[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Silly reasons for travel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

File: kowloon.gif (1MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
kowloon.gif
1MB, 500x375px
Have you ever picked a travel destination for a weird or silly reason?

For the thread's purposes, we could loosely define this as choosing to go somewhere, but not for the usual reasons, which would be things like:
>to visit friends/family
>to meet new people
>for work/study
>to partake in an activity that would normally be expensive/illegal/impossible in your own country (eg. Amsterdam weed, Hawaiian surfing, Himalayan mountain climbing, Vegas/Macau gambling, etc.)
>for cultural interest (eg. weebs and Japan)
So, none of that normal shit.

To get the ball rolling, I chose to go to Hong Kong because of anime. I was watching G Gundam, where half the show takes place in Hong Kong. I know that some uneducated weebs go to Japan because of anime in general, but fuck, I went to Hong Kong because of one single show from the 90s. And I loved it there.

So, how about you guys? Ever decided on a destination based on haphazard motivations?
>>
>>1245184
I chose to visit Moldova because I didn't know anyone who had been there, and was interested in checking out a minor post-Soviet country.
>>
>>1245184
I've chosen every travel destination based soley on whether I remembered playing a vidya game set in a fictitious version of the city.

Not even kidding
>>
>>1245184
Moved to live in the pacific northwest after my wife made me watch the Twilight series eryth her and it showed how beautiful the nature is there
>>
>>1245190
*with
>>
I like to book weekend trips on Friday night when drunk. Such as wanting to eat some tapas, and booking a Saturday morning flight to Barcelona.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1245184
Was staying in a small town in Switzerland and decided to go to Trento, Italy. No real reason, just bored and felt like seeing the cool rock mountains

Stayed in a hotel for the weekend and and never told anyone

Pic related, it's upside down because posting from my phone
>>
>>1245185
How was it?
>>
>>1245184
same, went to Venice because of Aria

loved every moment of it, will be back this year
>>
One of my hobbies is photography and I just go to countries to photograph. It also gives me a great reason to travel alone.
>>
>>1245302
also did my diving license in Thailand after watching Amanchu

Currently getting my biking license after finishing Bakuon

Anime mang
>>
>>1245188
Can confirm.

Thanks, mp_toujane and mp_matmata.

Pripyat is next.
>>
Went to Copenhagen for no real reason. The only plan I had was to visit the office of a music label which I really like. Tried to go there on 3 different occasions but it was closed every time. Only when I was about to leave I saw a post on their fb page which said that the office is closed down for good. Real shame.
>>
>>1245184
Montreal to get French comics.
>>
Want to go to cornwall due because i saw a video on a national park there, its only around 7/8 hours away from me.
>>
>>1245300
I had a nice time. It's a weird, deeply corrupt, profoundly impoverished place, but it's also got some charm. And insanely cheap, very drinkable wine and brandy.
>>
>>1245184
Been challenged to a sword duel by an argentine dude two years back.
Probably gonna lose both the duel and at least 3 fingers but I agreed.
Does that count as silly reason?
>>
I'm from Central Europe and at that time I was spending some time in Montreal to visit my girlfriend's family on a shoestring budget. I could only afford the trip because I was staying at their place and was fed for free. But I'm not talking about this trip.

I'm very much into politics, I was following the coverage of the American elections 24/7 and I definitely wanted to cross the border to the US, even if it was just for a day, just to get that passport stamp and bragging rights. Going to a close major city like NYC for a few days would've doubled my entire budget. So this was not possible.

So I booked two greyhound tickets to and from Burlington, Vermont, right across the border on the same day which is known for being the starting point of Bernie Sanders' political career.

The other motive was to get at least some kind of physical souvenir related to that very exciting political campaign.

I hopped the border and I had a great time exploring this small, very American city. I was chilling at lake Champlain reading the local the local newspaper, had some nice chats with hot dog vendors and shop keepers. I also had some Ben and Jerry's, all buses were free(Free Ride Day) and there was some kind fair going on(I also saw Amish people but I didn't dare to approach them in German since I have never observed people eating ice cream with such a grim facial expressions).

To me great delight, there were some volunteers giving out campaign leftovers in the main street.

Purchasing official campaign merch is a felony for foreigners because they constitute an illegal contribution to the campaign. So, I was extremely lucky and got exactly what I wanted in the end.

I headed back the same evening. Overall 10/10 experience.
>>
>>1245190
How is it, living there?
>>
>>1245436
u a weeb? wtf do argentinians have to do with swords?
>>
I always wondered if it would be possible to RTW by only travelling via sister cities/twin towns.....
>>
>>1245452
>u a weeb?
Not really. A bit on the autistic side, but most people think I'm quirky or some shit.

>wtf do argentinians have to do with swords?
They have some groups which are really into medieval stuff. Even make small fairs with fighting and such.
>>
File: muhmapreal2017.png (445KB, 4972x2517px) Image search: [Google]
muhmapreal2017.png
445KB, 4972x2517px
The only reason I travel is to add more first-level country subdivisions to my collection. Not even memeing. My most important consideration when I plan an itinerary is how to unlock lots of regions efficiently. I only visit regular sights if they're directly on the way.
>>
I just spent a couple of weeks in SoKo with the in laws. I lived there for 5 years previously, but that was a cultural experience and a half.
>>
>>1245315
My information may be of use to you, Stalker...
>>
Went to Russia

>wanted to see if i die
>wanted to see for myself if all the propaganda and anti Russian sentiment the USA spills about it is true

