[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military/milstyle gear while traveling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: ww2-map-shot5.jpg (62KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
ww2-map-shot5.jpg
62KB, 200x300px
I thought I would make a thread on this because it's something I see a lot on the road.

milsurp gear is universally available, generally hardy and good value.
a lot of products usefull for travelers are designed for the millitary, or have that look about them

but there are downsides as well
it could very easily aggravate cultural sensitivities in areas where there has been major conflict; particularly if the wearer is ethnically linked to that conflicts; and this goes 10x if the gear is patched, patterned, or identifiable with a specific force/unit.
>>
Don't do this.

It strikes me as heavily autistic.
>>
>>1249926
I mean that's why I though we should have a thread on it, because opinions are mixed

for instance taking an alice pack of you're hiking (despite it being an awful pack, it's cheap) would in my opinion almost always be OK.

I often take army issue or unofficial uniform wicking undershirts, because they are great value and are usually available in generic colours

and especially if you take non-camo gear, most people wouldn't even notice.

but the flip side of that is if you are wearing "generic" gear, but have a number 2 haircut, you are wearing multiple articles and give off that vibe it may not even matter if anythign you are wearing is actually millitary issue.
>>
to start the thread, some things I've seen

Marines traveling in ceremonial gear
Marines traveling in their training gear
Marines doing both in places their country has invaded
this bothers a lot of people, in a lot of places; and is why Americans generally enjoy such a good reputation abroad

a lot of guys in northern Europe in Russian issue gear, especially the navy shirts (usually repro)
and in china the same with Chinese gear
but the gear is worn often as cheap work-wear, less so by veterans
never seen anybody bothered by this
in china the army training shoes are universally used by road workers, cleaner, etc (many of whome let it be said may be vets)

Ive seen a lot of nazi memorabilia worn everywhere unknowingly, sometimes in asia the patterns/logos/patches are copied with no knowledge of their original context (see: hitler iceream)

often I see people wearing patches.
it's fairly universal, if you havn't served with a unit don't wear the patch ever.
just stitch it from jackets, colour it over on shirts etc.
your call on rank gear, stars, lapels.
in a lot of places I don't think anyone really cares, but in some countries I hear it can really make people angry (usually autism and vets)

but I often wear a generic field jacket on a motorbike or when hiking in the jungle, not sure if that bothers anyone
but it certainly gets looks in combination with army boots, tan pants or the like; and as such I try to avoid it

100% don't take milliraty gear into an active conflict zone, I don't even take it in my bag
I become captain t-shirt and shorts, thongs and a cheap camera
>>
>>1249932
I once met some local dudes wearing full US Army fatigues right in the middle of downtown Barcelona (with 100% real-looking handguns on a coil lanyard!).

They walked right into the fucking club with me and nobody cared or said anything (Spain rules).
>>
>>1249941
spain does indeed rule

still, I'm unsure why these guys do it
is it just a "murrica fuck yea" thing?
>>
File: WP_20140304_17_15_04_Pro.jpg (253KB, 1277x718px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140304_17_15_04_Pro.jpg
253KB, 1277x718px
I took a pic of these guys un Sicily. Not sure what their deal was. It was during Carnival. I took the pic because I am in the US Marines myself and thought it was funny to see foreign civilians in our uniform. This was in the town of Misterbianco in Catania.
>>
>>1249926
This guy is 100% correct.

The only milsurp you'd be able to get away with is a camo jacket with a Deutsch flag on the upper arm area.
>>
>>1249980
oh come on, "US ARMY" is one of the most popular branding in SEA

I don't think it's quiet drastic

what about gear?
hardened computers and satelite coms, surplus mess kits and stoves, tents, that kind of thing, bush knives, boots?
>>
>>1249987
OP might get away with wearing milsurp but you will look suspicious in the eyes of any authority, and you will look down right autistic.

Honestly, OP should just spend their money on some ordinary cheap clothes from ASOS or something.

And good luck getting bush knives, stoves and mess kits through customs.
>>
>>1249972
Just as I saw in Barcelona, minus the vests and with actual motherfucking guns.
>>
>>1249987
Wearing US Army iconography in SEA is the equivalent of wearing Apple Computer branded t-shirts and shoes.
>>
>>1249992
dude if you weekend away in europe sure, but let me just put it out there that there is little if any screening at land borders

security doesn't give a shit what you bring in so much as the safety of the aircraft

ever caught a bus across any border ever?
like ever?
I was screened once on a remote turkish land border but only to punish the bus company for bribe-evasion, niggers ripped up the whole bus for hours just to slow us down

>>1249996
haha true that, my point is simply that if you wear cargo pants or a training shirt in the region nobody bats an eyelid out of the citties

I've been riding on the roof of trucks for the last week in a surplus jacket and boots, I mean people noticed...but I stand out-out here no matter what I wear.
maybe I'm wrong and it was a bad call, I guess that's what I'm canvassing
>>
>>1249925

I wore a Vietnam era jacket when I was in the jungle in Guatemala. You can do milsurp just don't look autistic.
>>
>>1249925
The only milsup I have is a French alpine backpack and nobody has ever giving me a second look; actually some people have aasked me where I got it and how comfy it looks. Is a great back pack in general, the only con is the camo.
>>
>wearing milsup
Fucking why?
>>
>>1250075
well I got a pair of chinese army boots when I needed to take off into some mountains unexpectadly where there was snowfall
12$
>>
File: 1494107108466.jpg (37KB, 480x594px) Image search: [Google]
1494107108466.jpg
37KB, 480x594px
>>1249932
agree 100% on every point
only post worth reading in this thread

>>1250075
>very cheap
>very durable
>very comfortable
>looks good, despite you being a contrarian dumbfuck

who else here /foreigncamo/

I have stuff from Israel and Ukraine.
Time for some false flags. :^)
>>
>>1249925
As someone with loads of milsurp;
Depends on the piece. If it is just an olive colored backpack then it's fine, same goes for tshirts, sweaters and bucket hats, but I would avoid any BDU shirts or pants. Of course be knowledgable about the piece you have, don't wear shit anywhere near where it's from. Flecktarn is probably fine in Tibet though.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.