[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm really interested in living in Hawaii

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5677.jpg (691KB, 2200x1473px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5677.jpg
691KB, 2200x1473px
As title says I'm heavily interested in possibly living in Hawaii. I would be looking for anything fancy maybe just a small place for myself that I could sustain on a small job.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is this even possible? Is it as great as it almost sounds? Beaches and the ocean and just a generally chill environment? Any advice is appreciated thanks.
>>
>>1220113
>correction, sorry phone posting
I wouldn't be looking for anything fancy
>>
Hawaii is not a simple, primitive tropical paradise. It has one of the highest costs of living in the US.
>>
>>1220122
This. Everybody would move to Hawaii if it was that simple.
Have you considered Florida?
>>
>>1220113
if you aren't looking for anything fancy, then there are many other pacific islands that are less expensive than hawaii. Try Guam, Saipan, samoa, etc
>>
>>1220113
>maybe just a small place for myself that I could sustain on a small job
Enjoy your $1200 studio and traffic
>>
>>1220130
>1200 dollar studio

honestly not that bad
>>
Dude, Hawaii is way more expensive than people think. It's not the easy living that everyone believes it is. You will seriously pay out the ass. If you want a Pacific island then try leaving the US territories.
>>
>>1220113
>just a small place for myself
>in Hawaii
>wouldn't be looking for anything fancy
What's next? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a Lambo would do?
>>
>>1220740
I live in Hawaii. There are definitely non fancy places here. Like, straight scary shit holes if you end up down the wrong street. Pretty rare though. Your metaphor is not entirely accurate.

Op, you are looking for puna, on the big island. It's still (relatively) cheap, super laid back and funky hippy homesteading is par for the course. You can literally survive on the fruit that falls off the trees. Don't cause drama, share some beers or pot with your neighbors and don't look like you have money and everything will be fine. If you do cause drama, it's still the Wild West over there. Like, people go missing every year.
Work is kinda a pain to get sometimes, but if you can show up on time everyday and don't just skip out you will probably be just fine.
>>
>>1220740
>>1220775
Your metaphor is not entirely -inaccurate- I meant to post.
>>
>>1220775
I'm genuinely curious where these Hawaiian "shit holes" are that you speak of.
>>
>>1220734
>If you want a Pacific island then try leaving the US territories.

What about, like, Guam and shit?
>>
>>1221352
Even Guam and American Samoa are pretty pricey. Not to mention many of the US Pacific Islands are towns built around military bases. They're safe places with very little in the way of crime, but it'll definitely cost you a bit.
>>
>>1221344
Outside of the big towns, where it's all native Hawaiians.
>>
>>1220775
OP here

Is there anything else I should know? I planned on trying to teach myself the native language as well, and a small place where living off the fruit falling of trees sounds pretty amazing honestly.

