person a several thousands of dollars credit limit (ie damage to property being rented which has a high value).
A hotel room suite that has expensive antiques, making a deposit on a reservation, a sailboat you're going to take out on the water, a car worth $50k that can incur at a minimum hundreds of dollars in paint repair, these are things that businesses will place a hold on your card, and when you don't have adequate funds to hold, or you don't have a real credit line, you can encounter an inability to do anything like a person who has credit. You also lose some reverse protections against fraud, and it's not a good idea to EVER use a debit card that you use with your PIN, unless you are at your own bank entering that, and especially not with your primary or only bank account. A credit card company mails out a replacement charge, removes bad charges, and you're back in business able to pay your bills in a single day, and businesses know that. They don't want to be stiffed.
>>
>>1265547
Don't be autistic; I've stayed in certainly over 100 hotels around the world travelling for work, I always use a visa debit card, and I've never had any problem. Some hotels put a "hold" on a certain amount and release the funds a day or two after I leave.

Most credit cards don't have unlimited, or even very high, credit limits. The point is whether it's a debit or credit card, they have all your details.
>>
>>1265511
Please have a look at you card and tell us what it says. There literally are some colorful logos printed on it for a good reason . Is it V-pay? Is it Maestro? Is it VISA? Is it MasterCard?
>>
>>1265538
>It'll just take longer
Yeah, that's the main plan. We're not in any rush whatsoever to get to anywhere. We're taking our sweet time with being on the road. Thank you for your advice though! Got any NOLA tips?
>>
>>1265651
>Don't be autistic

VPay is a Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) debit card standard for use in Europe for example , issued by Visa Europe that is NOT accepted outside of SEPA.
>>
>>1263012
that one city where that one comedy about these two killers took place, brudge or something idk
protip: people will bully if you are fat american tourist
>>
My parents are wanting to travel within the US.

>Dad likes hiking, mom will tolerate it but doesn't love it
>Mom likes shops, food, and more leisurely things
>Both dislike big cities
>Both have difficulty with cold weather and would prefer temperatures over 65F
>Both are very cheap people and don't like to spend money

I'm trying to find a national park or an area in the US I think they should visit but I'm kind of overwhelmed. Any suggestions?
>>
>>1265695
Tell them to stay at a b&b near Portland. Tons of easy, beautiful hiking in the nearby Gorge/Columbia River valley, plenty of dayhikes; in the evenings, they can do shopping and restaurants in the city. Summers and early fall is very nice and warm, but it begins to cool off in late September. There's lots of wineries and shit moms like in the Gorge.
>>
Any suggestions on a good earplug for flights?

Has anyone wore compression socks before on flights? Does it work?
>>
So most (nearly all) countries won't issue visas or allow entry if your passport has less than 6 months and/or 2 pages.

What's the point of having them if they're useless?
>>
>>1266386
the last half year is for staying in that final country you visit.
it's used to prevent the situation of you entering a country and your passport getting outdated there. that would be unlawful for you to be there then, so it's basically a crime/felony prevention
>>
I want to become a guide on show around
>>1266366
what are the important things about making a profile?
I'm a guy
>>
>>1265909
I have had mixed results with compression socks.

Good ones seem to b helpful.

But some seem to have a tighter constriction at the top, and to actually hold blood in the lower extremities and make problems worse.

Buy compression socks far enough in advance that you can try them out, I guess.

Comfort and effectiveness of ear pugs seems to vary hugely by person. I like the purple foam ones made by Flents. But my wife finds them uncomfortable.
>>
Does anyone else get a helpless and sad feeling that they won't get to see every little nook and cranny of every single place in the whole world?

I always think about what I may be missing
>>
>>1264410
As all of South America loves USD, bring a healthy amount like $500-1000 in cash so if anything goes wrong you can still buy your way out of it.
>>
>>1264794
>Maybe a small local beer or whisky from your town

From your town is the key takeaway here. "American" stuff is everywhere, but stuff typical of your state or city or region probably is not.
>>
File: HAVEN'T BEEN EVERYWHERE.jpg (150KB, 590x769px) Image search: [Google]
HAVEN'T BEEN EVERYWHERE.jpg
150KB, 590x769px
>>1266390
The fact that you will never achieve your goal is no reason to lower your expectations.

Grasp, reach, heaven, etc.
>>
File: C6szHLdVoAQ_CVW.jpg (40KB, 911x562px) Image search: [Google]
C6szHLdVoAQ_CVW.jpg
40KB, 911x562px
If I buy tickets for a friend to fly in from a montreal airport, will they ask for the credit card used to purchase the ticket?

And how soon is it too late to book tickets for a flight, cause if you need passport info to buy the ticket I'm in trouble since they're still processing it
>>
Why is it that the bus station is full of niggers?
>>
>>1266507
They can check-in online and print their ticket or have it sent to their phone, so long as you give them all the information.

They'll need their passport details to check-in online and they have to show it when they board the plane, but not to buy the ticket. You do need to make sure that the name is the same on the passport as on the ticket you buy them.

So if this friend is a girl who you only know from here snapchat name, you need to re-think this plan.
>>
File: IMG_20170626_215120.jpg (6MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170626_215120.jpg
6MB, 3120x4160px
>>1263396
>>1263404
>>1263424
>>1263462
Piss poor picture but that's the way im planning on attaching it.
Carabiners are holding onto two of bag straps on each side of the bottom then again at the top.
Would it look suspicious if i taped the carabiners closed.
>>
What country is the easiest for a 23yr old Brazillian with college degree in Industrial Automation to move in?
I can speak English and Basic French
I want to leave this shithole
>>
>>1266927
You can't speak Portugese?
>>
>>1266928
Native language
>>
>>1266927
I'd say it's better to just ride around and check the vibes of different countries
>>
Whats the best website to get travel insurance off?
>>
I'm currently in Switzerland. I don't know where I'm sleeping tomorrow. Should I go to Vienna and Prague and just skip Budapest?
Basically where should I go next. Coming back to Germany at end of trip and have zero interest in Italy. Any hostels you guys recommend?
>>
Whats the best way to bring paper tickets with you when travelling
I need to carry a ticket with me for about 4 weeks and cant think of a good way to keep it safe
>>
>>1266927
Try your luck with Canada.

I mean, we take in uneducated Syrians/Eritreans/Indians of ambiguous background all the time, so I'm pretty sure a huehue with a degree would be a massive upgrade for this country.
>>
What city in the mediterranean has a good nightlife? Looking to go in october
>>
What are some good tour companies that go to Iran? I'm looking for something that caters more to young people (I understand alcohol is illegal but still).
>>
>>1266927
Australia, Canada, New Zealand
>>
>>1267378
Beirut
Tel aviv
Istanbul
Belgrade
The greek isles
your criteria is too wide imo
>>
I want to visit Brazil and maybe live there since my mum's brazilian and I have a fucktonne of family living in São Paulo.
I live in Perth, Western Australia and so flights are really expensive.
Will the current state of Brazil improve in the next 3-4 years after I finish my university degree?
Cheers
>>
>>1267410
Yes alright, I'm looking for a city in Italy, Spain or Portugal, not Rome or Florence
>>
Does anybody else find the women in the country/ethnicity area they're in get more attractive the longer they're there while women from their home/last country/ethnicity get less attractive?
>>
Looking for a general answer here, I know every place is different
Do hostels in Europe provide towels and shit.
Will they clean clothes for you?
>>
>>1267514
Yes.
Are you me?
>>
>>1267627
Some do, some don't. Some have a laundry room you can use.
>>
I'm planning a trip to Germany in December-January. I didn't intend on booking any hostels in advance, but I started looking today for hostels in each place I'm visiting to get an idea of the prices and availabilities. Many hostels are already booked out and many are coming up with one or two rooms left.

