[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travelling jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: 417368.jpg (104KB, 600x440px) Image search: [Google]
417368.jpg
104KB, 600x440px
Let's discuss jobs that will allow you to travel or live as an expat, other than TEFL. Here are some starters:

>logistics / supply chain management
>humanitarian aid work
>embassy / foreign service
>flight attendant

What do you think /trv/? Any personal experience?
>>
>>1207798
I have lived in HK on and off for 4 years while I was sent abroad from my EU based company to supervise manufacturing in our chinese partner factories and to manage our biggest customers accounts.
It was great, appartment was paid for (really the main expense for an expat in HK), and I had a good salary even by western standard.

It is the best of both worlds really, I just regret I spent everything and didn't think to save some, I burnt tens of thousands that would have helped me later in life. But it was a great experience nonetheless
>>
>>1207798
Get a job in NDT, my last job (Sperry Rail Service) was 100% travel.
>>
>>1207876
>I burnt tens of thousands that would have helped me later in life. But it was a great experience nonetheless

I did the same thing working in the Gulf. Still wouldn't change the experience for the world
>>
>>1207876
>>1208127

What did you guys blow all your money on?
>>
I work as a penetration tester for the fed government on a contract basis. I can do my job from anywhere that there's Internet. I also do penetration testing in the private sector. I make around...10-12 grand a month after uncle sam takes his share and it affords me to go wherever. I usually am fine with sitting at home, but lately I've been exploring Asia.
>>
>>1208153
coke and hookers
>>
>>1208404
is it because you get paid so much but you cannot really heave fun in a shithole urban jungle like Dubai that you spend it on ridiculously expensive pleasures?

(I'm serious)
>>
Ive been in Australia for almost 4 weeks now.
Looking for a job but cant find any. Not for any lack of trying though. Send out a shit ton of emails applying for shitty farm jobs and fruit picking, but no one even sends me a reply.

Everyone keeps telling me its easy to get a job here but so far I'm struggling.

Anyone have any tips or ideas?
>>
>>1208153
HK ex-expat here.
Anything a single guy in his twenties would spend on.
Vidya, DVD, sneakers, eating out and buying expensive imported stuff from all around the world. And spending a lot on the short time I'd spend back home.
>>
>>1207798
>travel
Musician or music crew guy. I've seen a good chunk of the world as a musician. Crew guys I know have seen more than I have working for acts more famous than any I played with. A great tour manager, front of house sound guy or even monitor engineer can be on par with any big tier act in terms of seeing the world. You just work harder. That goes double for crew guys further down the chain.
>>
File: SRS141B3.jpg (194KB, 720x472px) Image search: [Google]
SRS141B3.jpg
194KB, 720x472px
>>1208114
cool beans. did you travel around in those yellow & black railcars? do they put you up in hotels or was there a personal suite in the railcar itself?
>>
>>1208530
As a native australian, it's a bitch to find work, the people who say it's easy already have jobs. It's going to be hard, try some job agencies, and try applying in person. Australia sucks when it comes to finding work.
>>
>>1207798
Digital nomad :^)
>>
>>1208628
They let you stay on the rail-bound on some still, but on ours (SRS 145), they stopped letting people do this because a crew got robbed at gunpoint one night in some shit town in MS.

Sperry gives you corporate lodging cards, and yes it was quite enjoyable, saw a lot of the worst parts of the south.
>>
>>1208632

while searching for jobs I found this: http://www.work-n-travel-australia.com/

They charge 2500 dollars for a week of training! This has to be a scam right?
>>
>>1208911
Of course it is.
What kind of "training" they can give you within a week for $2.5k ?
Maybe they can "guarantee" you a job afterwards. But who knows.
>>
>>1208912

Emailed them, they do "guarantee" work. For 1400 dollars they guarantee one job for at least 3 months. 2500 dollars if I want guaranteed work for a whole year.
>>
Trying to get into supply chain. How would I go about getting an entry level job internationally?

