[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi /trv/ I want do drop everything and just leave. I just want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Trdelník.jpg (711KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Trdelník.jpg
711KB, 1440x2392px
hi /trv/

I want do drop everything and just leave. I just want to see this world.

The new year, 2017 got me thinking about how I want to spend this year. I'm 21. I have a good software job at a big tech company. I worked hard to get here. I did it...right? But I'm not sure if I'm happy...

I spend a most of my days looking at flights, and travel deals and blogs and stories. I could tell you Southwest or Norwegian's route map by heart. I dream of going backpacking and getting lost in the alley ways of Prague or hiking the great wall again. I miss the street foods of Korea. Whenever I'm at work, I long for the of hiking, the sun, the beaches, the food, the people, the temples, the cultures. I try to spend almost every moment out and about traveling/road tripping/hiking. If have this itch if I'm not moving and out and about.

I can't stand that I'm cooped up in an office all day, 9-6, every week. By the time I leave work and get home, I'm exhausted. I hate the idea that I need to accumulate vacation days. I can't stand that I only get 3 weeks a year. 3 weeks?!

Can someone give me advice? Does anyone feel like this? Please don't get me wrong. I'm so incredibly thankful for what I have. I've never told anyone about this, and I feel like I can't talk to anyone about this. No one I know I could relate. I know that I'm young, and I have so much time ahead of me. But that doesn't' make me feel better.

I've thought about taking saving for a year or two, quitting my job, and just traveling. But that's so radical. Couldn't imagine telling my family that I would give up a high paying job to be an uppaid backpacker. Also, I don't permanently want this. I want to do it now, when i'm young. I'm I being crazy? I'm I ungrateful? Can someone who can relate, put in my place or give me their thoughts?

Pic not OC, but it's Trdelník from Prague
>>
>>1198261
Clearly it's not a big enough company or you'd have more than three weeks (or you're in the third world which is understandable too). Just fucking go nigga. But make sure you have enough money to support yourself.
>>
>>1198272

3 week/15 vacation days is pretty average in the US
>>
>>1198261
Fellow American here. I quit my job 2 weeks ago. It was the same thing. 8:00 am to 5:30 PM. Useless corporate job that contributed nothing to society.
I've got 17 k in loans. and another 2k on credit card I need to pay back.
That being said I didn't spend a lifetime of getting a great education and doing fantastic in college to work for just above minimum wage and die in a fucking shitty office selling some bullshit.

I'm personally considering joining the military as an officer. I'm looking more into it, thinking Navy officer. I know I can pass both physical and mental exams. Just need to prep more.

It's an option that lets me get past the usual bullshit of mundane life. I'm going to use it as an opportunity to travel, to learn useful skills, to gain experience etc.

Point in all this is happiness. Just like you mentioned. If you aren't happy fuck the office job. Fuck the mundane. Fuck money. You have between now and maybe 60 years at most before you croak OP. When you imagine opening your eyes one day and being 60 in bed how do you want to remember it?

"lol that was a whacky Christmas party we had back in 2033!"
>>
>>1198261
>Can someone give me advice?
>I've thought about taking saving for a year or two, quitting my job, and just traveling.
That's what I'm doing right now. Hang in there. Occupy your time fruitfully(?) while you're working. Make sure you walk out with more skills/knowledge than you walked in with. In the meantime, try to take weekend trips and make sure you don't "burn out". There are so many people that work a job for 3-4 months but then crash and burn because they can't handle it.

And hey, if push comes to shove (or if you've got stones), give your boss an ultimatum: you can work from a distance 100% or you walk out.
>>
>>1198447
Most software companies have "unlimited vacation" unless they're government contractors. Even in the US.
>>
>>1198261
Have you looked into getting a job that sends you places?

I majored in Construction Management and am fluent in Spanish, French, and German, They send me all over, i'll be in Chile for 9 weeks, then Montana for 9 weeks, the Southern Germany for 9 weeks, etc. i get weekends off so i get to explore the areas super fucking well

Good luck, but quitting your job might sound not bad right now, but later in life its gonna fuck ya
>>
>>1198478
Lol yeah ok, are you retarded?

No way you're from the U.S., even in software if you take more than a couple weeks off don't expect to come back to a job.

Of course there are exceptions.
>>
>>1198261
This thread again
Just go bitch. And when you finish traveling you'll have job experience
>>
>>1198583
That's my point, friend. They give you "unlimited vacation" because they know that people are suckers and won't take as much time off as someone that gets a finite 3-4 weeks simply out of moral obligation. I'm not saying you should just drop everything and leave.

Also, please don't tease my about my disability.
>>
>>1198261
Hi, first time I've visited /trv/, I am exactly the same as you. Down to constantly looking at flights and building mock journeys. I'm 27 and work in Media. Similarly, dropping everything is scary.

I'm going to use all my annual leave this year to see some interesting places and then see how I feel. I have no debt and only a modest car payment so I could theoretically leave.
>>
>>1198261
>I can't stand that I'm cooped up in an office all day, 9-6, every week. By the time I leave work and get home, I'm exhausted. I hate the idea that I need to accumulate vacation days. I can't stand that I only get 3 weeks a year. 3 weeks?!
Pay your dues now, kid. Get some time at the current job to pad your resume so you don't look transient, flaky, disloyal, untrustworthy, or even mentally ill, for a new hire down the line somewhere else. Dream about your overtime accumulating into more than 3 weeks off by being clever with it. Use 2 days at a time sandwiching your weekends, especially the 3 day weekends, to give you 4-5 days at a time. Stop dreaming of far off or places needing a 14hr flight like asia as much as your ability to dream of 5 days driving around Nova Scotia, or skiing in New England, or going to NOLA for jazz and heritage.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.