[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greyhound Bus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: 69824951.jpg (124KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
69824951.jpg
124KB, 1024x768px
So /trv/ I'm considering taking a loooong trip on a Greyhound bus. Is it going to be awful? What is the likelihood of arriving at the destination on time?

The trip is 47 hours and 35 minutes according to the greyhound site...
>>
>>1262404
Also how does the bus compare to a plane, like space wise, comfort of the seats, that sort of thing?
>>
Greyhound bus is the quintessential travel experience. It's so bad you'll wish you walked all the way. Real travellers™ only.
>>
>>1262411
Would you consider it worth an additional $80 and the hassle of finding a ride to the airport to fly instead? It would be 4-6 hours instead of 48 that way....
>>
>>1262404
>Is it going to be awful?

Closer you get to mexico the more it is filled with mexicans who may/may not be legal but won't really cause you any fuss.

>What is the likelihood of arriving at the destination on time?
You mean to the minute? Not likely, generally you'll get there around the time you were suppose to. If you have a transfer, then it might skew it more. If it says you arrive at 7;15 am, I'd assume 8ish

>The trip is 47 hours and 35 minutes according to the greyhound site...

Yeah you're going to be fairly off on your arrival time I would imagine since you are probably changing 4 or 5 buses at least
>>
>>1262419
For 80 bucks more? Oh hell yes
>no sleeping on the bus/in stations
>no chance of being rerouted mid trip
>no smelly crazy people

I really only do grey hound that goes from a point A->B, never accept more than one transfer
>>
I took an 8 hour greyhound and hated it. everyone was laying down over multiple seats so I had to ask everyone on the bus to sit up and make room for me and all the people behind me getting on the bus. interaction with people after that wasn't bad. everyone was on the mindset of "hey we all know this sucks".

>I saw a guy in his 30's sleepwalk and yell at an old chinese lady in the seat in front of him. she immediately screamed and the guy never woke up but sat back down and his girlfriend apologized for him.
>driver was shit and drove the complete opposite direction for the first 4 hours.
>pretty cheap ride though
>I now live to be rich enough to never have to do that again

maybe rent a car?
>>
>>1262421
Mostly just worried about getting there that day. Supposed to arrive at 7:50 AM but whenever is fine but I start work the next day so I can't have a delay of a whole day. And yeah lots of transfers on the trip.

>>1262423
Wish I could get in a week early, then the plane ticket is the same as the bus ticket lol. Kind of worried about my luggage though, the cheap flight is united and they don't do free carry ons apparently. Is the bus generally more lax about heavy/bulky luggage, or is it about the same? Gotta bring camping gear with me.
>>
>>1262425
Can't afford to rent a car unfortunately. I would just drive my car but even then the cost of gas would make it the most expensive option, plus the not insignificant chance of my piece of shit car exploding or otherwise breaking down.

I don't know though, it's an 1800 mile trip my car takes premium gas but will settle for mudguard and at best gets 24mpg, also there's a slow coolant leak the tires are old I need an oil change and my registration is over a year expired lol. Oh and the A/C only works for about 30 minutes at a time lol.
>>
>>1262427
United does free carry-ons of one bag, I know because I did it a month or 2 ago when I flew to seattle. Checking in a bag isn't hard either and lost luggage is few and far between these days.

Grey hound will charge you about the same as excess baggage as an airport would, roughly 15 or so bucks.
>>
>>1262404
You won't be in any shape to begin work the next day after sitting cramped for 2 days straight. You'll probably throw out your back, and get fired for being unable to look like you'll make it through the day. You'll probably also catch some TB or at least the flu and head lice from your fellow passengers after that long together on a bus that isn't maintained.

And, yea, your car is not likely to make it. I suggest selling it since you claim it takes premium, hopefully has a decent resale value.

I doubt it's $80 to get to the airport. This is where you might take some buses part of the way. Most cities have some direct from central station kind of bus routes to air transit.

Why don't you share with the board where you're from and where you need to go. That's where you can get real advice. Specifics. As far as greyhound goes, there are no positive points.
>>
>>1262430
Mostly just the cost of checking a bag I'm worried about, I guess I need to go ahead and pack and weigh it. It's like $25. The website said no free carry on though.

