[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the difference between traveling and vacations/holidays?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: ukrianiantunneloflove.jpg (156KB, 580x408px) Image search: [Google]
ukrianiantunneloflove.jpg
156KB, 580x408px
What's the difference between traveling and vacations/holidays? Is there a difference?
>>
>>1220997
>Is there a difference?
Only to "real travelers"/travel elitists
>>
Duration maybe?

It's mostly semantics, don't get a headache over it.
>>
To me, travelling brings to mind sightseeing and delving into local culture. I think of exploration and experiences. Vacationing brings to mind sitting on a beach or at a bar on the ocean for 12 hours a day for a week or two. Vacations are very laid back and relaxed. Something you do when you've worked an exhausting amount and just want to kick back during your time off, while travelling comes across as ambitiously going out to experience as much of the world as you can for weeks or even months at a time. Both are great in their own way, although I live an active and experience based life, so I find the idea of motorcycling through Central America much more exciting than the prospect of drinking and swimming in the Caribbean Sea, though I fully intend to spend my golden years laying around in a beautiful part of the world drinking rum and smoking the biggest cigars I can find once I'm too old to culminate experiences.
>>
>>1221155
My aunt is 77 and is in Lithuania traveling around for a month. The ride doesn't have to end, Anon.
>>
>>1220997
Holidays are marked on a calendar, you don't have to vacation during them, but most people do.
>>
>>1221969
It certainly doesn't, my friend.
>>
I have done 4-months backpacking and staying in shitty hostels and "exploring", but nowadays I only go to all-included beach resorts in the Caribbeans because there are 3 things I really enjoy in life;

>beach/sun
>alcohol
>having sex with foreign chicks
And all-included resorts offer just that, plus 24h food and drinks only a few footsteps away from your room with king-size bed, AC and hot shower.

Am I "travelling" ? Is it a "holiday" ?
The bottomline is who gives a shit? do what makes you happy
Besides, most of you "real travelling" niggaz do it that way because you need to stretch your dollar to the max. With a few millions in your bank account (not me), let's see if you would still travel the same way
>>
>>1220997
Anon, I've heard about [pic related] but forgot what it's called, and where it is... help
>>
>>1222093
Its in ukraine, thats all i remember
Its called like the love tunnel or smth
(Not op)
>>
>>1221155
This.
If you really want to define it - traveling is actively exploring the world, while going on vacation is to get away from it all and relax.
>>
>>1222093
>>1222096
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_of_Love_(railway)
>>
>>1222129
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_of_Love_(railway)
>>1222096
Thanks, anon
>>
Tourists observe the world.
Travelers participate in it.

I think that's a pretty tidy way of summing it up.
A tourist sits in a cafe by the Trevi fountain breathing in warm cappuccino-scented air
A traveler speaks fluent Sierra Leonean creole to negotiate his way past a soldier while posing as an NG journalist in order to smuggle conflict diamonds sewn into the skins of live goats across international borders
>>
>>1220997
No OP there is no real difference between your terms, to travel or vacation, except the traveling terms can maybe apply to people who stay on the move.
A "tourist" is a more pejorative term where taking tours is frowned on by the Real Traveler and might indicate a person who hits up highlights, museums and sights in a non-stop pace that prevents some culture immersion.

Bottom line, use the terms interchangeably and travel and live your life as you see fit. When and if you need adjustments to how you travel to make yourself happier then change. That is the golden rule. Do your own thing. The guy who cares about history, architecture, nature, geology, literature, historical and literary figures might get more out of a researched trip but to others he didn't experience the food or the locals unique personalities. Most vicious judgements come from those who can't spend money to do some of finer things in a destination because of a vagabond lifestyle with no savings.
>>
I travel and my parents vacation. They go to resorts and sit around doing nothing but drinking and going to the beach for a week. When I go somewhere I visit more than one place, try to meet locals, try local foods, do activities that aren't just created for tourists, and if possible try to live life as a local.
>>
Vacations are for boys

Travel is for men
>>
>>1222165
>doing nothing but drinking
all the "real travellers" I met spend most of their time drinking and partying
>When I go somewhere I visit more than one place
So do I when I go to beach resorts, I always visit cities nearby when possible
>try to meet locals
I always meet locals... how is that even a question?
>try local foods
me too
>do activities that aren't just created for tourists
But literally the best activities are all marketed for tourists, are you a contrarian or something?
>>
>>1220997
During a holiday/vacation the purpose of it is to go somewhere and enjoy it for that time, the place itself.
While travelling the purpose, meaning, motive is just that; to travel, to be in constant movement, wander.
Just my opinion.

At the moment I'm working and trying to save money or future travels, and I'd really like to take a week off and go for a little vacation but then I straight away feel that it wouldn't be a good idea. Because I would just get that feeling of movement, getting away and then I would have to come straight back, I don't really see the point in little vacations anymore. When I go, I don't want to know the date when I will be returning, when travelling that is not something separete from my "normal" life, when travelling, that is the main purpose, that is the "normal" that is everything.
And now, living the normal life, gathering money, this is the separete.
>>
>traveling
seeing new things, adventurous
>vacations/holidays
you go somewhere to relax from work, like a sandy beach
>>
>>1222145
this is the most pretentious post I've ever seen on this board
>>
>>1222165
Immigrant american here.I see you faggots every time i go back to chill. You're the worst type of tourist. We see you as cultural idolaters. we laugh at the fact you have so little cultural pride that you have to try to fit in with us when you're here for pleasure. We can easily tell you apart from real long term expats and native born foriengers from the first word you speak.You're a fucking joke, like the faggot at the party who brags about everywhere they been and done and goes talk to the first ethnic looking person in the room and tries to relate to our experience .
>>
>>1221000
I'll get a headache over them trips
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.