[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm actually very happy that this is my first /trv/ thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

I'm actually very happy that this is my first /trv/ thread. Long time lurker, first time poster in this board. Hope y'all are having great adventures around the globe.

What I want to ask is this: what are some good places to visit during the winter in Europe? I'll be studying in Portugal and I'll arrive there next week. I have a week off to travel but I still don't know where to go since it's winter and I don't know how much worse the cities get.
>>
Depends on what you like, what your budget is...
You can always just visit the neighbor, Malaga or Madrid or something. I personally love winter, so if I could I would have my winter base in Innsbruck or Zurich or wherever.
The south of Europe still has relatively warm weather, if you're not into the cold.
>>
>>1201010
Thanks for replying so fast, anon.
Student budget (aka I'm poor). I've never been in a place with actual snow so bear that in mind, this for me is a first time lol.
Hm, Spain is a good idea! Austria is a bit far and I'll be travelling later to Germany, so I'll think about visiting it then.

What I like? I like places with a good nightlife, but not club stuff and more outdoor stuff. I don't like very moody/rude people and I heard this can be a problem during the winter. I want to get an authentic feeling of the places I go to (walking around, getting to know what natives do, this sort of thing). I never did any winter activities but I would like to try some cool stuff out if possible. I'm not very picky, I want places that don't feel empty, or too cold, with interesting things to see and a decent nightlife.
>>
The south of Spain is nice. Especially Sevilla and Granada.
>>
File: Cheap flights from Lisbon.png (176KB, 1436x1540px) Image search: [Google]
Cheap flights from Lisbon.png
176KB, 1436x1540px
>>1201009
If you stay near Lisboa you can fly almost anywhere around europe for $80 or less for a roundtrip thanks to EasyJet and Ryanair.
>pic related

Anything else, you can go pretty much everywhere and find something cool.
>>
File: WP_20140304_17_10_15_Pro.jpg (216KB, 718x1277px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140304_17_10_15_Pro.jpg
216KB, 718x1277px
>>1201009
Which month is your week in? If around Carnival season I'd suggest Southern Spain and Sicily. Weather is still good. And the Carnival festivals and parades are awesome
>>
>>1201017
I can second this. Sevilla ain't particularly cheap, but it's a great town that can be done pretty well on a modest budget. The people party, the food is good, it's fucking beautiful and when you get low on dough you can more than amuse yourself just walking around seeing the sights. The people keep insane schedules there, though. They go to work in the morning after partying most of the night, take the early afternoon off for a nap, go back to work until early evening, then go out to dinner at 10PM. For 10 until 2AM or so they just wander around getting a bite and a drink here, another there, meeting friends in one place, then another. When you get up to have your coffee there will be students in the cafe drinking beer who have been up all night. Same could be true for the old man having a brandy at the next table. And the coffee will be delicious, served with scalded milk. Enjoy it with a bocadillo of jamon serrano and some tomato puree. If you haven't done this in your life I'd say you ought to.
>>
>>1201017
Alright, alright. Got a destination : Sevilla!
Btw I'm totally going to the Vatican too since I expect that it must be awesome around this time of the year. The atmosphere must be incredible in that place!

>>1201019
Nice, yeah, I heard about the low-cost flights. Thanks for the tip

>>1201073
In January, brah, actually I'm free from 22 January to 06 February. Sicily sounds good, maybe I should travel around a bit in Italy since I plan to visit the Vatican.

>>1201079
That sounds really awesome, exactly my cup of tea. Now I really want to go. Do you live in Sevilla?
>>
>>1201145
>Do you live in Sevilla?
Nope. I live in Brooklyn, but I've done a lot of traveling and Sevilla was one place that really impressed me. The people there are chill as fuck, the place is gorgeous and the food is really good. That's a motherfucking trifecta in my book. It was a place I really had trouble tearing myself away from. I mean everywhere I've been in Spain has been lovely, but something about Sevilla was more special. And before leaving Andalucia you can swing by Grenada (there is a bus), see the Alhambra and head back to Portugal feeling like you got the vibe of the place.

Also listen to the local accent. The drop the final "s" off words. You will hear it when they greet you. Just a thing there.
>>
>>1201019
On that note check Skyscanner everyday. I'm doing grad school in central London. I got a nice dinner out with my classmates for the new year. I realized that for the cost of that dinner I could have flown to Eastern Europe, gotten the nicest meal in town, stayed in a hostel, and flown back the next morning for less than the cost I paid to eat in London. And for perspective I paid 65 pounds.

For some fun motivation to travel frame your nights at the pub as airfare. 'Hrrm, Should I grab the next round or should I fly Rome'
>>
>>1201164
I spend all my travel money on accomodation and flights so I can't spend the money on beer.
>>
>>1201159
Nice, will do. I can understand some spanish so I'll definitly try no notice that!
>>1201164
>>1201197
Wew, good thing I don't plan to drink much when travelling. Skyscanner sounds like a good option
>>
Guys, I'm trying to make a travel plan.

So I have ~10/12 days to explore, and I think that I'll spend these days in Spain and in Italy. I'll be arriving in Portugal day 0 and since I'll live there I can explore it later on.

I was thinking in doing this

Porto (day 0)> Sevilla
Sevilla > Granada
Granada > Madrid
Madrid > Barcelona
Barcelona > Milan
Milan > Rome
Rome > Porto

But this seems too expensive and I don't think I have enough time. So I'm thinking about cutting it down to:

Porto > Sevilla
Sevilla > Madrid
Madrid > Milan
Milan > Rome
Rome > Porto

What do you guys think?
>>
Also, since this is my first time travelling in cold countries, how many pieces of clothing should I bring on this trip?
>>
>>1201762
Sound great! I would skip Milan, though. Or add literally anything else. Like Genova or Firenze or Napoli or Verona... Or Barcelona even.

Save Milan for when you have money to burn and ran out of everything else on the planet.
>>
>>1201762
Way too crazy buddy.
Take a day to settle in and sleep then cut it to 2-3 destinations you got so much time for weekend trips an with OPO a perfect starting location.
As it's now you will spend 90% of your time on buses/trains/planes and not see much beside your hostel.

It's winter so most of spain & italy is pretty depressing. No snow, cold and most of the vegetation is grey. Those places really start to shine in early spring or later.

This took me 5mins, you have to travel with a carry-on bag (55 x 40 x 20 cm and max weight of 10kg):
You could fly out from Porto to Milano MXP for 17€ on the 22, fly from there to Munich for 28€ on the 26-28, see the alps or take a day trip to Salzburg and fly back to Porto from Memmingen on the 31.1 for €17 or 2.2 for 20€.
>>
>>1201796
Yeah, I'm also starting to think that I wanted to do too many things. If Italy is not so great this time of the year, is it a good choice to go to Milan?
>>
>>1202769
My opinion on milan is it is never great unless you want to go to the opera, watch a football match or take your GF to a binge shopping spree.

But as it's your first time traveling around europe I'm sure you won't notice it as it is different, new and exciting so go for it and it's a good base for day trips like to venice, south tyrol like Meran or Bozen...
>>
>>1201009
welcome out of the lurker zone anon. I got out of mine after I realize I have a trip this month.

Since you're traveling on a budget, you best be traveling for sightseeing most of the time, then you best try going for places with festival where money isn't completely mandatory. http://travelaway.me/best-winter-festivals-europe/
>>
>>1201763
too broad, you need to identify places first.
I'm doing fine with a fleece coat and 2 layers inside.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.