[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Didn't know whether or not to post this on /int/, but you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: redarm.jpg (14KB, 400x249px) Image search: [Google]
redarm.jpg
14KB, 400x249px
Didn't know whether or not to post this on /int/, but you guys seem way cooler and more likely to be experienced. I was wondering which country it would be possible to retire to with 100k USD$ ? No requirement s really. Somewhat first world would be nice and really my only deal breaker. Safety and access to the internet would also be great. Any ideas travellers?
>>
When do you plan on making that move?
>>
>>1207508
Not even sure that I am, I just want to research it. I heard a stories when I was a kid of people taking 200,000$ USD and retiring to Thailand. It would be nice not having to work, wouldn't it? Learning about a new culture and generally being adventuresome.
>>
>>1207509
OP here. I just know that within the next 5-10 years I will have between 100-200k USD. I figure if I learn the language now and the culture it'll make my retirement to that country much easier. I really hate being a wage slave.
>>
>>1207505
At what age? It's pretty important how long the money is supposed to last.
>Somewhat first world would be nice
That's not a lot of money. I guess you could try Eastern Europe for a compromise, but even then it wouldn't last you too long if you want decent comfort. You better croak fast.
>>
>>1207517
>work for 10 years
>Saving $200,000
>being a wage slave

Does not compute
>>
I travel on $380 a month, but that is really the minimum. 100k can last 20 years on that. As someone who wants to retire in comfort you would want at least double my budget or more.
So 100k is more like 5-10 years.
This is speaking third world countries.
>>
that's not enough mate.
I suppose you are pretty young and wanna last some 60 years or more. Even if you presume you'd be able to invest in a way that counters the inflation - which is gonna be massive over that period - 100k for 60 years is peanuts. Consider also that you'll want increasingly more comfort and your medical needs are gonna increase a lot.

I'm gonna quit my job when/if I make it to 2million. And I'm well over 30, so I guess I need less than you.

Sad world.
>>
>>1207505

>100k for retirement
>first world

Choose one. There is no way you're retiring anywhere remotely first world with that amount. North America and Europe are out. All of the modern cities in Asia are out. You might be able to get a trailer in the Australian outback and live off grubworms.
>>
OP a big portion of this money would go into housing, obviously you'd want a country where this amount could buy you your own property, and given that cost of living is cheap you could last some time.
Unfortunately all the countries that are not utter shitholes (definitely NOT first world tho) and have such cheap accommodation also usually have very agressive visa policies and very limiting ownership laws. Basically only a national can own land or building. This is why skinnyfat balding white men settle down with locals in Madagascar, Thailand, Brazil etc, and end up dead.
>>
You could try the pitcairn islands.

They have no real restrictions for becoming a permanent resident and they suggest you bring at least 15k NZ$, which is about 10k US$. They also grant you land for free if you become a resident.

The question is whether you really want to live on a tiny island with a population of less than a hundred people.
>>
Latin America, outside of the obvious shit holes, could be an idea. I doubt 200k is enough, though. Sounds like you can make a lot of money to save quickly, maybe aim for more than 200.
>>
This may violate the spirit of the thread because it's not strictly retirement, but OP could take a 10 hour teaching schedule at some college in China and barely work at all while getting enough money to allow him to stay indefinitely, make his savings stretch way way longer. Lots of people in retirement volunteer or take on some tasks because otherwise they get bored, so it may work for you.
>>
OP here. Thanks guys! Going to sleep now, I'll explain more tomorrow.
>>
>>1207672
>Latin America, outside of the obvious shit holes,
lets see...

Chile is burning the fuck away
Peru is completely flooded

that both getting worse throughout the next years due to "weather" as Trump would call it.

oh! and speaking of Mister cunt-hand!
Mexiko will be on war with the US.

then we still have Venezuela where the prisoners now eat each other as the wwhole country is starving so no one gives a shit about them.
Brasilia is murder land.
columbia also has some war / clash issues.

hmm. argentina then?
>>
>>1207940
i'm not trying to say those are frecking beautiful countries with some lovely people indeed, but there us a bit of a difference if you're just travelling for a bit or if you plan to live there cause for the latter you'll have to deal with their problems at some point as well.
>>
>>1207578

There is the concept of Safe Withdrawal Rate, see here for details:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/05/29/how-much-do-i-need-for-retirement/
>>
Nowhere, OP. Not if you want to live like a human being.

There are people who have "retired" to the Klong Thoey Slum, where they rent a space between the tarps for $50 a month and subsist on rice and insects. Go for that if you want.

Generally accepted minimum for living decently in Thailand is US$1000 per month.

You might get away with a little less in places like shithole Africa, but you need to keep in mind that the locals will see you as a walking ATM and will either charge you more for buying anything or will outright rob you if they think you have anything of value to steal.

If you want to retire to somewhere with rule-of-law and people who won't fuck you over, you will need to save a lot more than that.

Also keep in mind that if you ever have a medical emergency, that $100,000 will get wiped out in a matter of weeks. Even in countries with "free healthcare", the "free healthcare" is going to be absolute shit, and if you want lifesaving treatment you'd better be prepared to pay. I currently reside in one, and every expat I know, myself included, has been told to fuck off whenever we go in. I knew one guy who was left permanently crippled because the retarded quacks didn't want to waste the national health insurance money on piecing his broken bones back together; they just let everything sit in place until it fused. It wouldn't have even been particularly expensive. I myself had to pay US$1500 out of pocket for rabies vaccinations after being bitten by a bat, because "we are a poor country, we cannot afford to treat every minor bite!" Bullshit, they just wanted the cash -- all the stonewalling and rejection evaporated instantly when I pulled out my wallet.
>>
File: notching_logs_for_wall.jpg (34KB, 300x230px) Image search: [Google]
notching_logs_for_wall.jpg
34KB, 300x230px
Alone in the Wilderness.

Alaska prebuilt cabin with a strip of beach on a lake runs about $50k. Grab a skiff. Subsistence fishing, hunting, garden if in the south.

What you got to consider is lifestyle. Milking away your honeypot is no good. Throw down some capital and farm. Teach english and expat. A lifestyle makes it healthier anyhow, you don't want to just sit in a room for the rest of your life.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.