[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jordan??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Jordan-Wadi-Rum.jpg (157KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Jordan-Wadi-Rum.jpg
157KB, 1600x900px
I'm an American living in Europe and am looking into spending my next school break (10 days) in Jordan.
Think I probably want to see Petra and pic related, but what else?
>>
Jarash, Amman, aqaba are your essentials, though wadi rum is my favorite
>>
Isn't Jordan quite dangerous?
>>
Amman has extremely few sights for it's size, and with only 10 days is best explored in one day (see the "balad", i.e. the town centre with the souk, the Roman theatre and the citadel), then just used as a base. Petra and Wadi Rum were my definitive favorites, camping in Wadi Rum is a must. Check out if it's a new moon when you camp and the stars will be breathtaking. In Petra, you can buy a 1, 2 or 3 day ticket, I'd say go for minimum 2 days. If you go up to the "high place of sacrifice" as it's called and then follow the route onwards from there (takes a few hours), you'll be pretty much alone and the scenery will be amazing.

Jerash is worthy of a day trip, huge Roman ruins site, further north there's also the crusader castle in Ajloun. All the way up north, close to the border with Syria, there's the small village of Umm Qays, which on a clear day offers stunning views of the Golan Heights and the Sea of Galilee. South of Amman you have Madaba, which I didn't think was very special, and Mt. Nebo which also offers nice views of the Jordan Valley. On a clear day you can see the outskirts of Amman and Jerusalem at the same time. There's a nice crusader castle in Karak, but there's quite a bit of islamist activity there right now and is best avoided, same with Ma'an. I thought Aqaba was a shithole, there's a castle, some ruins littered with vodka bottles from Israeli tourists, and a really tall flagpole. You have the beach resorts there though, which offers diving and snorkling among the corals if that's your thing.

There's also various nature reserves, such as Dana, and the desert castles in the east, but I never went there, so can't give much advice on that. Jordan is quite safe as long as you avoid the trouble areas (Karak, Ma'an, refugee camps, certain border areas), as in most Middle Eastern countries, it's the traffic that's most likely to kill you.
>>
>>1222841
Not nearly as dangerous as stupidity
>>
>>1223146
S A G E
A
G
E
>>
This thread is very relevant to my interests. I am planning on doing a 2 day tour of Petra, Jarash and wadi rum in June.

I think some other replies answered this but I have to ask again. Is it safe to visit these places? I'd be going with a tour from Israel. I've never been to the middle east and so I am kind of naive of the "dos and the donts"
>>
>>1224189
Those places are perfectly safe, my only concern is that doing all of that in just two days seems like an awful idea. The drive from the visitor centre in Wadi Rum to Jerash is 4 hours one way, according to Google Maps. Knowing traffic in Jordan you can add an hour to that. And that's one way! Jerash itself is a massive site, and you'll need at least an hour to see the main sites. In Petra, you need at least an hour just to get in and out, and that's without seeing anything besides the Treasury.

So doing a jeep tour of Wadi Rum on day one, sleep at hotel in Petra, see very little of Petra day two, be stuck in traffic to Jerash, see very little of Jerash. I guess it could be done, but I don't know how much fun it'll be. I also know that they charge extra for entrance to Petra for the tour groups from Israel (90 USD vs 50 USD when I was there). Also enjoy temperatures pushing 30C and beyond in June.

To be quite honest, you're much better off just planning and doing it all by yourself, though I understand that seems like a daunting task. At the very least pick a tour that allows you more time at each place, like a full day in Petra.
>>
>>1224641
Thanks for the advice i appriciate it
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.