[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Visiting major cities in the USA cheaply and avoiding tourist traps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: chicago.jpg (81KB, 570x379px) Image search: [Google]
chicago.jpg
81KB, 570x379px
So I'm going to be in the US for about a month and a half and want to see a lot of cities but on a budget. This is my first time travelling in another country solo, so I'm a little bit daunted, but very excited. I'm 25, M from the UK. I'm definitely visiting:

San Francisco
Las Vegas (I already have most of this part planned as I'm going to be playing poker most of the time, but would like to see the Grand Canyon and experience some of the nightlife)
Chicago
New York City (and staying with a friend upstate in Rochester)

I'm thinking about Toronto and Montreal too. How easy is it to go between the US and Canada?

Any recommendations on things to see?
Cheap places to stay?
What's the best way to travel between places?
Anywhere else you'd add to my list?
>>
Is that a big fava bean? yummy!
>>
Have a look on http://www.citypass.com

They sell ticket bundles for the biggest attractions in all of the major cities, including Toronto at a 40-50% discount.
>>
>>1243809
>not going see the big easy
>going see chicago
Why? Chicago fucking sucks

Trust me, hit New Orleans, it's unlike any city you've ever been too guarenteed, you can also try some real food for once instead of your British shit
>>
>>1243822
>an anglo and an american fighting about food
my holy keks
>>
>>1243829
Lol south Louisiana has the best food in the world, and if you disagree you haven't tried it
>>
What's the cheapest way to travel between cities?

I'm surprised that coaches and trains actually aren't cheaper than flying, but surely there's a cheaper option that flying
>>
>>1243822
>Chicago fucking sucks

Oh, it does not. Shut up.
>>
>>1243859
Okay Chicago doesn't suck to someone who has never seen a city before, what does Chicago have that NY doesn't?
>>
>>1243809
Checkout Timeout + [city name] for things to do in most cities.

If the weather is nice in Chicago, spend an afternoon at the beach of lake Michigan (the water is clean enough to swim in too). An architecture tour in the loop is also a fairly inexpensive way to kill an afternoon.
>>
>>1243809
When i was in Chicago, that Bean area was full of Muslims, so you shouldn't get home sick.
>>
>>1243822
This.

Visit the French Quarter in New Orleans. It's small but very pretty with delicious food, lots of tourists, and beautiful architecture. Walk around during the day, then hit up Bourbon street at night to get shit-faced.

San Francisco will always be the #1 US city for me though. I've taken several trips there and always have a great time. Walking along the Embarcadero pier, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, the Golden Gate Bridge, Market Street, Victorian houses everywhere, Golden Gate Park, and soo many more places to see.
>>
>>1243898
Where did you stay in San Francisco and would you recommend it?
>>
>>1243846
Since OP mentioned Canada - Megabus is a good cheap-ish bus line that would take you between Montreal, NYC, Toronto, possibly Chicago too.
>>
>>1243809
crossing into Canada From Detroit Michigan or Port Huron Michigan is pretty simple. I do it quite often with no hassle
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.