How is this possible? I know December is fairly busy because of Christmas, but its still the off-season for travelling. I was under the impression that hostels would be pretty dead and I'd be able to pick up bargains. Is it even possible to find a cheap hostel (no more than $30 a night) on the day instead of booking in advance?
>>
>>1267977
>but its still the off-season for travelling

Christmas market season is not an off-season for Germany.
>>
File: 1497374245_gdfzhdzh.png (339KB, 680x468px) Image search: [Google]
1497374245_gdfzhdzh.png
339KB, 680x468px
I'm currently applying for an Austrian housing Visa and one of the required documents is a proof of criminal record. Does anyone who has gone through the Visa application process know what that is and where I can get it?
>>
>>1268291
>housing Visa
What is a housing visa? You get a police check / criminal record check from the police. The instructions for your so-called "housing visa" will tell you the specific requirements. In some cases they want one from every country you lived more than 1 year in, for example.
>>
>>1268294
Im staying in country for more than 6 months for a study abroad program, so i need a student resident visa
>>
Any hotel booking sites that allow paypal? I want to book a hotel for late August, but I'm afraid that there won't be any empty rooms if I just show up there and book it that way, but I don't have a credit card.
>>
>>1268298
So a student visa; look at the website where you download the document. There will also be instructions for how to fill it out. Look at the instructions for that particular item. Do what it says - or just post the instructions here if there is something you don't understand. Try to be as specific as possible if you want help.
>>
>>1267977
Try Austria, it's not as busy as Germany, but yeah that's not suprising at all, December is a big travel month for Germany, try January, it's probably not packed at all
>>
>>1268317
pls respons
>>
Hey, I'm planning on going to Paris later this month (before you tell me not to go, pls, I've been and I love Paris). Never done it solo though. Can anyone recommend me hotels that are comfortable for solos but are not hostels? I don't too much care about the cost just don't recommend me the Ritz or anything. I just feel like Paris is such a typically romantic city and solo travelling there is weird
>>
>>1268651
Hundreds of thousands of visitors go to Paris every year on work trips. The only thing more annoying on /trv/ than the /pol/ nonsense shitting up every thread on Europe is the /r9k/ nonsense about traveling alone. You're not in Junior High anymore. No one is going to pick on you and call you Nigel No Friends. Grow up.
>>
>>1268652
I think what he was trying to say is that he has enough money to do better than hostels, but given that Paris has a reputation of romance, most real hotels might be designed with couples in mind.

In my own opinion, going-to-Paris anon should find himself a business hotel. Those are almost always meant for singles.
>>
Is there such a thing as staying at someone's house / apartment, paying accommodations, and have them tour guide me throughout the city and surrounding areas?
I want to go to either Japan or Korean but I don't want to be alone.
>>
>>1263012
I feel like taking a road trip from Virginia to Kentucky. What should I do and where should I do?
>>
I tough there was a thread about Sex tourism. Anyone knows where is the proper way to find information about it?
>>
File: vtmD61B07F06246024AB.jpg (108KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
vtmD61B07F06246024AB.jpg
108KB, 800x600px
I'm trying to visit the coast of Maine later this month, but want to avoid touristy or obnoxiously commercial hellholes, where should I check out? Like any good smaller villages where I can just chill out by the water?

Bonus points if it has a lighthouse
>>
>>1265695
Shenandoah National Park might fit your criteria fairly well
>>
>>1269347
The international sex guide forum
>>
Which arilines should I choose? Qatar, Turkish or Etihad? The price is almost similar and the flight is long 15h with one stop.
>>
If you're on an airplane, I know you're supposed to turn your phone off or on airplane mode. But can you just leave it on airplane mode to listen to music on your phone or take photos of your in-flight meal?
>>
File: logo-MU-120.png (20KB, 500x150px) Image search: [Google]
logo-MU-120.png
20KB, 500x150px
>>1270478
The answer could actually depend on your airline.

Most decent airlines are okay with you using your phone.

Cheaper airlines tend to be less agreeable. Just ask anyone who has flown with China Eastern.
>>
Whats a good city to spend two nights in thats close to olso? Been to Stockholm and copenhagen already. Thanking about Gothenburg or bergen
>>
>>1270478
I mean, at some point flight attendants will be seated just before take off. At worst just take it out then and start using it. Though I've never been on an airplane where I was told I couldn't do it
>>
>>1264706
>I'm an American staying with a couple different people in Germany (via couchsurfing) next month. What are some small gifts I could get in the US that aren't available in Germany?
Things not easily available in Europe are mexican/corn products, american nuts like black walnuts and pecans, local honies, famous cookies that kind of thing, esp if local to your town. Is there somewhere you are from with a famous craft product? Beef jerky (has to be bagged foods). Seasonal candy that is themed for halloween or christmas or whenever you are going, is not easily found overseas.
>>
>>1265093
>Sadly your chance of tasting real Cajun cuisine is slim to none, Nola has good gumbo, etouffee and all that, but no place and I mean no place has it like the locals do, it's just how it is, but the food in New Orleans is the best in the world hands down, but if you want, "holy shit I didn't know food could taste like this" food, you'll have to find a old person in the towns surrounding and pay them, if you can get it, buy sautéed snapping turtle, I'd take a meal of that than a Ruth Chris steak with the jumbo crab meat
This is just a load of poorfag nonsense.
New Orleans is filled with food snobs who have tasted the right way to make every traditional recipe and the touristed places are doing it right, trust me, or they wouldn't be critically and locally acclaimed both.
Go do your research for what you want to eat and try, and pick your favorites to try. Louisiana coast isn't boring either, but you you might think that if you didn't know what you were looking at. If you want a taste for that plantation style old times, you don't need to get far from the city and do the River Road area. It's lovely.
Explore this sitefor a start:
http://www.neworleansplantationcountry.com/

One thing not suggested to you is that boudin is a craft food really unique to your area of driving. Look at the boudain trail site:
http://www.cajunboudintrail.com/

Oh, and Ruth's Cris is a new orleans invention, but it is by no means indigenous food or should be enjoyed there given the other choices that can only be had there, but to compare turtle meat to that? That's silly. If you were to eat turtle meat, you'd do it in Cayman.
>>
>>1265909
>good earplugs
They're all uncomfortable after a couple of hours. Invest in over-the-ear noise cancelling earplugs that feel good on your head instead. Earplugs are great for reducing decibels that are at a dangerous level (concerts), but not disruptions/distractions that prevent sleeping, but noice cancelling that handles the noise entering through the skull behind the ear.

