[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laos/Cambodia-could I retire on $750 dollars per month

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (24KB, 400x318px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 400x318px
Hi guys,

Let's say in theory I could get a stable source of income of $750 per month(government handout).

Would I be able to live on that in Laos or Cambodia in reasonable conditions ?

I guess Thailand is too expensive for this?
>>
No, stop this meme. Travel these places and experience the costs for yourself let alone doing this off tax dollars.
>>
>>1217865
>>1217887
Thailand is way more expensive than those two and you could do this https://migrationology.com/cost-of-living-in-bangkok-thailand/
so yeah
>>
>>1217865

yeah probably and you would be looked down upon as a parasite by people like me that actually have money

fucking plebeian
>>
>>1217865
The question is why would you want to. Phillipines is the cheapest option with somewhat modern infrastructure. Thailand is cheapest with good medical, which is an important consideration for a retiree.
>>
>>1217865
could be done in decent conditions for 200-300 per month. who knows about 20 years from now though
>>
>>1217865
Like the guy above me said the economic situation is quickly improving within SEA. As a result the cost of living will naturally rise as well. I don't know how many years you'll have to live but you need to keep in mind that the cost of living is going to go up exponentially and might go up 5-10% a year if you're unlucky.
>>
>>1217865
Laos is more expensive than THailand at the moment.
Only drinks are cheaper for some reason. (And drugs)
>>
>>1218000
That's actually a meme, Thailand is the cheapest SEA country to live in at the moment.
>>
>>1217865
>Would I be able to live on that in Laos or Cambodia in reasonable conditions ?
Reasonable, sure. Luxurious, no. You would have to be looking for a very modest, largely 'gone native' lifestyle (simple rented room, probably no satellite TV/internet/maybe no air-con; markets rather than expat restaurants, not much nightlife, no car, few/no taxis, etc.). But you could only do it "legally" in Cambodia, where you can buy long-term visas cheaply and under flimsy pretexts. There is no retirement visa program in the LPDR. People have the idea that Laos is a mellow, anything goes place because locals are quiet and reluctant to call visitors out on jackassery, but it's still an authoritarian, quasi-revolutionary state with a pretty draconian legal system and strict visa regime. They put up with scummy backpackers short-term but don't really roll out the red carpet for low-end expats.
>>
>>1218113

how is that even possible? isn't laos like 5th world?
>>
>>1219549
yea im pretty sure you could go as low as 200 usd in decent comfort if you live outside a city
>>
>>1218113
>>1219785
if that's true skip it it's shit and foreigners are not allowed to have sex with women it's illegal unless married legally
>>
>>1218000
Are you fucking shitting me? Living on a pad on the floor with a bunch of other guys with no hot water, no kitchen etc? Literally worse than prison tier.

>>1219787
Again in a shared stick shack without electricity?

SEA isn't as cheap as it used to be 10 even 5 years ago it's modernising fast towards western standards with a massive rising middle class, To live any style of life like your accustomed in the west its going to cost you.
>>
File: garden-city.jpg (255KB, 1100x700px) Image search: [Google]
garden-city.jpg
255KB, 1100x700px
>>1217865

Don't know about Laos and Cambodia but Thailand/Malaysia hell yes. I had a room at pic related for $100/mo. Food at both places is ~$1/meal.
>>
>>1219834

which city
>>
File: IMG_20151215_174129.jpg (987KB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151215_174129.jpg
987KB, 3072x1728px
>>1219852

Pic is Melaka, Malaysia. I did that on $200/mo. The equivalent cost of living in Kuala Lumpur is $250/mo. Right now I'm managing to get by in KL for $100/mo.

I've never done Cambodia/Laos but you can get worse at the same prices. I did India for $100/mo and I was chronically infected with parasites, in shit weather, around crazy people, and with barely usable internet (No internet/0.5 KB/s/$1/GB 1MB/s), . In KL for the same price, I'm downloading anime at 2MB/s and have pool and gym usage. More importantly, the water and food is clean and won't fucking kill me.
>>
>>1219933

The resort looking pic is Melaka. The cows is Bangalore "The Garden City" and "Silicon Valley of India".
>>
>>1219933
Can you convince me why I should go to Malaysia/Indonesia as an extension of my China trip and not just stay in mainland Asia? What does it have to offer that the rest of SE Asia doesn't?
>>
>>1219933
>>1219935

thanks for the info. where are you from originally? I'm assuming you're white in any case, how is the safety there for foreigners? any visa issues?

how about girls, is it easy to meet them or get sex without losing your mind being celibate?
>>
File: IMG_20160414_115405.jpg (1MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160414_115405.jpg
1MB, 3072x1728px
>>1219941

As a tourist, not much. i've never been to Indonesia but I have a chink friend that loves the place and goes to Bali every year.