I usually fly frontier or Delta where they have free carry ons and free personal items, managed to count my duffel bag as carry on and backpack as personal item, was nice.

Also I guess I need to figure out where the airport is relative to my hotel, bus station is conveniently a 7 minute walk.

Unfortunately I'm on an extremely low budget for all of this. Sometimes I wish I had a credit card so I could deal with this sort of situation, I'll have plenty of money next month but poor AF right now.
>>
>>1262427
>Gotta bring camping gear with me.
WTF. Do you need this right away? Might be cheaper to ship it via UPS Ground...and get it once you're there.
>>
>>1262433
Damn don't really want to get parasites. As far as sickness though my immune system is pretty damn solid. Work shouldn't be bad, first day probably just driving out to wherever the site is, then hiking the rest of the day, going to be checking various monitoring system out in remote mountain streams.

I'm headed to Reno, NV leaving from College Station, though if I fly either Austin or Houston.

The $80 isn't to get me to the airport anyway, can probably get a ride from a friend, it's just the additional cost over the bus ticket, though admittedly if I bought the ticket for the bus a week ago it would be $40 cheaper itself.
>>
>>1262437
I won't have any address for the first couple of weeks I'm there, and the work is all hiking/camping out in remote wilderness areas.
>>
>>1262439
Plus I'm only staying in a hotel first night, after that until the place I'm staying is ready I'll be living at campsites or federal lands.
>>
OP i was seriously considering the same thing, from NY to Seattle.

I thought a plane would be too expensive but i actually found a flight just as cheap.

Greyhound is only good for a city to city travel.
>>
Greyhound is really only worth using if you get direct tickets. I have taken plenty of Greyhound trips, up to around 10 hours from Boston to Montreal.

I would never want to do one with connections...it would be too long and bad things could happen.
>>
I took the greyhound bus from Toronto to Edmonton it took 50 hours and wasn't that bad just boring af.
>>
Took the bus from NY to Norfolk and it was terrible. The AC was broken so it would only cool, so for the first 4 hours everyone was fucking freezing. And when we stopped, the driver didn't let to get your warmer clothes from check in baggage.

Most of the people were either rude, angry or scary. And you will be sitting next to one of them because there is no way you're sitting alone.
>>
>>1262404
Anyone ever rode a bus from Denver to Mexico?

Would like to visit Monterey
>>
How worthless is your time that 40 hours of your life is not worth $80? Take the flight.
>>
I took quite a few in Australia. A lot of people spread over two seats preventing anyone from sitting beside them. I found everytime that we picked someone up the person gravitated towards my section and sat beside me even though I'm 6'4 and bigger than 95% of the people on the bus.

Nightbuses in Thailand are quite comfy...never really dreaded them there.
>>
>>1262434
Why not apply for a credit card..? They hand them out like candy.
>>
>>1263335
Also this.
>>
>The trip is 47 hours and 35

about 4 hours into this journey you will wish you had flown instead
>>
>>1262419
If 80$ won't kill you, absolutely. Because 48 hours on the bus will.
>>
Just get a megabus. It's much cheaper and the same quality.

I find buses comfortable, reliable, simple. You'll just go stir crazy, that's all.
>>
>>1262404
Do it. Record incidences and other strange happenings. Upload to youtube. Post here. Thanks.
>>
>>1262404
If (as I read below) the difference is only $80 plus a ride to the airport, I would fly without question. A two-day trip on a series of Greyhound buses will be an experience, definitely. But largely not a good one. I've done a lot of all-day bus rides; eight or nine hours is no big deal. It's just cramped and uncomfortable (plus perhaps smelly if you're in the back near the "bathroom," which is a rolling Port-a-Potty), and your fellow passengers will likely include at least one lunatic and a couple of people who smell bad.

As for your ride, look for airport shuttle services--most airports have them, and they can be quite cheap.
>>1262406
Overall, I'd say seat size is not THAT different--planes are increasingly cramped nowadays too--but buses are really the only mode of transportation that's less roomy and comfortable than flying cheap (trains have the best seats, but I'm assuming this isn't an option for you, and it's often more expensive than flying anyway).
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.