[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Straddling the line between /trv/ and actually moving there,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: MontgomeryALcityscape.jpg (452KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
MontgomeryALcityscape.jpg
452KB, 1024x575px
Straddling the line between /trv/ and actually moving there, but I got offered a job in Montgomery, Alabama. I'm a major city kid who has traveled a lot and moved around often, so I'm both extremely curious and interested in the opportunity but it's also a place I never really thought I would visit. The job itself isn't long term, maybe a couple of years so I wouldn't be moving there to make a full life.

Would it be worth it? What is even in Montgomery? All my google searches tell me its a shit town and I should move to Auburn instead, but then I keep reading about the 'revival' of Montgomery, so I'm assuming its being gentrified or something?
>>
>>1218256
I wouldn't believe anything about revival. I'm not sure how old you are or what you look for in a city, and there is a chance Montgomery might have a little spot for you, but it's probably the most stereotypically southern city in Alabama so if you aren't up for that you are going to hate life. Auburn is close enough to offer some night life and dating, it might even be possible to live there with a long commute.

The people there are really really friendly though.

I'm from AL btw so if you have any more questions just ask me.
>>
>>1218256
>>1218256
Major civil rights city. Dexter Avenue church. Rosa Parks. Probably some Civil war stuff.
>>
>>1218663
Sorry for the late reply. I'm in my mid-20s and am largely a homebody. I enjoy comfy shit like cosy restaurants and coffee shops, prefer to buy from local shops and farms if possible, I'm pretty 'hipster' I guess desu.

The area I kept seeing was great to move to if I moved to Montgomery was Old Cloverdale? I guess since it's near the university its a bit more lively/youth oriented. I have a car so I don't mind a commute but I don't think I could do like, a lone farmhouse or a super small town outside of the city.

>>1219110
It's actually a civil rights job, lel.
>>
Buy a plane ticket and see for yourself. That's the only way you'll know if it's good for you. I would never move somewhere without at least spending a weekend there
>>
>>1219490
You can find cosy stuff like that there. It's basically a central area with a lot of government buildings that have a high presence of law enforcement surrounded by both upscale suburban areas and very very low income areas where crime might be an issue and infrastructure has serious problems. I like the surrounding rural areas, they aren't breath taking but they are quaint and fun to drive around. If you are a homebody I think you could be ok there.

It's a city where you need to have a car to get around, and the central government area is where you would find most cafes and stuff. You would mostly be hanging out with southern businessman and Lawyers there, which might be pretty fun if they like you. Culturally, think of Blues and country music and small churches that pretty much determine your social circle. I'm sure there are subjectcultures or whatever, but that's just not what defines the city.

Auburn would have more people your age, and the neighboring city of Opelika is actually having a tiny little revival. It's a quiet city but the quality of the women more than make up for that.

If your doing civil rights stuff just keep in mind it isn't as simple as Republican vs democrat. Some of the people that present themselves as the least discriminating in the south happen to be the most discriminating. In my opinion Montgomery is the worst about this, but that's just my opinion.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.