[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Realistically, how safe is South America?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: 89902-004-E917533B.gif (137KB, 459x563px) Image search: [Google]
89902-004-E917533B.gif
137KB, 459x563px
I'm thinking about spending a few months in Santiago, Chile; Buenos Aires, Montevideo, and possible in Curitiba and Floripa in Brazil. Can anyone offer any non-bs opinions on the safety of these places? I understand bad things can happen anywhere (I've lived in NYC my whole life), but I kind of wouldn't want to get stabbed or shot on vacation.
While looking on the internet, I'd get varying opinions from things like "you'll get stabbed in broad daylight in Buenos Aires" to "you have nothing to fear, you can walk around at night without a problem". Does anyone have real advice/experiences? Is it okay to assume that, for the most part, I'd be able to stay away from violent crime/mugging if I try to blend in clothing wise, know which neighborhoods to stay away from, and learn a bit of the local language (Spanish dialect) I should be fine? Or is it better to skip S.A for now?
>>
I live y Buenos Aires. Is like every where, you need to know where to go and where not. Buenos Aires city is big, but if you think in de near cities (AMBA) are 13 millon people. You will go to some tourist places and stay a few days, you will be fine. Night is relatively secure. Come on spring or summer. Avoid look like a tourist, too obvious.
>>
They're not first world countries so you should exercise caution. Don't flash your mobile or cash.

Stay at the best neighborhoods. Dress for the place/occasion you're going. Don't wander at night except in affluent neighborhoods and if the locals do the same.

General streetwise, anon.

t. brazilianthat had been in every single city in your list
>>
Thanks for the help :) I'll probably be going in January or so. Would you say its comparable to any European city in terms of safety? Also, Since Argentina is pretty diverse, being tall, blond hair and blue eyed wouldn't be a dead tourist giveaway?
>>
>>1241805
Buenos Aires like every robber is on a motorbike or in a shitbox car pulling up to you at a traffic light and putting a gun in your face. Walking around the streets in the day is fine, in good areas of course.

At night, well it's rolling the dice. Some nights it's fine and other nights you run into a pack of robbing scumbags. That's why you keep hearing different stories of BA because some days you roll down the street drunk and nobody takes anything and other days some guy decides to shoot you because you took too long to get your bag off or wallet out.

Honestly NYC is probably more dangerous than all of those cities you mentioned (except BA).
>>
>>1241830
NYC is not dangerous at all these days
>>
>>1241830
NYC is a safe city. It hasnt been dangerous for years.
>>
>>1241851
>>1241853
You can still get robbed there NYC isn't Utah
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/08/subway-robbery-2-sought/

Like I said those other cities (except BA) are likely safer than NY
>>
>>1241857
no shit there is still SOME crime...but it's very safe as far as major US cities go.
>>
>>1241857

Except they aren't.

None of the cities on OP's list are safer than New York. Crime is virtually nonexistent in the touristic parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Save for a few sketchy blocks in Harlem, the Meatpacking District, and bits of the outer boroughs, I've never felt unsafe in NYC.

Contrast that to how I've felt in almost every Latin America city I've visited. I'm not a fearful cunny, either - statistics back me up. Most all of Central and South America is considerably more violent and crime-ridden than NYC.

Having said that, I'd still tell OP not to worry. Use common sense and be street smart. Don't wander on the beach alone after nightfall, don't bring out cards and tons of cash when you're going to the club, don't wander down alleyways, etc
>>
>>1241805
The thing about Latin America is that you have to realize that people who speak English are almost always white middle class and hate themselves for having to live there. They are educated to see their countries faults but not rich enough to move to Miami or study abroad so they constantly bash on their countries online. It's mostly Brazilians that take the self hating on a whole new level.

I have been to all big cities in Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia and Rio + Sao Paulo and can tell you that they are no different than other cities in the western world. They have slums, but you won't enter those slums.

City centers and tourist interests are always safe. City centers are always busy during the day so you can take photos as you like. After sunset city centers empty out completely. Most people that get robbed in SA get robbed after going drinking and then returning by foot to their city center hostel, which will in an empty side street. Don't walk under bridges or next to large roads, try to use big main streets and don't use some small streets.

You won't stand out anywhere unless you open your mouth.

If you want to go 100% camouflage, buy a shirt of a local football club or a jacket and no one in ARG/CL/URU/PARA/BR will even bat an eye at you. Wearing one of them will make you invisible. Pic related.

Also most people that get robbed are the kind of people that are going to get jumped anywhere in the world. They look weak and really touristy. I cannot explain it but no one would bother with you if there are two American girls that shout around on the metro in English.

Girls for some reason stand out much more if they are tourists, you can tell really easily. I can't really explain.

For dressing I remember not many people wearing colorful sneakers. Try to wear sneakers that don't show off too much because down there no one will be able to buy some $150 Nike sneakers even if they are middle class.
>>
File: villeros.jpg (77KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
villeros.jpg
77KB, 720x540px
>>1241932
The people you want to avoid in Argentina look like pic related.
>>
>>1241933
So if you want to blend in as I said wear some football club shirt/jacket, normal jeans and some darker sneakers. Noone will talk to you or bother you
>>
Love the football shirt idea.

