[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teaching English in Taiwan/abroad in general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: Taiwan_Fotolia.jpg (7MB, 5616x1872px) Image search: [Google]
Taiwan_Fotolia.jpg
7MB, 5616x1872px
I'm looking at teaching jobs abroad in Asia for the next year as I'll be graduating in June. I've already been denied by the JET Programme, and have applied to a few private positions in Japan. I'm also looking at Taiwan. I've applied to Teaching Nomad, but they're reviews are all so suspiciously and overwhelmingly positive. I'm also on planning to apply for EPIK (South Korea) once they open up applications. Does anyone have any experience or advice for pursuing this kind of job? General teaching English abroad thread also.
>>
>>1205728
have you already done your esl certification? if so, which one did you do?
>>
>>1205732
No, I haven't, just getting a BA
>>
>>1205734
you need some type of esl certification now to do EPIK so you should look into that. that's what im trying to work on.
>>
>>1205735
I'm on the EPIK website right now and it explicitly says teaching licenses and ESL certification are not prerequisites.
>>
>>1205735
>>1205737
Oh, I see I was misreading it. Well, I guess I won't be applying for that one.
>>
File: engurishtechur.jpg (922KB, 2046x1341px) Image search: [Google]
engurishtechur.jpg
922KB, 2046x1341px
>>1205728
Is this you?
>>
In a couple years i will graduate with a bachelor in secondary education and a bachelor of global studies, how possible is it to go teach overseas (not necessarily english) say in international schools. I also have a UK and AUS passport
>>
Hey OP, I'm Canadian and i just got into the EPIK program. Starting work in late Feb after I go backpacking for 3 weeks. Be prepared for a ridiculously long application process, it was about 6 months of waiting. You need to get your shit in stupidly early for and then you'll be twiddling your thumbs for some time. I'd apply right now for the next intake even tho youre not done your degree, so you can start in September.
It helps to be female, white and attractive in that order. Good luck
>>
>>1206336
what type of certification did you complete?
>>
>>1206520
TEFL online 120 course. Stupidly easy, like wow why did I even have to take that. I was involved in the last intake ever to be allowed to have an online TEFL-type certificate, from now on the increasing competitveness of the job market warrants them hiring only people with a degree + a tefl/celta/whatever certificate with an in-class component, a MUCH more expensive deal.
>>
>>1206632
Who was it with?
>>
You definitely don't need TEFL to get a job in Taiwan. If you want to get a job there, your best bet is to book an airbnb, catch a flight there, find the English teachers' Facebook group in whatever city your looking at and start looking at job offers. By far the best way to do it. Yeah, it feels kind of scary but you will find a job, guaranteed.
>>
>>1206329
The fuck is global studies?

Having an actual Education degree puts you in a weird position for ESL teaching - you are overqualified for it, but without any teaching experience in your home country, you are conversely somewhat underqualified to work in international schools.

My suggestion would be to work as a mainstream teacher (preferably 2 years of experience), then start applying for international schools in whatever country you want to work in. International school salaries will dwarf that of ESL, bonus & working conditions will most likely also be far greater.

There is probably a lot of competition for these positions, so you may need even more experience, or some record of teaching achievement. Knowing the native language to some degree would also help I imagine.
>>
>>1206771
With a masters in teaching you can get a uni position though. Which are highly coveted
>>
>>1206835
What type of position we talking here? Teaching low level courses in Teaching degrees? Why would they take you over natives with PhDs/Masters?
>>
>>1205728
Have fun running off to a meme job in an irrelevant country.
>>
>>1206771

Honestly, it just couples with the degree. E.g. Global studies and Secondary education will have you teaching geography and social sciences and subjects like that. Kind of gives you an edge over just have an Education degree, plus you learn a language and some other cool stuff.

Thanks for the info though.
>>
>>1207232
That's what I'm saying. Be a native English speaker with a masters in teaching. Then teach English at a university in another country where English is desirable (almost all of them)
>>
>>1206632
how do you know they won't be hiring people with online only certificates anymore?
>>
>>1207258
thanks, i will
>>
>>1207258
While this douchenozzle shit posts from the computer that was probably made in Taiwan.
Fucking plebs.. lock your basement door, mom doesnt want to see you fapping to disney cartoons again.
>>
>>1207333
What if I'm not a native speaker? I have a masters in teaching and a C2 cert in English. I'm also a native Spanish speaker but idk if there's any demand for that.

It seems to me that for most Asian countries you're shit out of luck if you're not a native as you are simply not allowed to get a work visa. Many of you guys have worked over there, have you ever met any non-natives teaching ESL or maybe even another language?
>>
>>1207375
>I'm also a native Spanish speaker but idk if there's any demand for that.

That is the sorta thing you can do on the side, let people get to know you, word spreads, get some people hitting you up on line or something for tutoring. There's always someone interested in Spanish, even if English is much more in demand.
>>
>>1207375
Ah i didn't catch that. Yeah you're shit outta luck for most countries if you want a nice comfy English teaching position. I've only seen shady jobs for people who arent natives. I heard they're more lax in SE asia though. Good luck.

