[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm considering renting a car when I visit the UK but I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: ArgyllSelf-drive.jpg (36KB, 448x293px) Image search: [Google]
ArgyllSelf-drive.jpg
36KB, 448x293px
I'm considering renting a car when I visit the UK but I have a lot of questions.

How difficult will it be for me to adjust to foreign driving laws such as driving on the other side of the car and road?

Will I be able to sleep in my car outside of Major cities, like at rest areas or truck stops or mega stores?

Are there any other things to consider when driving in a foreign country?

Does /trv/ recommend renting a car in a place like the UK, or would train and other transit be a better time?
>>
>>1231532
I'm a Canadian used to driving on the right side of the road

I rented a car in Ireland for 10 days. Driving around for the first couple of hours were stressful as hell. It almost felt like I was relearning how to drive in a foreign country while trying to get to my first destination. I was lucky that I was driving out of Cork airport so it was a smallish city with little traffic or large confusing highways. I got 100% used to driving on the other side of the road, round-abouts, and other obstacles after about 3 days. So my suggestion for that would be rent a car from a small city or rural area to ease yourself into it. I couldn't imagine starting in a large city.

When in the UK I noticed the country back roads are winding and narrow (especially in hilly/mountainous areas). This means there are plenty of blind corners that you can't see around and there is very little wiggle room for you and oncoming traffic. Just take it slow and pull over to let people pass when need be. Again, I got more confident as time went on.

I wrote this assuming you were Canadian/American so if you're European (or something else - I don't know) you might be used to narrow winding back roads already.
>>
>>1232071
Great advice, I'll be sure to take it, much appreciated!
>>
Be aware that gas costs about as much as single malt Scotch in the UK. I prefer to ride Megabus and spend the money on the Scotch.

I found driving on the wrong side initially even more terrifying than I'd imagined, but I became used to it much quicker than I expected. Now I can switch back and forth without even thinking about it.

Where in the UK are you going? In rural areas of England and Wales, either stealth camp in the bushes or ask at a local pub where you might sleep without being bothered.
In Scotland you're allowed to sleep anywhere.
I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to sleep at the sorts of places you mention; you'll run afoul of boy racers.
>>
Basically this >>1232071

I would suggest wherever you are in the UK if you park on the side of the road, fold your mirrors because most areas of Ireland and Britain, if they're big cities, are tight streets. I scrapped a rental mirror when I visited London and wrecked the other one, but I didn't report it lol
>>
>>1231532
How hard it will be depends on how long you've been in the country prior. If you've already been there a few weeks then you'll be used to driving on the other side of the road from riding in taxis, buses, crossing the road etc. and the adjustment should be easy. If you're starting driving early in the trip the adjustment will be more jarring.
>>
>>1231532
UK roads are narrow and twisty they are also congested and busy. On an open road the average speed is comparitvely high - 60miles per hour on a road just wide enough for two cars and with no central divide. Most UK cars are manual / stick shift though the larger hire companies have some automatics at a premium rate.. Sleeping in a car is not a common UK thing and not likely to be a restfull experience.

The car / public transport question is very dependant on where you intend to travel. In London public transport every time. Between the cities / towns public transport is possible. Otherwise a hire car makes sense because outside of a few exceptions there isn't much other way of getting around.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.