[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sailing from Easter Island

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
Not sure if anyone remembers the post I made here a year and a half ago about going to the canary islands to find a boat that will take me to south america.

So I did actually find a boat, only, it was much much bigger than I expected. Hanging out at the gran canaria marina almost everyday, you hear all kinds of stuff and one guy told me about the repositioning cruises that leave europe for the summer season in south america. This happens every november. So when october passed by and I still couldnt find passage, I decided fuck it, imma take the cruise option instead.

While less adventurous, it turned out to be an amazing experience and came out much cheaper and faster than volunteering on a yacht - something around 400 euros for 11 days at sea, if i remember correctly. no regrets, and met cool people on board (digital nomads, hippies, freaks, latino jugglers trying to get home, etc.)

I know its an incredibly late update but i wanted to share information for any of those who wants to undertake the same journey. you might get luckier with the yachts in those islands as i have absolutely zero experience sailing. however, this is not stopping me from looking for another boat all over again, this time from easter island.

im currently in chile and will be flying out next month to easter island. from what i understand, right now is the season for sailing the south pacific because of the easterly winds and it is just before storm season. the plan is the same - hang out at the marina of hanga roa (i read theres none though?? didnt really understand when i searched and read about how its difficult to park boats there).

does anyone here know more information about what its like in hanga roa, how easy it might be to talk to sailors, and if there would be a lot of them hanging out there on the month of May? Im a bit nervous as the island is super remote so i might have to shell out a couple thousand dollars just to fly onwards to tahiti if i dont find a boat.

thanks!
>>
1. What are repositioning cruises?
2. What kind of ship did you travel on?
3. Where did you end up after 11 days?
>>
>>1239668
Not OP, but repositioning cruises are when companies move their ships to a different port at the start or end of the season. They sell discounted one-way tickets do they don't lose money on the fuel costs.
>>
>>1239668

yep, like the guy above me said.

about the ship, i remember it was around 270 meters, had like a 2000+ passenger capacity but i think there were only around 800 passengers during our crossing.

its like any typical cruise, with the massive pools, the jacuzzis, the gym, the clubs. there was even a paddle tennis cage, a ping pong table, and a climbing wall. first cruise of my life so i was properly impressed. i also had my own cabin and the drinks and food were unlimited. my days were spent gorging on food, going to the gym, and hanging out with this dude who taught capoeira lol. there was so much free time and obviously no interrnet, so a lot of random people taught random stuff during lulls in the the ship's "program". also, some french dudes brought a fuckton of acid on board and shared it with a lot of peeps. that was a crazy night. almost every night was, really.

we ended up in salvador de bahia after 9 days but i got off further south at santos, 2 days after.
>>
>>1239704
>>1239740

Thanks. That sounds amazing. I feel like a person that has just discovered bumsex after never knowing it existed. Can't believe I have never thought of the concept.

Do any cruise ships have satellite internet? I would not mind going on that 40+ day Valparaiso to Singapore, or 26 day Cape Town to Hong Kong route, as long as I could take care of biz for an hour a day.

http://www.repositioncruises.com
>>
>>1239749
Most do, but bandwidth is limited, reception is spotty and it's not a free service.
>>
>>1239749
Want another mind fuck?

You can rent an RV for a $1/day for the same reasons.
>>
any easter island tips then?
>>
I know someone in the cook islands who got there by hitchhiking from french polynesia so its most certainly doable. but easter islands is a bit too far from the proper polynesian area, no?
>>
>something around 400 euros for 11 days at sea, if i remember correctly.

That sounds waaaaaay too cheap desu.
>>
>>1239897
There's a camping place which is dirt cheap but completely unprotected, so if it rains and you have a shit tent, good luck.

Stuff you can buy there is expensive, but not more expensive than in Europe or USA. Definitely more expensive than in Chile mainland. You can bring 2x 23kg with LAN so maybe buy a cheap bag in Santiago and some food if you are bent on saving money.

If you are alone the best way to see the island is by bycicle.

I would say it takes a week to see everything.

10/10 would recommend going there
>>
>>1239639
i'd advise against hanging out on Easter island waiting for a boat for the simple reason that if you'll end up overstaying your tourist visa-free stay (3 months for most countries) no boat will take you, and you'll have to return to the mainland and sort out your immigration first. So why not make it a round trip in the first place. There should be much more options to cross the pacific from the mainland, and Valpo should be more fun to hang out around than Easter island - for more than a few days anyway
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.