Just avoid slums. I use taxis more frequently than I would in the US especially at night. Call taxis don't beckon them.
Ask a hostel / hotel where to avoid and avoid.
Avoid using phone on street. Don't speak English loudly on phone in public. Don't ride bus and use phone, don't ride bus after 9 (pretty good rule). Don't fumble with change on the bus. Be prepared, pay, subirse and bajarse.
>>
You can do like the americans tourists I have seen at a hostel in Rio de Janeiro.
You can go there, stay there watching movies (they watched "pulp fiction" back then), play shit games only gringos would play and cross the street to eat at subways (always take way, never stay there) and then you can go back home and say how awesome and "exotic" was your trip.

Or you can be a true travel™ and go to slums, talk to people, eat street food, do things.

Choose wisely.
>>
What about little brown skinned asian like me being in Brasil? Will I blend in good?
>>
>>1241932
>>1241945
>football shirt is invisibility shrowd
won't you become susceptible to be jumped by a bunch of the rival club's supporters though?

I've heard that in England you can wear anything *but* a football shirt, as any football shirt of any country gets you animies among the drunken trash
>>
>>1241965
That's why I linked the jacket of the Argentine national team. Their immigrants love football. Everyone loves the national team.
>>
What about Brazil, with no portugese/spanish, how likely are you to get shifted?
Also, where to get in touch with brazil ladyboys?
>>
>>1241932
I agree with everything in thise post
Was in the downtown non touristy parts of Rio and had no problems i looked like a local.

Even went out at night just follow what the ordinary people do and you avoid getting robbed and maybe try not to drink so much i don't drink at all so it's a non issue
>>1241945
also sit by old ladies on the bus
>>1241954
except don't go to the slums man
I'm a brown manlet and blended in well i would advice against it but do interact witht he city just be normal and do fun stuff there is lots to do in Big cities especially Rio

>>1241959
yes if you wear the right cloths you would blend in well
try to learn some Portuguese just basic stuff is fine
>>
File: img_45521.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
img_45521.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>1241976
Why not go to slums? It's interesting. The tourists slums are pacified so nothing happens. You can take a motorbike-taxi which is pretty fun and eat some cheap and good shit. See the Michael Jackson statue or go on a hike to Morro Dois Irmaos, best view of all Rio, pic related.

In Northern Rio are the real slums you shouldn't go there but you still can take the metrocable, I think it runs over the slum Alemão and is impressive. People need to remember that people living in the slums are not people that would rob your shit the second they see you. Most of them are normal people like you and me.

Also one tip for Brazil, if you see black children walking around in groups (4-5 guys) enter a shop. That's how robbings happen. Especially if they have bicycles and stuff.
>>
>>1241973
first off ladyboys are aisn trannies mainly sEA
Travesti is the local south american term for them.
Spanish is mostly useless in Brazil But you do need to know some basic Portuguese

are you trying to pick up street girls?
If so You need to pick the spots wisely

If you are going to be in Rio a good spot where the girls are not crooks is
Gomes Freire near cafe bar social

They will be out as early as 8 or 9 and there till around midnight or later sometimes
this area does have many people in it it's not dangerous there are love motels near you can fuck them at the price is very cheap there is a pharmacy near by you can buy condoms at so it's all good.

Use translator if you need to ask something make sure to negotiate what the price includes always ask for full sex
Some phrases you need to use are
"Oi gata" it mean hey cat and it's cute or whatever
"quanta custa a programa" this means how much does it cost in referance to the program which is what they call a sex service
"Voce beijos" you kiss
"Voce chupara" you suck or "Eu chupa você" for i suck you off

If not all you need to do is use the internet seeing Travestis with no language skills isn't so hard you can use a translator if you need to say something specific

You can use Tinder and many are prostitutes and the ones who aren't may still want to sleep with you
few speak english
>>
>>1241973
No, they don't speak much English. Especially not outside Copacabana and the airport. Also people who say you can get by speaking Spanish are joking, they will understand you but you won't understand a word of what they say as Portuguese sounds a lot different.

If you are in Rio/SP you can use Tinder to meet girls. I don't look anything special and there I got matches like crazy.
>>
>>1241988
Tnx brah.
Will look for some online stuff also, i guess getting a local sim with voice and data plan is a must, then just go there and hang out.
Is it purely pay4pleasere or do they date foreigners also? What is the STD/HIV situation like?

>>1241989
Yea, i was there only 2 days during olympics but couldnt take even a couple hours off. Was only airport > village > back home. During that time i tinderd like crazy and had couple matches even tho im nothing special (get like 1-3 matches per day in western cities).
>>
>>1241932
OP here again. Thanks for all the help! :)

So would i be correct in assuming that out of Santiago, BA, Motevideo, and Floripa/Curitiba, Buenos Aires would be the most dangerous( or just where I should be most alert?)