Had a great time
>>
I'm only visiting Budapest in a week because I wanted to fly from Berlin to Kiev but the tickets were over 200 bucks, whereas the flight to Budapest from Berlin cost 19 bucks and the flight to Kiev from Budapest was 45 bucks. I know nothing about the city and couldn't even tell you where it is on the map.
>>
File: Ace_Attorney_6_-_Key_Visual.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ace_Attorney_6_-_Key_Visual.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>1245188
I'm planning a trip to Bhutan because of AA6.
>>
File: samlogo.png (48KB, 1837x1887px) Image search: [Google]
samlogo.png
48KB, 1837x1887px
>>1245521

I do cheeki breeki myself, senpai, but my first experience with the Zone (besides living in ex-Warsaw pact, was all ghillied up from call of duty, hence the other experiences from call of duty

>want to visit WW2-era France
>will be destroyed now and full of niggs

>>1245469
>north german
>autistic

checks out

also >the most efficient country to visit is Chile
all subdivisions are top-down consequential meaning that you can't miss one going from north to south

anyone else here /serioussam/ and egypt?
>>
>>1245568
Despite being a big part of American culture I never had any interest in Las Vegas until Fallout or LA until Grand Theft Auto.
>>
>>1245452
Argie dudes tend to be arrogant cunts. I hope he chops the fucker up, but it's unlikely since an Argentine man would never challenge you to anything unless he was already positive he would win.
>>
>>1245184
Travelled to Japan for 3 weeks just to play arcade rhythm games because arcades in Australia only have ticket redemption games and are practically dead.
>>
I'm traveling to Japan just to visit various themed fuck hotels.
>>
File: 14135163.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
14135163.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1245184
After a few Sunday afternoon bottles of wine, I decided it would be a good idea to track down some guy I saw on an old TV show. He was living with 4 other workers in an old Soviet-era railway freight wagon in a remote part of Kyrgyzstan (Irkeshtam), and hadn't seen his family for 10 years.

>Dunno if he's still alive, but if he is, my flight to Bishkek leaves on Monday..
>>
I'm going to the Isle of Man in a month because I know no-one that's ever been. Tickets are cheap-o from Birmingham, too.
>>
I am in a schoolarship, they offer you a certain amount of money depending on the country you are going to do an internship.
Choose the most money-giving country from their from their list, applied, got accepted and now going to Tahiti.
>>
File: 1494036344305.jpg (22KB, 310x326px) Image search: [Google]
1494036344305.jpg
22KB, 310x326px
>>1245184
I've only ever been out of the country to go to former French colonial territories. Indochina, Algeria, and Polynesia. I don't even know why, I'm not a ouiaboo.
>>
>>1246186
How was polynesia?
>>
Yeah, I'm going to travel to take a PUA bootcamp soon.
>>
>>1246264
Incredible. It really was the most beautiful place I've ever seen.
>>
>>1245445
Not him, but lived there for many years. It's gorgeous but you get used to it and stop caring about that after a short time. You can really only enjoy the nature for a few months out of the year when it's not rainy and/or dark.
>>
>>1245184
Similar to you OP, when I was stationed near Tokyo the very first touristy thing I did was visit Odaiba because it was heavily featured in the original Digimon show. Probably the nerdiest thing I've ever done but I had a lot of fun.
>>
I am currently in Rome because I wanted to travel somewhere and my friend is studying abroad here. I am not especially close to that friend and saw her for about two hours while I was here.
After this I'm going to Berlin pretty much exclusively to go clubbing.
>>
>>1245184
>I chose to go to Hong Kong because of anime. I was watching G Gundam

Dammit I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Only i went there because I watched this old gangster drama that was set in Hong Kong. It had like 8 episodes and when I went there I visited the area that was their HQ. It was a good trip and I think it would egg forever if I had never done it.

I've actually had weird reasons for almost all the places I've visited and it always seemed like a better trip when I experienced something I couldn't experience anywhere but there.

>>1245441
sounds pretty cool actually
>>
Went to Korea just to use their metro.
>>
>>1245184
I went to Amelie's cafe on a whim (the one for the interior set, the exterior is somewhere else), I happened to be in Paris already though.

I traveled around Europe going everywhere that my family tree said I had ancestors, collecting photographs of microfilm and shit.

I tried to go to an obscure town in Czech republic because it was in an RPG sourcebook but the train schedule was bad and I didn't want to extend a flight to make time for it.
>>
Was planning where I wanted to go for a trip, and while in a boba tea shop I decided Taiwan would be a cool place to see.

My Jew ass loved that country so much.
>>
>>1245190
I like it
>>
>>1245560
Is it true?
>>
>>1245561
How did you catch that?
>>
>>1245640
What was the show about
>>
went to Romania cause a Romanian chick told me it was sketchy and backwards as fuck. She was right.
>>
>>1245561
That's hardly silly. Saving money is always a legitimate reason.

Just think of it as an intentional layover.
>>
>>1245184
I plan to go to Zion National Park entirely because of Fallout: New Vegas and the Honest Hearts DLC.

Randall Clark,nevar 4 get
>>
I pick my trips so that I can see every single world wonder to have ever been in a Civilization game.
>>
>>1245441
>Purchasing official campaign merch is a felony for foreigners because they constitute an illegal contribution to the campaign. So, I was extremely lucky and got exactly what I wanted in the end.
Illegal for you, or illegal here? I doubt anyone would ever give you legal trouble over buying a Bernie t-shirt
>>
I went to Tokyo for a weekend to see the RX-78-2 in Odaiba before they tore it down. Also went to WonFes the day after. Had an awesome time.
>>
>>1245184
As a kid I wanted to go to Japan to meet Godzilla
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.