[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Texas Tourism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: map-of-texas-main-highways.gif (22KB, 468x475px) Image search: [Google]
map-of-texas-main-highways.gif
22KB, 468x475px
Will be traveling to Houston by car, going down i-30 then i45

Any experienced travellers or residents familiar with that area have advice on things not to miss? Food, night spots, tourist traps, etc. Anything to fill a road trip
>>
Stayed in TX for a few months, my favorite stuff to do:

>Old Branch Davidian church (you can still see their swimming pool and I hear rumors they have a museum opened of the siege from their side. Email the pastor well ahead of time to see, but the gates are almost always open)
>Ruth Paine house, which is cool as a separate part of the Kennedy tours. I asked the guide how many people go there, and I was the only tourist that week, where Oswald rented a home while working at the book warehouse, whose owner was letterwriting to Russia and sending money to political groups in Nicaragua. Cool if you like conspiracies
>Other JFK places in Dallas: Book warehouse, Dealey Plaza, Boarding Home, Oswald's grave
>Texas Ranger Museum, right near the Dr, Pepper museum and Waco
>>
>>1234479
Is there any reason you're going through Dallas instead of cutting south along 59 or 271/259? There's really not much of interest along those two interstates.

Along 45 there's a giant statue of Sam Houston in Huntsville. His grave is somewhere in town too.

There's a big Buc-ees along I-45 in Madisonville. If you're not familiar with Buc-ees, they're gigantic gas stations with ridiculously clean restrooms and essentially a mini-mall inside full of barbecue and Texas kitsch.

>>1234537
Half this stuff is in Waco. Not along OP's route.
>>
>>1234646
Shit, I saw I-30 going through Dallas and forgot how far a drive it was to Waco, this was a while ago and I'm used to long road trips.

Texas is a lot of boring from a tourist standpoint, honestly.
>>
>Texas is a lot of boring from a tourist standpoint, honestly.

This, speaking as a Dallas native. I don't know why people come to visit Dallas. I would rather go visit Austin or some Shit
>>
Daily bump
>>
>>1234479
>>1234915
>>1235496
Hey, OP. I'm this anon >>1234646 again.

I really wish I could help you, but I-30 east of Dallas and I-45 are two of the least interesting highways in Texas.

Unlike I-35, which passes through a lot of small cities/large towns from Dallas to San Antonio, I-30 and I-45 go through long stretches of empty agricultural land and a couple of forested areas, with only a few scattered small towns to break up the monotony.

There's interesting stuff in Dallas and in Houston, but those roads are pretty desolate. The one positive is that it only takes a few hours to go from one to the other, so you don't have to stop.

Dallas stuff for you:
>Perot Museum
>Dallas World Aquarium
>Trinity River Forest/Trinity River Audubon Center
>Deep Ellum and Lower Greenville
>>
Daily bump
>>
>>1234479
Houston resident here, there pretty much aren't any tourist traps here because I don't think we have tourists
>>
Daily bump
>>
>>1236322
Yeah, this is definitely one of the last places anyone would want to take a vacation to.
>>
From a tourist standpoint san antonio is where you want to be. Yeah there's touristy stuff there but it's closer to the better parts of the gulf coast, west texas wildness, hill country and south texas border area than Houston or Dallas, Austin is only an hour away. It has all the basic big city stuff those other cities have but more livable.
>>
>>1236655
Stop bumping this thread OP, you've been given your answer: these 2 highways have nothing of touristic value to offer. The most interesting things to see are which 2 stoplight towns on it have a whataburger in addition to the token mcdonalds and dairy queen. I guess Buccees counts as interesting if you're a millenial because it's hip to like """"""""unique""""""""""" gas station chains.
>>
>>1234479
Stop at a Buccee's on i45 outside of Madisonville (2/3 of the way down from Dallas to Houston) to see our stupidly large and customer friendly gas stations.

-Sam Houston statue just south of Huntsville

-visit Austin instead

I did the hou/dallas i45 drive several times a year for years. It's really fucking boring. Don't die.

Apart from that, use Yelp to find an independent TexMex or BBQ smokehouse. Woody's smokehouse on the feeder of Centerville will fit that.

Also, between Dallas and Corsicana is well known as the most ticketed place in Texas. The speed limit changes around from 65 to 75 even though everyone goes 80. They make their entire revenue off of ticketing travelers that will never return to contest in court.
>>
>>1237259
The guy who started Bucc-ee's traveled all over with his wife and got tired of grungy bathrooms so that gave him the idea.
>>
Houston has a massive underground mall through downtown.

There's a skyscrapper that allows the public to ride an elevator to the top

There's also a very large library downtown

Don't try to get BBQ in Houston, they don't know shit about BBQ.
>>
>>1234479
What's El Paso like? I'm moving to nearby it in the summer.
>>
Daily bump
>>
>>1237607
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgBaA3tx0e4
Heard on the local news that a door at UTEP got shot from across the border a few years ago. The mountains north of town should be nice.
>>
>>1236322
Do you like living in Houston Anon? I was thinking of moving there in a couple of years. I work in the medical field (psych nursing specifically).
>>
>>1234646
Yeah. OP's route is shit.

I'm no Dallas native, but I've been a good 7 or 8 times. It's one of the least charming or unique places in Texas. Entire city feels like a suburb.

Sorry OP, you're just in the worst part of Texas. South/West > North/East, generally. Further Northeast you get the more flat and plain the landscapes get and the less interesting and diverse the people get
>>
>>1236971
Fuck San Antonio for tourism. It's the biggest tourist destination for our gay ass Little River and gay ass destroyed crumbling fort but it's not actually much of interest.

The coolest places in SA (blue star, pearl, downtown, Hays bridge) are just microcosms of lib Austin culture with better tacos. If you want Texas tourism go West or to Austin or San Marcos, or just go to a state park.

I love my city and all but I don't see why anyone who doesn't live here ever would
>>
>>1238300
It's pretty comfy, lots of good food and parks. Houston also feels a lot more "alive" I guess than some other cities in the US I've been to, probably because the economy and population has been much faster than most places. The medical area is pretty nice and you can ride the metro train to downtown from there, the bayou area is pretty cool too. The weather is terrible though unless you really like heat and humidity, and it's not a very pretty city with 14 lane concrete freeways everywhere.
>>
Daily bump
>>
Daily bump
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.