[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Singapore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 573q564235725477.jpg (136KB, 1140x458px) Image search: [Google]
573q564235725477.jpg
136KB, 1140x458px
Hey /trv/

Considering moving to Singapore for work, what can you tell me of the city? How do they treat foreigners? Is it easy to acquire work/education if you're not a native?
>>
Why not prepare for your new life in such an entrepreneurial society by doing some basic research of your own? From your post, you seem like a school student.
>>
>>1244714
Asking people who have experience with the city isn't doing research of my own? Fuck off and don't post if you're going to be a faggot about it.
>>
>>1244709
>Considering moving to Singapore for work, what can you tell me of the city?
It's clean. Hot and sticky year round. Efficient. High standard of melodious English spoken by nearly everyone. It is as strict as its reputation. It's quite expensive, particularly for housing, alcohol, and good restaurants (although hawker centres and a few hole-in-the-wall mom n' pop restaurants are pretty cheap). I find it a bit boring compared to other cities in Southeast Asia, but it's definitely a first-world city with all modern conveniences. (I never lived there full-time, but I did a few extensive work jaunts of a few months each).
>How do they treat foreigners?
Well enough, as long as they're not domestic servants, migrant construction workers, or prostitutes, all of whom may have a rough time. But the population is nearly 1/4 expat, so it can't be that bad.
>Is it easy to acquire work/education if you're not a native?
It's typical for expats to come in with their jobs--most get sent as transfers within multinationals. I've never met anyone who showed up jobless, applied for work locally, then started working, but perhaps that happens too.
>Education
Many of the graduate students at the National University of Singapore are foreigners, mostly from other parts of Asia. I have friends who've taken courses at the Lee Kwan Yew School of Public Policy there. It's not cheap, though.
>>
>>1244716
Cheers anon, I appreciate the replies.
>>
>>1244709
>>1244716
Is in American law degree of any use abroad?

I don't want to live here anymore.
>>
>>1244763
I know people with American law degrees here in Canada, but it's probably more similar than asian countries.
>>
>>1244763
I know American and Canadian JDs with senior gigs at NGOs and other institutions in Asia; I don't personally know any lawyers who are actually practicing law in Asia, but I know some who've worked in Asian offices of US-based, multinational biglaw outfits. If you can be of assistance to someone who wants to work in, move to, or do business in the US, you should have options as a lawyer.
>>
>Drug traffickers are killed as a matter of course
>alcohol consumption is lower than some Arab countries
>The streets are kept clean not through any particular discipline of the citizenry, but through the use of a vast army of quasi slaves
>Most inhabitants are insular prudes who think rather highly of themselves
>The political class run the country as a profit-making company held by a small handful of interrelated families, who view the plebs as curious talking animals with the inconvenient ability to vote

That being said, if your tastes in entertainment are fairly bland, you enjoy warm weather and spicy food, you have money to spend and are employed in an industry deemed desirable, they'll roll out the carpet for you and you'll probably have a pretty good time.
>>
File: 1491112717163.gif (73KB, 675x227px) Image search: [Google]
1491112717163.gif
73KB, 675x227px
>>1244714
>Singapore
>Entrepreneurial
>>
>>1244709
I'm moving there in November for work OP but I have only spent one night walking around Orchard Road so I can't really tell you too much.
>>
>>1244813
>If you can be of assistance to someone who wants to work in, move to, or do business in the US, you should have options as a lawyer.

So far my job hunting experience has been limited to University career fairs, I can definitely see how my skills could be used by a foreign company that wants to work within the us as well, what I don't know is how best to approach them to apply, or inquire about open positions. But posts have given me hope so I will look into it.

Thanks anons
>>
Singapore general we just had.

http://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/1210391/
>>
>>1244827
How is low alcohol consumption and harsh drug laws a negative?
>>
>>1244709
What kind of work? HK is better overall.
>>
>>1244828
This. Nothing more than a dystopic police-state "utopia".
>>
>>1244709
Singapore is a comfortable place as long as you can stand constant 30+ degree hit year round.

Singaporeans are, as the other guy said, insular and unfriendly people. The main races all keep to themselves. The Chinese in particular are arrogant. The Indians won't want anything to do with you not really out of arrogance but just massive racial and cultural difference. Malays are probably the best of the ethnic groups to deal with there.

Singapore is small and gets boring after all the standard stuff is exhausted (quickly). Expats all just drink to pass the time and it's not uncommon to see the same expat you saw in Arab Street at some club the next week, even if you weren't trying to look for them.

The girls aren't particularly good looking. Like none of the Indian girls are pretty.

Food is awesome and cheap. Really Singapore is pretty comfy. The garden city reputation thing is deserved and I like all the greenery. But I couldn't live there for more than a year, I'd probably go crazy.

By the way, Singapore is way less first world-ish than I expected. Outside of the financial district skyscrapers it can be kind of gritty.
>>
I've been there 2-3 times.

It was a pretty nice place, super clean city... the people were about the same as they were in Japan (granted there was a language barrier). They seemed friendly enough.

It does get pretty hot there, so if you're from somewhere cold you'll definitely need some time to adjust.
>>
>>1246468
>the people were about the same as they were in Japan (granted there was a language barrier). They seemed friendly enough.

Lol wat.

Japanese are almost annoyingly polite, Singaporeans are not polite at all.
>>
>>1244827
That sounds perfect holy shit. Moving there ASAP
>>
>>1246701
Because dude, what about muh durrmocracy and muh hoomin rites
>>
>>1246558
>Japanese are almost annoyingly polite
fuck off weebshit
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.