[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys get the money and time to travel so much? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: 1486073059324.jpg (987KB, 2250x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1486073059324.jpg
987KB, 2250x3000px
How do you guys get the money and time to travel so much?

I can barely get 2 weeks free this summer from my job and couldn't save enough money to cover the airplane/transport costs.
>>
>Money
Full time job with a kind of decent pay (at least for my shitty country in terms of work: Spain) + not being a materialistic person

>Time
One month a year paid holiday + days off. I work in hospitality so I don't do the usual Monday to Friday thing, that means I often have 4-5 days off in a row, enough for a quick European trip.
>>
>Money
Good paying job, keep expenses low so I can save.

>Time
Save up vacation to use it when I need to take a vacation.
>>
>>1262852
When I get sick I go to work anyway and make everyone else sick, when they take a day off I fill in for them....then they owe me.

It's the circle of virus, comes back to me again.
>>
>>1262852
I'm pretty old. So I've got a professional job that pays a comfortable living. My wife makes even more than I do, in middle management at a large company. We're also both senior enough that we have a relatively generous vacation situation (20 days paid, which is a lot for the United States, plus separate sick days, personal days, and schedules that are at least a bit flexible).

But in all seriousness time is an issue. When you make enough money to be able to afford to travel virtually anywhere, it's much harder to be released from work for long periods of time, at least as Americans. So even though we've got 20+ days a year each, we very rarely use it all in one go.
>>
>Money
Run an online business and I don't buy anything but food and necessities.

>Time
I can travel wherever whenever because of the above.
>>
30 years old, never owned a car, don't buy anything I don't definitely need, wear the same clothes until they wear out and only buy at outlet stores, lived with parents until mid-late-20's...

Now I work for a few months and then take off for up to 10 months. I'm lucky that I got a job where I can get unpaid leave up to 10 months and when I come back I have my job again. It doesn't pay super well but because I don't spend much I'm able to bank almost everything I make.
>>
>>1262903
>car payments
>repair bills
>tickets for various BS
>parking
>buying gas

If you live in a town big enough to have Lyft you don't can't really justify car ownership anymore unless it's a truck you use for business, or you have a big family that wants to go camping on a regular basis.

My town just got rideshare services but I still don't need it because the local city bus already goes everywhere worth going in town, and I can just bum a ride or stagger home from the bar two blocks away.
>>
I work in the oil fields of North Dakota. I work shifts of 2 week on 2 2 weeks off. The company pays for my housing. Prior to this I was selling crystal meth at a fast pace.
>>
>>1262911
How did you find customers?
Did you just find a dude with no teeth and hand him your business card with a wink or something.

I am not interested in illegal activities, this is just a human interest piece.
>>
>>1262913
Drugs sell themselves. I'm a black man in ND so I people approached me. Word of mouth from one user to the next helped too
>>
>>1262913
Not him, but I used to grow my own weed about 10 years ago. Nothing fancy just 15 indoor plants in my cellar. I never sold my stuff, just gave some to friends and always had some good stuff on me.
I never intended to sell it but oh well things turned quickly
>friend asks if he can get a larger amount for a bit of money
>oh well why not, I know he's a hardcore stoner so what could happen...
>stuff like that happened from time to time no fucks given, fast forward a few months
>random people I never met before call me or approach me on the street
>shit is getting strange, but I swim in money
>few weeks later some random guy is ringing at my door at 4am yelling something like I just need 5g mate, I got cash, gimme some
And that was the day I stopped smoking & growing weed, needed a new phone number and moved out of town.
>>
>>1262924
but how did you get seeds for the "420"? Dealers don't sell them and buying such things is a big no no.
>>
>>1262852
have a decent job with good benefits. I'm a bit older than perhaps the average 4chan user so i have decent savings. 4 weeks paid vacation and Im all set..
bottom line, a real job.
>>
>>1262932
Completely legal to buy in Switzerland.
You can even have a number of plants for "own consumption" at home 100% legal.
>>
>>1262908
Cars are the biggest money drains in peoples lives. Like you said, any big city will have decent enough public transport.

But this is just one example, there are plenty of money drains out there. If you buy 40 pairs of shoes and then wonder why you don't have money for traveling well... I know one girl who smokes weed every day and she wonders why she has no money. It's all about prioritizing in life, if travel is a goal of yours then you will sacrifice other parts of your life to make travel happen.
>>
I work and have quite a lot of holidays (it's not a job you want to have forever though), I make enough to go on trips now and then and time isn't really an issue

I live in Europe so travelling to another country doesn't take much time
>>
>>1262943
>But this is just one example, there are plenty of money drains out there. If you buy 40 pairs of shoes and then wonder why you don't have money for traveling well...

