[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What sort of things do you generally collect as souvenirs? Do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: _img.jpg (47KB, 720x450px) Image search: [Google]
_img.jpg
47KB, 720x450px
What sort of things do you generally collect as souvenirs?
Do you have a collection?
>>
Usually t-shirts and coffee mugs.

If small & affordable, I will also purchase little trinkets with mascot characters that are related to the area.
eg. When I was in Narita, I went to the Pokemon Store inside the airport and got a few pressed coins.
Pic semi-related; I got the exact same pilot & flight attendant Pikachu coins, but instead of Magearna I got Lunala.
>>
>>1245238
Its weird to me that the machines outside of America still use pennies
>>
I collect boarding passes of my trips. I don't know if that's weird or not, but I do.
>>
Remember that time you thought you would collect that thing from every country you ever travelled too, but then you couldn't that one time, so stopped doing it? It's hard to find a cheap cheesy t-shirt with a countrys flag on it sometimes.
>>
Bills of foreign currencies, mostly low denominations.
>>
A magnet from every city
>>
A nice chess set, as nerdy as that seems. My favorite is one made of volcanic stone from Guatemala.
>>
>>1246894
Do you also collect foreign variants of chess?

Like, if you were in Japan, would you get a shogi set, or would you still try to get a traditional chess set?
>>
>>1246898
I did not even know shogi was a thing, so thanks for the idea. I'm actually going to Japan in July so now I can't wait to go shogi shopping lol.
>>
>>1246901
I was just in Poland with my friend and he showed me 3-sides chess boards they have there. No idea how the game mechanics work but might be interesting for you

Im touring eu with my friend, first time being outside the us for me. Were just buying patches, well get some kind of jacket when we get back home and sew them all on. Picked up a few non country related ones too. More function than trinkets on a shelf, trying to own less junk in my life anyway.
>>
Exotic strains of STDs
>>
Coins. I fucking love coins.
>>
>>1246253
>I collect boarding passes of my trips. I don't know if that's weird or not, but I do.
I collect tickets from concerts I've been to, seems like the same kind of thing imo.
>>
>>1246853
for me it was bottle openers, couldn't find 1 in south korea
>>
>>1247119
I'm from poland, I have probably seen the exact chessboards you've seen. Neither me nor any of my friends have the idea how the fuck to play it
>>
>>1245235
Only take memories and leave nothing except traces of Amphetamine
>>
>>1249606
...and DNA.
>>
I always take various denominations of currency home with me from the countries I visit. Between Iraq, Colombia, Serbia, India, and some 30-odd other places, I have around $200 total in different cash currencies and probably another $50-$60 in coins.

Still disappointed that I forgot to take cash home from Bosnia, Iceland, Kazakhstan, and Georgia, but whatever.

Currently in Ecuador and a little disappointed they use the dollar, since I'm American. At least there are still some Ecuadorian coins in circulation.
>>
Bibles. I'm not religious, but I like having books in other languages.
>>
>>1249786
true story
>>
File: jeez.jpg (59KB, 1090x821px) Image search: [Google]
jeez.jpg
59KB, 1090x821px
stuff only will stand around in your apartment and gets covered with dust. And chances you can show off and brag about all the places you have been to others are so rare, that it is simply a waste of time.

Make places to remember YOU and not the other way around.
>>
File: Berlin-bottle-opener.jpg (193KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Berlin-bottle-opener.jpg
193KB, 1000x1000px
bottle openers. they're cheap, easy to carry and there is always a place at the side of my fridge to put a new one.
>>
File: 1493833602489.jpg (56KB, 632x640px) Image search: [Google]
1493833602489.jpg
56KB, 632x640px
I collect leftovers after I realized I had the same leftovers from 3 countries.

From Israel, Tunisia and London: Small bills, coins, mints and a trinket (patch, magnet, etc).

>>1248488
mmmm
juicy

>>1250107
That's good t b h.
Makes for a good beer story.
>>
>>1246253
I do the same! I just leave them in my journal.
>>
I have some Mussolini stuff from when I went to Italy. He seems pretty well liked there.
>>
>>1245235

I collect hats.

In Turkey I bought a fez
In Germany I bought one of those alpine hats
In Hungary I bought a traditional horseman hat
In England I bought a bobbie hat
In Russia I bought an ushanka
In Oman I bought a prayer skullcap
In USA I bought a Confederate kepi in Gettysburg

The list goes on
>>
Postcards and stickers, other than that I just bring stuff that strikes my fancy.