I am already checking job boards, but is there a better way?
>>
I'm thinking of joining the Peace corps, but I don't know if it would be useful or worth it. Also, would it be smarter to join before or after I get my degree. I still 8 months till I even start uni, but it is for computer engineering so it is bretty competitive.
>>
>>1207798
bartending/waiting tables is the obvious one, but it's not too sustainable. You have to worry about some manager scheduling you correctly, followed by customers coming in that shift.

>waiter/bartender trying to learn webdev
>>
>>1208969
It's for the Indians and Chinese.
>>
>>1208413
What do you mean ypu can't have fun? The shit was a blast.
>>1208404
No coke. Hookers, yes.
>>
>>1209035
I would say USA jobs, but the whole Trump hiring freeze....
>>
>>1208530
If you're an expat, try youth hostels.

I know 2 people who worked at youth hostels in Australia; basically in exchange for a dorm bed, a couple of meals per day and some pocket money they sit at the front desk, wash linen, clean toilets and so on. It's a pretty easy life and you get to party with all the travelers, which is fun.

This is pretty common in the English speaking world from what I've seen. I've stayed in hostels in the US where lots of the staff are Europeans.

But you need to have a legit work visa... if you're there on a tourist visa, I don't know how you'd go about finding a sponsor and I'd be skeptical about your chances at just picking something up that isn't basically a scam unless you have some kind of in with somebody. (But then I've never been to Australia myself...) If you've got a visa, then keep trying... fast food joints and places that employ lots of students (i.e. near universities) have a high staff turnaround and are often looking for people. But if you don't have a work visa, you may just be better off enjoying the rest of the holiday and going home afterwards than spending thousands of Dollars paying some exploitative company to have you picking fruit with a bunch of Asians who are planning to overstay their visas and go underground in Chinatown.
>>
>>1209192
>If you're an expat, try youth hostels.
and by "expat" I guess I meant "non-Australian with a work visa"
>>
I've been thinking of traveling by boat around the world and work as some sort of crew man. Searched around for these yacht jobs too. Anyone with experience on this?
>>
>>1209319
I'm sure some rich oldfags would take you if you could provide your boipucci.
On a more serious note, no, noone will take your neet ass for a round the world trip for free.
>>
Do nicer hotels in tourist destinations like to hire British workers or is that a cliche?
>>
File: 1472521486770.jpg (3MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1472521486770.jpg
3MB, 2560x1600px
>>1209327
But as an engineer? Or maybe work for free and being a whore of the seven seas in the beginning? Some offers were recruiting amateur crew who were being paid nothing, but you got the ride.
>>
>>1209414
>Some offers were recruiting amateur crew who were being paid nothing, but you got the ride.
Where did you find them?

I'm considering taking some boat from North America to SEA, but have no idea where to look for something liek that
>>
>>1209062
>I'm thinking of joining the Peace corps, but I don't know if it would be useful or worth it.
I know literally hundreds of returned Peace Corps volunteers, of whom only two report having had bad experiences (one had to be evacuated from civil war, one got a lot of sexual harassment from local men). As for worth it, to whom? To the countries? Debatable. But my impression is that PC projects are typically harmless at worst. They may not change the world much, but they can do some good. Worth it to the volunteers? In some fields, definitely. I work in international development, and the Peace Corps is very widely respected as an entry-level job in the field. And most people I know who have done it have learned languages, become more self-reliant, etc. Useful in most fields.