As an expat, Malaysia is piss easy to enter, visa-free for 3 months, and 3 month bumps with border runs to Singapore or Thailand. Living conditions are superior to Thailand and can be comparable to Singapore. There's an international airport in KL that goes everywhere, likewise in Singapore. There's a wide variety of food at cheap prices and accommodation is cheap/easy to arrange/high quality. Malaysia has the 2nd best English in Asia, second to Singapore. Transportation and tourist infrastructure is great.
>>
>>1219798
>Again in a shared stick shack without electricity?
not even close. my gf lived in downtown chiang mai on a $250 monthly salary. i have no doubt that you could live on the outskirts of town and cut back on the makeup,clothes, eating out and live off of $200. i live comfortably for about $500 living very close to the way thais do except going out twice a week for beers/dinner
>>
File: reimu-interrogation-marks.jpg (113KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
reimu-interrogation-marks.jpg
113KB, 900x900px
>>1219959

California, I'm chink. Visas are a headache long term in Thailand. You can stay max 9 months if you get a triple entry visa beforehand and get it extended thrice. Thailand is safe but there will be plenty of scam and ripoff attempts.

Malaysia has industry other than tourism so they largely won't give any fucks about you.

Girls in Thailand think everyone is more attractive than they would be in their home country for whatever reason. A Russian girl also wanted to fuck me while I was there. Not sure if prostitute or just horny tourist. Seems easy to whore around if you cared to.

You'll have a harder time in Malaysia. Chinks are a colder bunch, Malays are Muslim, and Indians have their own rules. Whores are available but far more discreet than Thailand. My China Chink friend went whoring every weekend.

>lose mind being celibate
Just watch anime bro. Look, it's Reimu! Isn't she clean and pretty?
>>
You can live if Sihanoukville for about $250 fairly comfortably.
>>
>>1220007
That's a goddamn dream
>>
>>1220007
A lot of foreigners that settle in Sihanoukville seem to end up on drugs, then dying.

http://www.khmer440.com/chat_forum/viewtopic.php?t=53027

Some interesting stats on that page. Most ODs get listed as "heart attack". LOL @ someone's cause of death: fainting.
Also good site if you want to get redpilled on expat life in Cambodia in general.
>>
>>1220025
>http://www.khmer440.com/chat_forum/viewtopic.php?t=53027
i originally wanted to expat in cambodia. reading khmer440 cured me of that want.

there's no reason to pick cambodia over thailand
>>
>>1220037
Poker is legal in Cambodia
>>
>>1220037
Visas are easier. Rock up, get a 30day business visa on arrival. If you hate the place you can fuck off to Thailand, if not just mosey on down to Lucky Lucky Visa and Scooter Rentals and extend it for 3-6 months indefinitely. Not even kidding, google it.
>>
>>1220025
>>1220037

is it true that its actually hard to get laid often for free in Cambodia, and the girls prefer old fat white guys who will pay over young fit guys?
>>
>>1220077
There's plenty of backpackers you might have a chance with. As for the locals, its really a pretty conservative society, so the nice girls aren't going to go for one night stands. There's plenty of not so nice girls though, and those are looking for monetary gain. Depending on how low you want to go, we're not exactly talking massive sums of money though.
>>
I read you can get a nice apartment in Bangkok for $400-$500 a month

Pretty sure you could live in somewhere acceptable to a Thai burger flipper / security guard for $200 a month

How frugal do you want to be?

Personally I would want to start at $1,500 disposable income a month, $1,000 after housing cost
>>
>>1219960
Is it easy as a white foreigner to get a job in Malaysia(not free lancing, more corporate/office job)?
>>
>>1220668

See, Malaysian wages suck. That said, there are white people here with incomes much higher than locals. If you have your Bachelor's degree you can get a job here that pays $400+/mo without a huge amount of hassle. You can get much higher depending on experience and skills. If you want to work in this area, Singapore might be a better bet. Wages there are first world and you still have cheap/easy access to the rest of SEA.
>>
>>1220084
i had a friend of mine who told me a story about meeting a seemingly normal girl and getting along great, going out for a date and doing the business then at the end of the night after they fucked and its time to go she starts asking for $20 and made a ruckus until she got it.

something similar happened to me in thailand where i was fucking this super fine girl for a week then she decided that she deserved "good gift" every time we went out and expected me to buy her like $20-30 worth of stuff every time and put on a sour mood if we didnt find something worth buying.

