[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/South Korea/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Going to be in Seoul for a couple of months, what can I expect?
Do I need to know basic Korean to survive? Are the people friendly? What's there to do/see?
>>
Key<3

You don't need Korean for survival, however it's good to at least learn hangul (spoiler: it's phonetic) and shopping level Korean to make your life easier.
What are your interests?

Also make a 'to eat' list.
>>
>>1205035
>>
>>1205788
What exactly is shopping level Korean? I tried to look up some basic phrases but other than the hellos and thank yous it seems difficult to even memorize.
I guess my interests are nightlife, shopping, hanging out with locals if possible (good website for meetups there?). Is it easy to get around with public transport?
And is there any way to avoid eating meat there, I realize it's big part of their culture.

Sorry for the question spam.
>>
>>1205877
I don't know what you meant about shopping 'level' but luxury stuffs are a little bit expensive or similar to them in europe and us. And normally a bit cheaper but pricing level is just similar.

it will be better to go Itaewon for meeting mates either native or foreign, rather than using website. it will be easy to meet up in there. there is no such hard things in transportation in seoul. Sooooooooo easy to anywhere in seoul and cheap.
>>
>>1205877
Hello, thank you, sorry, this please

Next level: learning the numbers
(I would still get into hangul if I were you, like half of the signs you will see is English, just transliterated into hangul...)

Meetup apps idk, familiarize yourself with KakaoTalk, though.

Compared to how much they talk about meat, it's easier to avoid it. Another reason for you to read up on Korean dishes, there are eg. plenty of tofu stews, soups, pancakes etc that you can buy all over the place. Also even in a social setting, if you find yourself in a galbi place or whatever... They bring so many side dishes anyway, that you will be full just eating those, and grilling the onion and other veggies.

Scroll down for the related vocab
http://www.thevegetariantraveller.com/a-guide-to-being-vegetarian-in-south-korea/
>>
>>1205877
Oh and google maps is not really a thing in Korea, so use naver or daum maps.

Public transportation is excellent all over the country. Signs are mostly in hangul and latin, announcents are mostly in Korean/English, but can go up to Korean/English/Chinese/Japanese depending on what tourists go to the area.

For a handy Seoul metro app (it even tells you where to stand on the metro if you want to transfer to another line, so you can imagine how easy it is to navigate there). http://connieinkorea.tumblr.com/post/111613276380/how-to-use-the-jihachulsubway-app

Nightlife -- Gangnam if you have the clothes, Hongdae if you want something more hip.
Avoid Itaewon at all costs if you want to hang out with locals.
If you leave Seoul, it's much easier to hang out with locals... Idk whenever I was alone, I always had people come up to me for a chat, so only used apps to keep in touch with them.
The noses on the picture you'll see around Gangnam mostly, it's going to be scary af. Go to Busan for a big city with more diverse Korean faces.

Shopping, I'm sure you've heard of Myeongdong and Dongdaemun. Those are the places for you if you want fashion and cosmetics for peanut. Apgujeong if you have thousands of dollars to burn. Well, you can always just go to Apgujeong if you want to stare at fancy stuff, some of the architecture is interesting, too... But yeah, Dongdaemun market if you want cheap and stylish stuff. Make sure you eat lol Cause it's freaking huge. You can only imagine the size if you've been to some bigger Chinese markets before.
Hongdae basically has a small selection of what comes from Dongdaemun, for a little bit more money.
>>
>>1205898
It says there are two different number sets, do I have to know both?
>even in a social setting
Thanks this is what I'm worried about, I don't want people not inviting me out to eat because they'll think I'm going to starve
And thanks for the links! I appreciate it.
>Gangnam if you have the clothes
Designer? Does it actually matter?
I've heard people are friendlier outside of Seoul but I'll be staying in Songpa/Gangnam area. Do people just ignore foreigners there? I'm assuming they'd be used to them.
>>
>>1206047
Different guy here
Most foreigners in Songpa/Gangam are Chinese or Japanese, people don't ignore foreigners in all of Central Seoul, but Itaewon has a problem with dickish foreigners (American soldiers mostly) causing problems. You'll be fine though, there's plenty of foreign tourists and people will try to help if you need it (especially if you're white kek).

I was there last month, I saw very few restuarants outside of expensive tourist areas with English menus or any menus besides posters on the walls, it was all in Hangul only.
Is it just meat or fish you want to avoid?

You need to dress up nice for Gangam, shoes, trousers and such, it does matter even if you're a foreigner.

If you want more relaxed European nightclubs and that go to Hongdae/Hongik University, thats a fun youthful place with a few decent nightclubs and bars.
>>
>>1206228
Ah gotcha. I'm a white female (no, I'm not a fat koreaboo) I didn't think I'd stand out too much. And hope I don't need to be decked out in designer, I do like to dress nice hope that's good enough.
Good to know people are willing to help!

I do want to avoid all types of meat, I know they use fish or meat sauce to make a lot of their meals so I might have to be kind of flexible on that.

Also, yes Itaewon is the foreigner grounds but is it cliquey or easy to mingle with strangers? I'm traveling with someone but will be on my own for a portion of the trip.
>>
>>1206252
You'd be fine like that but Korean night clubs are a bit shit for girls really.
>Guy comes up and suddenly dances behind you
Like all the time, but they're safer than European/American ones overrall, I saw a Girl only Nightclub in ilsan, but couldn't decide if it was for Lesbians.

They eat Kimchi all the time, it's got fish in it. Anything cooked in Mirim too.

It's easy enough but like I said a lot of the foreigners are American Soldiers and they only want one thing.
>Two of my Friends, a Korean girl and a French girl were sat in Itaewon having a drink
>Americans start asking the French girl why she's hanging out with a Gook and she should come sit with them etc
This is what you're up against. I heavily advise you to avoid Itaewon. It's main selling point is that it's Western.
>>
>>1207004
That's most clubs though so that's fine. I've heard Korean men think white girls are easy and will try to lure them to hotels and whatnot.
You're not the first person to tell me to avoid Itaewon, maybe I'll do that thanks
>>
Hey guys,
I was wondering because I am going to Seoul for a study abroad in September, what school of these 4 is the most fun/best.
Hanyang University
University of Seoul
Soongsil university
Kyunghee university.

These 4 schools are pretty much the schools I can pick from as it is run in partnership with my school.
Been to Seoul twice now and pretty much now my way around but dont know anything about the universities itself.
>>
>>1207701
Itaewon is pretty shit IMO been to Seoul twice before and I dont like the people there in general.
This is coming from a guy tho.
I liked Hongdae more because the people are university age and are really nice in general in clubs like cocoon etc.
Itaewon is fine for dinner etc tho.
And if you dont like being surrounded by dickhead soldiers all the time then I think you should avoid Itaewon clubs.
Not saying everyone there is a dickhead but in my experiences I prefer the other places when it comes to clubbing.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.