>compression socks
They do work, but you have to look really hard to find a pair that doesn't compress too much in areas you are large,whether being at the high end of the sock size range, or having muscular or fat calves. Try them out and be prepared to spend $40/pair by the time you are done.
>>1266389
I like the Sockwell brand for hitting all the things I needed and quality both.
>>
>>1270478
modern planes all have shielded cabins, and there has never bee na recorded case of mobile devices interfering with aircraft equipment

yes, they can detect it; but no it doesn't cause trouble

the real reason you arn't allowed is because people ignore flight attendants, yell at their mobiles, play music too loud etc
they are also worried about hacking, because theoretically business class travelers could be hit-and-run

>>1270119
I like turkish

>>1269347
there is a thread in the catalog, and at least two separate forums that are quiet established and credible

>>1269328
it's like you are describing couchsurfing, but don't know about couchsurfing.
are you trying to rustle jimmies anon?

>>1268651
paris is actually a really good place to solo, I've done it three times
when you get a hostel look for one that has a really good common room
nothing worse than when the dorms are better than the common room so nobody mixes

>>1268317
not that I know of anon, they want credit card to shield against guest damaging the hostel. generally
paypal is a headache for businesses
getting a credit card is pretty easy though, a debit card is even easier

>>1267627
europe is very mixed, nicer places almost always have towels but many charge a euro for renting one.
many provide body wash or soap
some have laundry facilities but IMO you are better using a local laundry

>>1267210
It's actually a pain in the ass, I've had paper wrecked more than once.
but I don't think it's necessary, as long as you have the details of the ticked the check in desk will print you a boarding pass

so just take a photo of your ticket, type the details somewhere, email either one of these to yourself

>>1267017
worldnomads are popular
the three biggest traps are
A. things excluded, typicaly vehicle accidents, pre-existing conditions
B. how quickly can they provide CASH for treatment, in the developing world this is vital
C. exess damages, often small damages and some items arn't covered
>>
Spending the weekend in krakow, but I feel sick and know I shouldn't go out. But it's Friday. What do I do? No one in my dorm is being very social either.
>>
>>1263012
I'm staying with in-laws in Germany for two weeks. I leave on Sunday and my German is really shitty, what am I in for?
>>
>>1271055
most people in northern germany speak english, and if you're with people you will be fine
>>
Hello guys, I'm autist from /r9k/ first time going fly with plain with ryanair. can I take my autist backpack if it's have right measurements to airplane instead of overhead locker bag or ryanair Jews will charge me with 50$?
>>
>>1263012
Any good general tips to avoid getting murdered or robbed while traveling? Most cities I've been to have seemed pretty run-down and shady. I wouldn't want to walk around by myself, even in the daytime. Is this any different elsewhere?
>>
>>1271168
I don't really get your question. But if your bag isn't conspicuously over the measurements, you'll be fine. If you have a suitcase you might (probably will) be asked to put it into the hull.

>>1271184
Go to less shit cities? Where are you from, anon?
>>
>>1271185
Well thank u. Still answered my question and I got what I wanted
>>
where do i go to get a visa to go to india ?
>>
>>1271191
I think this is the site you should go to:
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/

Though I must warn you, they claim to be affiliated with the Indian government, but the website's design looks like something you'd see on a very amateur blog. I have no idea if this is a fake website, or if this kind of quality is typical for a website from a third-world country.
>>
>>1271030
>couchsurfing
Wow, thank you.
Exactly what I am looking for.
>>
>>1271629
actually, couchsurfing is free.
Try trustroots as well - it's nicer, but smaller.
check out showaround and airbnb as well
>>
File: 1481294011622.jpg (80KB, 446x602px) Image search: [Google]
1481294011622.jpg
80KB, 446x602px
>>1263012
I've never lived anywhere but nebraska - the two places of come up with to move to are Alaska, and Montana. I'm thinking of spending some vacation time to go to Alaska to scout it out. The ideas so far are Fairbanks and Anchorage.

Is the internet shit in Alaska?
Does shipping take fucking forever to get up there?
What are taxes like?
Is land near town fairly cheap or is it boonies = cheap, city = fucking expensive?
Is summertime mosquito swarms a meme or is does it really become mosquitopacalypse over the summer months?
Will I be murdered by eskimos if I go to far out into the country?
>>
>>1272354
>Is the internet shit in Alaska?
Yes
>Does shipping take fucking forever to get up there?
Yes
>What are taxes like?
If anything it's more likely to be lower than most states, because they need to offer some kind of incentive for people to move there.
>Is land near town fairly cheap or is it boonies = cheap, city = fucking expensive?
City will probably be more expensive THAN the boonies, but overall it should be cheaper than those faggot states like CA or NY.
>Is summertime mosquito swarms a meme or is does it really become mosquitopacalypse over the summer months?
I dunno lol
>Will I be murdered by eskimos if I go to far out into the country?
That is if the seals and/or bears don't get to you first.
>>
>>1271626
Hardly looks legit so I have no idea. I really need help with this one though I want to go to tibet
>>
>>1272458
Does your country have an Indian embassy/consulate general? You could try there.
>>
>>1272448

To add to the taxes bit, I think Alaskans actually get some form of credit from the state's oil and gas profits.
>>
#fakenews
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/10/earths-sixth-mass-extinction-event-already-underway-scientists-warn

that's it. i'm taking my booked flights (there are 4 more left), afterwards i stop using anything that runs on fuel or gas. i've already been only walking and cycling with the occasional public transport, but only walking/running/cycling/hiking from here on.
>>
>>1265695
>>1265775
Portland is to expensive. Try Eugene

>great local food all over
>college town vibe near campus
>wineries nearby
>everything cheaper and less touristy than Portland
>>
>>1263012
What can i do alone in London after 6pm? I´m going in a couple days to stay with my cousin but she works 6-12.

I´m from a small city in the north of Spain so my outside hobbies are things like fishing, mountain biking... I don´t know what to do in big city, so other than walking and drinking, what can i do by myself after the museums close?
>>
Dumb question but I need to get it sorted. Do Skyscanner, Momondo and other fare searching sites only look for minimal prices, so if I book through them I buy actual airline tickets or do I buy some paper that I bought a ticket through some other 3rd party website? Can't word it better, I'm just worried I'm taking a greater risk than booking through the airliner website I intend to fly with.

Also, any experiences with Alitalia airline? What's the general consensus?
>>
>>1274278
The prices they're showing you are actually from yet another website.

So yes, your search started with Skyscanner/Momondo/etc., but should you actually choose to pursue the flight, you would be taken to another site, like Expedia, Exploretrip, etc.

No, you aren't buying tickets directly through the airline, but you are buying an itinerary through a third party. However, they give you all the exact same information that you would need to get your actual tickets.

If you're worried about being fucked over, I won't deny that it happens to some people, but it's not as great of a risk as you're thinking.

If it fills you with any confidence, I once accidentally booked a flight with a third party website that had REALLY terrible reviews. And nothing bad happened to me. I got my plane tickets just fine, and I was able to check-in through the actual airlines themselves, and I got on all four flights just fine.
>>
>>1274369
So I don't actually own the ticket, I just own the reservation for that ticket? I'm curious, how can they fuck me over? Besides the flight getting cancelled, do I get my money back and can they tell me to switch to a different date or anything like that?