my point is that you need to specify the conditions of the relationship and decide if her terms are reasonable because i'd say most if not all SEA women expect some kind of monetary relief from their man
>>
i'd say expats should be gassed, and i'd hope the people there steal all your wealth and kill you
>>
>>1220692

why so angry tinydick
>>
>>1220696
mad because we're taking advantage of his country while he's taking advantage of ours
>>
>>1220699
that's a lot of projecting, going to 3rd world countries is pretty degenerate
>>
>>1220701
>going to 3rd world countries is pretty degenerate
that's a lot of projecting
>>
>>1217865

You still have to factor in freak accidents and unpredictable things happening to you

E.g. What if you get into a motorbike accident and lose your leg? You'd have no money to pay for hospital bills. You can't just live paycheck to paycheck on a low amount of money. You need at least $1500-$2000 a month in SEA.
>>
>>1220702
there's nothing in a 3rd world country to go to that's really worth living there for
>>
>>1220704
i cut my costs by 80% and got away from the american nanny state also the weather is great and there's fewer obese people. no reason not to live here except for family who should be on the way soon.
>>
>>1220705
why would you want your family living in a 3rd world country
>america
>nanny state
trump got elected buddy
>>
>>1220708
i wouldnt want to raise kids here but my retired parents sure. the third world is pretty great if you have money btw.
>trump got elected buddy
even 8 years of trump couldnt cure the states
>>
>>1220711
>even 8 years of trump couldnt cure the states
we'll see
even if you live there when you're old, what will you do? just wallow in degeneracy as you get old
the "good life" gets old, most people who are rich and bored go to dark places, you don't really want to go there do you?
It'd be better to live in a place where you can watch your grandchildren grow up a happy life
>>
>>1220712
I work for myself online and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. i'll probably move to spain in a few years since i've heard it can be just as cheap as cities in thailand and i did 4 years of spanish. my dream would be to permanently integrate back in to a european country but i'm a stingy bastard and wouldn't feel safe about moving to europe without at least 6 figures in savings
>>
>>1220714
then Spain is our best option
it is your dream after all
>>
>>1220704
>there's nothing in a 3rd world country to go to that's really worth living there for
Lower cost of living, warm weather and more sex.
Better food as well.

I live in London and I hate it here.
>>
>>1220714

what do you do online?
>>
>>1220037
Cambodia rocks in comparison to Thailand. The Thais are nationalist fools, that spend their lives getting fucked by royalty and military. Cambodians are uneducated country bumpkins that smile a lot and kinda like you. Thais on the other hand, hate your guts.

>>220077
>laid often for free in Cambodia
"Whores" will give it to you for free .if you are young and might be regarded as handsome. But they will use that to make you feel sympathy for them. Then when their parents get sick, or your GF literally does not have enough to eat, or her sister will get her face sliced 'cause she can't pay her bills, you'll be paying. There are no free rides, unless you are a handsome sociopath that screw'em leave 'em.
>>
>>1220793
humidity sucks ass bro
>>
>>1221017

-What's it like living in Cambodia
-What's the best city in Cambodia that has at least some Western luxuries but still cheap
-How's the internet/wifi connection there?

thanks buddy
>>
>>1221017

>"Whores" will it it to you for free

What you are referring to as "whores" are "sluts". Whores have sex for money. Sluts will do it for fun.
>>
Thais look better, Cambodians are too dark

Thais are a happy medium between white Chinese and darker SEA
>>
>>1221215
>What's it like living in Cambodia
Scorching. Dirty. Amusing. Sympathy-inducing. Seldom dull.
>What's the best city in Cambodia that has at least some Western luxuries
Phnom Penh. Sihanoukville. Siem Reap Kampot ( a gem)

>>1221262
>muh missing the point of quotation marks
Thank you Yoda. I suggest you take a walk in the fresh air.

>How's the internet/wifi connection
Depends. In the bigger cities and towns: you can get your own 5-10mbps line. In some guesthouses, off season, you can use all of that for yourself. But don't expect the router to be configured correctly for sharing. In some places fibre with more bandwidth is available. Latency to Europe/USA should be around 80-140ms.
>>
Vietnam, Im in Hanoi and Im not even trying to budget and all up Im not even coming close to $750
>>
>>1221293
nice
I'm going in a few months, budget of $800/mo
how are the chicks?
Is the city too noisy?
is it easy to buy fresh veggies and meat ? (any kind)

>>1219933
what is the secret to find cheap accomodation?
do u know any good mid sized cities in Vietnam or PI?
>>
>>1221486

In Thailand a guy had extra space and set me up with that so I didn't even pay. In Malaysia you'll want to use ibilik.com. In India, you need a local otherwise you'll get cheated as high as you're willing to pay. Long term housing prices are generally around half of airbnb.
>>
>>1221501
what the fuck!!! these places at ibilik are cheap as hell
did I understand it right? $50 for a month?? (yeah it's just a bed, but still...)
http://www .ibilik. ph/rooms/ 3865959/boarding-house-in-cebu-city-for-rent

thanks a lot
>>
As a Malaysian I can say you can easily live comfortably here for $250 a month. That's 50% to pay for a moderately comfortable room, and 50% for the rest of your general living expenses.