Got some baobab fruits from Senegal, the spikey skeleton of a blowfish from Costa Rica, a cool stone from Petra, shells from the fjords of Norway, drawings from a guy I met while travelling around Scotland, and a lot of minerals which I sued to collect as a kid
>>
File: wttrfmf.gif (1MB, 300x166px) Image search: [Google]
wttrfmf.gif
1MB, 300x166px
>>1250243
>go to Asia
>aw fuk, now I gotta buy one of those cone-shaped hats
>aww man, it doesn't fit in my suitcase
Too bad for you.
>>
>>1250331
>a lot of minerals which I sued to collect as a kid
What kind of lawyer takes on a child's litigation case?
>>
Found a silver 5 frank coin, probably fairly common but still kinda neat.
Also kept the mug from first taste of gluhwein in Goslar, Comphy Christmas markets there.
40mm used (but intact) practice grenade from Cyprus, still can't believe I got it back through Aussie customs tho.
So I collect random sentimental crap I guess.
>>
T-shirts to commemorate the trip and fridge magnets. Never thought I would be that guy to buy touristy crap, but it's a nice daily reminder that I went somewhere.

I otherwise keep odd souvenirs like the astronaut plastic ice-cream bowl they give you at the Kennedy Space Center.
>>
>>1250070
>Make places to remember YOU and not the other way around.
>Writes name in 1000 y/o temple
>>
Not quite the same thing, but I collect flags of countries that I've been to. I don't actually buy them while traveling, I actually buy them on eBay after I come home.

It's pretty corny, and I'm running out of walls to put them on, because I keep buying 5x3 flags.
>>
I buy cookbooks, I go overseas once per year for two or three weeks so I will typically try and find a cookbook of a local cuisine in English.
I started buying small unframed pop art as well but the last 2 trips I forgot or didn't find anything i liked.
>>
Coins I suppose and sometimes local coasters if I find a proper place to "steal" them from
>>
>>1250469

Did that in Vietnam, I made it work
>>
>>1245235
When I went to Quebec I was shopping for French comics.
>>
>>1245235

Not really a souvenir from the place I visit, but I get a flag magnet for my fridge representing each country I've been to, in chronological order.

Hoping to finally go to Asia soon. Probably Thailand/Cambodia.
>>
>>1252979
I'm >>1251564. Looks like you're smarter/more economical than I am.
>>
My mom collects the collectible spoons, so I always buy her a couple. I have bills (10 euro, francs, 1000yen, etc.) In my wallet, but I'd rather find something better.

I'd collect chocolates if they didn't expire or melt.
>>
>>1250243
I just want to say I find it very pleasing how the "boughts" form such a neat diagonal line.
>>
>>1245235
Nothing specific, I just always intentionally bring back some absolutely random shit that reminds me of the place I've been to. And so I have the tickets for a critically important coach I've managed to miss in Turkey, a bus ticket card from Malta because I've spent so much time there traveling at 5km/h, a Don Quijote plastic bag from Japan because I'm fond of those noisy clusterfucks that were always at the most convenient places, an empty bottle of Chinese Coca-Cola because it's the first thing I ever bought in the Far East and a bunch of other completely useless items of zero value to any collector.
>>
>>1253105
Yeah, they're like $5. I hope the place that makes them/sells them stays in business forever, because I want the magnets be consistent through my life.

It always makes me happy just to look at them. But, I'll say there's not that many interesting looking ones on there. I've always wanted to go to Morooco, and that would be a rad flag to have on there.
>>
Playing cards
>>
>>1245235

Can / drink / stubbie coolers (I live in a subtropical climate)

When you're having a drink it reminds you of happy memories on holidays, plus can provoke interesting stories amongst yourself and your guests.
>>
>>1253470
In my country there are plenty of services that print on magnets, you can order online and send them the images to print, it costs less than $1 per piece.
>>
>>1245235
Something that locals would buy as an everyday item: stationary, specific cultery (chopsticks), figurines, unique electronics, etc.
>>
>>1250470
Kek
Probably a lawyer that loves rocks I guess
>>
>>1253470
>Yeah, they're like $5.
Come to think of it, I pay around $5 for my flags too.

Only difference is that mine are 5ftx3ft giants that are taking up my walls. I still have a problem, I admit.
>>
When I'm in the US I get t-shirts from craft breweries
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.