I'd personally just go with the flow and learn from experience, but I'm planning this with my gf and she's "heard about some nasty stories about flights being cancelled and people got fucked over so I'd rather just book directly" etc.
>>
>>1274379
>So I don't actually own the ticket, I just own the reservation for that ticket?
It's more like the third party is buying tickets on your behalf. You still get a(n) e-ticket/itinerary/PNR number, your name is written in the airline's databases, etc. You do own the ticket, but it was sold to you via third party. You are the third party's customer. You are the airline's customer in an indirect way. How does this make a difference? Well...

>I'm curious, how can they fuck me over?
One thing about third-party booking is that if you have a problem, they might try to pass the buck on you.

Example:
>Hi there, my last name is spelled wrong on the itinerary. Can I get that corrected please?"
>Sorry, you have to call the airline.
>Hello airline, can I get my last name corrected, please?
>No, you booked through a third-party site, tell them to fix it
And round and around it goes. However, shit like this rarely happens, and when it does, it's usually a shitty booker, or a shitty airline.

>Besides the flight getting cancelled, do I get my money back and can they tell me to switch to a different date or anything like that?
I'll say this now: I've never heard of being told to switch dates. I don't know if that's a thing.

Flight cancellations are the ones that can get messy. Again, more buck-passing. That's why trip cancellation insurance exists. It's better to lose $100 than your entire flight's value.
>>
>>1267977
December-January is actually the most packed season in germany for budget traveling.
>kids get 14-21 days of school holidays starting around the 20. December so do teachers
>university semester ends at the 23. december (most earlier)and the next won't start before february
>a lot of business close over the holidays for 2 and up to 12 weeks and give their employees free extra paid days off/do a 50:50 split on it
>everyone who can avoid the 17 December - 7 January high season days will take a few days off before them or after and go to places

So you have a entire country on the road, countless visitors from abroad to enjoy the christmas markets or get the winter in germany fairy tale pics...

Book your shit right now lad.
>>
>>1274386
Okay, that makes much more sense. Thank you, I appreciate it.
>>
Best places to eat in KC as these kinds of food:
>Indian
>Korean
>Japanese
>French
>Chinese
>>
A what age do you become some kind of creep for backpacking alone and go to hostels. Suddenly I feel kind of old.
>>
If at all possible should I try and travel to the nearest international airport if trying to get the cheapest tickets? I only live near a regional airport, but I could chink bus to NYC for 30$ and go to JFK for example.
>>
>>1275304
You don't hang out at the airport anymore to wait for deals, we have the internet and stuff like
http://www.secretflying.com/usa-deals/
>wait for deals from JFK
>book and go there for $30 to get your flight
>repeat
>>
>>1275307
Thats what I am saying, will the cheapest deals for international flights be from the closest international flight center or should I also include my own airport and other nearby airports?
>>
>>1275311
It's almost always the large hubs. You can try your regional airport (some airline might want to push their connecting flights and throw in the flight for nothing) but usually it will be far more expensive then getting a cheap ride to a hub.
>>
>>1275313
Ah, I can see that. Can shave 500$ off the flight tickets and a headache by going light on luggage and bussing up. Graduating at the end of the year and I wanted to see if I could get a little plan in for traveling.
>>
>>1275116
I think appearance is more of a factor than age itself.

>receding hairline
>prescription glasses with lenses that take up half of your face
>grey hair on your chest
>wearing a shirt that generously exposes said hairy grey chest
>socks with sandals
>excess wrinkles (almost comparable to a meth addict who hasn't had a drink of water in days)
>shirts tucked into pants

No one cares if you're 30 or 40 or even 50, as long as you don't look like the doctor from Back to the Future.
>>
File: 1500132906397.jpg (144KB, 750x985px) Image search: [Google]
1500132906397.jpg
144KB, 750x985px
When I apply for a residence permit/Visa to Austria, do I need to mail my original passport to the embassy? I'm leaving around August 1st and I'm afraid I won't get my passport back in time
>>
File: psychedelic bear.jpg (476KB, 500x583px) Image search: [Google]
psychedelic bear.jpg
476KB, 500x583px
Where can I rent a car in Croatia (Split area) without a credit card?
>>
I'm going to vietnam for 3 weeks with my girlfriend in december. We want to go to halong bay and after that we don't really know where we want to go yet.

We were thinking of traveling north and middle vietnam because we think also doing south would mean we would be traveling too much to enjoy our vacation.

Any tips, places to see, places too avoid, food to eat?
>>
>>1275525
I visited vietnam a few year ago from north to the middle of the country.

keep in mind, you need to negotiate every prices and ignore people soliciting. While negotiating, if you are US citizen say you are brit or Canadian or Australian it will get you better prices (if you are french say you are from Switzerland or Belgium). Your hotel front desk can help you book some tours or transportation but remember to check the prices with competition...

Regarding halong bay, it was not so good in my opinion real tourist factory, try to get a 2 night stay with kayaking (not the same as the first day) during second day. Terrestrial halong bay is nice.

You can go north from Hanoi using a night train to a mountain city (I need to look for the name of the city), from there you can book trek tour in the mountains and sleep at locals home, once again do not fall for offer from solicitors.

Going to the center of the country hue / Danang is nice, lots of stuff to see there, DMZ, temple,... (once again use night train).

Regarding street food if you are into it go to the crowded places only. Since there is a LOT of places to eat try to get a specialized book about restaurant.
>>
Where do you guys make travel friends? Planning a graduation trip, but none of my friends are into it or would make the plans needlessly complicated. Or can I get by solo traveling and talking with other local people etc? Case by case basis?
>>
>>1275621
try to go to hostels and meet other fellow traveler there. Where do you plan to go ?
>>
What are some good hostels in Budapest?
>>
What's the best spot in Italy to relax and flirt with qt local girls?

I'm a burger and I've already been to all the major Italian cities except Napoli when I was a teenager. Any cool places where I can be Chad by the pool and get grils?
>>
>>1275622
I live on the east coast of the U.S and I am a student graduating at the end of this year with some debt but pretty secure job prospects next summer. (Teacher licensure, but schools in the U.S dont start contracts with teachers until the summer before the school year starts) so I am looking for a reasonably affordable trip I could do on 2,000 USD or so. I have been working on planning cheap airfare and comparing prices for destinations.

Could snag tickets to southeast asia for 650$ roundtrip. China/Korea/Japan are about a 300$ markup for the flight tickets plus would cost more. Putting off south America until I am older since it would be more fun to go with a family there on vacation. Half looking for fucking strangers in a foreign country and half-looking for some cool experiences culturally and beautiful sites to see.

Sorry if a rambling post.
>>
>>1275656
Buy a boat. Bitches love boats.
>>
If a buy a bottle of water or something in the duty free/past security will I be able to take it on the plane?
>>
>>1275689
yes but if your get something expensive make sure your next stop is the last, some airport during transit makes you pass security again. I remember a guy making a scene in germany because he had to leave his botle of expensive wiskey behind
>>
>>1275693
I can imagine that lol, thanks
>>
>>1263255
Sweden also charge a fee since five years back, I'm pretty sure Denmark does as well. It's not as expensive as in the US though, one semester is usually about $5000 but can be less in lesser known universities.
>>
>>1264673
Yes just put the first place on it. I've been there like five times and they never asked about it unless I wrote a friends address and they just wanted confirm who I was staying at.