My girlfriend has 100 pairs of shoes and still travels everywhere, if you get a credit card you can just pay it later once you get a well paying job upon graduating.
>>
>money
I lived 10 years in Paris, and travelling is way cheaper than living there.

>work
I work remotely, I'll never put a foot in an office anymore, I'd rather begpack.
>>
>>1262852
>money
rich parents, i also sell photo prints.

>time
holidays between university semesters.
>>
>>1262948
>pay it later once you get a well paying job upon graduating.
ahahahahahaAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>1262951
Good point, it depends on where you live. Being canadian I also find that I can save money by traveling.
>>
>>1262948
oh man that's a lesson i had to learn the hard way when i was younger, don't ever do this..
>>
>>1262948
>just pay it later

and we wonder why we can't repay our student loans... dipshits like you can't handle credit
>>
Live with parents, Skrimp and save every penny. Also I play the stock market.
>>
>>1262852
That girl is attractive, but whoever took the photo is a moron. It's shit quality. How can you fuck up the lighting that badly?

On the subject:

>money
I have a well paid job.
>time
European, so I get my 5 weeks of vacation.
>>
>Money
Work full time
>Time
Work on your offdays, get extra cash for extra fund and you get as well extra offday to carry forward.
>>
>>1262852
>Money
I have a well paid job
>Time
I'm from Europe, so I have 5 weeks off anyway and my employer doesn't care if I take off 3 months of unpaid leave.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170618-135815.png (243KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170618-135815.png
243KB, 1080x1920px
>Money

By investing in meme coins with my fellow /biz/antines
>>
>>1262899
what's the business
>>
>>1262911
I knew a guy that did that. Would someone with back problems have any place there?
>>
>money
be a professional carpenter and work your ass off in a skilled trade

>time
work in a cold weather state where the season is about 2/3 of the year so you have the 1/3 of the coldest part of the year to travel

feelsgoodman
>>
File: 1459918593235.png (254KB, 640x591px) Image search: [Google]
1459918593235.png
254KB, 640x591px
>>1263232
i wish i knew more
>>
>>1262852

>money

I work a lot and tend to not spend on fashion or electronics. I avoid debt as best I can, don't booze up every weekend, and am not a drug addict.

I also have a freelance writing contract which pays about $1,000 per month for five hours of work per week. Sometimes I'll get other odd-jobs from old clients, too, and usually make between $1,500 and $2,000 per month from writing.

That's not tons of money, but it's enough to have fun in India or Thailand or Latin America.

>time

I'm still a student. Graduating a couple years late, but I don't have a full-time job that obligates me to be somewhere 365 days per year.

Been to 35 countries since 2013. I'll be honest in saying that travel isn't as exciting as it used to be. At this point in my life, I just want to finish studying so I can get a job wherein I feel useful, productive, and valued. I'd like to continue traveling but have a reason behind it rather than just pleasure. Planning to do the Peace Corps concurrently with a masters program and then maybe a PhD that'll hopefully allow me to do poorfag research abroad.
>>
I'm a math teacher. I get reasonable income and numerous vacations throughout the year.
>>
>>1262940
Vo wo besch? Fellow swissfag here
>>
I'm a waiter. I'm currently working to gather up savings, already booked flights for October. Then go travelling for who knows how long and after I'm out of money, come back and get a new job instantly because there's always work in hospitality.

I also live in northern Europe where service staff gets paid hourly wages, and all sorts of bonuses like double pay on sundays and public holidays, so it's actually pretty decent paying job here.
>>
>>1263414
Für an Schnägg findsch as usä!
>>
>>1262940
lol switzerland is a weird country. I met one swiss guy, he was a bartender and had recently lost his job. So what did he do? He started travelling the world, hostelling and partying it up. I met him in the Canaries. He told me he was actually saving money by travelling the world and partying, rather than staying at home and looking for work.

Some are just born lucky, I guess...
>>
>>1262852
I don't spend my money on video games, alcohol or shit i don't need. This way I get enough money to go somewhere during the summer for 1 month
>>
>>1263232
did you get on the ETH train before it skyrocketed? I remember being on /biz/ around December/January, and everybody was going on about ETH, and I just fucking ignored it. Price is up x50 since January, fucking hell...
>>
>>1263414
Greater Zurich area

>>1263659
Yeah if I save some money up I could work for 3 months and spend the rest of the year traveling and partying around Europe, South America or SEA spend money like crazy and still save money compared to living in Switzerland.
>no 2k/month rent bill
>my entire tax bill would be around 50CHF/year total
>no 3860CHF/year for public transport
>not having to calculate with 300CHF/evening to go out for dinner and a few beers with friends and that is before going to a club

Only downside would be no more Business/First only flights and that would suck.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.