Also, Soccer jerseys/jackets generally are expensive (like $100 ish). does that not give away wealth? And from some internet sites and BA people on instagram, they all seem to dress really well. Is there a fine line between dressing nicely, looking like a tourist, and dressing down/poor?

And one more thing, my family is from Poland and I speak Polish so if someone asks should I just say I'm from Poland and not the U.S so people wouldn't assume wealth? Or am I thinking too much and being a bit too condescending/offensive?

Thanks!
>>
>>1242015
No, Brazil is always more dangerous because they have widespread slums and lots of drugs and people aren't afraid to use guns there.

But you won't encounter any of that because you are staying in the tourist areas.

No because you don't buy the official Adidas version but a fake one lol but as there is no difference noone would know it.

The only people that are dressed well are the people working there in the city center. People in their 20s dress the same like everywhere else. All the girls wear hideous plateau shoes, it's unique. Ah what i remembered, a lot of people have Jahnsport backpacks.

People won't assume anything because they don't know Poland, but all Eastern Europe immigrants are known as Polacko so yeah. Doesn't mean anything. A lot of people don't like the US after a decade of Kirchner anti-US brainwashing.
>>
>>1241997
>Will look for some online stuff also, i guess getting a local sim with voice and data plan is a must, then just go there and hang out.
Oh yes do that if you have an international phone (GMS) get a local sim that shit is cheap and you can recharge online
Download Whatsapp everyone uses it

>Is it purely pay4pleasere or do they date foreigners also?

Well I had a few who wanted to date me, many want boyfriends but many already have them. Brazilian people like foriegners alot actually.
There was a one trans girl who was a prostitute who i took out on dates and shit just becuase i wanted to, we went sight seeing around Rio and i took her to dinner, we went to the beach and shit and we made out on the beach.

I was only there for a month and honestly i went a little crazy and wanted to fuck many tgirls
Probably could have found someone who wanted something casual and hang with her for the whole time thinking about doing that this next trip to Brazil

You can find some casual girls on tinder and POF(plenty of fish)
you can also try contacting on Facebook

If you want some of the profiles i have saved you can drop a throwaway email and i'll give you a shit load of profiles from both sites.

There are facebook groups for dating too just search "travesti" and the city name

>>What is the STD/HIV situation like?

lower than the USA

Brazil actually had an amazing std prevention program it has sort of gotten gutted but you see the results as Brazil has a lower HIV rate despite being much poorer

Condoms are cheap as hell and pretty much all prostitutes have and use condoms

I had to buy my own for reasons, and they are so cheap i would suggest just buying your own there unless you have a favorite brand.

Rio and Sao paulo are good cities for decently educated transsexuals many who are working on getting better jobs and many who are at least educated in safe sex and shit
>>
>>1242015
>So would i be correct in assuming that out of Santiago, BA, Motevideo, and Floripa/Curitiba, Buenos Aires would be the most dangerous( or just where I should be most alert?)
I think Curitiba is worse for homocides although it's all drug violence and i think BA is worse for pick pocketing
the other ones are not that bad at all all safer than Atlanta,Ga
>>
>>1242038
Tnx man nice 1st hand info. My spambox
[email protected]
>>
>>1242186
sent facebooks will sent POF when i get off of work
>>
>>123050284
Is this real? Wtf Brazil?
>>
File: 1488602333636.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1488602333636.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
The only real dangerous place in South America is Mejico, and they give a bad image to everyone else.
>>
>>1241828
Is this an Argentina bait thread?
>>
>>1241857
Dude you had to go back two months for your last robbery in Manhattan. This fucking delusion.
>>
>>1241878
The Bronx is the only objectively unsafe part of the city and that may even just be a meme from my friends who went to Fordham, because they get targeted as unawares college kids. I walk around wasted, drinking in public late at night in Harlem and the black guys on the corner are friendly at worst.
>>
I live in Curitiba, beautiful city but one of the 50 most violents of THE WORLD

Just be careful and don't show any phone, wach and etc. You will be fine, the murders here happens with people who deal with drugs. The major danger is to get robbed, especially if you don't know anything about where to go. I live in a violent neigtboor but the bandits don't mess with people from here. Kek.
>>
>>1242437
>neighborhood
>watch
>>
>>1242369
The Bronx isn't even that bad, if it were its own city it wouldn't even be top 50 most dangerous in the US I bet.

I've been there quite a few times, even drunk and at night, and nothing bad ever happened.

Also keep in mind that The Bronx is big, and has enough people to be a major city. So the neighborhoods vary in quality, byt even the worst are okay if you have common sense.
>>
>>1242355
This tbqhwy
>>
>>1241933
Same people you want to avoid in Uruguay.

Also Uruguay is pretty safe, I always walk my way to anywhere, going through really bad neighborhoods and nothing has happened to me yet. Tho, there will always be some opportunists, they'll ask you for your phone, just say "no Fuck off nigger" and unless they have a gun keep telling them to fuck off. If there is a knife just run.

Still, most of them will get out as soon as they see that you are not giving them anything.
>>
>>1242355
Mexico is in North America you, you ..... argh
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.