[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gran Canaria

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 11

File: karte.gif (22KB, 550x490px) Image search: [Google]
karte.gif
22KB, 550x490px
Hey /trv/,
last time I posted here I got a lot of great advice and even met some cool people on my trip, so I'm trying again.
Tonight I've booked a flight to Gran Canaria.
I usually try to avoid very touristy places, for this trip I've mostly just looked for a few days in a nice and warm place without spending a lot on flights and accommodation.
I'm thinking of staying in a hostel that's close enough to the city to grab a bite there and maybe have a drink without being directly in the center of the English/German/Dutch/gay tourist population.

Now I'm not asking to be spoonfed general information, I want to know what your personal experiences and recommendations for the island are.
I'd love to hear about;

>your personal highlights
>sights that aren't obvious
>culinary specialties you enjoyed
>experiences
>general info you find important enough to highlight
>wether visiting another island by ferry is a good idea

dudeweedlmao PS:
I'm generally familiar with the weed situation in Spain and I'm not keen on getting ripped off on the street.
Is there any way to get weed in a not too seedy fashion despite me not being able to get into one of these Spanish weed clubs?

General Spain/Canary Islands thread as well, I guess.
>>
Oh, and if anyone from here is around between the 15th and 22nd I'd be down to meet.
People from /trv/ tend to be interesting to be around
>>
European primetime bump
>>
Daily desperation bump
>>
Some of the best Finnish and Swedish pop bands of the 80s and 90s frequent Grand Canary island for all the Nordic family package holiday tourists there. Welcome!
>>
>>1221951
Haven't been on Gran Canaria for a few few years but I remember:
>Las Palmas de GC
comfy city, nice old town, pretty good night life, not overrun by lads, you can find pretty good restaurants there
>Playa del Inglese
lads, lads and more lads, pretty comfy beach, nightlife as expected it's a party containment zone with mediocre tourist trap tier food all over the place
>Maspalomas
very quiet but still very touristic just for the upper middle class... Golf, Tennis etc., a few comfy better tier restaurants at the beach... Overall a very artificial feeling
>Puerto de Morgan
Was quiet and comfy back then, some pretty good restaurants, old town still had some local vibes, comfy beach but next to no night life...

I can't actually think about anything special, it was our "get away from the winter" go to spot to sit at the sea or do a hike and enjoy a cocktail for super small money
>>
>>1222582
Like who for example? I can think of a few but that sounds like an interesting fun fact.
>>1222591
Thanks for the relatively detailed info, I think I'll go with Las Palmas for a good variety.
How was getting around the island when you were there? Getting from the airport to my hostel should be fine but it seems like there's a lot to see.
I know there's busses but I'd love to hear some first hand experience since a car rental isn't in my budget at all.
>>
>>1222696
There are some buses but the service mostly sucked due to the low frequency like one bus per hour and only from 6-20h but it was no problem to get from A-B
The local bus should stop just outside the terminal and was something like 2€ for the ride to LP else you can always offer 5€ to the drivers of the large charter companies going there...
>>
>>1223148
Neat. Where did you stay?
>>
>>1221951
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria is great. Not that many cities in the world have urban beaches.

Forget about the entire south coast. Get a car. Drive around. Enjoy the central mountains. You have like 7 different ecosystems to choose from. You have spring, and one type of plants on one side of a mountain. Traverse the peak, and its like you arrive in a different country. Gran Canaria is paradise for eco-buffs http://www.terrestrial-biozones.net/Holarctic%20Ecosystems/Canarian%20Ecosystems.html
>>
>>1223714
Yeah, I booked a hostel-bed in Las Palmas.
I don't want to rent a car for personal economic reasons. Could I still get around, for example to the crater, without going all out and renting a car?
>>
Finally there bump
>>
>have a drink without being directly in the >center of the >English/German/Dutch/gay tourist >population.

Let's say I wanted to...hummm...avoid the gay tourist population. Where exactly would you not go?

Asking for a straight friend.

Kthx
>>
>>1221951
>>your personal highlights
The old town of Las Palmas
Driving and hiking to Roque Bentayga and Roque Nublo
Maspalomas sand dunes and beach
Dolphin and whale watching in Puerto Rico
The drive from Ageate to La Aldea de San Nicolas along the shores, and then inland along the Barranco de la Aldea
Manso rooftop bar in the old town of Las Palmas
Pinchos night (every Thursday I think) in Las Palmas
The drive from Maspalomas to Fataga
>>sights that aren't obvious
Take your picks from the above list.
>>culinary specialties you enjoyed
Pinchos night is great. You try some fingerfood in every restaurant, drink wine with it and pay very little. Almost every restaurant in the old town is in on it. Rooftop cocktail bar Manso is great too.
>>experiences
The Dolphin watching.
>>general info you find important enough to highlight
Rent a car. Or you'll miss SO much.
>>wether visiting another island by ferry is a good idea
Only if you're staying for more than 2 weeks imo.
>>
>>1225107
Ps.
I can post some of my pictures if you like. Just ask.
>>
>>1225213
I met someone that wants to rent a car and drive around the island, so I think I'm lucky in that regard.
Thanks for all the other tips as well.
Sure, go ahead if you have some nice pictures
>>
>>1225224
Road to Fataga on a foggy day. We were there for Christmas/New Year by the way.
>>
Maspalomas beach
>>
Maspalomas sand dunes
>>
Roque Nublo
>>
View near Ageate to La Aldea de San Nicolas, coastal road from the north
>>
Barranco de la Aldea
>>
Dolphin watching from Puerto Rico
>>
Dolphin watching from Puerto Rico part 2
>>
View from the cathedral in Las Palmas
>>
Sailing boat near Puerto de Mogan
</dump>
>>
>>1225224
Also, good. Moast things there are more about the drive than the destination.
>>
Take a boat to La Gomera and check out the rainforest at the top of the island. I don't know how similar it is to the rest of the canaries, but I went there and it was decently cool
>>
Bump...
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.