You do need an outgoing ticket though. But just buy something cheap to Korea or something and cancel it after you've entered Japan
>>
>>1275689
>>1275693
you need to get your expensive stuff sealed in a duty free bag, and then it's safe till your last stop (though it's easy to forget that crap on the plane)

note that you can bring your own water bottle through security from outside. just make sure it's totally empty, and security can properly see it and see through it. don't ask any questions if you can bring it, just lay it in the boxes you get at security, lay it next to your liquids or the contents of your pocket or whatever, do not place it on top of others.

bigger airports have refill stations for you.
>>
>>1275504
You do whatever you are told to do (you probably do need to mail your passport in general).
If what you are told is not reasonable, like now, call the embassy/consulate for advice, and do what you are told to do.

>>1275511
Do you speak any Slavic language? If not, best to forget it.

>>1275621
case by case
>>
There was a thread for questions like this, but it seems to have disappeared. Precautions to take if banging questionable sluts? Potential bareback, so they could get pregnant. Ways to avoid them finding it out/blackmail.
>>
What would be the unusual places you would recommend as worth-visiting in Roma?
>>
>>1275774
fake name, a fake phone number and don't be a social media using faggot.
Don't stick your dick into crazy but if you do make sure they can't track you down.
>>
I'm thinking of going to India, but I think my question can easily apply to any large country.

Being that the country is so large, what would be the best strategy for accommodation?

When I travel to smaller countries, I usually stick to the same hotel throughout the trip, but I just don't see this being viable in a larger country.

Would it be a better idea to just not book a hotel at all, and just do 1-3 nights per city/town/area?
>>
>>1275780
So keep one legit wallet, and one fake wallet for when going out and wanting to bang sluts? Guessing just a general burner phone for a trip would be the best idea?
>>
>>1275783
You should be doing both of those things anyway, not just for fucking & chucking, but for general travel-related reasons.

>multiple wallets
If you get mugged, you might want to have a dummy wallet handy so you don't lose all of your money; leave *some* money in your dummy wallet to make it look convincing.

>burner phone
Lots of people use a second phone for international calls. Also, most burner phones look like crap, so it can even deter thieves.
>>
>>1275787
Ah, so always keep the legit wallet on me? Was concerned about what I would do if I was stopped by the police and didn't have a legit identification. Didn't want to be calling for the guard in a jailcell at the end of the night. For burner phone, I was thinking of just getting the step down of the chinkshit I have already. Little cheaper, still looks the same just less gear under the hood of the phone. (LeEco S3 the step-down from my LePro3). They can load multiple sims as well.
>>
>>1275693
Me and a friend once drank like half a bottle of vodka on a layover in Athens not thinking we'd have to go through security again. Thought fuck it, we'll put it in our bag and if they take it whatever. It obviously set the scanner off and when the security agent pulled it out she just shrugged and put it back in the bag and let us through. That's probably not the norm though.
>>
How easy is it to travel across Singapore's borders? The reason I ask is because I'm comparing plane ticket prices, and it would be considerably cheaper to fly to Singapore than to fly to either Malaysia or Indonesia. However, Singapore is such a small country, so I would be interested in branching out to those two neighboring countries. Is it easy enough to take a bus to Malaysia, or a boat to Indonesia?
>>
>>1275875
I can recommend Indonesia for easy women if they aren't veiled. Christians girls in a muslim country = mega sluts for foreigners. If you take them with you to Bali they would probably do just about anything since most of the ones that live around Jakarta etc dream of going there. I know this doesn't answer your specific question.
>>
>>1275875
A bus to Johor Bahru, Malaysia from Singapore is easy, quick, frequent and cheap. But it sucks. Go further on to Penang (curry man).
You can also get ferries to Bintan or Batam, Indonesian beach islands that are pretty poor but easy going.
>>
>>1263012

How do i get a job in Europe?

i live in Australia and i want to move and live the rest of my life in Europe
>>
>>1275923
You don't want to move to Europe belive me.
>>
>>1275945

Are you one of those dumb people that people are telling me about?
>>
>>1275923
Have a degree and skills for something in demand. Or marry a European.
>>
>>1275923
Hey we can change life, i live in Sweden and would love live down under
>>
File: 20140806-221430-80070266.jpg (181KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
20140806-221430-80070266.jpg
181KB, 768x1024px
>>1263269
Ari shaffirs skeptic tanks latest episode he is talking to Rolf potts the author of vagabonding
>>
>>1265690
In Bruges.
>>
>>1275962
>Ari Shaffir
Isn't that the jewish comedian who does racist stunts?
>>
>>1275116
I nearly always see a few people in the thirty to seventy year old bracket when I stay at hostels, sometimes a couple, sometimes single. I've never thought it weird or creepy and so long as you don't dress like an /r9k/ autist like >>1275338 points out I'm sure you'll be fine.
>>
I'm planing a trip that's gonna last about week with one of my friends, our plan is to go somewhere in Eastern Europe (or the Baltic countries)
Do any of you guys have a good proposal, for a city in those areas to spend around a week?
>>
Me and the gf are flying over to Prague for a week, anything major to see? anything unique and exciting?
>>
I am going to a weekend vacation at Rome, land Friday morning and leave Monday noon.

Is Rome alive on the weekend? what should I expect to miss and what should I look forward to?

I'll be staying at the center.
>>
File: Untitled.png (25KB, 249x105px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
25KB, 249x105px
What's a good coffee press/maker for backpacking ?
I'm looking for something small to carry and not too expensive, say around £20 - £25
>>
>>1276678
nescafe and the cafe on the corner
>>
>>1276714
>nescafe and the cafe on the corner

What does this post mean?
>>
File: prague mini golf.jpg (264KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
prague mini golf.jpg
264KB, 1200x630px
>>1276613
A quirky hidden gem thing to do? Search for "Prague Golf and Games"

Basically it's mini golf with complimentary beers in a psychedelic styled environment.

Lots of fun man. Enjoy.
>>
If you're backpacking and using hostels, where do you keep the backpack during the day?
>>
Is one hour enough for a layover, or would it be cutting it close?
>>
File: 1435968543206.jpg (140KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1435968543206.jpg
140KB, 680x680px
Hungarians, how the FUCK do I get here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%93pusztaszer_National_Heritage_Park ?
>>
>>1276678
Aeropress is the smallest you can get to reliably do a cup of coffee probably, but you would need to carry filters with you. You could also do a pour-over, but that might be limited by the size of the cup you bring.. A french-press would be ideal, you could store stuff inside of the press when not in use so its very convient on space, but then it becomes a break-risk. A small bialetti moka pot could do the trick if you like dark coffee, but then you have the added weight of it being metal.