Though spanish is niche enough that you could teach that honestly.
>>
>>1207602
>>1207574
Cheers lads
>>
I've got a kinda strange question for those teaching in highschools:

If the school has a sports team (more specifically, basketball), is the trainer/coach one of the teachers or is it an actual trainer/coach? I understand that this depends on the school, but what are your experiences?
I really want to teach English in Asia/Japan, but I also want to continue being involved with basketball.
>>
>>1207882
It probably depends on the school, just like in the USA. Places with more prestigious athletic departments will have coaches. Of course, this is just conjecture.

I'm kinda with you though. They asked me if I could teach anything besides English. I shrugged and said History and Baseball. I'd love to connect with the local baseball scene.
>>
>>1208007
Did you get the baseball gig though? Or just the English teaching?
>>
>>1208014
I haven't even gotten anything yet.
>>
>>1208024
Damn. Good luck m8
>>
>>1206771
Good way to transition from ESL to international school teaching?
>>
>>1205728
Would /trv/ have any advice working in Japan vs in Korea or Taiwan or China? I mean, most likely I'm going to be working for HESS in Taiwan anyway, and that really doesn't seem that much better than any private company in Japan. Except AEON. AEON looks like utter shit.
>>
Get a tourist visa which will give you ( i forget) 60-90 days instead of the standard 30 days. You can renew it 3 times within Taiwan. After that you need to do a visa run to Hongkong... then just fly back and stay again. During that time, you are hitting the bricks at every school in sight.
By the way.. dont expect your first job to be even 20 hours. It will be more like 2 hours at most.. like $60USD.

Till they really accept you fully and will do the whole visa thing for you.

Forget about applying online, its useless.
Forget about Japan.. they will not hire you unless you have some insane qualifications for a job they cant give to a local Japanese.
>>
>>1205728
>I'm also looking at Taiwan.
I wouldn't bother, DESU. Pay is low and has been stagnant for well over a decade. The birth rate is about 60% of replacement and has been for a while, so there just aren't any kiddies to teach. The remaining ESL teachers are getting desperate.

>>1206329
Get your "certified teacher" thing, whatever that is for your country. Once you do that, you can make good money at it.

>>1207375
You can teach Spanish (not much demand for it). Almost nowhere will allow you to teach English. Maybe Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos. Thailand and Taiwan and Korea and Japan won't give you a work permit for English teaching unless you have a passport from an English-speaking country. (BTW, India and Philippines aren't, no matter how much they try to pretend.)

>>1208066
See above.
>>
>>1206705
BridgeTEFL

>>1207336
I've read that about a dozen times now from EPIK's own newsletters and posts on Waygook. I think it says so on the EPIK website.
>>
>>1205779
>food crumb on paper

I'm dying
>>
>>1205735
>>1205737
>>1205739

I am doing EPIK right now so ask me anything.

Btw I didn't meet anyone at the orientation who had no teaching experience who didn't have a bachelors and TEFL certificate. So definitely look into getting one before you apply. It is not particularly expensive. I did one that was 30 hours in class and 90 hours online and that was enough for them. On your application just talk about what you learned about teaching from the course
>>
>>1208061
Just as an aside, I'm a teacher from Australia who has NOT taught overseas. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'll try and answer this as someone who has done a little bit of digging into ESL/International teaching etc.

ESL Teaching is, quite frankly, not really seen as anything major in the field of Education. Exceptions I can see are working with Indigenous populations e.g. remote Northern Territory, but even then you are not just doing ESL teaching, you are still teaching math, science, history and so on. I'm not saying this to disparage ESL teachers, I'm just letting you in on a harsh fact -If you think that simply having an ESL qualification is going to let you step foot in an international school, it ain't going to happen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but ESL teaching requirements seem to be at least a requirement of a 3 year degree (I know someone with no degree, no teaching experience, who worked for a year in italy as an ESL teacher, so under-qualified people are making it through cracks it seems), so you should have qualifications. So your first step is ensuring that you have a Bachelors/Masters in whatever you wish to teach, as well as any further qualification required (teaching qualification/certificate).

You're also going to need actual teaching experience in that subject, if you're wanting to teach science, but only have ESL experience, that aint going to work. International schools seem to desire about 2 years of experience. But these positions are going to be competitive, so make sure you have a track record of experience worth something. A mountain of difference if you can say "3 years of experience, and in each year I was able to move student achievement by x%/raised attendance". That would separate you from the pack.

tldr
>Get qualified (Bachelors/Masters)
>Get experience/References
>Apply

Pretty much like every other job (not being snarky).
>>
>>1208994
Can you expand on the qualifications of the people you met at your orientation?

e.g. Majors, amount of teaching experience, why they were doing epik etc

I'm curious, if you can teach in your native land and command a far greater salary, why do ESL teaching. I understand the desire to travel, but is losing 2/3 of your salary really a good trade-off?
>>
>>1209012
Hmmm okay, and typically they require bachelor degrees (4 years). Most of the people they put in there seem like filler but a few seem to make it into international schools teaching English, teaching in higher paying ESL schools in the gulf or parts of Asia or other management positions in ESL schools.

I have a bachelors but I guess I'd need a Masters and a teaching qualification if I want a shot.
>>
>>1208994
any advice for actually filling out the application and answering the interview questions? how did you come up with your lesson plans, etc?
also, how common is it to have a non-teaching spouse that goes with you?
and one more question, how did you complete your classroom time for the certification? did you arrange it with a school or...?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.