[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kaliningrad!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: kaliningrad-001.jpg (480KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
kaliningrad-001.jpg
480KB, 1200x800px
Hey guys, I'm thinking of going to Kaliningrad, russian territory between Poland and Lithuania. There's not much info online, so I wanna know if anybody's been there, knows something, etc.

I'm interested in the city mostly because of its history: used to be Prussian, tons of great German thinkers were born there, Kant being the most famous. So I'm looking for tips, recommendations, etc.

For those of you interested, check out this cool wiki page on the city's history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6nigsberg#Culture_and_people_from_K.C3.B6nigsberg
>>
>>1234493
Don't visit this place, it is stolen lands by the Russians and you should not give them money.
>>
>>1234495
I know it is, but fuck it, am I supposed to wait until germans take it back?
>>
Don't be edgy and shitpost irl about Prussians. I believe it was poised to become independent back in the 90s but Russia wanted a base on the sea there in case Europe tried to fuck with their shit, now the place is loaded with military.

See the old Prussian palace, it got demolished but you can still see the courtyard, and behind it is the Hall of the Soviets that's cursed by underground tunnels that were beneath the palace, slowly sinking it so that it's condemned. All around it are commie-bloc apartments.

Other than that I don't know what much there is to see in Kaliningrad. I'd consider driving up to Vilnius and following the Baltic War route, where 2 million people linked hands up and down the 3 countries in peaceful protest to gain independence. Tbh the Baltics are much more interesting than Kaliningrad because they have their own culture.
>>
>>1234650
No it wasn't the Russians asked if we wanted to buy it back but our "conservative" chancellor had no interest in it, because it is quite frankly worthless land with no Germans in it.
>>
>>1234493
Idk man I will be in Vilnius for the summer and I was thinking of doing a day trip there.
It seems that they had a 72 hours tourist visa for Kaliningrad but they don't offer it anymore.

http://kaliningrad.mid.ru/en_GB/web/kaliningrad_en/home/-/asset_publisher/CyfIP6GPijdC/content/short-term-visas-tourism-72-hour-1?inheritRedirect=false&redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fkaliningrad.mid.ru%2Fen_GB%2Fweb%2Fkaliningrad_en%2Fhome%3Fp_p_id%3D101_INSTANCE_CyfIP6GPijdC%26p_p_lifecycle%3D0%26p_p_state%3Dnormal%26p_p_mode%3Dview%26p_p_col_id%3Dcolumn-1%26p_p_col_count%3D1
>>
bump?
>>
Why do you desire to see what happens when Russians are put in charge of Europe? Perspective?

Also - Lithuanians are cheats and cheapskeets. Keep your wits about you.
>>
Don't go there -- the Soviets ruined it and it's a meaningless place now for tourists.
>>
File: 1.jpg (491KB, 898x600px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
491KB, 898x600px
I'm that Russian that created the Moscow guide. I went to Kaliningrad a bunch of years ago.

You need to understand that this region was almost abandoned for decades as soviets regarded it as a military base. And then it almost didn't develop for two decades following the collapse of the USSR. Only in the past few years something started improving.

So, it is shitholish, a lot of things are crumbling, but still interesting, relatively cheap, some good food and you can easily drive here by car/moto, the roads are getting better with every year. They will also get a new airport next year that will greatly improve accessibility to European airlines.

Some things to do and know:
1) City will host WC 2018 and will look much better by this time.
2) It is a unique combination of old German architecture and soviet commieblocks.
3) Everyone thinks Kaliningrad's center is around the Cathedral, in fact it the real one is the Amalienau district with a lot of intact German mansions, nice shops and cafes.
4) Kaliningrad itself is not too interesting (but do visit Kant's grave and museum of the ocean with soviet sub and space intelligence ship); two German sea resorts, now Baltiysk and Sovetsk are within an hour's ride on a train and were almost not touched by WW2 unlike KGD that was raized to the ground.
5) Curonian Spit (picrelated) is a unique beautiful place and a must visit. Part of it is in Lithuania, but the Russian one is more "wild" and has some interesting places like a forest with anomalies where trees are strangely twisted.
>>
>>1235900
Also some abandoned and restored German castles in the region, a lot of abandoned German and soviet military objects, a small Russian fleet naval base (if you are a military fan), amber museum and cheap amber shops.

3-5 days are enough to see it all, consider a week if you'd like to stay at the seaside.
>>
yeah, there's history. But there are pretty much no phisical vestiges of it. The town was bombed down to shreds during WW2, and the resulting stones were trucked away to build stuff elsewhere. Everything you can see is soviet-quality-reconstruction.
Even Kant's tomb is a sham.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.