[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

With the recent visa crackdown in China, is teaching English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (130KB, 1140x560px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130KB, 1140x560px
With the recent visa crackdown in China, is teaching English without a degree there no longer a viable option?
>>
go to Vietnam

you can still get away with it, especially in the country, but they will use it to dick you over as compensation leverage.
>>
Anyone has any experience teaching English in China without being an actual native speaker?
I've heard that for most schools the only thing that really matters is whether you're white or not, since your role is basically that of a trophy wife. I have a master's degree but no certificates of language proficiency, though I could get one if need be.
>>
Hey anons

I have a friend who is trying to move to China to work. They want a copy of her degree, but it's in French - from France. The Chinaman at the consulate said this is not good enough.

What should she do? Does she really need to go to find an outfit like Educational Credential Evaluators and spend a few hundred bucks?

Thanks
>>
>>1257813
Well why didn't she ask the damn consulate what's their issue with it and what would satisfy them?
>>
>>1257813
Get someone to translate it
>>
>>1258131
>translation
She had a translation on a piece of paper but it wasn't good enough.

>>1257831
I told her to give them a call and ask them precisely what she needs AND then get them to say "yes" after she said "so if I bring X, Y and Z, you will accept the documents, right?" before I hang up
>but I deal with PRC people and lived there for a few years so I know how you have to talk to the fuckers

She is not experienced in dealing with PRC Chinese.
>at least she'll be paid well when she gets there
Of course, the spiteful Chinaman at the consulate would not offer advice and insist that you do all of the thinking for him. Some of the weaker minded Western people are sufficiently brainwashed by the media that when a minority gets rude and uppity with them, they assume that they themselves must be at fault some way.

The reason I ask is because it would be nice if someone has experience of this and can make useful suggestions.
>>
Where in the world don't you need notarized translations for legal documents in foreign languages?

>on a piece of paper
Lmao.
>>
>>1256913
China is a complicated country, enforcement varies by region based on immigration police resources and demand

If you have any degree, this is enough
The chinese have little understanding of western education systems despite being largely educated in them, and they simply consider anyone without a degree a grunt

This goes to the point where an educational institution with "university" in the name is almost always OK, no matter what you study or how shite the place is.
On the other hand a technical college, trade school, or any other institution without "university" in the name is often rejected

I'm not sure there was actually a "crackdown" in the real world, it could well have just been headlines.
regional chinese politicians are often paper tigers

certainly I would approach it with caution, if you work illegally in china honestly the immigration police are the least of your worries. Too often teachers get cheated by their employer leaving them with no recourse but to resign, sometimes they even get blackmailed.

I would get a forged degree from an asian university at the minimum, Chinese police are generally forceful, demanding, but there is often no follow up

you would be limited to teaching in smaller citties, ensure your pay is weekly NOT monthly, and NOT largely in completion bonuses
when you have finished they have no motivation to actually pay what they said they would

If one embassy are difficult simply apply at another, it's stupid but there is little consistency

ask around at a few forums, people will tell you very mixed things
I was in chine for a few months and taled to a lot of the teachers there
>>
>>1258923
>Where in the world don't you need notarized translations for legal documents in foreign languages?
China

Most places that didn't really connect to the western world and raised to our standard. Most places where they want English teachers.
>>
>>1259134
>China doesn't have bureaucracy.
Anon, you are in for a surprise. China invented bureaucracy with forms in triplicate and stamps on everything when the rest of the world was wondering whether a verbal contract was binding.

>>1259051
>I'm not sure there was actually a "crackdown" in the real world, it could well have just been headlines.
It's getting implemented, work/expert visas are now classed as A/B/C based on various points and stuff. Fake degrees and unregistered teachers are getting the screws tightened on them but schools are slowly moving their teachers over or churning the illegals.

>certainly I would approach it with caution, if you work illegally in china honestly the immigration police are the least of your worries. Too often teachers get cheated by their employer leaving them with no recourse but to resign, sometimes they even get blackmailed.
And THEN the school admin tips off the police and gets a reward.

>Chinese police are generally forceful, demanding, but there is often no follow up
This. Have your paperwork in order and nobody will bother you.

>I was in chine for a few months and taled to a lot of the teachers there
I'm still here, it seems about right to me.
>>
>>1259142
yea I really think in china your biggest threat is the school or ageny it'self

Employers have no ethics in china, and when it's a foreigner you really can't extend them any trust at all

I hear it's common for schools to not pay teachers on time, and keep a large debt to them because it gives them leverage.
because they are likely your only source of income, they have you by the short hairs

that being said the demand is huge and they simply can't find enough teachers willing to work in china to begin with.
I often met chinese english teachers who's english wasn't fantastic

yesterday in another part of asia I met an "english teacher" who barely spoke english, I was reading their end of year tests and the questions were riddled with elementary mistakes.
the teacher said she only spoke to native English speakers three or four times in her life
the kids didn't have a chance
>>
I got offered a chance to teach physics and maths in a Maple Leaf School in one of the Chinese cities (they never specified)

Is this one of those things that I should be jumping at? It looks seems fishy to me... There seems to be very little reviews online despite the schools being around for so long.

Anyone got any experience with this?
>>
>>1256913
What city is that?
>>
>>1259459
China
>>
>>1259459
Google Image Search thinks it is Chengdu.
>>
This >>1258912 anon here

>>1258923
Yes, very good. I'm a native English speaker and have never had to worry about this shit so I guess I'm ignorant about it.

>on a piece of paper
>Lmao
I get that you're very proud of yourself, but what you seem to be missing is that by providing documents in English you're already having the Chinese accept documents in a foreign language, aren't you?

Worst kind of smartass: the one who isn't as smart as he thinks he is.
>>
>>1259411
If they won't tell you the city, it's definitely fishy. Best case scenario, they have a bunch of frank reviews on the Internet that they don't like. Worst case scenario, it's a scam.

Don't consider it.
>>
>>1258912
Oh and by the way, the documents were accepted the second time.

She just got the translations notarised. I don't think she needed an apostille in the end.
>>
>>1256913
China is at the tail end of the "if you're white you can teach english" era (i.e. no other quallifications needed

From what I hear Vietnam is right in the middle of that era, so go nuts.

But I'd advise just getting TEFL or whatever.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.