[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to study in South Africa

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

Hey /trv/, first time poster here. I have an opportunity to study in SA next spring in either Stellenbosch or Cape town. I'm really interested because being a burger, I've never left my country and it would be awesome to live and work in a different country for a few months. Is it as unsafe as its made out to be? Are SA's universities actually any good? Are South African grills cute? Any information helps.
>>
File: Kitstenbosch IMG_1738.jpg (228KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
Kitstenbosch IMG_1738.jpg
228KB, 1024x575px
>>1256372
Cape Town calling, before this turns into another /pol/-style trollfest. Stellenbosch is about 40 minutes drive from Cape Town; the main difference is that Stellenbosch is a university town and Cape Town is a major city. Stellenbosch has historically been a white Afrikaans town, but it's now its an increasingly diverse place; everyone speaks English, there's plenty of tourists and visiting students and scholars. It's a very leafy, comfy place that's isolated enough from the outside world that you will either build some close friendships, or be miserable and lonely.

Regarding safety, yes, the Cape Town area has a very high crime and murder rate, and a Stellenbosch student was murdered earlier this week, but most of the violence happens in very poor areas that you would have no reason to visit, especially the slums on the outskirts of cities.

You do need to be careful at night, though, because although visitors rarely suffer crimes against the person, crimes against property are more common. So if you want to be a typical Ameriburger on exchange, taking advantage of the lower drinking age, you will need to observe some limits - it's not the place to go staggering around drunk in the middle of the night. That said, there's 10 million + tourists each year and most have no trouble.

Stellenbosch and the University of Cape Town are both excellent, google them and see, although there have been protests on both campuses in recent years over fees and what's perceived by some as an old-fashioned colonialist attitude by the institutions.

If you're seriously interested, download a copy of the Lonely Planet Cape Town guide (it includes Stellenbosch) and I'll be happy to answer any specific questions.
>>
The university of Stellenbosch is very good. Commonly considered "the" university of the Afrikaners, although they have recently relaxed their language rules. It's far calmer than CT, but not all that far away, certainly not by ZA or US standards.

University of Cape Town I know nothing about, sorry boet.
>>
>>1256389
>University of Cape Town I know nothing about, sorry boet.
Top rated uni in Africa; traditionally the best English-speaking university, in the comfy southern suburbs of Cape Town.
>>
>>1256396
And it looks flippin' amazing
>>
>>1256388
Many thanks Anon, I really appreciate it. As far as exchange rates in currency go, I know the dollar is much stronger than the Rand, but I'm curious as to just how well I can live in South Africa for a Semester. I looked at some exchange rate charts and everything but I figure it's good to have the opinion of someone who actually lives there.
Also, what's the general opinion of Americans in South Africa? Will my accent and other American-isms make it hard for me to make friends with the locals?
>>
>>1256410
Not him, but:
This place costs about the same as a cheaper European country. You can get a nice apartment in a place like Sea Point at $700. Cheaper private lodgings in still decent places costs 350-500. A pizza or a basic meal will cost you $6-7. A capuccino in a chain-store costs about 2.50. A Coca Cola in a restaurant costs 1.50. Taxis are cheap.
>>
>>1256414
>>1256410
Also, nobody will care that you are American. They are (usually) quite a friendly lot down here, whether black, brown or white.
>>
>>1256414
>>1256417
Thanks!
As far as ways to have fun or spend the weekends, will there be just as many things to do in Stellenbosch as there are in Cape Town? I know that it's a good idea not to be out walking around at night, and if that's the case how you spend your nights? If walking out on the town or going to the bars is a bad idea do people just mostly hang out in their apartments?
>>
Well, it's all relative. I would say that Cape Town was one of the most dangerous places that I visited on my RTW trip, more dangerous than South American cities even. But it's totally manageable and possible to get around safely.

Basically you'll learn what to do / what not to do really quickly from other people, and then there's very little chance that you'll get into any real trouble.

Solid chance you'll get pickpocketed or mugged or something when you're there, but don't resist a mugging and you won't be hurt. Get travel insurance on your stuff and it's not a huge deal.
>>
>>1256410
>I'm curious as to just how well I can live in South Africa for a Semester
Best site for all this stuff is Numbeo:
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Cape-Town?displayCurrency=USD
Most stuff is much cheaper here, the only thing that's significantly more expensive is cellphone and internet costs.

What's the general opinion of Americans in South Africa?
The attitude is positive; US pop culture is hugely popular over here and the area is used to tourists.
>>1256429
>will there be just as many things to do in Stellenbosch as there are in Cape Town?
It's a "college town", so you need to keep that in mind. The place is full of bars and clubs to keep 20,000 students entertained. If you can make friends you'll find the place comfy, if not you might find it a bit isolating.
>If walking out on the town or going to the bars is a bad idea do people just mostly hang out in their apartments?
There are house parties, but not walking around late at night basically means driving or getting a cab/uber from A to B; it doesn't mean staying indoors with a gun in your hand after the sun sets. South Africans like to party.

>>1256432
>Solid chance you'll get pickpocketed or mugged or something when you're there, but don't resist a mugging and you won't be hurt.
There's a chance, but in six months in CT or Stellenbosch it's not likely. If you don't make yourself a target you will probably have no trouble.
>>
>>1256653
Right on, I love to party so I'm glad there's a similar college culture around going out and drinking.
Speaking of college culture, in the US people are pretty chill around casually hooking up and that sort of thing. Is it the same deal in South Africa or is it different? I know that HIV/AIDS is a valid concern, so does that affect people's attitudes on casual sex?
>>
>>1256735
In some ways South African students are similar to Americans when it comes to that; you get students who just want to party and fuck, but there's also a strong Christian subculture (more so at Stellenbosch) and of course there are plenty of Christians who also want to party and fuck (and feel guilty about it the next morning). Overall White South Africans are definitely more conservative than Ameriburgers. In the Afrikaans community especially a girl won't want a reputation as a slut. You'll be connected in with fellow exchange students and that's where you'll find the easiest sex. If you follow basic safe sex guidelines you don't need to worry too much about HIV.
>>
>>1257087
Thanks for all of the info anon, you've been a great help. Definitely going to frequent this board a lot more.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.