[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So next year on Jan 21 2018 I'm going somewhere that begins

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_7715_950_iceland.jpg (424KB, 950x634px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7715_950_iceland.jpg
424KB, 950x634px
So next year on Jan 21 2018 I'm going somewhere that begins with an 'I'. I've narrowed it down
to a choice between two countries: Iceland and Israel.

I'm 27, have visited Thailand, China, Jamaica and Mexico already.
I'm working with a max budget of $2,000 for 10 days. I like beautiful nature, interesting history/culture,
good food. qts are always a plus but I don't like to party and I'm not attractive so I don't
have any expectations in that regard.

I can't decide which I should visit so any suggestions or info /trv/ can give would be appreciated; anyone
ever been to these places?

What were they like?
>>
didn't specify being jewish so iceland

average person will be nicer, not that all israelis are jerks, but the more religious don't always like secular people, and the men tend to act macho

getting in and out of border control is a lot easier

good chance for some northern lights
>>
>>1206644
>but the more religious don't always like secular people, and the men tend to act macho

I picked up on this, it comes across even on 4chan if you check out /int/
>>
>>1206621
Israel is a shithole with no nature and surprisingly little culture, every site that's not biblical, i.e. most of them, are poorly maintained if at all. The levant is surprisingly cold in winter, but not the good kind of cold, it'll be shitty and rainy. Jerusalem might see snow, but again, not the good kind, it's the slushy kind with ice underneath.

Iceland has shockingly beautiful nature and a cold and refreshing climate with chances of seeing northern lights. No random checkpoints or soldiers pointing their guns at you just for shits. Getting around is more difficult than in summer, but with that budget you'll have no problems.

tl;dr Iceland is the obvious choice.

But if I might ask, why that specific date and why does it have to be a country starting with I?
>>
Iceland of course.
>>
>>1206621
>choosing location based on a fucking letter in the alphabet
Worst travel meme I've seen.
>>
>>1206682
Just spent 10 days in Israel and I disagree senpai. Lots of great nature, forrest/plains in the north, desert in the south. Maybe it's because I live in a desert (Arizona) but I really respect and enjoy the desert terrain. Granted I was there in December, not July.

Op, are you American? Everyone in Israel would ask me if I was American, and when I would say yes, they would say something like "Welcome! I love America". Not kidding. I didn't have one person ask me if I was Jewish.

If you chose Israel, stay safe. I didn't go to the West Bank or the Gaza strip. I did go to the Golan Heights and Jerusalem. Iceland sounds pretty cool too.
>>
>>1206682
Lol so wrong about Israel.

OP for January I'd choose Israel. Iceland will be cold as SHIT in January (temperature wise it's actually not that cold, but the moisture and coastal winds will penetrate any clothing) and you'll have all 4 hours of sunlight a day. Plus you'll have missed the awesome NYE celebration in Reykjavik by then. It is stunningly beautiful in the winter though granted, but the glaciers are around all year.

Israel in January can be quite rainy but most of the time it's very pleasant and sunny and will give you a nice sunshower to break off the winter blues. Plus there are so many fun locations and cities you can visit. You can party and soak up metropolitan culture in Tel Aviv (which is one of my fave cities in the world), discover a dense historical jungle in Jerusalem, go on a peaceful getaway in Haifa, soak in the sun in Eilat, get a culture chock in Palestinian territories. Can't recommend it enough
>>
>>1206621
Iceland is waaaaaay better than Israel, but January may not be the best time to go with like 6 hours of daylight, but it is truly an awesome place for nature and weird ass culture
>>
>>1206682
Seems like Israel would have better food, and although vikings are cool it's hard to imagine Iceland offering more history wise.
>>
>>1207476
History-wise Israel is great, in theory, but no matter what view you have on the conflict down there, it's and undeniable fact that Israel after its creation destroyed a lot of Arab/Muslim historical sites, which just so happens to account for the past 1500 years of the country. Jerusalem was mostly spared, but even there the extension of the Western Wall plaza in 1967 meant the destruction of the entire Moroccan quarter, including a mosque predating Saladin, one of only three in the city from that time. It has also been the official Israeli archeological policy for quite some time to dig down to discover Biblical history only, therefore destroying Arab and Roman history in the process. All the wars for the past 80 years haven't helped either.

What I'm trying to say is that Israel is great for Bible tourism, but if you're interested in history before or after that, 90% of the sites will be gone or neglected.
>>
>>1207582
>What I'm trying to say is that Israel is great for Bible tourism, but if you're interested in history before or after that, 90% of the sites will be gone or neglected.

