[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many hours should I spend on a museum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 148046348438788481.jpg (95KB, 700x465px) Image search: [Google]
148046348438788481.jpg
95KB, 700x465px
So, I'll be traveling to Europe in two months, I'll spend 5 days on Netherlands and the other 15 I still don't know (probably Austria, Germany and Spain)

I want to ask specifically about museums: how many hours are necessary in a good one, such as Prado and Rijksmuseum? I've been studying the collections for some time, so I want to spend the whole day there if possible.
>>
File: [email protected] (30KB, 617x349px) Image search: [Google]
dama-elche-kzNI--620x349@abc.jpg
30KB, 617x349px
Its better to visit them several times.
>>
File: 1480390476704.jpg (39KB, 573x573px) Image search: [Google]
1480390476704.jpg
39KB, 573x573px
That's a pretty subjective question. It's up to you. Some museums deserve more time than others. I blew through the Lourve in about 5 hours. I know that is not enough time but in all honesty I just don't care about it all that much, but I couldn't not go.

It depends on how important the art is to you and how much time you want to dedicate to staring at it, which is all you'll be doing.
>>
>>1240908
For the two museums you mentioned, I'd say most people would stay around 3 hours each, but you could spend weeks at museums this large. I personally spent a whole day at the Rijksmuseum earlier this year.
There is such thing as museum fatigue which can be caused by just becoming disinterested, emotionally and physically (theres a lot walking in big museums) overwhelmed, and just visiting too many museums in a short period of time. I find a lot of people spend most their time seeing the first part of a museum and then rushing through the rest so they can leave quicker. So watch out for that.
I suggest you look at the different audio tours you can do at the museums you want to visit. Most of them have a highlights tour which would be good if you only wanted to stay for a few hours.
>>
>>1240908
Usually it's 2h actually looking up the things you're most interested in and another 2h strolling around per day. Anything after that becomes sensory overload and you can't appreciate/memorize it anymore.

If you want to see a entire museum go there for some time over a stretch of 3-4 days.
>>
>>1240941
>There is such thing as museum fatigue which can be caused by just becoming disinterested, emotionally and physically (theres a lot walking in big museums) overwhelmed, and just visiting too many museums in a short period of time. I find a lot of people spend most their time seeing the first part of a museum and then rushing through the rest so they can leave quicker. So watch out for that.

Agreed re: museum fatigue. For really big, interesting museums or galleries I'll typically assume a whole day may be needed, and will budget my time accordingly. But I find that in practice a half day (perhaps six hours max, but probably a bit less) per museum is about all I can really appreciate. For a great many museums, you can be very tactical and see the specific exhibits or artworks you are interested in in a much more targeted way. If you don't know what you are looking for, some wandering and a looser timeframe is probably in your best experiential interest. For example, I spent not much more than two hours in the Louvre, but most of a day in the Musée d'Orsay.
>>
Really depends on how big the museum is or what you're particularly interested in.
For example I spent about 3-4 hours in the different museums in Vienna, while I spent half of my week in Madrid inside the Prado because I'm such a nerd for the Spanish Golden Age
>>
>>1241315
Thanks for reiterating what every other post has said in this thread.
>>
>>1240908
I don't know man but the Art History Museum in Vienna is the most beautiful museum (for its building and its collection) I have ever seen.
>>
>>1240908
In Prado I was expelled at the end of the day. It will always depend on the museum and on your time.
>>
>>1240908
I wouldn't worry so much. It's gonna be different for everyone and every museum.

I've spent days in Museums (Duxford and Bovington Tank museum) and rushed through others I was really looking forward to (Royal Armouries Leeds and the British Museum). You can never really tell until you get there.
>>
Prado is much bigger than Rijksmuseum.

surprised nobody mentioned that.

protip: usually museums put the most interesting stuff on the upper floor/ more remote areas, so that you can keep it "for the end".
In bigger museums, it's better to start with those, and skip some of the near-by parts. Anyway it's better to study the floor plan first and see what you are really interested in and what you can skip.
>>
>>1240908
I spent 3 whole days in the British museum. I was in the Rijksmuseum for one.
Really depends on what you like, how much you can handle and how much time you have.
>>
>>1240908
>Austria
The Hofburg Palace, aka "Sisi museum" is like almost a full day, like a 9 to 5 time period. You can take an guide led tour (recommended), because there are oddities regarding every piece of art or china in the apartments, esp their personal daily habits, all of which are interesting facts about Josef and Elizabeth that aren't obvious, like her exercise habits and possible anorexia, and his once weekly bathing, 12 course dinners in 25 minutes with no talking unless the king spoke first, and seeing 16hrs a day of visitors in his logs. Family mental health issues are paramount. Note both the king and queen slept in crappy turn of the century hospital style metal frame folding twin beds so they could travel with them. Then pick up the free audio tour device.

Protip: near the very end of the self-guided audio walking museum tour, you can rushy browse through the royal china collections, which are just too numerous to have on display. Instead, head out the door a bit early and right into the library next to the exit and go through some of the GREAT travel history in display cases through the library, from some of the predecessors of the Baedecker Guides that Sisi used (she was an avid traveler through their empire and spoke something like 11 languages fluently and thus well loved by her people). There's early travel marketing print ads and other travel gear, devices and inventions.

There's something like 155 museums in Wein, so you'll have to get advice from others how long each one requires. I do recommend a half-day trip though: taking the train down to Melk, and going into the Benedictine abbey museum there which is, I believe the oldest intact european library among a great art collection, frescoed church, and a great history of Benedict and founding of his order. The gardens are gorgeous. The medieval town itself is great. Return on the Wachau Valley danube cruise, richard the lionhart ruins, and great vineyard towns.
>>
The Hermitage in Saint Petersburg really, really overwhelmed me. I gave three hours and I felt like I had miles of artwork left to go, which I probably did.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.