[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /trv/, European here, never been in the USA before. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Art-America.jpg (845KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
Art-America.jpg
845KB, 1500x1125px
Hi /trv/, European here, never been in the USA before. I'm gonna go there for a year-long exchange soon. I was wondering, what is the most reasonable (money-wise and time-wise) way of traveling between the big USA cities? I'll live in Massachusetts. I intend to visit some of my distant family members and friends in Wyoming, Ohio, Colorado and Arizona, spending about a week everywhere.

In Europe, the best way to travel for reasonable monies are cheap airlines (Wizzair, Ryanair), buses (mostly Western Europe) or trains (mostly Eastern Europe). How is it in States?
>>
bump
>>
>>1256283
The cheapest way is Greyhound. It's a bus service like you've never seen. Slow and poor conditions. But it's cheap and it will get you to very obscure places. We don't have the budget airlines Europe has. There's Southwest and a couple others but even Southwest will seem like Lufthansa compared to RyanAir. For that reason and others, tickets are much more expensive. I don't know Boston, but a round trip from New York to Denver will be like $200 booked in advance.
>>
>>1256361
>The cheapest way is Greyhound. It's a bus service like you've never seen. Slow and poor conditions. But it's cheap and it will get you to very obscure places. We don't have the budget airlines Europe has. There's Southwest and a couple others but even Southwest will seem like Lufthansa compared to RyanAir.
This is bullshit.
> I don't know Boston, but a round trip from New York to Denver will be like $200 booked in advance.
That's very little money to fly transcontinental and it's the norm.
Boston is a jetblue city and you should look at their website first. Don't take buses, not even once, unless traveling around the northeast, and you'd probably prefer trains for that.

Wyoming will be the pricey city, due to lack of competition. It's a tourism mecca for the national parks and the residents are few. Arizona is your farthest and maybe you should consider having your family meet you in Vegas which will be very cheap.
There is a scenic train from Denver to Salt Lake City (Silver Zephyr) with glass topped cars, which is quite beautiful route and might make some nice times with family.
>>
>>1256366
>Don't take buses, not even once
Why not? Are they that bad?
>>
>>1256391
i'd also like to know why not
going to be travelling from nyc to s.f over the period of a month aug-sept and could do with knowing
my ideal route is nyc, philly, washington, new orleans, l.a, s.f
i figure i will have to get one plane to or from new orleans which is alright
>>
>>1256361
Thank you a lot! I will definitely check the buses when traveling <12 hours trips. That's a great hint! Booktabbed for future use.

>>1256366
You mentioned "jetblue", I assume it's some local (?) airline. Is there any general "flight browser" for the USA, so it can find the cheapest flights between particular states/cities?
Also, I will definitely check the Silver Zephyr once I'm there. Sounds great!

Any other hints?
>>
>>1256636
google flights works the best desu.

>Wyoming
Idahoan here, very nearly moved to Laramie. There's basically no amtrak service and it's realllly difficult/expensive to fly in there. You basically have to drive. One of your options is to do a colorado/wyoming trip. Assuming your family is in the denver/boulder/fort collins area, just fly into denver, drive around colorado and drive to wyoming (a 3 or 4 hour drive).

I really think the best way to see the US is to drive. We're a car culture. Buy a cheap used car on your year long exchange (as long as you have a place to park it, ie. you're not in Boston), get it fixed up, and drive all over the country. It will be an experience you will never forget. Pick a couple weeks you're off school and just drive.
>>
>>1256636
there's this thing called the "acela corridor" as well. There are these """"""high"""""-speed trains that do the Boston - NYC - Philly - DC route. You _must_ see DC if you're in the US.

Check amtrak's website, it'll be pretty cheap it serves a ton of commuters for meetings out of their respective cities.
>>
>>1256641
Thank you-desu. Also, Laramie and Denver are exactly the places where I'd like to go. It's so unreal - I've managed to survive 30 years of my life in Europe without needing a car even once. Public transportation is reliable and reasonably cheap. Looks like it could be a good idea to get driving license before getting to the USA.

>>1256644
I will!

Also, since I got you two (?) Americans here, could you please also tell me briefly what's that stuff about paying with coupons or checks? In Europe, it's either cash or debit/credit card. What's the coupon and check thingy?
>>
>>1256692
If you drive from east I recommend going over powder river pass down through ten sleep canyon then across to yellowstone/grand teton.
If you're doing nature stuff.
>>
>>1256692
We pay with cash or credit/debit cards. Nobody uses checks. Coupons give you a discount on the price of an item, but they're not a form of payment. Adoption of tap to pay or pay by phone stuff is pretty much nonexistent, by the way. Cards have chips now (finally), but a pin is only sometimes required for debit cards and never for credit cards. Cash isn't used as much these days but some things may be cash-only so carry some with you just in case. You'll find that coins are pretty worthless and just a nuisance, there's no equivalent to the 1 and 2 euro coins which are actually useful.
>>
>>1256706
I'm totally into nature stuff, thank you for your hint, I'm noting it down. I'm very excited to see the Yellowstone. I'll do it if I have enough time.

>>1256709
One of the biggest mysteries solved, thank you!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.