There is no good choice here I dont think, but I think the bialetti would probably be the best since you don't need anything else with it. (you could ruin your filters out traveling due to rain/pack getting weight and then wouldn't be able to get a restock)
>>
What are some places where people are generally content, friendly, and relaxed? Australia is described like this frequently, but is it true?
>>
>>1276762
They usually have lockers, if they can't keep your stuff after you check out you can try lockers at train stations
>>
>>1270478
>you're supposed to have your phone on airplane mode
>can you leave it on airplane mode?

???
>>
>>1276931
Where are you now? I can send you the Google Maps link then.
Google Maps is pretty good in Hungary.

If you are in Budapest, get to Nyugati railway station (the one next to WestEnd mall). Buy food before you arrive, buy enough food for half a day at least.
Anyway, at Nyugati, get an IC (InterCity) type of train to Kistelek.
Around the time when it should arrive to Kistelek according to Google Maps, switch on your GPS. The announcements on the train are incomprehensible for us Hungarians, too, we just look at the signs at the station and our phones' maps if we don't know the area. (Or ask MULTIPLE people.)

At Kistelek, you get off the train. At the other side of the station will be the bus to the Ópusztaszer park. You cannot miss it. Right in front of the train station is the bus stop.

Train tickets and IC seat reservation you have to buy in advance, before boarding the train. Bus ticket you can buy on the bus (just have some coins or small notes on you). Make sure to ask the driver for the timetable back (point at the place where your watch would be, and point in the direction of the train station), or check Google again.
Hitchhike to Kistelek if you get stuck.

What's wrong with google maps?

tl;dr Google Maps!
>>
>>1277305
>What's wrong with google maps?
Sometimes they're terrible for driving directions.

>literally been told to do a U-turn in a place where U-turns are illegal
>tried to make me take exits & routes that are only for buses or commercial vehicles
I'm not too fond of programs that try to make me break the law.
>>
>>1271030
>modern planes all have shielded cabins, and there has never bee na recorded case of mobile devices interfering with aircraft equipment
>yes, they can detect it; but no it doesn't cause trouble
>the real reason you arn't allowed is because people ignore flight attendants, yell at their mobiles, play music too loud etc
>they are also worried about hacking, because theoretically business class travelers could be hit-and-run
This is all made up.
There was a fear that someone could interfere with flight communications, and the most vulnerable time for a plane is during liftoff. This is also a time if you were ignoring the flight crew, or had wires going around, or simply not prepared to jump up and leave the plane for evacuation...you'd be a problem. This is why larger electronics are banned during takeoff, and tray tables up.

No, they don't give a shit about hackers bothering business class passengers, ROFL. You're on your own to protect your own data, just like always. Go to DEFCON and watch the wall of shame to understand how stupid even the smartest people are, but that's not the airlines problem.

Since all recent data shows cellphone usage is safe for the airplane communications, airlines are in a hard position to demand airplane mode and keep passengers happy who are smart, and this is where the FAA won't step in really to enforce it one way or another here, so the flight crew reigns supreme. You obey what they say or you're combative and a risk, and if they want to have police meet the gate, even turn around to the gate because you ignored them, some United video isn't going to scare them. That chinese dude? He defied them.

Airplane mode means you can use it safely in the air without sending signals out. If your music is downloaded already and doesn't require a connection to verify acct info or such, yes, you should be able to listen to your music inflight. Good airlines have charger ports, and free wifi, an app for you to listen to theirs
>>
File: 1391031724916.gif (643KB, 293x289px) Image search: [Google]
1391031724916.gif
643KB, 293x289px
>>1277305
Thanks for responding buddy, I was thinking of traveling from Budapest.
>>
Ok, so I figured out where to get a travel visa for india blah blah. Now I am going to Nepal. Is there some agency that helps you out with a private travel person person that lives out there that can help you get around/translate/give you the REAL experience of living there? I will be there for a month or 2 is the plan. Thanks.
>>
>>1277502
>I figured out where to get a travel visa for india
Care to share what that's like? I'm interested in knowing, too.
>>
>>1277551
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html

literally their government website evidently. Shits terrible.
>>
Where is the safest place to keep your passport? I have heard conflicting responses to this question.

>Keep it in your hotel room's safe
>Don't trust the hotel, the staff has access to your safe
>Keep it on you at all times
>Don't keep it on you, what if you get mugged or pickpocketed?
>>
Going to Norway on Wednesday. Can I still pay with cash in most places? Internet has some conflicting information, a lot of websites say that the Norwegian banks are trying to get rid of cash money quickly.

Any Norwegians here to answer my question?
>>
First time solo traveler. Can't decide
Prague, Budapest or Warsaw?
Or I just go to Amsterdam get myself high af?
>>
>>1278475
Budapest and Prague are great cities to walk around and it doesn't matter so much if you get lost. The cities themselves are also just great sights to see, even though Prague gets really crowded and attracts some pretty low-tier tourists in summer.

Warsaw is a lively place, but it can be a frustrating place to navigate for a first time visitor.
>>
>>1278497
Thanks for the reply. Am going mid September if that changes anything.
Something that is mandatory to do if I go there?
>>
>>1278436
bumpin'
>>
>>1264782
Not German but Dutch, give some typical American snacks. There's a shitload of American snacks you can't get in western europe.
>>
>>1278475
Budapest ftw.
If you want to visit any polish cities, go to krakow or lublin instead.
>>
>>1278234
I have a spcial pocket on the inside of the back of my coat.
0 chance of pickpocketing, always safe
>>
>>1278234
I'm going to build some thigh strap hidden wallet thing. Might post results later.
>>
Is theft really this much of a problem?

I'm slowly planning my first proper trip on bicycle and i'm not sure whether should i take my proper DSLR or $50 canon 350d with 50mm lens that's even cheaper than 350d body. I really don't want to lose my main DSLR.
>>
Is there anything, ANYTHING to do in Iowa?
>>
>>1278714
I've taken my 650D with my L lens to some pretty naff areas and I've had no problem. Just be smart. If you know you're not going to be using it for awhile, put it away in a bag and padlock it up to prevent getting pick pocketed. Where do you plan on going?
>>
>>1278736
Hungary, through Slovakia.
>>
redpill me on Ibiza. is it worth spending a week there?
>>
>>1265298
depends what you want from that forum, i guess. what are you looking for?
>>
>>1278436
Of course you can pay with cash in most places
In Stockholm there are dorm restaurants that don't accept it, I can imagine it'll be the same in Norway
>>
Planning to go somewhere in the Balkans in late October. Any recommendations for a one week trip? I have my eyes on Croatia but also curious about Albania. I just want to go somewhere a bit warmer were it's not so expensive compared to Northen Europe where I live.
>>
>supposedly, definition of travelling is basically "to see nice things, to eat nice things"
>i only care about seeing things as far as watching people of different cultures living in their different cities
>never understood how one could "enjoy" seeing huge ass metal spike in paris or whatever
>don't care about "interesting" food unless it's something i'm actually interested in, and that's rare occasion
>the only thing that truly interests me in travelling is the travel itself, destination is almost meaningless unless it's something really extremely unique and interesting like Chernobyl or Japan, or unless you can actually "do" things there like skiing in the mountains
>went to Netherlands once, got one of their fancy bicycles and biked around for a month, enjoyed interactions and watching people do things in general, never even bothered to google what kind of intersting things could i see there