Literally ISIS tier, one of the few things along with pedophilia that get me so pissed off is destroying history on purpose or accident.
>>
>>1206621
2 grand for 10 days in Iceland is barely enough, 2 grand for 7 days and you'd be pushing it.
>>
>>1206748
Not even op but way to be closed-minded. I would never do it this way but I think it's fucking cool. My boss has traveled so much that she just picks countries like this now. She knows she's gonna have a good time and learn wherever she decides to go... So who cares?
>>
>>1207695
www.budgetyourtrip.com/iceland
suggests it's reasonable
>>
File: hotfrostedflakescereal.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hotfrostedflakescereal.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>1206621
>>1206644
>>1206682
Honestly I was just kidding about the wanting to visit a country that begins with the letter 'I'. The fact that I narrowed it down to
either Iceland or Israel was pure coincidence. If it was true why not India o Ireland? That said I don't think it's bad approach; assuming one wants
to visit every country they can and has difficulty choosing, picking a letter from the alphabet is as good a method of narrowing things down as any,
especially if you had a big enough budget that any country beginning with that letter was realistically available to you.

I want to go around mid Jan because that's when I've got the most free time.

Cold weather doesn't bother me at all, I'm not psyched about cold drizzle but it's not the end of the world.

I think you're getting a bit carried away with the destruction and lack of preservation at some historical sites though. Leveling the Moroccan quarter
is indeed a tragedy, but it's not like the instant Israel did that all their other ancient sites just vanished along with it. I think there's still plenty
to see, and a friend of mine who is an archeology student confirms. It sounds like you've got a grudge or something, or some sort of political agenda...
I think most people do, but politics never factor into my choice of travel destinations, or anything that I do so I'll just ignore this.

I'm not Jewish, and I would probably never pass for a Jew in most people's eyes. I wouldn't pretend to be one either, I'm agnostic and don't know enough about
Judaism for any attempt at that to even be plausible.

Israeli paranoia is a legit concern. If I visit Israel I would probably visit Jordan and Egypt as well.

I would like to see the Aurora, the fact that I will be traveling in the winter is a plus in this regard since Wintertime is the best time to see it. More
darkness will just mean more opportunities to do so, fuck sunshine, it's not like I was planning to spend all day hanging out at the beach anyway.
>>
>>1209156
>so I'll just ignore this.
Why do you ask for advice when you're just going to ignore it? I was merely saying that if you want to check out milennia of history, Israel isn't the obvious choice. That's not to say they don't have any sights at all, but Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt has preserved their historical sights way better. That's not a political statement, and it's not anti-Israel bias, I'm just as pissed at the destruction of history in Syria, Iraq and Saudi Arabia, for example. Sights in Israel proper were destroyed in order to build Israel as a Jewish homeland, and you obviously can't do that with Arab heritage all over the place, while sights in the West Bank are poorly maintained because of politcal incompetence and 80 years of war. It is you, not me, who has a political agenda if you can't see this.

I'm a history buff myself, but traveling in Israel, where thousands of years of history is destroyed just in order to build some arbitrary national identity, just pissed me off. You said you were interested in history, that's why I mentioned it, but you seem to be kinda retarded, so I'll just leave you to it.
>>
>>1209187
>N-no you!
Alright, alright I'm not dismissing your points entirely, it's lucky we made it this far without zionists or /pol/ spilling in. The Mughrabi Quarter was razed long before my birth so short of time machine, there's nothing I can do about that....I just want to see the general area before it inevitably implodes. We've lost a lot these last couple of years due to both man and nature.

Anyway, if I did go I'm thinking of flying into AMM rather than TLV, for obvious reasons.
>>
as a person that live in Israel:
go to Iceland. israel is shithole.
if you are not in love with jesus or something go to Iceland>>1206621
>>
What are some supercritical things to do in Iceland?
>>
>>1209854
See the Golden Circle. Might be difficult by public transport in winter, but it's the entire reason people go to Iceland, you literally need to see it.
>>
>>1209877
Have you ever been personally if so what were some of the highlights?

Also I know this is a stupid question considering that Iceland's population is actually less than the city I live in; but what is city life like in Iceland? Anything fun to do Explorer or experience just in Reykjavik? If the people are stuck inside all winter they must be doing something social to stay entertained or meet strangers
>>
>>1208888

To be honest that site is bullshit, e.g if you set it to high end/luxury it says food is about 18$...for 18$ you can get a hamburger with fries. Restaurant meals are from 35-65$ easily.
>>
>>1209930
>Restaurant meals are from 35-65$ easily.
For a family, or just for one person? Sounds about right; for just myself better fast food places, meal side and drink from fast food runs me about $7 to $11

I once spent $200 on a meal just for myself but that was just a one time thing, I won some cash and went crazy just for the experience.

I don't drink so can't verify their booze prices. Usually opt for hostels over hotels so I'll cut their prices.
>>
>>1206621
Go to Greenland, it is lush and verdant while Iceland is a frozen wasteland.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.