[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planning on doing a full trip of the Nordic countries next year.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1959.png (31KB, 861x731px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1959.png
31KB, 861x731px
Planning on doing a full trip of the Nordic countries next year.

Any recommendations on cities/towns, sight seeing, activities, etc?
>>
>>1244835
What time of year - winter or summer? The responses will be very different.

The brown bears up on the Finnish/Russian border are wonderfull. There are a number of operators of hides where you can almost garantee to see them also wolverines if you are lucky.
>>
>>1244835

For Iceland, go to Akureyri and/or Vik. Honestly, take a week or so and do a full ring road tour. It's well worth it.

For Denmark to Sweden, I like the take the ferry from Frederikshavn to Gothenburg, it's a nice little ride. Actually, in the entire area of mainland Europe, if you have the option to take a ferry, take the ferry.
>>
Winter is cold. Summer is nice and hot. Generally everywhere. Summer does come late in the northernmost parts.

Biking in Denmark is my favorite way of tourism. Take a tent and sleeping bag/matress with you and some saddlebags and you'll see the parts worth travelling for. I like the roads in yutland the most. Towns and cities are just that. Sweden is big. Norway even feels bigger.

Cheap to rent camping spots. Toilets and clean water. Very temperate even if it rains.

Norwegian nature is rough but ever so beautiful. Biggest temperature flucturations up there. Denmark is perhaps one if not the flattest country in the world. The islands are harder to find beautiful spots on, but you can bike across the country, skipping Fuenen? That's what I guess I will do this summer.

Most people knows basic english.

Norway is a trekking wonderland. Sweden got a lot of cozy towns in between hours of driving.. Everyone knows Denmark got the best and cheapest booze and perhaps nightlife if not some remote fjord gets it on like every remote place got its hotspots. Hard to find though. You gotta know people and gotta be young in Norway though. Sweden is not appreciating the night life, really, I think. Laws. Regulations. Same goes for Norway.

Sightseeing isn't my thing but would go for cph. Expensive. But more stuff perhaps worth looking into.

Finland is worth diving into, too. Island is also very special, though no forests to get lost into. Icelanders and Finns are the most openminded.

Best things:
Dk: Strawberries and beaches
No: Fields and songs. Warm people.
Se: I'd say the natives looks and history.
Fin: If Europe got nuked the first people to emerge would be the finns. Also, peaceful woodlands.
Is: Warm and kind people. Nature.

Worst parts:
Dk: stagnant, half-american culture. Fear.
Se: Fear. A lot.
No: Infrastructure.
Fi: n/a
Is: Distance.
>>
>>1245356
Not OP. Do you have any general advice for Sweden? I would like to visit in the Summer and see the big cities as well as the more rural places.

What might it cost if I avoid fancy places and hostels? Are there budget hotels and motels everywhere like in the USA? How expensive is food in Sweden? What are some things that are considered fun to do there?
>>
>>1244835
Norway still has a lot of nazibunkers from WW2 which you can visit all over the coastline. That's pretty cool.

>>1245356
How dangerous is camping in the middle of the woods in terms of wildlife in those countries? Can you simply camp in a random forest or will you get nommed by wolves and a bear?
>>
>>1245365
You can Ignore the Muslim meme if you stay out of dodgy areas. Depends where you go.
Where exactly are you planning on visiting?
>>
File: 100_0864.jpg (1MB, 3280x2460px) Image search: [Google]
100_0864.jpg
1MB, 3280x2460px
>>1244835
Here is a thing we did a couple of years ago (Norway that is).

This is a seven hour train run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7VYVjR_nwE

this is a 5 day boat ride in 10 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSzlepUiEA

Norway is good if you want to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-lklHho-k4

Sweden is a flat country with many trees and fields. But many old buildings in towns. The country is very centralized so they have towns here and there compared to norway that is more decentralized.

I do recommend walking up galdhopiggen. You can be up and down in 5-6 hours. The view up there on a good day is breathtaking
Pic related
>>
>>1245482
I have no definite plans yet but I was thinking at least Stockholm, Vasteras (my family knows a Swedish family from there but we have not heard from them in nine years,) Gothenburg, Malmo. As far as rural areas I need to do some reading. Seeing the midnight sun above the arctic circle sounds like fun.
>>
>>1245683
I'd like to spend $10,000 US or less and stay at least two weeks.
>>
>>1245419
Dont fuck with bears and bears won't fuck with you. Same applies for elks.
>>
>>1245487
10/10 picture, great refrence
>>
On my way to iceberg. Norway, i was there 4 years ago.
>>
>>
Oslo
>>
>>
>>1244835
For Denmark: Ignoring the obvious places like Copenhagen and Århus, the southern part of Fyn, the islandbetween the peninsula and the main island, is very idyllic.
Some "bigger" cities in Svendborg, Fåborg and Nyborg and a lot of super cozy small villages, plus a lot of small islands to the south.

A bit more out there: The island of Bornholm in the Baltic Sea. There are a lot of Scandinavian and German tourists in summer, but I don't know how well-known it is further away. The sun is always shining and it has a lot of nice small towns.
>>
>>1245888
I didn't mean ignore the southern part of Fyn. On the contrary, I reccommend going there.
>>
>>1245888
Would also like to throw Aalborg in there, if you are into night life.
They have a very famous party street, and the city consists of 20% university students. The night life is great and non-threatening.
>>
The Lofoten islands in northern Norway are great, both in summer and winter. Tromso is pretty cool too, very active city, great nightlife, and in the winter you can do the Northern Lights tour. They take you out to the wilderness, away from civilization, set up a bonfire and drink coffe/alcohol and eat snacks while waiting for the northern lights to show up.
>>
>>1245888
I was pleasantly surprised at Horsens... It's near Aarhus, but was a lot more interesting. It has a lot of early-industrialization history if you're into that
>>
>>1245888
>>1246966

Check out Ribe if you have time as well. It's the oldest city in Denmark.

The most expensive thing about Denmark is the accommodation
>>
My family has a summer house in Northen Sweden close to Umeå. After staying there for some time I'm thinking about taking the ferry to Vaasa in Finland. Has anyone been there and is there something interesting to see/do by the cost South/North of that? Is Turkuu or Oulo interesting for example?
>>
>>1244835
Hi there, I am currently in Sweden. Pretty much going from town to town:

I post the current videos on:
https://www.youtube.com/user/aggrovreak/videos

I took the ferry from Rostock (Germany) to Trelleborg and went on from there heading north. Currently staying in Uppsala. Public transport is easy here. Train as well as busses are going in pretty all directions.

About Iceland: I was there last year and the year before. As my previous posters mentioned during the season (april-sept) a lot of tourists are there (american and european continent). Many rent a car and do the ring route. During summer it is also possible via bike. Lonely planet has probably the latest on it. But local plane routes e.g to Seydyisfrydur or the north are cheap (if booked in advance). I have some videos on my YT channel as well.

From Iceland if you like, you can go to Greenland. During summer it is actually a nice stay. During off seasons, Umanaq, Sisumut and Kangelusuag have usually -45° and all ports are frozen.

Don't forget the Faroer islands. Quite chill and busses and ferries connect you to all the places. During off season most sites are empty but you can still go there.

Will post about FI, NO and DK later.
Cheers
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.