>Also, would it be smarter to join before or after I get my degree. I still 8 months till I even start uni, but it is for computer engineering so it is bretty competitive.
Smarter and easier to join when you have your degree. Most postings require a degree and the few that don't require relevant professional experience.
>>
File: 1468420428985.jpg (225KB, 1200x803px) Image search: [Google]
1468420428985.jpg
225KB, 1200x803px
>>1209457
crewbay.com
I don't know if this site is good, but it's free.
>>
>>1209460
Is there anything like the Peace Crops but for Europeans?
>>
>>1207798
>foreign service
Georgetown grad school

Better be an educational badass/wealthy/cultured/good family to start with, though. This is a program where people like senator's or CEO's kids would be go to in order to get some kind of embassy position and one more step up in the world.
>>
>>1209534
I don't know much about government-supported programs, but check out VSO, which is global (based in UK, I think, but open to people anywhere) and well-respected (https://www.vsointernational.org/volunteering). There is also UNV, UN Volunteers. But both of these organizations expect some proven professional skills and experience, so they're not as good for just-out-of-university types.
>>
>>1208530
Been living in Aus for about 6 months now. Just keep applying. It took me 2 months to land a proper job so don't stop sending your resume/CV. You'll land something eventually. Just make sure you highlight what they're looking for a push that point across.
>>
>>1209062
I did the Peace Corps. Get your degree first, you'll almost certainly need it.

The Anon above nailed it. Truth be told, most of the benefits of the program will be reflected in you, not in the host country. Sure, I made a microscopic difference for a handful of people in my service country, but the lion's share of change occurred within me.
>>
>>1209460
>I work in international development

Could you expand on this? I'm interested in going into that field, what are some other things I can do to help qualify myself for it?
>>
I majored in geography and urban planning along with a bunch of graduate credits, plus ArcGIS experience. I'd love to get sent around the world. I'm trying to find something that I could get hired for.
>>
>>1209887
>Could you expand on this? I'm interested in going into that field, what are some other things I can do to help qualify myself for it?
Depends a lot on the kind of organization you want to work for and the kind of work you personally want to do. (Water, sanitation, hygiene? Refugees? Public health? Women's empowerment? Local economic development? Education? Microcredit? Policy?) But the shortest of paths is to earn a Master's degree or better in a relevant field, and to get fellowships or internships with government agencies or multilateral institutions--navigating donor bureaucracy is a skill set common to just about everyone in the sector.

I did not take a typical path, but I wish I had in hindsight-- I wasted a lot of time. I got an almost-irrelevant MA and acquired experience over a period of years by working in gradually-less-menial capacities at NGOs. Eventually I was able to specialize, and I now focus on public-private partnerships mostly aimed at creating local economic opportunities. Mostly complicated writing and editing on a day-by-day basis.
>>
>>1207798

I teach people about alcohol. It's taken me to every continent except antartica, and have been travelling for ten years now, eight of which as an expat. One day i'll teach those penguins how to drink, but until then AMA
>>
>>1210046
How did you get that job?
Where are you from?

Teaching about bad side of alcohol or how to drink different ones properly?
>>
>>1210104
He's probably a wine seller. I have seen them all over. Or some other kind of alcohol salesmen
>>
Merchant Navy. One month at sea, one month on land.
>>
>>1210042
Thanks for the response. Does your job take you abroad at all or is it spent mostly in an office?
>>
>>1210598
You are very welcome. My work used to send me abroad a lot--maybe 40% of my total time was spent in the field. Then I had kids and quit my full-time job, so I'm now a consultant (mostly for the same NGO where I was a senior staff member). As a consultant, I travel very little. About once a year. But that is by choice.
>>
Bump.

I'm currently getting my MS and have experience volunteering abroad for several months. My goal has been to get a job where I can travel (foreign service, tough to get in though) or have significant time to do so (like oilfield).

I've been thinking about the peace corps a lot.
>>
Hi

I'm just starting my MS in Drug addiction prevention and therapy.

I feel like that is a field that is open for a lot of people to practice all over the world.
As long as you have accreditations from western countries, like an MS or PHD and that you have some kind of experience, like an internship with direct work.

Me that's my goal.

I did the CELTA for english, and fuck am i not a teacher.
But maybe working at a rehab center would be a given for some of you.
Especially if you've studied in a field like psychology, social work or even pre-med.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.