[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been waiting to book a solo trip to Cambodia and Vietnam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: frustrated.jpg (563KB, 1797x1349px) Image search: [Google]
frustrated.jpg
563KB, 1797x1349px
I've been waiting to book a solo trip to Cambodia and Vietnam for a few weeks. Tomorrow I'll finally be able to do it (some money I was waiting on) and now all of a sudden I'm having doubts and anxieties. This is my first solo trip and I'm worried about feeling isolated and just not enjoying it.

So convince me, why should I book this trip?

Is it common to have these regrets/concerns?
>>
File: DSCF2076.jpg (4MB, 3216x4288px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2076.jpg
4MB, 3216x4288px
>>1219605
Having anxiety about solo travel is completely normal. But usually unfounded.

You should book it because you'll regret it if you don't. You'll love it once you get there, don't listen to your pussy-ass brain.

Pic Related- I went to India a couple of years ago by myself. I was shitting myself and trying desperately to get out of it, but I ended up going and it was incredible.
>>
File: cambodia 2015.jpg (76KB, 812x610px) Image search: [Google]
cambodia 2015.jpg
76KB, 812x610px
>>1219605
>Is it common to have these regrets/concerns?

Yeah -- I have to book a family trip to Costa Rica this week. Stressing out over it comes with the territory with me. At least you don't have to worry about "What if I get Aunt Gert's ticket wrong and she goes to Costa Diego in the wrong month???"

Man up and do it. Cambodia is great.
>>
>>1219605
Yes its common, there will be times on the trip where you'll feel isolated. I found it was mainly travelling between places. If you stick to Hostels and Guest houses the entire time you'll meet plenty of people. More people than you expect will be in the exact same situation as yourself and so will be out to make friends the same as you. As far as not enjoying it solo travelling isn't for everyone but you won't know until you try. If you're really worried book a flexible return ticket so you can change your flight home if you aren't felling great
>>
>>1219616

Not OP, another interested guy

How old were you when you did it, how long'd you do it for, and would you say it's like, changed your life? (forgive the insufferable cliche)

I read Steve Jobs' biography a few years ago, and ever since I read about him having his coming-of-age, spiritual journey through India, I've been thinking I should do some sort of journey like that in SE Asia too
>>
>>1219605
Yeah, I was shitting myself before my first solo trip too. Now I have the opposite issue - I fucking hate telling friends I'd rather go alone.
>>
File: DSCF1592.jpg (4MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1592.jpg
4MB, 4288x3216px
>>1219647
I was 20, I was out there for about 4 months.

It is an insufferable cliche, but it actually did change my life. I was unemployed, depressed and didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life before I went. I had to work hard(manual labour) and live how the poor communities out there did, but I loved it so much more than I realised.
By the time I came back home, I had developed a strong work ethic and a goal to work towards; more traveling. So I found myself a crappy minimum wage job, worked hard and used that to move up to a better job. I have been saving as much of my paycheck as possible. I still go on shorter trips during my allocated holiday days, but I'm hoping to save up enough for both a much longer trip(maybe a year or more) plus a deposit for a mortgage when I get back. Then maybe I can rent out the house I buy and use that money to keep traveling. Who knows?

I'd love to go back one day. India has a lot of problems and faults, but the country was beautiful and the people were warm and friendly.

Picture also related; my next-door neighbour farming.
>>
>>1219605
you'll be fine OP... as long as you are staying in hostels with a decent social scene, you'll meet people easily.
>>
>>1219605
I did a solo trip back in the fall and right before I left I had a bit of anxiety and I've traveled alone before.
My concern revolved around my productivity or lack thereof.
I was worried that dicking around Europe for a couple weeks would come back to bite me in the ass down the road.
That fear went away once I got to the airport.
Don't be worried about meeting people, it will happen so long as you're not too far into the autism spectrum.
Book that trip because someday later, years down the road, you will wonder why you didn't go when you had the opportunity.
>>
>>1219922
>from minimum wage job to job allowing you to save enough to travel for a year and for a mortgage

are you delusional or..
>>
>>1220463
I got lucky, in truth. I worked my way up in retail, put together a decent CV and managed to get into an accounts office that agreed to train me on the job. Although I'm now on more than minimum wage, I still actually earn less than average for what people in my field normally do. But it's a fair exchange for taking me on with no experience; in a few years time I'll have enough experience to move to a different company that will pay me more.

I pay very cheap rent for a room in a shared house. I try to put aside half of my paycheck a month for savings.

In a couple of years time, I'll have enough for a small deposit on a little house/apartment, plus a few thousand extra for traveling. I intend to work while traveling too, which will hopefully lessen my expenses.

I'm certainly not rich, but I'm frugal. It's better than being unemployed and suicidal!
>>
>>1219605
Solo travel is the best! It'll be scary as fuck for the first few hours, but then once your brain accepts that there really is no emediate danger, you are going to have the most amazing time in your entire life. Trust us!
>>
me >>1221921 again

also, Solo travel teaches you to rely on yourself, and to trust that you can solve problems and live through dificulties that you encounter. I whent to the army before i traveled, and the latter taught me way more about my capabilites and limits.
>>
>>1219605
are you me OP?

Booked that trip down in October last year and flight departs this sunday. Felt pretty confident and really looked forward to it.
About a week ago anxiety kicks in and I'm scared af now (it's my first solo trip ever). Can't think clearly and just don't want to go. Read here that these feelings are normal and that it'll be fine, but I'm still very scared.

tl;dr It's fine OP, I think everyone has that feeling. You should definetelly go
>>
>>1219605
>Is it common to have these regrets/concerns?
Yup - I have them all the time. Even if it's 7th time travelling alone.
Would plan a trip a year in advance only feeling like I dont want to go anymore a week before the time.
I go anyway and enjoy myself regardless. Travel jitters I guess.
>>
If white, get prepared to pay more money than usual. If don't speak Khmer, get prepared to pay more money than usual.
source: actual cambodian born in usa stayed there for a year.
>>
>>1219605
Cambodia for first solo trip?
So just out of curiosity why did you do this?

Something about solotravelers really excites the scammers in Cambodia, I guess they think if somebody is alone they won't tell a con man to fuck off. It seems like an intense choice to me.
>>
>>1222691
Source?

I've done Cambodia solo. I had no troubles what so ever.
>>
>>1222697
>source
I was in Cambodia for 5 weeks about a month ago, I got there first then met up with friends.

Very nice hostel, in Sieam Reap, but other places where awful.
>>
>>1222552
Have fun, anon.
>>
>>1219605
go to Japan instead, it's cheaper and you won't get food poisoning.
>>
>>1219922
>minimum wage job
>saving for travel
Kill me.
I have a master's degree, I'm working in my field and my wage lets me save $20 a month, and that's only because I subsist on instant ramen and I'm slowly turning Auschwitz mode.
Why have I still not moved to a decent country?
>>
>>1223119
>cheaper
Wat?
>>
>>1222704
Thanks m8
>>
>>1219605
common? is it common to feel anxiety before taking a leap ? of course, its human.

you will be fine but I must agree that you should be aware of scams in cambodia. altough most people wont notice while paying way too much. also dont miss the western islands, its paradise
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.