[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpacking South America vs SEA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: index.jpg (9KB, 198x255px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9KB, 198x255px
So, I'll be graduating soon, and I've got 11k to spend on a backpacking trip.

I'm trying to decide between South America and Southeast Asia.

I'd like to be able to be on the road for a year in total.

I speak Spanish decently, and I'd like to solidify it, so South America seems appealing to me, but I never see South American trips on this board.

Is there a reason for that?

Also, considering an African trip as an alternative.

Thoughts? And what would the relative costs be for these three destinations? Can I realistically backpack any of them for a year on 11k?
>>
Patagonia
/thread
>>
argentinian south
>>
>>1198654
>but I never see South American trips on this board.
>Is there a reason for that?
Maybe you don't lurk enough, no offence. There are occasional South America threads here on /trv/.

It's difficult for us random unknown anons to just choose for you. Knowing Spanish is a great plus. You probably don't need me to tell you South America is an awesome continent.

11k is perfectly possible if you mainly stick to Peru, Bolivia, and I assume Ecuador.

You are right though, SEA seems to be the standard backpacking destination. Maybe because it's cheap, and doesn't have a negative rep like other cheap places like South America, which is totally undeserved.
>>
11k for a year isn't a lot, after airfare you'll have 800-900 a month? between regional traveling and accommodation you wont have too much left over, it's still doable but I'd find it boring

is there a reason for a year? you could do a great trip from colombia to argentina with that budget and a few months

if you want to be gone that long, maybe try teaching english?

there's an anon in africa with a thread right now, should read it to see why people don't backpack there

>>1198704
>You are right though, SEA seems to be the standard backpacking destination.

SEA doesn't get cold, you don't need to bring a 30L+ bag there as you just need your regular clothes and a waterproof windbreaker, a lot of trips to SEA tend to be getting drunk and going to the beach
>>
>>1198859
>should read it to see why people don't backpack there
Not that anon, but could you give me a tl;dr as to why?
>>
>>1198654
i have never been to SEA, but common sense says that if you're a beginner, south america will be easier.

You can start at the amazon rainforest, going down from peru to argentina, then up to uruguay until you reach rio.

desu, with one year and 11k, I would do both, with rest time in between.
>>
I just did both in one long trip. I highly recommend SE Asia based on the culture and the sheer adventure. Culturally all of South America is much closer to the west. It just doesn't feel anywhere near as exotic as any of the SE Asian countries. And it's definitely more expensive to travel around.

11k will take you far in SE Asia, but to be honest with you, it's not going to last you a year unless you eat street food every day, stay in hostels 100% of the time, and skip any sort of remotely expensive experiences (tours, etc).

I recommend aiming for a shorter amount of time - after 8 months you'll be tired of traveling anyway- or staying in one place and picking up work along the way.

South America is incredible culturally, with women that IMO blow away all other parts of the world, but you'd have more fun there when you're in you late 20's and have a larger budget.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.