am i somehow unfit to "travel"? How do you guys enjoy your travelling?
>>
File: sacramento.jpg (348KB, 1680x500px) Image search: [Google]
sacramento.jpg
348KB, 1680x500px
>>1263012
I am trying to decide if I should visit Sacramento with my family for a weekend. I have heard good things about it and I have up until now kind of neglected it despite it being the capitol, but I don't know if it is actually worth it to visit. I have checked wiki-travel but they tend to leave important things out. It looks good for history and government but half of my family isn't into that kind of stuff and I heard the night life is good but again, half of my family can't do that. Is there anything else in Sacramento worth visiting? I'm generally interested in low key things like sitting in coffee shops, markets, and visiting neat bookstores as well as architecture. My second choice is San Francisco but I have already visited there a few times.
>>
>>1279060
>How do you guys enjoy your travelling?
By convincing myself that it's better than working. And I'm pretty damn well convinced.
>>
>>1279060
This is how I approach travelling; although I am a huge autist who wants to recreate that LOTR mystical adventure feel as much as possible.

I was telling a friend my plans to visit bumfuck nowhere parts of Japan for hiking and he didn't 'get' it. Kept going on about "Ugh, you're romanticizing travel. What's the point if you get there and don't find anything?" and just couldn't understand that there isn't anything to find.. I just want to explore and appreciate the nature.
He's the sort of person who only wants to visit places like NYC, Paris, etc.
>>
I planned to spend 4 weeks in california next month, but I still want to visit friends on the east coast.
What's the cheapest way to travel from coast to coast ?

I almost took a bus ticket which is stupid because it's non stop 3days ride.. A flight may costs a bit more but it's only a few hours long from what I saw.
So, any tip ?
>>
File: 000.jpg (79KB, 1000x637px) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
79KB, 1000x637px
>>1279558
When you're in the USA for only 4 weeks you can't afford to waste your precious time on a cross country bus journey. You probably think bus travel is a great way to see the country but the Greyhound takes the boring interstate highways where everything looks the same. A highway in Wyoming looks the same as one in Kentucky.

Secondly you're not even saving money by taking the bus. Think of all the money you'll be spending on over-priced gas station junk food over those 3 days (because that will be your only option). Don't be a cheap-skate. Pay the extra $20 and get the flight instead.
>>
>>1279643
Thanks, you just said it all.
I'll choose the chill roadtrip when I have my own car I guess.
>>
>>1279051
Southern Croatia if you haven't been yet and if you are into beach holidays.
Bosnia (Sarajevo/Mostar and the mountains around Sarajevo) if you're into mountains and city holidays.
>>
File: Babou.png (124KB, 360x327px) Image search: [Google]
Babou.png
124KB, 360x327px
Going to Costa Rica, got a place rented, but the rental folks say they can only give me GPS coordinates for the place, as it is outside of town and there is no address, per se.

Does this make a lick of sense?

Just outside Jaco, if that makes a difference.
>>
>>1279060
If you enjoyed it, you did it right.

Only an absolute moron would design their travels to meet somebody else's expectations.

Each to his own. Travel on, bro.
>>
>>1278714
Camera related note -- I see the SA is now going to b requiring cameras to be taken out of the bag and runt through screening on their own, like laptops are, in the US. Don't know if that will be the standard anywhere else, and it does not sound like something you couldn't cope with if it surprised you at the airport -- but mentioning t here for the Hell of it.
>>
>>1279060
I personally enjoy visiting buildings, I love old buildings with lots of history and unique designs. Eating food is also quite nice, gotta eat some pizza in Rome or waffles in Brussels. No need to overdo anything however.

If you enjoyed the journey that's cool too, no one's judging you for not finding some old buildings interesting.
>>
>>1280157
This is still 4chan, somebody will judge him...
>>
>>1280144
yes. most adresses in costa rica are informal, eg 4th house on the block 5 blocks north of the church
>>
>>1280162
4chan doesn't end on /b/ though. it seems like i'm not judged so far.

>>1280147
Sure, that's a given. It's not really trying to meet somebody else's expectations (i do appreciate my kinda carefree way of doing things), i just want to hear other ways of thinking about the topic, other mindsets. Who knows, maybe i can apply this "see things" way of traveling to my future trips and have more fun?
>>
I'm seriously considering permanently moving to Germany from the USA.

I'm a US citizen. Master's degree in mechanical engineering with 3 years of industry experience as an engineer. Clean criminal history and savings. No knowledge of German language but obviously willing to learn.

Anybody have suggestions? I'm looking to live a middle class life in a large or medium sized German city
>>
Best beaches in Thailand in November/December to chill of a few days?
>money is not a matter
>decent nightlife in the area is a plus (comfy bars..) but no lad tour destinations

Any ideas?
>>
>>1280470
why woukd you work for less pay and higher taxes?

i think you will be sorely disappointed
>>
>>1280172
>it seems like i'm not judged so far.

I'm judging you in my mind...
>>
>>1280165
Wild. Do you know by chance if rental cars tend to have a GPS, then?
>>
>>1280491
Jesus Christ you're retarded, poor decision. Get rich in the US. You don't even understand German, shits gonna suck homie. It isn't all what you make it out to be.
>>
>>1280491
Because the US is a clusterfuck and quickly fracturing. I'm also not white and we have a government that rose to power through my dehumanization in the media which effectively makes everything an uphill battle for me. Is rather live comfortably in a country where my humanity is respected
>>
>>1268651
>>1269328
>>1275116

piggy backing off these, if I were to travel alone, what would be the easiest way to, for example, split accommodations with one or a few people for one or more nights? Also general apps/advice/ways to meet strangers who are also travelling. As someone who's never gotten on a plane before, and never been to a country where they speak a foreign language, I wouldn't mind finding a few anglophones in similar situations. and ty to the anon who mentioned couch surfing, just checked out that app and it seems #cool.
>>
>>1263012
>book flight to DC roundtrip
>$120 for return leg
>need to change the return leg for the next day
>$200 change fee
>if I cancel the return leg i get no refund but can buy a new return leg
>new leg is $85
>saved $115

fucking airline fees
>>
I live in The Netherlands(I'm not Dutch) but I have never once visited the countries surrounding the country. I want to do a few short trips(2-3 days) to cities in Belgium when I find time to do them. I have done my research about the better places like Brugge and I know that I should avoid Brussel. Are there cities in Belgium that you guys really recommend me to visit?
>>
Have my first ever flight booked next week. I'll have a two hour stopover before the second leg of my flight.

When I check in and print a boarding pass does this include both legs of the flight or do I have to check in again during the stopover and print boarding pass for the second flight?
>>
>>1280954
>better places
>like Brugge
It's _very_ touristy. Still nice, but it feels pretty artificial by now. Go, but keep that in mind.