And I'm pretty open when it comes to work, I work manual labor right now and read somewhere that construction is constant there so I wouldn't mind that.
>>
Fukushima is gonna turn Hawaii radioactive soon.
Visit before it's too late
>>
>>1221441
>>1220775
Are there serious ghettos there? Any racial animosity? What's the likelihood of crime happening?
>>
>>1221653
Don't be white. Don't overstep boundaries. Be polite.
>>
>>1221653
>Any racial animosity?
Everybody hates everybody but they hate whitey most. Honestly, don't live in Hawaii unless you're pulling six figures a year easy
>>
Not OP but i'm curious if anyone has more info/stories about how white people are treated in hawaii. When i travel i like to avoid tourist traps and spend time where the locals hang out so i'm wondering how big an issue it is being a white dude in hawaii.
>>
>>1220123
Not OP, but I've intended to go to Florida for school, since I need access to tropical watts and I'm American. How is Ft. Lauderdale/Tampa Area? It's close to the school I planned to go to, and it has plenty of ocean.
>>
>>1221830
>>1220113
what about Puerto Rico cheap and "american"
>>1221828
You'll be a minority
>>
File: tazer_bike.webm (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
tazer_bike.webm
1MB, 480x270px
>>1220113
I grew up within walking distance of pearl harbor, just over 8 years ago.
If you're not military or stinking rich, don't even fucking try. Everything is much more expensive there. "Affordable" housing is basically a set of dirty, dusty ghettos filled with angry territorial blacks, Mexicans, and Samoans.
Other than that, everything you've heard about Hawaii being beautiful is definitely true. The beaches are perfect, the locals who aren't gangbangers are really nice, and everything is generally chill.
Just keep in mind, it has the highest population of homeless in any state for a reason.
>>
>>1221638
>native language
Hawaiian? Pigeon English? There's no point. It's America after all.
>manual labor
Enjoy 5 days of work a month.
It took 10 years to build a 30-foot bridge near my old neighborhood.
It's not worth it.
>>
>>1221653
>serious ghettos?
Yes. Very very yes.
>racial animosity?
Every race hates every other race. Everybody hates whites. Racially motivated assaults and murders are not uncommon.
>what's the likelihood of crime happening?
If you're in a nice neighborhood? Very low. If you're not in a nice neighborhood? Very very high.
>>
>>1221828
You'll be a minority for sure. Generally try and stay away from the ghettos and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1222407
Puerto Rico is still an island so things have to be shipped in. Also they is a financial crisis there so things are hairy.
>>
>>1222407
>>1222573
I don't mind being a minority on its own; i'm more concerned about uninvited aggression, negative treatment, racism, crime, etc. I've ventured into heavily hispanic and even black areas in some cities and had mixed results, sometimes it's fine.
>>
>>1222587
you best bet is to find videos of white in areas you want to live talking about it to see if the thing they mention bother you i remember a white american complaining about racism in south Korea but some people wouldn't mind what happened others would be IRATE and make a video about it.
>>
>>1220113
They have great canned coffee, be sure to buy some.

And if you own your own boat sneak over to the Robinson's secret island.
>>
>>1221344
>>1221441
That's not true. Maybe on Oahu and Maui.
East side of Oahu is hot and dry and very local, sketchy frickin neighborhoods galore. On the big island south Kona, Kau, puna areas are where you would run into problems, if you are a dick. The Surly Hawaiians can be pretty belligerent and we had the TMT Protests recently that stirred up some animosity. The less disenfranchised are generally a lot mellower.
>>1221638
Hawaiian as a language is undergoing a renneissance these days, lots of opportunity to learn. Doing so would help immensely with certain portions of the population.
Yes, there is construction work, but mostly on the west side, and all the semi affordable housing is on the east side. Or InThe aforementioned sketchy neighborhoods.
>>1221650whatevr
>>1221826
Again, mostly an Oahu thing. >>1222569
I hate how slow our road crews are. It's stupid. Like, corrupt stupid. >>1222587
Be cool and handle being ribbed pretty hard by some segments, wear slippers, don't force local pidgin when speaking, most especially don't force pidgin while speaking, and you should be good in most situations.
>>
>>1223215
Shit, west side of Oahu is hot and dry, the east is the lush paradise in the postcards.
>>
>>1220113
OP when I was younger I had two friends who wanted to do this. And I heard all that shit about its expensive and didn't do it. Now I'm old and live in New Jersey. I'm poor in New Jersey when I could be poor in Hawaii. I've been there on vacation and its not as expensive as people make it out to be. Actually its like anywhere else if you move outside of the tourist traps its pretty reasonable. I worked in the hotel industry and I noticed there are tons of hotels there so that should be enough of a job to pay rent. I say go for it I wish I had. Also the locals were stupid nice to me. But I'm a cool guy
>>
>>1220113
haoles go home all of you. dont need people like you here
>>
>>1221653
have you been to a ghetto in the top 10 detroit, camden, trenton, baltimore, memphis then no not even close. people think some brown skined dude asking for a dollar is ghetto
>>
Hawaii's economy is about to collapse thanks to the boycott, better enjoying it while you can!
>>
>>1225322
Kinda this
>>1225447
Hahahahahahahaha.... have you seen what hawaii has to say about that?
>>
>>1225650
I know, it's pretty fuckin funny.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.