Note that this is the price at KL, the capital with the best shit.

I myself live by roughly the same amount with a few splurges here and there. This is mostly due to the amount of financial commitments than a poor paying job, I ran my own startup business, so I live frugally until it can get off the ground. (mostly, I still sink a bunch of money of Steam and the occasional hooker)
>>
>>1221644
And for those who are interested, Malaysia hookers are mostly Philippines and Vietnams, with China girl being a premium. A good hour long in a well-funded massage parlor with expert all-in-one services only cost around $45, which is a farcry from the rip off that is Thai.

Locals are costs way more than you can afford, and good luck finding any Malays due to HARAM.
>>
Oh, and alcohols are stupidly expensive here due to HARAM. So cut back your drinking and you should be fine.
>>
>>1221644
Get a local friend to vouch for you, then a $100 rent for a room in city center is relatively easy to get. There are little to no paper work in renting in Malaysia.

My sister live in one which cost only $112 per month, and my office costs only $150 per month, minus utilities.
>>
>>1221646
>>1221648
>>1221649
It sucks that I can't go to KL and pick up non working girls :(

maybe it would be fun to play soccer there
(I'm brazilian, gimme the shirt number 10)
>>
>>1221644
What's the Ladyboy situation in ML? I heard that despite strict religiousness of people, ladyboys are widespread ?
>>
>>1221882
Nah, Malaysia's religious enforcement is lax as fuck, as long as you don't openly defame the Islamic community you can get away with pretty much everything.

Hell, I can get good pork in practically every streets, Chinese here, other than the price of some HARAM commodity Islam have little to no influence to our daily lives.

So our ladyboy scene here is less religious strictness but more just... not a thing here. There is a ladyboy scene here but they are lowkey enough that I don't know much about it.
>>
>>1221688
It's surprisingly easy to pick up girls in Malaysia, you just need the right apps for it. We are big on WeChat social app, so there is good chance you can find some local hookup after a good conversation.

One of the primary selling point of WeChat is that you can get a list of people around you and you can get in touch with them without them ever knowing you before.

One of the most common pickup routine here is go to a crowded area/club/mall fill with people you might want to hook up in, then use the app to get in touch with potential date who might be interested for someone as well.
>>
>>1221688
Our soccer scene is surprisingly passionate, mostly malay. They are big on local matches, states versus states basically.

The audience are almost always 99% malay, because majority of the players are also malays. They really get hotblooded about the sport.
>>
>>1221981
>>1221990
fucking nice

the cheapest ticket destination in SEA (flying from home) is KL... so I guess I'll spend a few days!

hit the malls to score goals on chicks
go to soccer clubs and try to get my dick sucked

wait I messed it up
>>
>>1218113
Drinks are cheaper in Cambodia and Laos because its smuggled into the country from chinese factories.

>That 25 year old Chivas Regal you're drinking is actually just a knock off made in huge volume in factories in Southern China.

>But the label is legit
No it's a copy too.
>>
>>1221882
backpage is tacked and like most of asia's big cities there are tranny streetwalkers
Chow Kit Area in Lorong Haji Taib, Lorong Haji Taib 1, Lorong Haji Taib 2, Lorong Haji Taib 3, Lorong Haji Taib 4, and Jalan Sri Amar.

Jalan Bukit Bintang is another

i would opt to use online options if i were you but picking up street girls is always cheaper
>>
>>1220704

Third world countries can offer early retirement opportunities. I like to surf, fish, snowboard. Maybe other people like trail riding, or rock climbing, or what have you.

Third world a good.
>>
>>1219798

haha i thought you were kidding but then i opened his blog post. it's literally a flophouse with a bunch of sleeping pads on a tile floor.

if your standards are _that_ low you can do very similar in the US.
>>
>>1222435
it's called "living like a Thai" and it cost less than 300 a month you can get a pretty nice place for around 400 and food cost will be low you can save about half of that check
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.