>Vlaanderen
Antwerpen is good, Gent is great. Leuven is fun in a trashy way as soon as the students return (middle September, thereabouts), but definitely not worth 2-3 days.
Anything else can be skipped, IMO.
t. Mecheleir

>Wallonie
Luik is fun, but only if you have a car to go into the countryside. This goes for most towns/cities in Wallonia, if I'm honest.
Namen is fun. Dinant is cute.
Do *not* go to Charleroi.
>>
File: 1360980189778.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1360980189778.gif
1MB, 320x240px
How do I approach German train lines? I want to travel from Hamburg to the German Tank Museum (https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Hamburg/German-Tank-Museum) and I'm worried I'll get stuck in between one of the transfer spots.

Any advice?
>>
>>1281089

German train system has always driven people to their destination, willing or not.
>>
File: 1426226781327.jpg (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1426226781327.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
>>1281108
yes but, according to the map I'd need to take 2 or 3 trains. Do these trains run every hour or so? Do I need to worry about certain trains running only at certain hours?
>>
>>1281109

just be an annoying dick and ask people along the way

platforms can change, the right train can appear but be mislabelled because it goes to another city as the last stop or something

regional trains are for commuters, not tourists, so it can be kinda hairy to navigate purely from google maps
>>
Why is reggea the mandatory hostel lobby music? I don't hate it but it get tiresome
>>
What's generally easier to adapt to when crossing timezones: going "back" (eg from GMT+6 to GMT+2), or going forward (eg from GMT+2 to GMT+6). Asking because my next vacation is the first time I'm crossing timezones (to Iran, which is 2h30m ahead in timezone)
>>
>>1281163
in my experience, going forward was much easier. granted the timing of the flight helped.

i left at 4pm EST and arrive in rome at 8a the next day. Felt no jet lag.
coming home was much worse. left germany at 5a, arrived home 5pm EST, had some major jet lag for a few days (falling asleep at 6pm waking up at 3am etc)
>>
>>1280989
Alright brah thanks, gonna check those places
>>
How do I protect my head against the sun without looking like a tourist?
>>
>>1281266
Do the same thing as locals.
>>
im going to go to murica for 11 days

need like a prepaid card with 2/3gb data.

any americans know what i should get? can i get one there? what provider (if any) should i get it from?
>>
>>1263118
I'm from Innsbruck, Austria and I can only tell, without having seen an awful lot of the world, that Vienna has higher quality of life than all other places I've been to excluding Innsbruck (here it also depends on whether you like a bigger city or nature more).

For university it was 400€/semester for EU citizens and I think double that for non-EU citizens. Whether you can get in depends mostly only on the subject (there are entrance exams for medicine and psychology, for most STEM subjects there is an orientation semester concluding with a test), only for medicine I think are foreigners tested according to more stringent criteria.
>>
>>1263125
>Innsbruck was subpar
Hey that's my hometown. What didn't you like about it?
>>
>>1281346
...totally different person, I actually want to move to Innsbruck at one point. That backdrop!
>>
Is there a way to get around the requirement that all US citizens need to be in a tour group to travel to Iran?
I could potentially get an EU passport, but will that make a difference seeing as I am still a US citizen?
If there isn't any way around it, what is the best tour of Iran to do?
>>
>>1263118
>Leiden
Hah. I'm amused by this, as I am a native from Leiden.
Good choice though, but what do you particulary like about Leiden yourself?
>>
What websites do you recommend for seeing rental prices?

I want to visit Moscow for at least 3 months, and i'm hoping i can do it while only paying 300-400AUD for accommodation per month.
>>
Hey guys, due to being short on time before classes start again this fall I don't have too many flight options home from Mallorca, considering the dates I'm considering. I found one pretty good route, which involves Prague airport. Problem is that I only have 45 minutes between flights. I'll arrive in Prague from Palma, then 45 minutes to my next flight which will take me to my hometown in Sweden. Can I make it or is there a big chance I miss my flight back home?
>>
>>1281770
I just use Airbnb everywhere as it eliminates bond and is easily understood but generally you'll need to focus on the local rental sites. Beware though, not all counties will allow forigeners to simply rent a house in their country. Sweden for example requires you to have a tax number to do so, no idea about russia.
>>
>>1280470
Been to Germany? Take time and holiday there for a month, see if you still like it.
>>
File: image.jpg (98KB, 487x528px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 487x528px
>>1277552
It looks like a fucking geocities page.
>>
>>1276982
Everywhere is like this to some people, depends what you're into. I was never content in Australia and I moved to Sweden where everyone seems to be what you described.
Try it out, get a slavery visa and give it a go. But unless you're kiwi or very qualified, don't get too attached.
>>
File: Balkans.png (916KB, 1281x709px) Image search: [Google]
Balkans.png
916KB, 1281x709px
Going to Balkans for 8 days. Do you guys have any tips or suggestions? Also would Kosovo-Serbia border be a problem,should i enter Kosovo from Montenegro?
>>
>>1282263
are you a 10/10 german blonde?
>>
>>1282275
unfortunately not
>>
When choosing a tour operator for Bhutan, can you literally pick any of the hundreds of operators from the Bhutanese Tourism website, or do you have to pick one that's willing to deal with your nationality?
>>
File: trail-35.jpg (206KB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
trail-35.jpg
206KB, 700x800px
>>1263012
Is the Vango Trail 35 a good backpack for long term backpacking?
>>
What are some not as obvious must haves to bring with you during a trip?
>>
>>1281770
I always use Air BnB when I go to Russia, always a month or more at a time. 3 months would be perfectly fine, next time I'm there I'm going to ask my host about 6 month stay discounts.

There's a website called Avito.ru its good for buying/selling/renting but you better know Russian

Also as far as "registering your visa" it's nonsense, don't even worry about it. Just stay where you want
>>
File: IMG_0878.jpg (180KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0878.jpg
180KB, 1000x1000px
>tfw once a year one week paid vacation
How often do you travel per year?
What was the longest trip you've ever undertaken?
>>
>>1282583
Wristwatch
First aid kit
Metal spoon
Wet wipes
Small towel (hand/face/gym towel)
Pen
Notebook (the paper kind, not a computer)
Compass
Selfie stick

I realize some of these items may sound a bit weird to many people, and that last one may even seem contentious, but I can explain why I would recommend each and every one of them.
>>
>>1282975
What's the spoon for?
>>
>>1282982
1. For eating ice cream (the kind that come in pints, like Häagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry's)
2. To open non-twisting beer bottles with (you could bring a bottle opener, but hey, if you've already got the spoon)

I fully realize that there are alternative solutions, but it's nice to have control in these situations.

>why not just buy a spoon while buying the ice cream
This would be the right thing to do, but it's also surprisingly easy to forget. If you do forget, you might not realize it until you've arrived at your room. Walking back to the store is kind of annoying, too.
>why not borrow a spoon from your hotel/hostel
Actually a very smart idea, provided where you're staying is decent. If you're staying somewhere very cheap, you might not even have this option (or you might have a hard time trusting their cleanliness).
>why the fuck would you eat a pint of Häagen-Dazs or drink by yourself
Because it's muh vacation, I'll be as degenerate as I want. Also, I generally like having a beer or ice cream right after a nice hot shower.
>>
>>1282263
Why are you going to Podgorica (boring shithole) instead of one of the beautiful cities on the adriatic (Kotor, Budva, Bar)?

Also I'd skip Skopje and Pristina and go to Belgrade instead.
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.