[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How's North Carolina?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Been and raised in NY. I'm currently working minimum wage which is $11 an hour. My mother wants to move to North Carolina and she wants me to go with her.

Is there anyone that's gone there? Did you come from a metropolitan area and moved to a place like North Carolina? What was the biggest difference?

My plan was to get a job full-time and save money. Plus, there are plans for minimum wage to increase to $15 by 2018.
>>
>>1232372

Meant to put born and raised, not been.
>>
>>1232372
NC is very popular with people from the North East. The city data forums, I haven't been there in years, though, is a good source of info
>>
>>1232372
I'm from the Northeast originally, and have spent a lot of time in NYC, and I lived in NC for a few years. It's actually a pretty varied state, so where you live makes a big difference as far as changes to expect.

The Triangle region (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, sort of in the center of the state) is full of students, academics, and highly-educated professional types, including growing tech and biotech sectors. Lots of relocated Yankees, so it'll feel a bit less alien than a more rural area. Very good food, music, bar, and art scenes--between the three towns/cities I mentioned, there's enough going on to cobble together a metropolitan-style experience even without a real major city. But the area is sprawling--lots of suburban developments of McMansions-- and there is no public transit worth mentioning (bus systems exist but are not great or well-integrated), so you'll need to drive a lot. That may be the single biggest difference, along with the fact that locals will indeed speak with Southern accents and may seem uncomfortably polite. I lived in and really enjoyed Durham. Very cheap housing.

Asheville, out West, has lots of artists and retirees (also some students), in a physically attractive small city in a nice mountain setting. It will seem very small, but there will be stuff going on.

Charlotte is largely fancy-suburban and finance industry heavy--lots of banks and insurance companies. Just a little like a southern version of the Connecticut suburbs of NYC.

And then there's the coast, which Is beachy and seasonally busy.
>>
File: git.jpg (14KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
git.jpg
14KB, 259x194px
>>1232372
>How's North Carolina?
Full, especially for Yankees like yerself.
>there are plans for minimum wage to increase to $15 by 2018
I am highly skeptical this will happen at the state or federal level.

Like others have suggested, good paying jobs in IT and the like are gonna be around RDU/RTP. Other than that, you're looking at shitty retail jobs unless you've got a specialized degree. Alternatively, pig farms and Smithfields are always hiring at minimum wage.

Protip: There's no duty to keep right on the roads in NC and you can pass on the right unless otherwise posted.
>>
>>1232372
From NY (Buffalo area), live in Charlotte NC now. Visit Asheville often.

Charlotte is a great city, but will feel tiny compared to NYC. It has a nice DT, fairly clean and reasonably low crime. Bar scene is good, many different places to go drinking. Hipster areas, breweries, college areas, finance kid areas etc.

It can be expensive to get an apartment close to the city. Southend is the place to be if you're a YOPRO, but expect to pay $1200 for a one bedroom and $1600 for a two bedroom if you want to be within 3 miles of downtown.

This isn't really a tourist city, there is a lot to do but you have to look for it. We have great outdoors things, some fun festivals, and some of the best bar crawls in the world.

AMA about Charlotte or Asheville, I love both cities so may be slightly Biased. Have also lived in Myrtle Beach SC, and Phoenix AZ for comparisons.
>>
>Charlotte (1) and Raleigh (2)
The largest two cities. Rapidly expanding metropolitan centers of growth in tech and finance

>Greensboro (3) and Winston Salem (4)
The 2nd and 3rd largest. Quiet southern cities with historical downtowns, wealthy country clubs and quiet suburbia

>Asheville
Basically the Craft Beer Capital of the World. Seriously.

>Wilmington
One of the south's best cities. Historic, scenic, tons to do.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS:
>Fayetteville
>Greenville
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.