[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where don't you get swindled? I've heard from a lot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: 1478972017005.jpg (226KB, 2000x1292px) Image search: [Google]
1478972017005.jpg
226KB, 2000x1292px
Where don't you get swindled?

I've heard from a lot of whites about their trips to Asia and Africa. The common theme is that wherever they went that wasn't white (we have to say it) the locals tried to extort as much money from them as possible, with methods that would get them thrown in jail in "first world" countries. So which non-whites don't openly rob you?
>>
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Tourists are targeted as sources of money everywhere. Any tourist destination on the globe will have a community of people trying to hustle as much money as they can from the tourists. I think in most places it helps to just look "off the beaten path" so to speak.
>>
Americans don't realize that haggling is normal in a lot of countries so they just pay what they're told to pay.
>>
>>1234747
>with methods that would get them thrown in jail
it's untrue, the same happens in the west as well
>>
>>1234747
>So which non-whites don't openly rob you?
Rural ones.
>>
I am white af, I don't get ripped off any more or less when I leave home. Therefore I think you just lack the skills...
>>
>>1234747
>implying that you don't get ripped off in tourist destinations all over Europe
>>
>>1234747
Japan
>>
>>1234747
you know you are supposed to bargain in South America, right?
>>
>>1234747
Except for taxis that can try to extort you for more than the bargained fare when you stepped into the vehicle, not run their meter (big tipoff of a crook), so hit you when you exit the vehicle for more (have exact change is one pro-tip because the change WILL be the tip, if not).
Some cities seem to have more commonplace taxi corruption, and that's why there are airport queues and prepaid booths for airport transport. It was once far more cutthroat.
I don't really get swindled, often, but sometimes you do pay much more than you think is fair. Get pissed off about it. Don't give in. Using basic common sense like not ordering from any dinner (or wine) menu with no prices means to just get up and leave that place immediately. Understanding (European) restaurants might have different prices to stand up at a counter, dine inside vs dine outside. Sodas or any other drink never has a free refill, all special requests will be stupid upcharges versus nicer a la carte pricing, etc.
Have your price in mind for something you wish to buy, and if you encounter any bull about your negotiating, you walk away, done deal. You know how many times they'll run after you and offer half price? That's when you think, yea no, I already walked away, or you gloat in your win. Go ahead and inquire about prices for taxis 3x, walk into various hotels and check the rate 3x. Talk to concierges, waiters, cashiers, about typical prices to go here or there, and after a while you'll have the information you need to know what is typical prices for things where it matters. If you can get a local to buy or order something for you, do it. Sometimes you'll find your local currency might be more valuable to them and preferred prices can be had. There's also a cash discount vs credit that you'll find really can add up with purchases. It helps them avoid taxes and the credit card fees both. Unlike in the US, a small business is really stiffed with the percent a bank takes.
>>
>rich country
>spend 15 bucks in a taxi
>everything goes normally, everyone happy

>poor country
>taxi ride costs $5, taxist tries to charge you $15
>FUCKING NIGGER SHIT DON'T GO TO (poor country) THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF AND THEY SMELL BAD

every time
>>
>>1235674
>>taxi ride costs $5, taxist tries to charge you $15
I had different experiences
>taxis are cheap as fuck
>taxi driver seems to have a death wish (he doesn't, everybody drives like that there) and drives fast as fuck to your destinations running red lights, speeding etc.
I'd have preferred to pay more and arrive in one piece
>>
>>1234747
I don't think you should travel if this is what you think about. Just stay home and eat your moms ham sandwiches.
>>
>>1234747
the short answer for me would be
>japan
>south korea
>hong kong
>switzerland
>germany
>poland

basically any country that either isnt too touristy or that is expensive. you are basically paying more in order not to get swindled here though, you can go to cheaper countries and find honest cities or towns where you people will starve to death before they charge you a dollar over what you owe. the more honest people are in some of the poorest countries. there are also scams everywhere if you get into nightlife and anything involving partying or women.

imo its cheaper to lose some cash in your first few days in a shady country and figure out how shit works, then spend a few months there. its also more fun and interesting.
>>
You don't get swindled in India. You get bamboozled.
>>
>>1235792
I would add Singapore to that list. Their citizenry simply do not step out of line.
>>
>>1236007
Dubai outside of the old souk.
>>
Israel - seriously. Most civilised country in that part of the middle east.
>>
>>1236099
Nice try, Shlomo. Everyone in Israel will try to rip you off constantly. At least try to make a less ridiculous claim next time.
>>
>>1235792
>you are basically paying more in order not to get swindled
That's some next level swindling.
>>
>>1236099
kek nice try shmuel
>>
>>1236106
underrated post
>>
>>1234747
any nation with a civilized culture
>>
>>1234747
Laos you won't be swindled. Neither will you be swindled in Bhutan although the high daily tax the regime in Bhutan charges could be considered swindling but it's more of a filter to prevent undesirable sexpats and drunks from getting in.

Japan you won't be swindled, or generally Taiwan you won't either. Oddly enough Swaziland the police are notoriously uncorrupt, likely the only police force in all of Africa who don't accept bribes and generally you won't be swindled in Swaziland either but half the country has AIDS and is very poor.

You also can avoid swindling if you know what not to do, like renting any kind of vehicle/bike/seadoo in a "developing" country. You will be held at gunpoint after and thousands of dollars extorted from you with the police summoned to help extort you further. Thailand/Cambodia you can expect this.
>>
>>1235792
Not always true, Czech Republic is full of scams and robberies, so is Barcelona and Italy.

Czech it's all organized, so often a taxi driver will take you somewhere to get robbed then the police will rob you afterwards too. That country is a cesspool of thieves.

Again it comes down to avoiding situations where they can scam you as a foreigner, so never to a bar on the second story which is where almost all the scam bars in Prague and Thailand are. Never trust any taxi drivers or rely on their advice ever it's always a scam. Avoid being set up by locals in bars and hotels for prostitution or something illegal it will end up a scam. Avoid gypsies and believe nothing they say, esp the scam of the crying pretty gypsy girl who asks for your help then leads you to an alley full of gangsters who beat and rob you. Remember the scams and robberies always happen where it's out of site and hard to get away, so upstairs somewhere or down an alley.
>>
>>1237317
the best scam in Prague is a small army of drug dealers openly selling in front of the police because none of it is real and peddled to Brits too drunk to notice they're snorting baby powder or swallowing placebos.
>>
>>1237317
i didnt mention any of those three countries....
>>
>>1237325
Haha they do this in Budapest selling fresh mint and basil as weed.
I normally have sympathy for people who are scammed, but when I see tourists buy mint thinking it's weed... I'm with Joanne.
>>
I probably got ripped off all the time in Thailand but didn't notice as I was too busy spending my holiday budget. Still ended up shoving 15k into a street kid help program donation box in the airport.
They say everybody hates a tourist but I think we Real Tourists live a charmed life.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.