[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/trv/ + /his/ I need help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: 1426963485677.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1426963485677.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
I've recently started a relationship with a girl who, like me, shares a passion for history. There are a few interesting historical sites here in South West England to visit such as Wells Cathedral and Glastonbury Abbey, what I'm looking for are lesser-known historical sites we can visit on a day out. Bonus point if it's Roman-related, she loves ancient Rome
>pic unrelated
>>
File: Burlington Telephone Exchange.jpg (41KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
Burlington Telephone Exchange.jpg
41KB, 624x351px
>>1236924
>Bonus point if it's Roman-related
You'll be needing to visit the aptly-named city of Bath, then.
There are also significant Roman remains in Cirencester, and it would be worth paying the bridge toll and venturing over to Wales to see Caerleon. Avebury is probably as impressive looking as Stonehenge, and you'll see the Kennet long barrows and Silbury hill on the same road. Cadbury Camp in North Somerset has some impressive earthworks, and Cadbury Castle futher south does too. If you're in Bristol, see if you can get a tour of Redcliffe Caves, see the camera obscura and Ghyston's cave up on the Downs. The harbourside Industrial Museum is pretty cool if they're having a steam day, you can take a ride along some rarely-used track that most people don't even realise is there. If you like steam power then visit Westonzoyland pumping station, or when in Caerleon see the Sudbrook pumping station, which has some truly massive Cornish beam engines. Oldbury Nuclear Power Station (or possibly Berkeley) is open for visits and is pretty interesting. For something really different, contact the Ministry of Defence or Subterranea Britannica to see if you can get access to the Burlington Bunker under Rudloe Manor, Corsham. There are "unofficial" ways in - you could go hunting for one of the legendary "Red Doors"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEL3IVWYxs0

Will post a few more as I remember 'em.
>>
File: Dunster.jpg (217KB, 963x664px) Image search: [Google]
Dunster.jpg
217KB, 963x664px
>>1237037
Also,
>Blaise Castle Museum (Kingsweston Roman Villa is nearby)
>Dunster Castle and village
>Tarr Steps
>the Sweet Track on the Somerset Levels
>the SS Great Britain and The Matthew
>see if you can find King Alfred's "palace" in Pucklechurch - it's known there was one there somewhere, but it remains as yet unfound.

Those are just vaguely the Somerset area and nearby - Devon and Cornwall have even more. Plymouth in particular has loads of historical stuff.
>>
>>1237050
>Old Sarum
>Corfe Castle
>The Kennet and Avon Canal
>Stanton Drew standing stones
>Exeter Cathedral
>Dartmoor Prison
>Wheal Martyn
>Hallsands
>the Roman Road in the Forest of Dean
>the Purton ship graveyard
>Steepholm
>Tintagel
>>
>>1237037
>>1237050
>>1237060
Thanks man! much appreciated I've made a list of all of those places and i'll draw up some ideas for a day out for the two of us. feel free to drop more suggestions here if you get any more ideas
>>
>>1237064
There's the ruins of a Roman palace in Fishbourne near Chichester, with great mosaic flooring. It's not South West England anymore but it's not that far.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.